ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mel Stottlemeyer Dead At 77

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Too young to see him play, but remember him as a huge part of the Yankee dynasty of the late 90s. Great pitching coach.

RIP

Always a good pitcher, and was lethal once he got through the first inning. Saw him best Denny McLain 2-1 the year he won 30. RIP.

Remember when he came up in 1964, and the ITP grand slam, I think vs. the Red Sox. Great sinkerball pitcher and a calming influence as a pitching coach. May he RIP.

Became a Yankee fan in 1966 and he was the lone bright spot for many years. A great pitching coach and seemed to be one of nicest guys on the planet. RIP

Reactions: UMRU
Remember when he came up in 1964, and the ITP grand slam, I think vs. the Red Sox. Great sinkerball pitcher and a calming influence as a pitching coach. May he RIP.

July 20, 1965 - Mel Stottlemyre hits a rocket to Death Valley (left-center field) against Red Sox starter Bill Monbouquette in the bottom of the fifth inning with Joe Pepitone, Clete Boyer and Roger Repoz on board. Left fielder Carl Yastrzemski hustled down the ball and relayed to shortstop Rico Petrocelli who relayed to catcher Bill Tillman. Stottlemyre made a great slide and the ball bounced past the catcher. Pittsburgh pitcher Deacon Phillippe in 1910 is the only other pitcher in MLB history to hit an inside-the-park grand slam.

Back on September 26, 1964, he went 5 for 5 against Washington Senators pitcher Claude Osteen and three others. Stottlemyre gave up a first inning single and a third inning double and shut out the Senators 7-0.

Last edited:
July 20, 1965 - Mel Stottlemyre hits a rocket to Death Valley (left-center field) against Red Sox starter Bill Monbouquette in the bottom of the fifth inning with Joe Pepitone, Clete Boyer and Roger Repoz on board. Left fielder Carl Yastrzemski hustled down the ball and relayed to shortstop Rico Petrocelli who relayed to catcher Bill Tillman. Stottlemyre made a great slide and just avoided getting tagged out.

I don't know of any other inside-the-park grand slam hit by a pitcher in MLB history except the one hit by Mel Stottlemyre.
Really interesting. Bet it was an old fashioned hook slide.

Stottlemyre had a really good breaking ball & great control. Excellent pitcher.

I remember Mel Stottlemeyer as an outstanding pitcher and pitching coach. He had the misfortune to spend all but 1964 with the Yankees at their worst; otherwise he would have been much better celebrated. RIP.

Had Mel been on those Oriole or A’s teams in the late 60’s early 70’s, he’d of been the number one starter... yes over Palmer and Catfish.
You don’t end your career with an era under 3 on those awful teams unless you’re special.
IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
He'll very likely be the last pitcher to get 5 at bats in a World Series game-going 0 for 5-as he did in 1964's Game 2.Yogi left him in to go all the way,not trusting his Ramos missing bullpen.

Had Mel been on those Oriole or A’s teams in the late 60’s early 70’s, he’d of been the number one starter... yes over Palmer and Catfish.
You don’t end your career with an era under 3 unless you’re special.
IMO
It depends on the era in which the player is from.Lefty Grove has an ERA of over 3 lifetime,yet he's in the conversation of being regarded the greatest of all time because his time was a big offense era,while Mel pitched in a run scarce era.Still,he'd be right there if he were on the Orioles.

As I remember, that 1964 Yankees team just barely won the pennant. I don't think they would have done it without Stottlemeyer's rookie pitching down the stretch.

He'll very likely be the last pitcher to get 5 at bats in a World Series game-going 0 for 5-as he did in 1964's Game 2.Yogi left him in to go all the way,not trusting his Ramos missing bullpen.
Not following you, he won the game 8-3

Unfortunately Whitey was hurt for game 7

Not following you, he won the game 8-3

Unfortunately Whitey was hurt for game 7
Pedro Ramos was not eligible for the Series.Originally,Yogi thought that he'd use Al Downing in a relief role,but had to scratch that plan after Whitey came up lame after Game 1 and had to use Downing as his Game 4 starter.When Yogi had to go to Pete Mikkelsen in Game 5,he got rocked.

I always picked Mel when playing Stratomatic baseball. Don’t know why he was a favorite of mine.

Pedro Ramos was not eligible for the Series.Originally,Yogi thought that he'd use Al Downing in a relief role,but had to scratch that plan after Whitey came up lame after Game 1 and had to use Downing as his Game 4 starter.When Yogi had to go to Pete Mikkelsen in Game 5,he got rocked.
Got you, you’re correct.
Pedro was not eligible for post season play!
Dad carried only 9 pitchers

As for never seeing a pitcher go 0-5 in A World Series again... I’d say maybe a 7th game with a scoring barrage where the pitcher leads off, hits twice in one inning and pitches a complete game:D.

Last edited:
s-l225.jpg

Every kid I knew back in the seventies had at least ten of these Slurpee cups (I guess there aren't many Seven-Elevens here in Jersey).

Lots of high praise in this thread for the man. RIP...

Called up to the show in August of 1964 and won 9 games with a 2.00 era.
Between him and Pedro Ramos they won the pennant for my dad.
RIP Mel...A great man.
Did you get to know him.
When your father was let go
Did you continue being a yankee fan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT