ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My daughter just got accepted into Rutgers!

Congratulations. My son received his acceptance to RU today, but he is going to Oberlin College to play lacrosse. Unfortunately RU Lax was not interested.

Sorry but just had to post it. She's been going to Rutgers football and basketball games since she was a baby.
She cried for a solid 5 minutes. I told her we're getting air mattresses for my wife and I so we can crash at her dorm room.

Congrats!

Congratulations. My son received his acceptance to RU today, but he is going to Oberlin College to play lacrosse. Unfortunately RU Lax was not interested.
Oberlin is an excellent liberal arts college. l I'm sure your son will get a wonderful education there, and it's great that he'll have an opportunity to play lacrosse.

Reactions: RUMountie
Welcome to all the parents who went to Rutgers, as well as their kids who also went on to be successful, thread! I’m one of them as well.

‘’Scarlet Jerry

Oberlin is an excellent liberal arts college. l I'm sure your son will get a wonderful education there, and it's great that he'll have an opportunity to play lacrosse.
Absolutely. Also my dad graduated from Oberlin class of 1951 so that is cool. My son has always been a Rutgers fan and his high school coach played lacrosse at RU so he was hoping to play big time lax, but he is very excited to have the chance to play lacrosse and possibly football at a great academic school.

Welcome to all the parents who went to Rutgers, as well as their kids who also went on to be successful, thread! I’m one of them as well.

‘’Scarlet Jerry
My wife and I are in that club (Cook College grads)....very proud of our kid at SEBS in the same dorm as we were.

Congrats Hamilton.

Last edited:
Congrats everyone.

not to hijack the thread … my older kid just found out today that he was offered a spot at the Honors College. For those of you with a kid in the Honors College - I would love to hear thoughts. He is holding out on hearing from UPenn which won’t come out until 3/31.

Congrats everyone.

not to hijack the thread … my older kid just found out today that he was offered a spot at the Honors College. For those of you with a kid in the Honors College - I would love to hear thoughts. He is holding out on hearing from UPenn which won’t come out until 3/31.
We could not be happier with the Honors College and Rutgers experience. Our kid is a junior double major in computer science and math. Even though first year was cut short and sophomore year was remote, the experience has been outstanding.

Congrats everyone.

@Knight Shift

My wife and I recently audited Chemisty of Art. Superb prof and experience!
Wow! Sounds like a great course! Hey, I'm currently writing a book on how to look at art and would love to take a look at the instructional materials from that course. Can you send me the reading list and/or the name of the prof? A DM on the site here would be fine.

Reactions: iReC89
Wow! Sounds like a great course! Hey, I'm currently writing a book on how to look at art and would love to take a look at the instructional materials from that course. Can you send me the reading list and/or the name of the prof? A DM on the site here would be fine.

Some info here:

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Congrats everyone.

Had two of my kids attend the RU honors program for undergrad. Both really enjoyed their undergrad experience in the program, made good friends in the honors program and did well in school there.

One has since graduated from law school (not RU), the other is in a PhD program for physical therapy (not RU). From what I've heard and seen, their friends have gone on to good (or great) grad schools. From our perspective, it was a great experience and did a great job of preparing them for their next steps.

Had two of my kids attend the RU honors program for undergrad. Both really enjoyed their undergrad experience in the program, made good friends in the honors program and did well in school there.

One has since graduated from law school (not RU), the other is in a PhD program for physical therapy (not RU). From what I've heard and seen, their friends have gone on to good (or great) grad schools. From our perspective, it was a great experience and did a great job of preparing them for their next steps.
I should point out that we also beat our kids very regularly, despite them being generally very well behaved. So, you know, it wasn't all the RU honors program.

Last edited:
Sorry but just had to post it. She's been going to Rutgers football and basketball games since she was a baby.
She cried for a solid 5 minutes. I told her we're getting air mattresses for my wife and I so we can crash at her dorm room.
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY .ESPECIALLY TO YOUR LITTLE GIRL.

Reactions: retired711
I love your post! Smart decision by the Admissions Dept., they have accepted a 'lifer' who will be eternally loyal and hopefully successful and generous in return.

Reactions: 198hamilton
My oldest graduated from the Honors College in 2021. Couldn’t be happier with the experience. She enjoyed it as well LOL. Double major in psychology and criminal justice. Currently a 1L at Seton Hall Law.
A much older RU (Eng'g)/ Seton Hall Law Grad here. Great combination. Seton Hall Law is a solid law school, and I enjoyed my time there.

A much older RU (Eng'g)/ Seton Hall Law Grad here. Great combination. Seton Hall Law is a solid law school, and I enjoyed my time there.
Seton Hall is indeed very solid. (I don't know if you ever met Paula Franzeze, a Property professor there.) In 2020, its NJ bar passage rate was 80%, as compared to 70% for law school graduates generally. https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view/89

Reactions: Knight Shift
Seton Hall is indeed very solid. (I don't know if you ever met Paula Franzeze, a Property professor there.) In 2020, its NJ bar passage rate was 80%, as compared to 70% for law school graduates generally. https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view/89
I remember Prof. Franzese well. She was a great Professor and an extremely nice person. Pat Hobbs was my tax law professor at Seton Hall. Pat was a great professor, and he is another great person. Very committed to his job. I had a feeling he would succeed as AD here.

Back to RU Honors College- one thing that I did not mention is the Honors College Building and dorm, if those with children who have been admitted have not visited, please visit. The building and dormitory is fantastic.

Reactions: iReC89
Thanks for the responses on the honors college. We will be signing up for a tour - I have yet to hear from anyone with something negative to say about the Honors College.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That’s awesome! Same as my daughter this year who is a freshman. Can’t get a better time to be going! Tell her to join the riot squad! Was the first thing my daughter did. Before she even stepped on campus! 😊

Reactions: 198hamilton
She also has written several books in the Short & Happy Guide" series. The book on Property is an excellent student aid. And my guess is that you thought she was very pretty!

lol. I took the class at a hotel in the shore region...the room had a lot of comments lol. But she's effective- probably the only professor from BarBri I remember by name, aside from one I knew from my own school.

Nephew made his decision. He circled back to his original favorite before coaches started recruiting him—Clemson. Rutgers didn’t lose him. Clemson won him. He liked the campus, the people, the coaches, and the brand new Business School building. I tried, but didn’t push. Zero for four with my nephews. Very, very happy for him.Running at the Nike Indoor Nationals today. Will run cross-country and track at Clemson. —Go Rutgers! Go Clemson !

Nephew made his decision. He circled back to his original favorite before coaches started recruiting him—Clemson. Rutgers didn’t lose him. Clemson won him. He liked the campus, the people, the coaches, and the brand new Business School building. I tried, but didn’t push. Zero for four with my nephews. Very, very happy for him.Running at the Nike Indoor Nationals today. Will run cross-country and track at Clemson. —Go Rutgers! Go Clemson !
Get out there now and make more kids as possible RU recruits. No excuses!

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Sorry, but my youngest sister is in her late 50s. We aren’t Italian, so I think the factory is closed lol.
50 is the new 20.

I would do my part and have lots more kids. But all the women I’ve spoken to about it, so far, balk when I mention my plans of having dozens so we can sell a bunch, especially the daughters who would fetch millions in their early teens, to pay for bigger RUFB donations, and sports cars and stuff like that.

It’s a good plan. Still scratching my head over their reluctance. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: HeavenUniv.
50 is the new 20.

I would do my part and have lots more kids. But all the women I’ve spoken to about it, so far, balk when I mention my plans of having dozens so we can sell a bunch, especially the daughters who would fetch millions in their early teens, to pay for bigger RUFB donations, and sports cars and stuff like that.

It’s a good plan. Still scratching my head over their reluctance. 🤔

I just did my part. My oldest told us last night he is going to choose RU over the other schools he was accepted to. In reality he made the decision all by himself with no pressure from me (my wife wanted him to go to SHU since she is an Alumnus). Him going to RU football games starting at 2 years old might have swayed him.

I am pretty sure, with the exception of West Virginia, you are not allowed to sell off children in America.

I just did my part. My oldest told us last night he is going to choose RU over the other schools he was accepted to. In reality he made the decision all by himself with no pressure from me (my wife wanted him to go to SHU since she is an Alumnus). Him going to RU football games starting at 2 years old might have swayed him.
👍

Reactions: scarlet night
Now get back out there and make more kids.

The honors college is a great experience both kids attended, one went to UVA, for her PHD, now teaches and holds a chair at a major Univ., Son is a Managing Dir. At an NYC investment bank, and I retired five years earlier than If they had gone Ivy. Son did his Henry Rutgers thesis with Joe Seneca, just an unbelievable experience.
Biggest piece of advice would be you need to focus on what you want and demand the best from both RU and yourself, it's all there you just need to seek it out.

No need to apologize. When my son got in it was a really happy day. He only applied to Rutgers so there’s that. He got in early admission and if he didn’t he would have been able to apply to several others but he just didn’t want to go anywhere else. His guidance counselor asked if he got into Rutgers but also any of his other schools would he consider any others? He said basically, no! So she said apply to Rutgers and don’t waste time and application fees. She was right.

Congrats on your daughter.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT