ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New car SUV

Lol...i think the writers are all confused themselves now. How can the wheelbase be shorter than the Traverse/Enclave, but longer than the XT5/Acadia? Did Caddy get a 3rd unique version of the same platform? Doesn't make any sense, considering the first 2 versions are already on a related platform just different wheelbase.

The idea of the modular platforms is that they're dimensionally independent to a great extent because cars are no longer body-on-frame. The platforms are an architecture with a high degree of shared components.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Lol...i think the writers are all confused themselves now. How can the wheelbase be shorter than the Traverse/Enclave, but longer than the XT5/Acadia? Did Caddy get a 3rd unique version of the same platform? Doesn't make any sense, considering the first 2 versions are already on a related platform just different wheelbase.
Wait, I think the XT5/Acadia are on a different frame/platform than the Enclave and Traverse. This article I linked says the XT6 is on the Enclave/Traverse platform, but just 6 inches shorter for some reason (no idea why).

I always said if Mazda would commit to more horsepower they wouldn't be able to build cars fast enough.

A CX-5 with 250 hp would absolutely dominate the segment. It wouldn't even be close. There would be one in my driveway right now.
The CX5 turbo just came out. Will be looking at it for my wife soon. They also have the “Signature” trim, which gives you all the bells and whistles for less than the base price of the Audi. And nothing handles like a Mazda.
(BTW, we have the Q5 now- won’t get it again. Waaay over priced.)

The CX5 turbo just came out. Will be looking at it for my wife soon. They also have the “Signature” trim, which gives you all the bells and whistles for less than the base price of the Audi. And nothing handles like a Mazda.
(BTW, we have the Q5 now- won’t get it again. Waaay over priced.)

I've been saying this for years - do not buy luxury / performance vehicles new. Get them when they're a year or two old, have less than 20k miles on them, come with full CPO (6 year / 100,000 mile) warranties and some other poor schmuck has already choked on the initial 10-20k depreciation.

The downside is that you're not getting "this year's model". The upside is that you're getting a great deal at the expense of all those people who think that having this year's model is the most important thing in the world.

I've been saying this for years - do not buy luxury / performance vehicles new. Get them when they're a year or two old, have less than 20k miles on them, come with full CPO (6 year / 100,000 mile) warranties and some other poor schmuck has already choked on the initial 10-20k depreciation.

The downside is that you're not getting "this year's model". The upside is that you're getting a great deal at the expense of all those people who think that having this year's model is the most important thing in the world.
And some people (or their spouse) are nutty about getting something brand new vs. "used".

And some people (or their spouse) are nutty about getting something brand new vs. "used".

Again, this is a Man Card thing. As long as there are no significant feature deficits (technical debt) then it shouldn't matter. If the vehicle you're looking at is in Year 3 of a particular generation, there's zero reason to not buy one that's in Year 2.

Again, this is a Man Card thing. As long as there are no significant feature deficits (technical debt) then it shouldn't matter. If the vehicle you're looking at is in Year 3 of a particular generation, there's zero reason to not buy one that's in Year 2.
What's the right parameters for a used car? How old and how many miles (or less)?

What's the right parameters for a used car? How old and how many miles (or less)?

Not "used". "Certified Pre-Owned".

I look for dealer program cars. My current two cars('15 A3 and '17 VW Golf SportWagen") have been dealer or manufacturer program cars. These are the cars that the employees get to drive for six months to a year, then they go on the lot as CPOs. The Audi was 6 months old and had 4000 miles on it, the VW was 11 months old and had 11,000 miles on it. I got both of them for 10k off the original MSRP, and both came with 6 year / 100k mile warranties, both were in showroom condition when I drove them away.

The more common alternative is to get a car off lease. These are usually two to three years old and mileage will vary. Fortune rewards the slow and steady shopper. My wife's A4 was 2 model years old when she bought it 3 years ago, it had 17k miles on it and she paid $27k, out the door. That's for a car that had a number on the original Monroney sticker of just under $42k.

Per the underlined above, it can take me more than a year to buy a car. That's because I first identify exactly what I want, then I spend as long as it takes for the exact item to pop up in inventory somewhere.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Anyone have any feedback on using the Costco Auto purchase plan. The couple of folks I know that used it rave about it.
The best. Tell Costco what you want. A local dealer calls you within 15 minutes. You head to the dealer. In ten minutes, the price sheet is in front of you. No one is smiling except you. Used them several times. Also FYI the Honda Passport is coming out this month. Between the Pilot and CRV in size. Hope this helps. $$$$

They’ll all on the C1XX platform. The question is whether the XT6 is on the C1XX standard or long wheelbase. The 112.7” is the standard wheelbase. Not sure why Caddy would have both the XT5 and XT6 on the same wheelbase though (if the source is correct). Overall length of CT5 is only 189”. My wife’s GMC Acadia measures 194” and is ‘3-row’. The Traverse/Enclave is 204”. The Traverse/Enclave are effectively longer than the Escalade. Maybe that’s the reason.

The best. Tell Costco what you want. A local dealer calls you within 15 minutes. You head to the dealer. In ten minutes, the price sheet is in front of you. No one is smiling except you. Used them several times. Also FYI the Honda Passport is coming out this month. Between the Pilot and CRV in size. Hope this helps. $$$$

I worked through Costco last September to get a Nissan Rogue. Get your Costco membership if you don't have one already. The Costco website will let you pick out the type of car you want and refer you to the dealership they work with. They can call you or you can go there, your choice. There will be specific salesmen who handle the Costco stuff. Costco REQUIRES the dealership to give you every available dealer incentive, in writing. And the copy is sent to Costco. On top of that will be a Costco discount. In my case is was about 1.5%. No need to haggle at all. Whether you buy, lease, trade in (or not), it is that simple. Wouldn't do it any other way again.

I wonder how many people on this board are actually car salesman that are just pushing the brands they sell:joy::joy::joy:

Reactions: Plum Street
Not "used". "Certified Pre-Owned".

I look for dealer program cars. My current two cars('15 A3 and '17 VW Golf SportWagen") have been dealer or manufacturer program cars. These are the cars that the employees get to drive for six months to a year, then they go on the lot as CPOs. The Audi was 6 months old and had 4000 miles on it, the VW was 11 months old and had 11,000 miles on it. I got both of them for 10k off the original MSRP, and both came with 6 year / 100k mile warranties, both were in showroom condition when I drove them away.

The more common alternative is to get a car off lease. These are usually two to three years old and mileage will vary. Fortune rewards the slow and steady shopper. My wife's A4 was 2 model years old when she bought it 3 years ago, it had 17k miles on it and she paid $27k, out the door. That's for a car that had a number on the original Monroney sticker of just under $42k.

Per the underlined above, it can take me more than a year to buy a car. That's because I first identify exactly what I want, then I spend as long as it takes for the exact item to pop up in inventory somewhere.
Where do you look for inventory - assuming cars.com, car fax dealer websites? Anywhere else?

Where do you look for inventory - assuming cars.com, car fax dealer websites? Anywhere else?

I like cars.com, but it's really a matter of personal preference. Once I've got it narrowed to a specific vehicle I'll also check dealer web sites because sometimes they have inventory listed that for some reason doesn't make it to the aggregation sites like cars.com.

Reactions: B0ski

Now you tell me. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT