ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New car SUV

98’ Wrangler - it was my wedding present to
Myself. I commute every day and walk to the train but she’s a part of the family and when I get a chance on the weekends... I love it.

Top is never on and the doors are ever barely on.

Agree. Track cars generally are poor DD and using your sporty DD for the track will end up costing you big $$$. Unless you have $5 million stashed away, kart racing is IMO a better (as in cheaper) way to enjoy the track.

If I were doing it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would've gotten into carting heavily as a youth. Which surely, after quickly moving up through all the various junior series, would've eventually resulted in me having won a couple Formula One championships.

Surely.

I've actually researched this. They have age groups in karting. It's not a bad idea.

I know all that stuff about the driving experience etc, and I'm ok with it. I would take it off-road maybe once a year with my boys, but that's it. I have a short commute so I don't care if it's a bumpy ride.

I'm more concerned with the image the Wrangler may project. Is it a kid's car? Is it the same thing as a middle-aged guy driving a Mustang GT? Is it ridiculous for a man wearing a suit to be getting into and out of a Wrangler at board meetings?
Get what your heart desires, I also have a 2017 JKUR and I love it. Its actually my fave car i've ever owned. I'm 34 and live in socal so it totally suits the Beach/4 wheeling lifestyle and its just cool. I've seen people from 16 to 65 or over driving these.

As other posters said, its not going to be a great ride if you are used to quiet and creature comforts but i love everything about it.

I know all that stuff about the driving experience etc, and I'm ok with it. I would take it off-road maybe once a year with my boys, but that's it. I have a short commute so I don't care if it's a bumpy ride.

I'm more concerned with the image the Wrangler may project. Is it a kid's car? Is it the same thing as a middle-aged guy driving a Mustang GT? Is it ridiculous for a man wearing a suit to be getting into and out of a Wrangler at board meetings?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/21/why-these-5-billionaires-still-drive-these-cheap-cars.html

I wouldn't worry about it..... they dont..

Reactions: mildone

A fully-loaded Mustang GT Premium is now the better part of 50 large. It's not a kid's car.

So too is the Wrangler Unlimited. Yet half of the driver's I see with it are kids.
if ur that concerned about image, where do you stop? Driving an accord will make you look like a cheapskate if you are so worried about board meetings. Go MB S Class then.

Find the car you want. Put the make and model into the Costco Auto Program website.. You will receive a call with 15 minutes from a local dealer. Head down and they will put the price sheet in front of you within five minutes. Buy the car. No one will be doing the happy dance other than you. Best of luck. $$$$

if ur that concerned about image, where do you stop? Driving an accord will make you look like a cheapskate if you are so worried about board meetings. Go MB S Class then.

I hear you, and I don't disagree. I'm not an MB guy though for starters.

I don't want an SUV, but I need one. So I want something cool that makes me happy, has the utility I need, but won't embarrass me in some settings.

Cars do carry stigmas, like it or not. Sports cars, minivans, luxury cars etc. I've probably asked this same question to 10 other people and get mixed answers. Some say who cares, others say yes it's a kid's car.

Cars do carry stigmas, like it or not. Sports cars, minivans, luxury cars etc. I've probably asked this same question to 10 other people and get mixed answers. Some say who cares, others say yes it's a kid's car.
Of course cars carry stigmas. If you drive a minivan, people make a quick judgement. If you’re old, fat and bald, but drive a yellow Porsche 911 turbo, people make a quick judgement. It’s human nature I guess. But the question is, will you let it guide your life? If you’re indifferent about the Wrangler, who cares. But if you really want it and are passionate about it, why let what other people control your life?

Of course cars carry stigmas. If you drive a minivan, people make a quick judgement. If you’re old, fat and bald, but drive a yellow Porsche 911 turbo, people make a quick judgement. It’s human nature I guess. But the question is, will you let it guide your life? If you’re indifferent about the Wrangler, who cares. But if you really want it and are passionate about it, why let what other people control your life?
Only young people who are into cars see stigmas. If someone is driving an old beat up junker I will think they are poor, that's about it. Jay Leno is old fat and bald and he drives all sorts of exotic cars.

I hear you, and I don't disagree. I'm not an MB guy though for starters.

I don't want an SUV, but I need one. So I want something cool that makes me happy, has the utility I need, but won't embarrass me in some settings.

if you want something cool, young people will be driving it. Whether its a sports car or wrangler ... whatever. Drive what you want to drive and the rest be damned...

“Won’t embarrass me in some setting” - you must be kidding.

Car & Driver says your aspiration is called the XT6, is expected to launch in LA this fall and hit dealers next spring. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2020-cadillac-xt6-spied-during-testing
FYI - the XT6 was finally launched in Detroit this weekend:
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-cadillac-xt6-will-be-cadillacs-three-row-cross-1831713120

xwwjbaymaebfjm1vvruk.jpg

Of course, the wife is starting to look at large SUVs, as I mentioned before. We shall see!

FYI - the XT6 was finally launched in Detroit this weekend:

Of course, the wife is starting to look at large SUVs, as I mentioned before. We shall see!

I saw.

The only thing larger than the XT6 would be an Escalade. I feel like maybe it's your obligation to play your Man Card. Explain to her that an Escalade is very large it it's inevitable that she would hit stuff.

Parenthetically, the new Explorer has been unveiled, as well. It's quite nice, for a Ford.

I saw.

The only thing larger than the XT6 would be an Escalade. I feel like maybe it's your obligation to play your Man Card. Explain to her that an Escalade is very large it it's inevitable that she would hit stuff.

Parenthetically, the new Explorer has been unveiled, as well. It's quite nice, for a Ford.
Definitely no Escalade (too expensive) or Suburban (too long). Probably will look into a Yukon (normal, not XL). We have recently rented on vacation an Explorer and Expedition. Fords are just weird. Never been a Ford person. Weird door handles, weird knob for shifting into gears, weird other bells and whistles.

Definitely, the XT6 is an option, so we shall see. And yes, she has a habit of bumping into things, so no Cayenne for her.

FYI - just picked up a new 2018 Enclave. My 2012 was having issues (120k in it) and I think the trans was starting to go. I went to a local dealer and they had one on the lot that was exactly what we wanted. Traded in the old one and made a nice deal for the new one, got it done on 12/31. They were motivated to get it moved by the end of the year. This will be my normal car for work and family stuff. I am scheduled to have a mid-level crisis in 3-5 years, so vehicle #3 will be something special!

Anyone have a Subaru Ascent? Currently have a 2009 CX9 with 109 k on it and thinkng about a new vehicle.

Really like my heated cloth seats in my current CX9 and Mazda and subaru are the only ones that offer that in new cars.

Other must have is Android Auto. To get this you have to buy the cx9 in model trim that comes with leather seats.

Drove both cars and Mazda handles much better Subaru feels very "boaty" in comparison.

Not really sure what to do?

Anyone have a Subaru Ascent? Currently have a 2009 CX9 with 109 k on it and thinkng about a new vehicle.

Really like my heated cloth seats in my current CX9 and Mazda and subaru are the only ones that offer that in new cars.

Other must have is Android Auto. To get this you have to buy the cx9 in model trim that comes with leather seats.

Drove both cars and Mazda handles much better Subaru feels very "boaty" in comparison.

If you like the Mazda, get another one.

Definitely no Escalade (too expensive) or Suburban (too long). Probably will look into a Yukon (normal, not XL). We have recently rented on vacation an Explorer and Expedition. Fords are just weird. Never been a Ford person. Weird door handles, weird knob for shifting into gears, weird other bells and whistles.

Definitely, the XT6 is an option, so we shall see. And yes, she has a habit of bumping into things, so no Cayenne for her.

FYI - just picked up a new 2018 Enclave. My 2012 was having issues (120k in it) and I think the trans was starting to go. I went to a local dealer and they had one on the lot that was exactly what we wanted. Traded in the old one and made a nice deal for the new one, got it done on 12/31. They were motivated to get it moved by the end of the year. This will be my normal car for work and family stuff. I am scheduled to have a mid-level crisis in 3-5 years, so vehicle #3 will be something special!

I drive a 2016 Explorer Sport (first Ford I've ever owned). Have been extremely happy with it overall including the power/handling and bells/whistles. Also find it pretty roomy and have been comfortable on various long trips with 2 kids/2 Dogs. My only big dislike is the navigation. My wife drives a 2013 GL 450 - still under 100K miles - like driving it but not as much as the Explorer. Very smooth ride with lots of power, less than desirable handling for me and also has become become very expensive to maintain (2 front struts have needed replacement in last 6 months). Had a long term rental of a Q5 and loved it, and certainly and option as the kids get older and no longer need a 3rd Row..... but we keep cars a long time and put significant mileage on them, so looking in the future to avoid the longer term maintenance costs similar to the Mercedes.

We had 4 vehicles for a while including a 15 year old Dakota (which finally died with 200K miles) and Odyssey with over 200K. When we finally get rid of the Odyssey not sure if we will get another car but I would like to go with a pre-owned F150 (however wife wants some kind of convertible).

Last edited:

You can get a RAV4 with heated cloth seats. However, no Android Auto and like most Toyota cars, they are built for a nice smooth ride. Madza tend to be more sportly. Depends what you like.

Anyone have any feedback on using the Costco Auto purchase plan. The couple of folks I know that used it rave about it.

I like the enclave, nice blend of comfort and I love the exterior appearance with the redesign.

I like the idea of the xt6 but read that they built it on the smaller xt5/gmcr Acadia platform and not the enclave/traverse platform. Seems they will still have a gap between the giant Escalade and xt6

I have owned a pilot for five years. I went with that because I wanted a bit more tailgate space than a few other suv’s, but not a real big suv

Needed it for tailgate stuff

My one complaint is that like many Honda’s it does not block out Road noise , not a quiet ride

There's nothing that actually recommends the CRV. Honda reliability is largely over-hyped and their interior qualities are low-budget. The Mazda CX-5, previously discussed in this thread, is a far better vehicle.
This old thread. So guess what I ended up buying?

I like the enclave, nice blend of comfort and I love the exterior appearance with the redesign.

I like the idea of the xt6 but read that they built it on the smaller xt5/gmcr Acadia platform and not the enclave/traverse platform. Seems they will still have a gap between the giant Escalade and xt6
Agreed, the new Enclave is really sharp. Great lines and exterior design. Got the black (ebony twilight metallic) with the black/dark Grey interior and totally love it.

I'm pretty sure the XT6 is the sister model to the Enclave and Traverse. Check it out, not 100% sure but pretty close to that.

Reactions: mdh2003
Agreed, the new Enclave is really sharp. Great lines and exterior design. Got the black (ebony twilight metallic) with the black/dark Grey interior and totally love it.

I'm pretty sure the XT6 is the sister model to the Enclave and Traverse. Check it out, not 100% sure but pretty close to that.
Nope. Read an article that they took the Acadia and made it taller. Acadia is 3 row. Unless that article was complete bs but it came from motor trend

Nope. Read an article that they took the Acadia and made it taller. Acadia is 3 row. Unless that article was complete bs but it came from motor trend
Hmm, just saw this as well. The Enclave and Traverse are 204 inches in length, for comparison:

Although the XT6 doesn't tread any of the same ground as the flagship Escalade, its resemblance in the growing field of Cadillac crossovers is undeniable. The XT6 borrows styling elements from the small XT4 crossover and spreads them over a bigger frame borrowed from the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. The XT6 is actually shorter than both, riding atop a wheelbase of 112.7 inches long, with 198.8 inches from bumper to bumper—roughly six inches shorter than both the Traverse and Enclave. The XT6 is sized closer to the GMC Acadia, although it's incrementally longer than that crossover, and the XT6's just 9.3 inches longer than the XT5.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...look-welcome-to-the-aspirational-neighborhood

Anyone have any feedback on using the Costco Auto purchase plan. The couple of folks I know that used it rave about it.
Meh...wasn't terribly impressed. I got a better deal on my own. Yes, I did work a little more for it, but Costco Auto IMO is only if you're just too busy to do any work yourself.

Reactions: eliminate2006
Hmm, just saw this as well. The Enclave and Traverse are 204 inches in length, for comparison:

Although the XT6 doesn't tread any of the same ground as the flagship Escalade, its resemblance in the growing field of Cadillac crossovers is undeniable. The XT6 borrows styling elements from the small XT4 crossover and spreads them over a bigger frame borrowed from the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. The XT6 is actually shorter than both, riding atop a wheelbase of 112.7 inches long, with 198.8 inches from bumper to bumper—roughly six inches shorter than both the Traverse and Enclave. The XT6 is sized closer to the GMC Acadia, although it's incrementally longer than that crossover, and the XT6's just 9.3 inches longer than the XT5.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...look-welcome-to-the-aspirational-neighborhood

Lol...i think the writers are all confused themselves now. How can the wheelbase be shorter than the Traverse/Enclave, but longer than the XT5/Acadia? Did Caddy get a 3rd unique version of the same platform? Doesn't make any sense, considering the first 2 versions are already on a related platform just different wheelbase.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT