ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be pretty chaotic if there aren't any transactions until a couple weeks before spring training.

Some FAs are gonna be sweating.
And who are the Yankees going to get? Leftovers? They said they had a plan to improve with better players. They offer Voit and Sanchez. is that an improvement? No just the same ole same ole.

And who are the Yankees going to get? Leftovers? They said they had a plan to improve with better players. They offer Voit and Sanchez. is that an improvement? No just the same ole same ole.
Between RU hoops and the Yanks's off-season moves, wake me up next Fall.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
The Yankees need to revamp their scouting department. They need to hit desperately on some studs that can offset the big salaries. Even the Yankees can't/shouldn't have to have a lineup filled with 20 million dollar a year guys. Currently, they are projected to be right at the old cap with arbitration estimates included. Hal the penny pincher isn't gonna go bonkers like Cohen that's for sure.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
So this made the media rounds this weekend. From a player agent.

“Hal operates the Yankees like a top Broadway show,” the agent said. “They charge top ticket prices and put the biggest and best stars on the stage. With that said, the show’s primary purpose is to turn a significant profit. If the Broadway show happens to win a Tony for Best Show, all the better.”
That is a very good description. Never have seen his passion to win it all. Also the "getting the biggest and best stars" doesn't apply this year. Yankees sat on their hands.

I doubt that. Both sides need a deal. There are reports of concessions -- my bet would be they will result in a last-minute agreement.
The concessions they both are making are on the minor issues so far. The big money issues they aren't even close. When the players refused arbitration a few months back showed everyone they are in no rush.

The concessions they both are making are on the minor issues so far. The big money issues they aren't even close. When the players refused arbitration a few months back showed everyone they are in no rush.
The owners did not offer arbitration. They offered mediation. There's a big difference. Arbitration consists of a third party deciding who gets what, and imposing a deal on the parties. Medication is just a third party sitting at a table. Offering mediation is often just a delaying tactic.

The owners did not offer arbitration. They offered mediation. There's a big difference. Arbitration consists of a third party deciding who gets what, and imposing a deal on the parties. Medication is just a third party sitting at a table. Offering mediation is often just a delaying tactic.
Sorry, mediation. I doubt the owners wanted mediation to slow things down as it was offered months ago and after that they didn't meet at all until recently. So where were the players the whole time?

Sorry, mediation. I doubt the owners wanted mediation to slow things down as it was offered months ago and after that they didn't meet at all until recently. So where were the players the whole time?
As I recall, the owners didn't want to meet. And it was they who locked out the players, not the players going on strike.

As I recall, the owners didn't want to meet. And it was they who locked out the players, not the players going on strike.
The lockout had nothing to do with meetings. Two separate issues. By offering mediation shows the owners did want to meet. It would have started right away. They wasted a month doing nothing. Normally I side with the players. They are equally at fault and if they miss games it's means the two sides aren't willing to move on the big issues. We will know in a few hours.

Last edited:
Did you see the limits proposed by both sides for the new luxury tax thresholds? To me, that shows the owners don't care about this at all and aren't serious about ending this impasse. They also chose not to meet for over 6 weeks during the holidays. It's all a bunch of b.s.

Wow, this douchey post didn't age well. 😲
Good stuff. It's funny cause the Mets made this huge rush to sign everyone while the Yanks waited around for the economics to settle and the Mets might be totally screwed financially for the next decade because of it.

Good stuff. It's funny cause the Mets made this huge rush to sign everyone while the Yanks waited around for the economics to settle and the Mets might be totally screwed financially for the next decade because of it.
how much tax is usually paid if you go over the LT?

how much tax is usually paid if you go over the LT?
From an article about last year's Dodgers team:

Teams are only subject to penalties on the dollars they spend above the threshold. The 2021 penalties for first-time payors checked in at 20% on every dollar between $210MM and $230MM, 32% on overages between $230MM and $250MM, and 62.5% on each dollar spent above $250MM. CBT figures are calculated by summing the average annual values of all of a team’s player contracts (plus benefits), not by looking at a team’s actual payrolls in a given season.

As MLB's top spender in 2021, LA had $262 million on the payroll for the year, which went over the cap and resulted in penalties. In addition, the Dodgers were also fined $32.65 million in tax costs for exceeding the competitive balance threshold of $210 million. This number is according to the Associated Press.

Overall, the LA luxury tax payroll was $285.6 million in 2021.

The biggest problem is the compounding of the penalties on consecutive years. When you throw in draft penalties for signing certain big free agents, the luxury tax threshold becomes a salary cap. I agree with those who want a 50/50 split, but they aren't there now and aren't suggesting that either.

From an article about last year's Dodgers team:

Teams are only subject to penalties on the dollars they spend above the threshold. The 2021 penalties for first-time payors checked in at 20% on every dollar between $210MM and $230MM, 32% on overages between $230MM and $250MM, and 62.5% on each dollar spent above $250MM. CBT figures are calculated by summing the average annual values of all of a team’s player contracts (plus benefits), not by looking at a team’s actual payrolls in a given season.

As MLB's top spender in 2021, LA had $262 million on the payroll for the year, which went over the cap and resulted in penalties. In addition, the Dodgers were also fined $32.65 million in tax costs for exceeding the competitive balance threshold of $210 million. This number is according to the Associated Press.

Overall, the LA luxury tax payroll was $285.6 million in 2021.

The biggest problem is the compounding of the penalties on consecutive years. When you throw in draft penalties for signing certain big free agents, the luxury tax threshold becomes a salary cap. I agree with those who want a 50/50 split, but they aren't there now and aren't suggesting that either.
So- they have to pay the tax and also a $30 mil or so penalty...Seems a bit like double dipping.

Though- in some cases like the Dodger's Yankees and now Cohen's Met's, that 20-50 mil penalty isn't going to break the bank.
But draft picks for consecutive years and such would be a back breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT