ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ is Second in Nation in Quality of Life

In Arizona you can purchase a decent 3 Bedroom/2 Bath house for under $325,00 in many areas, with property taxes under $2,000 per year and lower income taxes. You think teachers in low cost of living areas should be paid the same as in insane cost of living areas like NJ?
My old house in Arizona near Paradise Valley Mall is now $400k purchased for about $100k in the 1980’s. Wish I kept it.

Arizona recently increased teacher salaries but I guess they start at 30’s or 40‘s. Someone on this board was trying to tell me that salaries are comparable in Texas and Arizona to NJ.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
In Arizona you can purchase a decent 3 Bedroom/2 Bath house for under $325,00 in many areas, with property taxes under $2,000 per year and lower income taxes. You think teachers in low cost of living areas should be paid the same as in insane cost of living areas like NJ?

AZ and FL aren't as expensive COL wise, but to be making 60k at the peak of your profession would not sustain you in any major metropolitan area of the country. Starting salary is one thing, but in your 40s or 50s with kids and a mortgage? No way.

My old house in Arizona near Paradise Valley Mall is now $400k purchased for about $100k in the 1980’s. Wish I kept it.

Arizona recently increased teacher salaries but I guess they start at 30’s or 40‘s. Someone on this board was trying to tell me that salaries are comparable in Texas and Arizona to NJ.
That's great, and that's a nice area. A house purchased in Spring Lake in the 1980's in the $200,000s is now worth multiple millions ($2-4M) in today's market. Quite the difference, and we can play ping pong on this all day.
The salaries may well be comparable with the cost of living factored in.

I do not expect teachers to be paid the same as doctors but they should receive compensation in line with other professional college graduates.

The compensation for lawyers is all over the n=map so that is hard to make a comparison. I do not think they should be paid like a top firm attorney is though

The guys who are paid an extreme amount are the Wall Street guys they make a lot of money because even a small percentage of the sums they move is a very large amount.

I do not expect teachers to be paid the same as doctors but they should receive compensation in line with other professional college graduates.

The compensation for lawyers is all over the n=map so that is hard to make a comparison. I do not think they should be paid like a top firm attorney is though

The guys who are paid an extreme amount are the Wall Street guys they make a lot of money because even a small percentage of the sums they move is a very large amount

There are towns in NJ where a teacher with a masters makes less than a cop with the same amount of years working there. And I'm not talking about Newark or Camden, but rather suburban places.

I mean we have chiefs in little suburban towns making 250k which is more than many superintendents in districts that would be among the best in America.

There are probably lawyers earning less than teachers who are prosecutors and worse yet public defenders who are paid peanuts. Public defenders making under 50k in a lot of places.

Reactions: Plum Street
There are towns in NJ where a teacher with a masters makes less than a cop with the same amount of years working there. And I'm not talking about Newark or Camden, but rather suburban places.

I mean we have chiefs in little suburban towns making 250k which is more than many superintendents in districts that would be among the best in America.

There are probably lawyers earning less than teachers who are prosecutors and worse yet public defenders who are paid peanuts. Public defenders making under 50k in a lot of places.
Most teachers make less than cops

I believe the average salary for cops is about $30 to 40k higher than for a teacher in NJ

I believe the average salary for cops is about $30 to 40k higher than for a teacher in NJ
The star ledger use to publish average NJ cop salaries by towns. The average suburb cop salaries with OT is more like $130-150k. It might be higher since it was a couple of years ago. They are overcompensated.

I remember a police captain passed away in my town and students were collecting funds for the family at the stop lights. I didn’t contribute because the students had no idea of his salary or pension, they wouldn’t do it If they knew. He probably earned $200-250ks a year when he was working with a $150k pension.

The star ledger use to publish average NJ cop salaries by towns. The average suburb cop salaries with OT is more like $130-150k. It might be higher since it was a couple of years ago. They are overcompensated.

I remember a police captain passed away in my town and students were collecting funds for the family at the stop lights. I didn’t contribute because the students had no idea of his salary or pension, they wouldn’t do it If they knew. He probably earned $200-250ks a year when he was working with a $150k pension.
I disagree that 130-150K, for being a cop in the more crowded regions of NJ, is overcompensated.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Stronger and more effective unions. They also work night shifts, odd hours, and all year round. Not really an apples and oranges comparison. It is fashionable among certain segments to trash and minimize the work of the police, but even in the suburbs, they have to handle very difficult and dangerous situations (while not as often in the cities). Someone do a one to one comparison on the hours worked, and then we can consider the more difficult aspects of police work.

NJ in top 5 to start a business according to Inc.com

A lot of these rankings are questionable, though. Best Places to Do Business rankings often puts low-cost states at the top and high-cost places like New York and New Jersey near the bottom, yet if those places were so horrible for doing business how do they have the highest incomes in the country?

A lot of these rankings are questionable, though. Best Places to Do Business rankings often puts low-cost states at the top and high-cost places like New York and New Jersey near the bottom, yet if those places were so horrible for doing business how do they have the highest incomes in the country?
Agreed. I am not familiar with Inc.com or how they do rankings but I saw the article and thought it would be good for this discussion

I disagree that 130-150K, for being a cop in the more crowded regions of NJ, is overcompensated.
$130-150k is normally the salary for managers in the private sector. Are all cops considered manager? If people think teachers are overpaid at $90k, then cops are overpaid.

Stronger and more effective unions. They also work night shifts, odd hours, and all year round. Not really an apples and oranges comparison. It is fashionable among certain segments to trash and minimize the work of the police, but even in the suburbs, they have to handle very difficult and dangerous situations (while not as often in the cities). Someone do a one to one comparison on the hours worked, and then we can consider the more difficult aspects of police work.
They get paid overtime when teacher don’t.

$130-150k is normally the salary for managers in the private sector. Are all cops considered manager? If people think teachers are overpaid at $90k, then cops are overpaid.
Depends on the company but managers in many tech companies are earning more than that. I also don't think teachers would be overpaid at $90K or at 130-150K if they are good teachers.

My philosophy of pay is that all people, regardless of their type of job, should earn whatever they can convince their employers to pay them. Be it cops, teachers, janitors, lawyers, doctors, CEOs, whatever. I begrudge nobody, including public employees, their pay. I focus on my own income, or the income of those whom I'm paying directly, and otherwise don't spend time thinking about anybody else 's income.

I'm not a fan of people attempting to dictate what other people should earn. I get that, in the case of government employees, taxpayers are impacted financially. But that's what elections are for.

The overall cost is less because there are way more teachers than cops

Also both political parties support the police union while only one supports teachers

Reactions: Knight Shift
Depends on the company but managers in many tech companies are earning more than that. I also don't think teachers would be overpaid at $90K or at 130-150K if they are good teachers.

My philosophy of pay is that all people, regardless of their type of job, should earn whatever they can convince their employers to pay them. Be it cops, teachers, janitors, lawyers, doctors, CEOs, whatever. I begrudge nobody, including public employees, their pay. I focus on my own income, or the income of those whom I'm paying directly, and otherwise don't spend time thinking about anybody else 's income.

I'm not a fan of people attempting to dictate what other people should earn. I get that, in the case of government employees, taxpayers are impacted financially. But that's what elections are for.
Well, don’t people want to control their property taxes, the taxes are going to pay your teachers and law enforcement officers. As someone that prepared budgets for over 30 years and tried to control cost, I call it as I see it. I’m someone that could solve all the deficits but no one would like it because it means cutting cost.

Reactions: brgRC90
Well, don’t people want to control their property taxes, the taxes are going to pay your teachers and law enforcement officers.
people always want more than they pay for. better police, better teachers, better public services. but lower taxes. it doesn't work that way. you typically get what you pay for. if you don't want for much, by all means, move somewhere with lower taxes and less services. but to move somewhere because of the quantity and quality of its public services, complaining about paying for it is just whining.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone and RU205
people always want more than they pay for. better police, better teachers, better public services. but lower taxes. it doesn't work that way. you typically get what you pay for. if you don't want for much, by all means, move somewhere with lower taxes and less services. but to move somewhere because of the quantity and quality of its public services, complaining about paying for it is just whining.

Americans have long been sold the idea that they should get more for less--somehow. Offshoring manufacturing is a variety of that: "you're getting the same products you used to get but at a cheaper price!" But one look at what comes out of China and India--nails that bend with one hit of a hammer and screws with heads that strip if they come across the slightest resistance--dispels this idea. You're not getting the same for less, you're getting less for less. Some things in life you just have to pay for.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Very underappreciated aspect. Nobody wants to cross the police.
It also reflects the difference in parties, however. If you're a Democrat and don't support police, even when they brutalize people, you will likely be called soft on crime and booted from office. If you're a Republican who does not support teachers and even badmouths them and accuses them of terrible things you will not get booted from office. Your voters will applaud you.

It also reflects the difference in parties, however. If you're a Democrat and don't support police, even when they brutalize people, you will likely be called soft on crime and booted from office. If you're a Republican who does not support teachers and even badmouths them and accuses them of terrible things you will not get booted from office. Your voters will applaud you.
I don't think that is true for everyone in either case. Segments of both parties, yes.
Without hijacking and getting this thread locked. There were valid questions raised about things certain members of both professions, and people were not wrong for questioning those actions. However, as usual, to allow that to make broad generalizations about the profession as a whole was, and is almost always wrong.

Well, don’t people want to control their property taxes, the taxes are going to pay your teachers and law enforcement officers. As someone that prepared budgets for over 30 years and tried to control cost, I call it as I see it. I’m someone that could solve all the deficits but no one would like it because it means cutting cost.
I agree that government should be as efficient as possible, as a general principle. I just don't think low-paying first responder or teacher salaries is a wise trade-off to control costs. There are few exceptions to the "get what you pay for" rule. And policing and teaching aren't among them, IMO.

Theoretically, ideologically, I think taxes should be low, most especially for corporations (as long as incentives for creating jobs are part of that). But personally, I have never cared much about tax policy as it effects me. Taxes have gone up and down in my life and, so far, none of it has ever made any impact on my quality of life.

Americans have long been sold the idea that they should get more for less--somehow. Offshoring manufacturing is a variety of that: "you're getting the same products you used to get but at a cheaper price!" But one look at what comes out of China and India--nails that bend with one hit of a hammer and screws with heads that strip if they come across the slightest resistance--dispels this idea. You're not getting the same for less, you're getting less for less. Some things in life you just have to pay for.
It ain't just Americans.

Police officer regular salaries aren't the issue it's the insane OT they rack up. Anywhere from $50-$150 an hour to sit in their car doing nothing during road work and other stuff like that. They then include those amounts in pensions.

Police officer regular salaries aren't the issue it's the insane OT they rack up. Anywhere from $50-$150 an hour to sit in their car doing nothing during road work and other stuff like that. They then include those amounts in pensions.
Pensions should be based on base salary. Unused sick and vacation time payouts need to be capped.

Very underappreciated aspect. Nobody wants to cross the police.
The sheer volume is the real difference. Education costs drive every budget at the State and Local level. The cost of police does not.

Look at your property tax bill and compare local costs which I believe is 75% the cost for police and the school taxes
Overtime is not included in a NJ police officers pension

Pensions should be based on base salary. Unused sick and vacation time payouts need to be capped.
Pensions are based on regular base salary in NJ. Overtime and other compensation is not considered in the pension

The NY pension system does include it and that is the pension Port Authority cops are in.

It does not apply to local NJ police

The sheer volume is the real difference. Education costs drive every budget at the State and Local level. The cost of police does not.

Look at your property tax bill and compare local costs which I believe is 75% the cost for police and the school taxes

Overtime is not included in a NJ police officers pension
Yes it is in certain towns. Maybe not state troopers. It may not be exactly 1 for 1 but they use it in calculations.

Yes it is in certain towns. Maybe not state troopers. It may not be exactly 1 for 1 but they use it in calculations.
No it is governed by State statute. From the PFRS Guide:

"Tier 1 – Pensionable Salary Limits
The PFRS contribution rate for Tier 1 members is applied
to the full pensionable salary, up to the federal
pensionable maximum. The PFRS is a qualified pension
plan under the provisions of the Internal Revenue
Code (IRC), Section 401(a)(17); therefore, the current
federal ceiling on pensionable salary applies to the base
salaries of Tier 1 PFRS members. Salary earned by a
member in excess of this amount is not pensionable;
that is, it may not be used in determining member contributions
and benefits. For more information about this
topic, please see the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

"Extra Compensation
Extra compensation is not included in base salary. Extra
compensation means individual salary adjustments
granted primarily in anticipation of retirement or as additional
compensation for performing temporary duties beyond
the regular workday. In accordance with N.J.A.C.
17:4-4.1, “…the compensation of a member subject to
pension contributions and creditable for retirement and
death benefits in the System shall be limited to base
salary, and shall not include extra compensation.” Some
of the items identified as extra compensation are as follows:
• Overtime;
• Pay for extra work, duty, or service beyond the normal
work day or normal duty assignments;"

Reactions: Zak57 and tom1944
If you are saying they use overtime in the calculation of pension in NJ you are absolutely wrong

It is never included and if a town attempts to certify that in the pension the pension board does not approve it

Go read the pension rules they are public

Reactions: Zak57
No it is governed by State statute. From the PFRS Guide:

"Tier 1 – Pensionable Salary Limits
The PFRS contribution rate for Tier 1 members is applied
to the full pensionable salary, up to the federal
pensionable maximum. The PFRS is a qualified pension
plan under the provisions of the Internal Revenue
Code (IRC), Section 401(a)(17); therefore, the current
federal ceiling on pensionable salary applies to the base
salaries of Tier 1 PFRS members. Salary earned by a
member in excess of this amount is not pensionable;
that is, it may not be used in determining member contributions
and benefits. For more information about this
topic, please see the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

"Extra Compensation
Extra compensation is not included in base salary. Extra
compensation means individual salary adjustments
granted primarily in anticipation of retirement or as additional
compensation for performing temporary duties beyond
the regular workday. In accordance with N.J.A.C.
17:4-4.1, “…the compensation of a member subject to
pension contributions and creditable for retirement and
death benefits in the System shall be limited to base
salary, and shall not include extra compensation.” Some
of the items identified as extra compensation are as follows:
• Overtime;
• Pay for extra work, duty, or service beyond the normal
work day or normal duty assignments;"
I was going to go find this. It is just another example of people thinking something is a fact about the pension when the reality is they are basing their opinion on completely false information

I have quite a few friends/family that are cops. I will need to talk to them because I could have swore they told me in the past it was.

Thanks to both for showing your work!

My point stands for the ridiculous OT rates for doing absolutely nothing but sitting in a car though.

I have quite a few friends/family that are cops. I will need to talk to them because I could have swore they told me in the past it was.

My point stands for the ridiculous OT rates for doing absolutely nothing but sitting in a car though.
That is not paid by the town

It is paid by the contractor

If your friends were cops or fire in NY or the Port Authority the overtime would count.

The NY pension funds are far superior to NJ pensions

Reactions: RU205

When the gas, electric or other companies have road construction on busy roads they are required to have police there. It is OT for police so they are paid at OT rates. The town bills that rate back to the gas or electric company. That OT time is not paid out of your property tax money.

It quite possibly may have been that way, and perhaps some may still be grandfathered.

That is not paid by the town

It is paid by the contractor

If your friends were cops or fire in NY or the Port Authority the overtime would count.

The NY pension funds are far superior to NJ pensions
Ok and who pays the contractor? …….the town, lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT