ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ opening vaccines to all starting April 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one thing I don’t understand. Back in February when I was looking for shot appointments I put my mom and I on every waiting list available. We both now have vaccinations through Walgreens. What I don’t get is NJ has now increased the eligible population twice since I signed up, and I am still on the waiting list. You would think they would clear the waiting lists first before increasing number of people eligible. I’m glad they are increasing the eligible population but still puzzled why I’m still on these waiting lists.
Waiting list is a huge waste if time. Same issue here. We got a direct appointment through AC megasite

Reactions: okieKnight908
This continues to be pure fake news.

Not sure what you a referring to as fake news. I just confirmed on the "our world in data" COVID web site that Sweden is in fact 27th on the list in cumulative deaths per capita at 1336 deaths per M. ( actually 25th, because total numbers for North America and Europe are included on the list and are both greater than Sweden). The US currently at #13 on the listat 1679 deaths/ M. Czech republic leading the way with 2527 deaths' / M.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

Not sure what you a referring to as fake news. I just confirmed on the "our world in data" COVID web site that Sweden is in fact 27th on the list in cumulative deaths per capita at 1336 deaths per M. ( actually 25th, because total numbers for North America and Europe are included on the list and are both greater than Sweden). The US currently at #13 on the listat 1679 deaths/ M. Czech republic leading the way with 2527 deaths' / M.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

That Sweden never had any lockdowns. They've had stricter restrictions than NJ at times.

Interesting that some people are concerned about the long term impact of a vaccine that has been in clinic and at the same time not concerned about the long term impact of getting a virus that has both respiratory and cardiovascular impacts. Note that the mRNA vaccine has been conceptualized and in early development since the 1990's and in clinic for 5-10 years against various disease targets.

The internet can be a great place for those who might use it for research / choose to use it for good.

This article was from 2012...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3597572/
RNA is considered as notoriously unstable making its therapeutic use a provocative idea. Despite the sensitivity of the molecule to the virtually omnipresent ribonucleases (RNases),1 mRNA as a therapeutic was first promoted in 1989 after the development of a broadly applicable in vitro transfection technique.2 Only a couple of years later, mRNA was advocated as a vaccine platform, perhaps being ideal in the sense that it brings together the immunological features of live attenuated vaccines such as endogenous antigen expression and T cell induction with those of killed or subunit vaccines like defined composition and safety.3,4

Particularly compared with DNA as a therapeutic or more specifically as a vaccine, mRNA offers strong safety advantages.5 As the minimal genetic construct, it harbors only the elements directly required for expression of the encoded protein. Moreover, while recombination between single-stranded RNA molecules may occur in rare cases,6,7 mRNA does not interact with the genome. Thus, potentially detrimental genomic integration is excluded. Finally, this lack of genomic integration in combination with mRNA being non-replicative as well as metabolically decaying within a few days8 makes mRNA a merely transient carrier of information.

mRNA as the technological basis of therapeutics and vaccines is characterized by a great flexibility with respect to production and application. Any protein can be encoded and expressed by mRNA, in principle enabling the development of prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines fighting diseases as diverse as infections and cancer as well as protein replacement therapies. Since changes of the encoded protein just alter the sequence of the RNA molecule, leaving its physico-chemical characteristics largely unaffected, diverse products can be manufactured using the same established production process without any adjustment, saving time and reducing cost compared with other vaccine platforms. In terms of efficacy, mRNA-based therapeutics profit from the fact that they do not need to cross the nuclear envelope as opposed to DNA. In contrast to peptides, mRNA vaccines lack MHC haplotype restriction. In addition, mRNA binds to pattern recognition receptors and mRNA vaccines may be designed to be self-adjuvanting,9 a property which peptide- and protein-based vaccines lack.

All in all, mRNA presents a promising, even if challenging, class of therapeutic molecules that has the potential to become the basis of a “disruptive technology.”10 In the following we are casting light on what has to be considered when developing an mRNA-vaccine technology touching important topics such as mRNA manufacturing and quality, mRNA format and formulation as well as antigen/protein expression and immunological properties of mRNA-vaccines.

Reactions: Greg2020 and FastMJ
I'm trying to cut through all the BS in this thread. My wife and I still haven't gotten our shots yet. If we had a choice between Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, which is the better option? I've read Pfizer and Moderna efficacy to be 94/95ish%. J&J is lower 66%/85% but is better with the mutations???? My family have all already tested positive in the last 6 months so don't want to rush to a make a choice but we will get vaccinated before school starts for the kids in Aug. I'm just going off of what i'm reading in mayo clinic and other published sites on the differences but still can't decide which vaccine to choose. Any insight appreciated.
FYI for those looking for vaccinces ... Walmart Pharmacy has shots available J&J and Moderna. You have the option to choose with them. Call their Pharmacy dept directly through their direct prompts and speak with them to schedule an appointment.

Last edited:
I registered for the NJ Expo Center and just wait till they contact me, I've gotten tired of trying to get into CVS, Walgreens and what have you as they are all booked solid.

Plus side means we're getting closer to the end.

J&J is the only option for me.

How exactly does mRNA work with the cell's RNA if it doesn't enter the nucleus - and is that really the important point anyway?
This has some interesting info, prompting a fair question of if there is a material difference in what the vaccines do once inside your body:
The genetic material in the mRNA vaccines is RNA, whereas the genetic material in the J&J vaccine is DNA, but both encode the information to make the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2.

“Inside the adenovirus is the DNA that your body will use to make into RNA and then into the spike protein of the coronavirus,” said Gandhi. She noted that the DNA and RNA then quickly degrade in the human body and do not have the ability to affect our chromosomes.

Once your cells make the spike protein, all three vaccines work similarly. “The spike protein doesn’t look like anything in our human body,” said Gandhi. “So, you raise an immune response with T cells and antibodies to that spike protein, and that allows you to fight the virus if you ever see it in the future.”

This type of adenovirus technology has been used in an Ebola vaccine but is still relatively new. “It’s more familiar than mRNA technology, but I wouldn’t say it is the most familiar technology either,” said Gandhi.

In @RUScrew85 s defense, an untested, world-saving vaccine is exactly how the light-sensitive monsters in "I am Legend" started

I love when I see those type of responses to posts that say "You are ignoring this user".
I have no reason to ignore him. Not many post Ive seen that screen name before. Must have been a CE nut job based off his post and I never went to the CE Board.

Some people have pretty valid reasons for being anti vaccine. I have friends who are all libs and they will not take it for a specific reason. I have friends who are on the right who won’t take it for another specific reason. I cannot argue that they are wrong but I always try to persuade them to drink the kook aid.

I went for my Covid shot yesterday at the shoprite in parsipanny. I made the appointment wednesday afternoon and got my shot thursday afternoon. What i was most surprised about is I was the only one at the shoprite getting my shot. I literally walked in, they gave me paperwork to fill out, 10 minutes later I had my shot and was released. It was way easier than I have heard from many of my friends who are going to the MEGA centers.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I went for my Covid shot yesterday at the shoprite in parsipanny. I made the appointment wednesday afternoon and got my shot thursday afternoon. What i was most surprised about is I was the only one at the shoprite getting my shot. I literally walked in, they gave me paperwork to fill out, 10 minutes later I had my shot and was released. It was way easier than I have heard from many of my friends who are going to the MEGA centers.

J&J?

Remember when calculators first came out how expensive they were.

That’s how it’s starting to feel here.

As things get worked out over time I bet this is how it will play out...like a getting a flu shot, you’re in/you’re out.

I'm trying to cut through all the BS in this thread. My wife and I still haven't gotten our shots yet. If we had a choice between Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, which is the better option? I've read Pfizer and Moderna efficacy to be 94/95ish%. J&J is lower 66%/85% but is better with the mutations???? My family have all already tested positive in the last 6 months so don't want to rush to a make a choice but we will get vaccinated before school starts for the kids in Aug. I'm just going off of what i'm reading in mayo clinic and other published sites on the differences but still can't decide which vaccine to choose. Any insight appreciated.
FYI for those looking for vaccinces ... Walmart Pharmacy has shots available J&J and Moderna. You have the option to choose with them. Call their Pharmacy dept directly through their direct prompts and speak with them to schedule an appointment.
I'd simply recommend getting any of the three currently authorized vaccines, since they all are ~100% effective in preventing hospitalizations and deaths, which, at the end of the day, is the most important outcome. Getting a mild case of COVID in small percentages of people is typically the worst outcome, which is way better than the 100-10,000 in 1MM chances (depending on age/comorbidities) of death from COVID (and 3-4x that rate of serious illness requiring hospitalization, often with lingering effects).

Yes, the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) have better efficacy results in preventing symptomatic COIVD than the J&J adenovirus vector vaccine, but the trials were conducted at different times with different populations (more of the highly transmissible variants for the later J&J trials), so it's possible those efficacy differences are exaggerated. Side effects from all three are generally fairly minor, with no serious side effects other than rare (2-3 in 1MM) allergic responses in people prone to have highly allergic responses, which is why they keep people under observation for ~15 minutes, as any acute anaphylactic response will occur quickly.

In addition, most of the latest research indicates that all three vaccines should still be effective against hospitalization and deaths for the more transmissible variants, even if a higher percentage of people end up getting mild COVID cases from these variants. There is still zero indication of any variants that are able to elude the vaccines significantly - and the faster we vaccinate everyone (in the US and the world), the less likely a vaccine-eluding variant will emerge via evolutionary antigenic drift (as evolution/mutation only occurs with replication/transmission).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/health/covid-vaccines-prevent-death/index.html

They mega site I went to was giving about 15 shots at a time. It's a lot easier to schedule 1 person. Plus one issue I noticed the 2nd time is people showing up well before their appt time causing delays. 1st shot I arrived at my time and had a short wait. The 2nd shot I arrived 10 minutes early and waited a half hour to get inside the bldg. Once inside the 2nd shot was a lot quicker because they have your info from the 1st.

Reactions: Greg2020
For those giving RUScrew a hard time:

Covid Vax only has Emergency Use Auth by FDA which means it is still in experimental phase. People are suppose to be informed of benefits/ risks when participating in an experiment. They also need to give written consent to being placed in an experiment. The Nuremberg laws ( as a result of Nazi concentration camp experiments )also state this to be true and no one can violate.

Just an FYI getting the vaccine cannot be mandated.....it’s illegal.

US Code - Authorization of Medical Products for Use In Emergencies

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
For those giving RUScrew a hard time:

Covid Vax only has Emergency Use Auth by FDA which means it is still in experimental phase. People are suppose to be informed of benefits/ risks when participating in an experiment. They also need to give written consent to being placed in an experiment. The Nuremberg laws ( as a result of Nazi concentration camp experiments )also state this to be true and no one can violate.

Just an FYI getting the vaccine cannot be mandated.....it’s illegal.

US Code - Authorization of Medical Products for Use In Emergencies
This is completely wrong in every way. The vaccine clinical trials were the "experiment" in which every participant had so sign a consent form, and they're long over. The Nuremberg Code does not apply to post EUA vaccine use at all, as the vaccines are no longer considered experimental. You've been reading too many loony QAnon websites.

The post EUA usage of the vaccines is not considered "experimental" in any way, although data are still being collected on the original trial participants so that the EUA's can eventually be upgraded to full FDA approval via the BLA (biological license application) process, which is expected to occur for all 3 US EUA authorized vaccines during 2021 (and which will be a slam dunk given the superb efficacy and safety records of all 3 vaccines, to date.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...s-administering-covid-19-vaccines-arent-guil/

Whether vaccines can be mandated under an EUA or even a BLA is an open question, although the analysis in the link below is a good one and asserts that for employers, vaccination requirements will likely be considered legal, given the "at-will" principle, combined with the fact that employers have already been requirining COVID tests, which were also largely issued under the EUA process. It's also well established that vaccines can be required for participation in many activities (like school and certain international travel), which is not the same as saying that everyone must be vaccinated.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/04/05/may-employers-and-universities-require-covid-19-vaccinations/

Lastly, while @RUScrew85 is entitled to his concerns about vaccines, as is anyone else, medically, the concerns are simply unfounded. As per the CDC site and many scientific articles, vaccine side effects have always been seen within 6 weeks of dosing, which is why the FDA insisted on 8 weeks of safety data post-dosing prior to issuing the EUAs and so far there simply aren't any significant side effects either in the short term or long-term from any of the 3 EUA vaccines, apart from the very rare anaphylaxis responses seen in 2-3 per 1MM within 15 minutes of injection (which was expected).

And we've now seen hundreds of millions of people vaccinated without any serious side effects, plus the folks from the trials have now been followed for over 6 months with no signs of long-term side effects, so far. In addition, scientifically, there is no reason to expect that injected mRNA molecules will do anything other than trigger an immune response to the SARS-CoV-s spike protein sequences contained in the vaccine - there's no capability of the mRNA of doing anything else. Bottom line is the vaccines are safe and effective with infinitesimal risk compared to huge benefits relative to preventing severe/deadly COVID.

https://theconversation.com/how-do-we-know-the-covid-vaccine-wont-have-long-term-side-effects-155714

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html

Employers can’t mandate it under EUA I presume. But they can make it a pain in the neck to work if you don’t.
I read the internal memos from Wynn Las Vegas this week that got leaked. They say 60% of the work force there is vaccinated. They strongly encourage all to do so. You must present proof of full vaccination by a certain date in May I believe to work. They have the vaccinations available on-site. Little hassle whatsoever.

Otherwise if you choose not to get vaccinated, that’s fine. You must produce a negative test each week by a certain point in time of the week and do such testing on your own time. To make it convenient for you, Wynn partnered with a company so you can pay $15 a test.

A bit of gamesmanship by Wynn as well as they plan on using the high level of vaccinations by employees eventually as almost a marketing point to high end gamblers. Further, unfortunately for employees in the industry, they are highly disposable.

Reactions: Greg2020
In other news Brown and Cornell University are requiring COVID Vaccines for the Fall Semester

“If it’s good enough for the Ivy’s...”

Rutgers Leads

This is completely wrong in every way. The vaccine clinical trials were the "experiment" in which every participant had so sign a consent form, and they're long over. The Nuremberg Code does not apply to post EUA vaccine use at all, as the vaccines are no longer considered experimental. You've been reading too many loony QAnon websites.

The post EUA usage of the vaccines is not considered "experimental" in any way, although data are still being collected on the original trial participants so that the EUA's can eventually be upgraded to full FDA approval via the BLA (biological license application) process, which is expected to occur for all 3 US EUA authorized vaccines during 2021 (and which will be a slam dunk given the superb efficacy and safety records of all 3 vaccines, to date.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...s-administering-covid-19-vaccines-arent-guil/

Whether vaccines can be mandated under an EUA or even a BLA is an open question, although the analysis in the link below is a good one and asserts that for employers, vaccination requirements will likely be considered legal, given the "at-will" principle, combined with the fact that employers have already been requirining COVID tests, which were also largely issued under the EUA process. It's also well established that vaccines can be required for participation in many activities (like school and certain international travel), which is not the same as saying that everyone must be vaccinated.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/04/05/may-employers-and-universities-require-covid-19-vaccinations/

Lastly, while @RUScrew85 is entitled to his concerns about vaccines, as is anyone else, medically, the concerns are simply unfounded. As per the CDC site and many scientific articles, vaccine side effects have always been seen within 6 weeks of dosing, which is why the FDA insisted on 8 weeks of safety data post-dosing prior to issuing the EUAs and so far there simply aren't any significant side effects either in the short term or long-term from any of the 3 EUA vaccines, apart from the very rare anaphylaxis responses seen in 2-3 per 1MM within 15 minutes of injection (which was expected).

And we've now seen hundreds of millions of people vaccinated without any serious side effects, plus the folks from the trials have now been followed for over 6 months with no signs of long-term side effects, so far. In addition, scientifically, there is no reason to expect that injected mRNA molecules will do anything other than trigger an immune response to the SARS-CoV-s spike protein sequences contained in the vaccine - there's no capability of the mRNA of doing anything else. Bottom line is the vaccines are safe and effective with infinitesimal risk compared to huge benefits relative to preventing severe/deadly COVID.

https://theconversation.com/how-do-we-know-the-covid-vaccine-wont-have-long-term-side-effects-155714

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html
Never read anything related to Q’Anon.

#s, the bottom line is it is fact that absolutely NO ONE knows if there are any long term side effects from any of these vaccines. Not possible, agree?

I’ve taken plenty of vaccines so not against vaccines.

I think you are wrong. Facts are these are still experimental - not officially approved.....and for a reason. As you say the data is still being collected. What is the normal process for gaining approval? I honestly don’t know the specifics, but I’m pretty sure it takes YEARS. There isn’t enough data to know, we can’t just create time and know a priori all the possible contra indications that await. This has only been rolled out a few months. I think MRNA tech was going through trials for many years but kept failing. Lo and behold waaalaaa in one year all good. Great timing!

No one should be busting anyone’s balls about not wanting to get vaccinated against their will.

why do certain types always resort to bringing up Q in their arguments, its so weak and basic

be better
Because much of the anit-vaxx crap is coming from the far right/QAnon, like the Nuremberg stupidity I debunked above. Why else do you think the Pew poll from about a month ago showed 57% of white male republicans being unsure or unlikely to get vaccines as compared to 7% of white male democrats? Words matter and some are gullible.

Because much of the anit-vaxx crap is coming from the far right/QAnon, like the Nuremberg stupidity I debunked above. Why else do you think the Pew poll from about a month ago showed 57% of white male republicans being unsure or unlikely to get vaccines as compared to 7% of white male democrats? Words matter and some are gullible.

‘Bingo.
QAnon, January 6th terrorist mob, etc .. all the same mentality.

Never read anything related to Q’Anon.

#s, the bottom line is it is fact that absolutely NO ONE knows if there are any long term side effects from any of these vaccines. Not possible, agree?

I’ve taken plenty of vaccines so not against vaccines.

I think you are wrong. Facts are these are still experimental - not officially approved.....and for a reason. As you say the data is still being collected. What is the normal process for gaining approval? I honestly don’t know the specifics, but I’m pretty sure it takes YEARS. There isn’t enough data to know, we can’t just create time and know a priori all the possible contra indications that await. This has only been rolled out a few months. I think MRNA tech was going through trials for many years but kept failing. Lo and behold waaalaaa in one year all good. Great timing!

No one should be busting anyone’s balls about not wanting to get vaccinated against their will.
Did you even read any of the links I provided? Of course one can't "know" if there could be some bizarre unexpected side effect that manifests 1 year out, but since that's never happened before for any other vaccine, why would you think that would happen now, especially when none of the 3 authorized vaccines uses traditional weakened/killed viruses, which are far more likely to have side effects? You probably never gave long term effects a 2nd thought for any other vaccine.

And I am not wrong, as I've been in Pharma 31 years and thoroughly understand the clinical trial and approval process. These vaccines are no longer considered experimental by anyone in the field, as they've gone through full clinical trials. There was about 4 months less safety evaluation time than normal (2 months vs. 6 months), given the urgency of the situation and the knowledge that the vast majority of side effects are seen in under 2 months, but the trial participants have now been followed for over 6 months, which is why all 3 vaccines will be filing for full BLA approval in the next few months. That was a tiny calculated risk and it has paid off in the saving of hundreds of thousands of lives, worldwide.

The reason most vaccines take years to get to market is because of the time typically required in developing the actual vaccine/formulation in the labs and in conducting preclinical studies - much of this work had already been done for these vaccines prior to COVID, with some of that work being done in trying to develop mRNA/vaccine vector vaccines against previous coronaviruses, like SARS and MERS. I've posted about all of this before and can go find the links if you're interested.

IMO, I'm not "busting balls" but debunking misleading/incorrect information and trying to convince everyone possible that these vaccines are safe and effective and the only way out of this pandemic that doesn't involve naturally trying to reach herd immunity which would result in maybe another 400K deaths in the US alone as opposed to close to zero if we had everyone (or at least 70+%) vaccinated. The other reason to convince skeptics to get vaccinated is that if we have 20-30% unvaccinated, there will still be low levels of transmission going on, which makes it more likely that a variant will emerge which eludes the currernt vaccines, which would mean we'd need to repeat the whole vaccination process with booster shots - I'd rather avoid that.

I wish the left went back to the less insulting "stop watching Fox News", it's funny how they react to anyone who disagrees with them, it's almost always the same intolerant reaction.

Reactions: bac2therac
748 million vaccine given and people are still scared hiding under their bed. Strange most are Trump supporters, my younger brother is one that didn’t get the vaccine but called the virus a hoax. All other family members already received the vaccines weeks ago. It’s his choice.

748 million vaccine given and people are still scared hiding under their bed. Strange most are Trump supporters, my younger brother is one that didn’t get the vaccine but called the virus a hoax. All other family members already received the vaccines weeks ago. It’s his choice.
Another intolerant ass. I'm getting my first vaccine Thursday, but you keep hating Doomsday, it's what you do best 😄

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I wish the left went back to the less insulting "stop watching Fox News", it's funny how they react to anyone who disagrees with them, it's almost always the same intolerant reaction.
And I wish the right hadn’t fallen for a con man who was/is only out for himself, who mismanaged a pandemic that allowed hundreds of thousands of people to die, who intentionally created division where it didn’t need to be, and who allowed our country to be vulnerable to hostile foreign powers.

Seems we both have wishes that won’t come true, so we’ll just have to deal with it, won’t we?

And I’ll save you time...I know, TDS...

Idiot, scared to get the vaccine. You came out of hiding and now confess you worship the Orange idol.
Scared? Where would you get that from? And I voted for the man but far from worshipping him, the man is a pig but unfortunately he was still better than Option B.

I bet you are a real douchebag in person as well as on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT