ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Real ID

I think there are just a lot of people that have no idea they will need anything other than their DL that they have been using for years. My wife and I both have passports but rarely pull them out for domestic travel.
No problem doing so now but I would bet my wife would have gotten stuck if I didn’t tell her about it.

I looked at the CLEAR stations at Newark Liberty this weekend - the lines looked shorter that the TSA pre-check lines, but see that it costs $179 for 12 months - quite expensive compared to TSA precheck ($85 for 5 years).....
That is expensive. Unless your company is paying and you travel monthly, I don't know if it is worth it.
I was in Newark Airport 2 weeks ago. With the ability to check in online, I rarely check a bag, and I am through precheck in 15 minutes. It has been fairly easy. Some other airports around the country are easier, but if you fly through Newark you need precheck and if you fly internationally, and land back in Newark you need Global Access. If you don't the lines get out of control .

That is expensive. Unless your company is paying and you travel monthly, I don't know if it is worth it.
I was in Newark Airport 2 weeks ago. With the ability to check in online, I rarely check a bag, and I am through precheck in 15 minutes. It has been fairly easy. Some other airports around the country are easier, but if you fly through Newark you need precheck and if you fly internationally, and land back in Newark you need Global Access. If you don't the lines get out of control .

PreCheck is great, except in EWR Terminal A, where they shut down the PreCheck lanes during off-peak hours. I've thought about Clear, but the product penetration isn't really sufficient to make it worth the trouble. My employer pays for all that stuff, so the cost isn't a factor. It's really about what's most convenient.

But yeah, to your point, my typical "curb to gate" is max 10-15 minutes. At some of the smaller airports like MEM and PIT it's less than 5.

Reactions: Joey Bags and RU205
I signed up for email alerts about the new lisc. when it first was announced

since then, I have gotten about 4 or 5 emails telling me that the new license was available at about 4 locations, but not one in my area

I was waiting for Lodi, Wayne....I don't think either
has started.

Christie really dropped the ball on this. He had 8 years to get us compliant but refused to do so. Lucky I have a passport and global access so I don't really have to worry about this.
no, didn't read there earlier posts, it is always the Democrats. Republican lawmakers are the biggest aholes ever born.

NJ has been controlled by the Democrats(Assembly & Senate) for the better part of 70 years, is it really surprising that a simple task like issuing an ID is a ClusterF#@%?
Yes, I hear the DMV in Mississippi is the model of efficiency...

Yes, I hear the DMV in Mississippi is the model of efficiency...
My statement is just scratching the surface of the long term mismanagement and Malfeasance of the democrats who have controlled NJ since Woodrow Wilson. I could point out hundreds of examples of mismanagement of state agencies but no one has time for that. My point is that the Dems have controlled NJ for a long time. Maybe its time to bring some fresh ideas and disruption to the status quo from the Republicans.

Well that sucks balls - another useless move for "our" security. Oh, and you need something like that to travel but not to vote. Makes sense.

Glad I and my family all have passports.
Didn’t know you can crash your vote into buildings. Makes sense. Better comparison would be that you can buy guns w/o one why not travel w/o one.

back when i was 19 i drove from the west coast back to da JOISEY SHAWWW in 5 days... just drive.. fk flying... and the kewl part is that you actually can see and experience other parts of the country!!!! how novel eh?

My statement is just scratching the surface of the long term mismanagement and Malfeasance of the democrats who have controlled NJ since Woodrow Wilson. I could point out hundreds of examples of mismanagement of state agencies but no one has time for that. My point is that the Dems have controlled NJ for a long time. Maybe its time to bring some fresh ideas and disruption to the status quo from the Republicans.
That statement isn't even close to being true.

Since 1962, Democrats and Republicans have alternated control of the Governorship every 8 years (with the exceptions of Cahill-R from 70-73 and Florio-D from 90-93, who each only served one 4-year term). Over the last 100 years, since Wilson was President, NJ has had a Republican governor for 47 years and a Democrat governor for 53 years.

Democrats have controlled both legislative houses since 2004. In 2002 and 2003 control was split. For the 10 years prior, from 1992-2001, Republicans controlled both houses, including 8 years in which they also controlled the Governor's office. Democrats controlled both houses in 1990 and 1991. The 4 years prior, control was split.

In the last 100 years, since Wilson was Presdent, Republicans controlled both houses of the NJ Legislature for 54 years, Democrats for 30 years, and control was split for the other 16 years.

Get and use a passport to travel, even domestically. Easier, cheaper, lasts ten years, and it a better form of identification.

You can actually get a “passport card” - it can’t be used for international travel (as a passport) other than Bermuda, Caribbean, Canada and Mexico, but you can get it in addition to your existing passport and it is drivers license size

I did that rather than wasting time running to DMV

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

Reactions: knightinaz

But the Republicans need to run on something other than "We are not the Democrats" Christie was the governor of NJ for 8 years, and the way NJ is set up that made him one of the most powerful governors in the country and other than the 2% tax limit what did he really accomplish?

Reactions: tico brown
That statement isn't even close to being true.

Since 1962, Democrats and Republicans have alternated control of the Governorship every 8 years (with the exceptions of Cahill-R from 70-73 and Florio-D from 90-93, who each only served one 4-year term). Over the last 100 years, since Wilson was President, NJ has had a Republican governor for 47 years and a Democrat governor for 53 years.

Democrats have controlled both legislative houses since 2004. In 2002 and 2003 control was split. For the 10 years prior, from 1992-2001, Republicans controlled both houses, including 8 years in which they also controlled the Governor's office. Democrats controlled both houses in 1990 and 1991. The 4 years prior, control was split.

In the last 100 years, since Wilson was Presdent, Republicans controlled both houses of the NJ Legislature for 54 years, Democrats for 30 years, and control was split for the other 16 years.
This is true and it surprises me how many people from NJ don’t know this.

Reactions: Phi_1055
I just got my license renewal form in the mail. Skip the Trip... It REALLY would have been awesome if I could get the Real ID like this... but no...

Reactions: Joey Bags
I'll wait till they get it in Wayne (or nearby) I'm on the waiting list anyway. Didn't know it wasn't offered at all DMV offices yet. We usually use our passports anyway.

Oh I understood exactly what you meant. My point is those fresh republican ideas don’t work in other states where they have been controlling things.

Oh I understood exactly what you meant. My point is those fresh republican ideas don’t work in other states where they have been controlling things.

Two means to the same end. Of course, that could change if third parties and innovative thinking was encouraged, but that would upset the establishment applecart. In the private sector it’s known as “industry disruption”.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Reactions: robcac26
You have until October 2020 to get one and if you don't you can still travel with a passport. This has been all over. The law has actually been delayed for years.
I have had mine for 2 years but I live in PA.

NJ has been controlled by the Democrats(Assembly & Senate) for the better part of 70 years, is it really surprising that a simple task like issuing an ID is a ClusterF#@%?
The only bigger joke than Democrats is Republicans.

Seems like a lot of bad info floating around, I got my real ID in Flemington in March of 2022.
So not sure where some of the info is coming from, but a lot of it is contrary to my experience. Appointment was not a problem and the process was reasonably painless, things may have change but I got it in the mail about two weeks after my apointment

This doesn't make any sense.

There's no issue getting a RealID in NJ. When your DL is up for renewal, simply schedule a RealID appointment.

What about that is challenging to you?

Seems like a lot of bad info floating around, I got my real ID in Flemington in March of 2022.
So not sure where some of the info is coming from, but a lot of it is contrary to my experience. Appointment was not a problem and the process was reasonably painless, things may have change but I got it in the mail about two weeks after my apointment
There’s a different appointment database for those needing a renewal and those that just want to update their license to a real ID. I just wanted to update mine back in Sept and there were no appointments anywhere close to me for 6 months (there were a bunch down in South Jersey). I kept checking and a one came open in Camp Kilmer for the next day - probably a cancellation. Process at the MVC was pretty smooth minus the idiot NJ residents who can’t follow simple directions and slowed things down.

See that NJ Government and your tax dollars at work, it only took 3 yrs. to iron out all the kinks. The original posts were in December of 2019.

Thanks to Republicans screaming about a problem that doesn't exist, just like voter fraud that doesnt exist, we have to deal with this crap. ID's were fine before.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
3 year old necro bump on this one.
season 1 s1 GIF by Dream Corp LLC

• Haha
Reactions: Joey Bags
See that NJ Government and your tax dollars at work, it only took 3 yrs. to iron out all the kinks. The original posts were in December of 2019.
IDK, I did mine at least a couple of years ago, and it was seamless. Maybe I'm the only happy customer, but MVC is a downright pleasant experience for me.

Politics and party never really enters into my mind when it comes to MVC. Besides, didn't Republican Chris Christie privatize MVC? Is it tax dollars or user fees that funds MVC, or both?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Posting this here for visability as this affects a lot of us who use air travel.

The implementation of Real ID in NJ has the potential to be a gargantuan cluster****, and it really isn't being reported on that much.

To give some context to this thread, I was due for a license renewal at the end of September. I called my local MVC office in August to inquire about Real ID and how to get one. The person assisting me told me not to worry, and that ALL new IDs being issued in the state would be Real IDs starting August 1st. So I went to the MVC and went about my business getting it renewed all while being told my new ID would be compliant ( I provided the additional points of ID it requires).

Fast forward to yesterday and I came across an NJ101.5 article that someone posted on social media talking about Real ID. I opened it as my new ID looked different from the one in the article and sure enough, I wasn't issued a REAL ID like I was told I would. In fact, NJ didn't start issuing REAL IDs until September and is ONLY issuing them at 2 locations in the state (Trenton and Eatontown). Not only that, but it's by appointment only and apparently there is a multiple month long waiting list!

So, had anyone else gone through the process of getting one? I showed people in my office (a large chunk who travel) and no one knew anything about these new regs. Seems like a huge pain and there is a real likelihood that hundreds of thousands are going to be turned away at Newark come October. Government bureaucracies are a mess in general but I haven't seen something like this yet.
as long as we have IDs to vote, game on

Thanks to Republicans screaming about a problem that doesn't exist, just like voter fraud that doesnt exist, we have to deal with this crap. ID's were fine before.
They really weren't. When my wife had her identity stolen, the ahole had a driver's license from NJ in my wife's name with our address but the ahole's photo...and the judge kept calling it "valid". Even after my wife presented her current DL and the prior two with the hole punched in them.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT