ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Real ID

They really weren't. When my wife had her identity stolen, the ahole had a driver's license from NJ in my wife's name with our address but the ahole's photo...and the judge kept calling it "valid". Even after my wife presented her current DL and the prior two with the hole punched in them.

Came out of DHS and proposed in 2005. Passed strictly on party lines, 388-43 in the House and 99-0 in the Senate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet1984
Posting this here for visability as this affects a lot of us who use air travel.

The implementation of Real ID in NJ has the potential to be a gargantuan cluster****, and it really isn't being reported on that much.

To give some context to this thread, I was due for a license renewal at the end of September. I called my local MVC office in August to inquire about Real ID and how to get one. The person assisting me told me not to worry, and that ALL new IDs being issued in the state would be Real IDs starting August 1st. So I went to the MVC and went about my business getting it renewed all while being told my new ID would be compliant ( I provided the additional points of ID it requires).

Fast forward to yesterday and I came across an NJ101.5 article that someone posted on social media talking about Real ID. I opened it as my new ID looked different from the one in the article and sure enough, I wasn't issued a REAL ID like I was told I would. In fact, NJ didn't start issuing REAL IDs until September and is ONLY issuing them at 2 locations in the state (Trenton and Eatontown). Not only that, but it's by appointment only and apparently there is a multiple month long waiting list!

So, had anyone else gone through the process of getting one? I showed people in my office (a large chunk who travel) and no one knew anything about these new regs. Seems like a huge pain and there is a real likelihood that hundreds of thousands are going to be turned away at Newark come October. Government bureaucracies are a mess in general but I haven't seen something like this yet.

The deadline has been extended to 2025.

And there are two dozen locations in NJ giving out Real IDs. Not two.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
The deadline has been extended to 2025.

And there are two dozen locations in NJ giving out Real IDs. Not two.
You do realize that the op was written three years ago. I think he mentioned he wanted to fly to Wuhan as well, maybe you should advise him given your vast knowledge of the future.

Posting this here for visability as this affects a lot of us who use air travel.

The implementation of Real ID in NJ has the potential to be a gargantuan cluster****, and it really isn't being reported on that much.

To give some context to this thread, I was due for a license renewal at the end of September. I called my local MVC office in August to inquire about Real ID and how to get one. The person assisting me told me not to worry, and that ALL new IDs being issued in the state would be Real IDs starting August 1st. So I went to the MVC and went about my business getting it renewed all while being told my new ID would be compliant ( I provided the additional points of ID it requires).

Fast forward to yesterday and I came across an NJ101.5 article that someone posted on social media talking about Real ID. I opened it as my new ID looked different from the one in the article and sure enough, I wasn't issued a REAL ID like I was told I would. In fact, NJ didn't start issuing REAL IDs until September and is ONLY issuing them at 2 locations in the state (Trenton and Eatontown). Not only that, but it's by appointment only and apparently there is a multiple month long waiting list!

So, had anyone else gone through the process of getting one? I showed people in my office (a large chunk who travel) and no one knew anything about these new regs. Seems like a huge pain and there is a real likelihood that hundreds of thousands are going to be turned away at Newark come October. Government bureaucracies are a mess in general but I haven't seen something like this yet.
Disaster in Ca. Sure to be in NJ

It took me one appointment and 15 minutes at the DMV to get mine.
Got mine summer of '21. The DMV's near me (i need mass transit) didnt always have slots available during the day, but most times if you go on right at midnight they opened up a bunch and you could easily grab one. Aside from doing that it was pretty simple for me as well. The only thing that was a little frustrating was my main license was expiring this year and even though you were getting a brand new 'Real ID' that didnt count as a new ID/cycle so i still needed to renew this year. I thought it might be a $ grab but then they're offering free renewals now for a while so i guess not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT