ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

The article explains what has happened, but does a poor job explaining what we know going forward that weakens the impact of their premise (the cap is expected to go up about 4.5 million a year this upcoming year, and the year after that, so a lot of teams have more money to spend).

The Devils, Rangers and Islanders are at a disadvantage to the no state income tax teams, but there are about 10 teams (the California and Canadian teams) worse off than them.
I agree the cap increase is coming but that doesn't change the impact state taxes have. 7% tax rate on 8M contract is 560k, and if it's an 8 year deal, a total of $4M. It's lower than that given the home / away dynamics but even if you cut it in half it's not insignificant.

No one’s saying the taxes aren’t an advantage for Florida, but it is really taxes plus climate/beach. I don’t hear of players rushing to go to the Kraken because Washington doesn’t have an income tax.

Reactions: RU Cheese
I agree the cap increase is coming but that doesn't change the impact state taxes have. 7% tax rate on 8M contract is 560k, and if it's an 8 year deal, a total of $4M. It's lower than that given the home / away dynamics but even if you cut it in half it's not insignificant.

More than that if they are NYC residents

Totally agree. Fun fact I heard recently. 6 of the last 7 cups have involved a no state income tax team. The NHL realistically should adjust the cap to account for state income tax rates to level the playing field. For example, the rangers salary cap should be able to be X% more than Dallas due to Texas not having state income tax and NY having both state and city tax.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT