ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

What big long term free agent winger was worth not being able to be involved in the massive 2025 or 2026 UFA classes? The answer is none. Im not paying a 30 year old Guentzel 7 X $9 to ensure I have ZERO chance at draisaitl or rantennen 1 year from now or mcdavid (i dont think he ever hits ufa), kaprisov, eichel in 2026.

Very real possibility that Draisaitl comes to NY next offseason. Wife wants out of edmonton. And if you land Leon it’s likely in the range of 7 X $13.5. Then your lineup is likely

Panarin-Draisaitl-Perreault
Kreider-Mika-Laff
Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann
Edstrom-Carrick-Rempe

The following offseason Panarin comes off the books and also will be easy to move kreider if they need the space to take runs at kaprisov and eichel.
There were a couple of defensemen that signed yesterday to deals I would have been okay with the Rangers doing if the Trouba situation was resolved.

There were NO winger deals yesterday that I looked at and said “I wish the Rangers did that”.

The Reilly Smith deal was a good move for the situation the Rangers are in.

There were a couple of defensemen that signed yesterday to deals I would have been okay with the Rangers doing if the Trouba situation was resolved.

There were NO winger deals yesterday that I looked at and said “I wish the Rangers did that”.

The Trouba situation is ridiculous. Brooks didn't say it explicitly, but he's basically threatening not to report to a team if dealt on account of is wife / baby.

If lindgren comes in at $3AAV or less im cool with it. If he comes in at $4AAV or more I wouldve rather just traded him and a 3rd for chychrun and just copied the caps/sens deal.

I think zadorov is good but on the other hand im not sure that hes anything more than a overpaid mikkola.

What dmen would you have liked?

What big long term free agent winger was worth not being able to be involved in the massive 2025 or 2026 UFA classes? The answer is none. Im not paying a 30 year old Guentzel 7 X $9 to ensure I have ZERO chance at draisaitl or rantennen 1 year from now or mcdavid (i dont think he ever hits ufa), kaprisov, eichel in 2026.

Very real possibility that Draisaitl comes to NY next offseason. Wife wants out of edmonton. And if you land Leon it’s likely in the range of 7 X $13.5. Then your lineup is likely

Panarin-Draisaitl-Perreault
Kreider-Mika-Laff
Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann
Edstrom-Carrick-Rempe

The following offseason Panarin comes off the books and also will be easy to move kreider if they need the space to take runs at kaprisov and eichel.

Going to be very difficult to sign a Leon to that term next year when again, you need to resign Igor, Laf,, Rempe, Cuylle, and a bunch of Dmen.

If lindgren comes in at $3AAV or less im cool with it. If he comes in at $4AAV or more I wouldve rather just traded him and a 3rd for chychrun and just copied the caps/sens deal.

I think zadorov is good but on the other hand im not sure that hes anything more than a overpaid mikkola.

What dmen would you have liked?
Chychrun was the big one (what were the Sens thinking with that trade)? I thought Dillon was a decent guy to go after if Lindgren wanted too much term.

I am surprised the price for Tanev was so low but that was probably playing games with the term they gave him.

Reactions: vic_torre42
It’s tough being a Ranger fan sometimes, having to watch your fellow fans get excited a week ago over dumping the bad Goodrow contract, get excited now over the possibility of getting rid of the bad Trouba contract, yet also get angry that they didn’t get in on the huge, long term, free agent deals wingers are getting today.
The only decent player the rangers lost was Gustaffson

-vic

Going to be very difficult to sign a Leon to that term next year when again, you need to resign Igor, Laf,, Rempe, Cuylle, and a bunch of Dmen.
Cap should be around $93mm. Trouba will be gone and kreider will be easy to move if need be.

Lets say just trouba was moved

Kreider $6.5
Leon $13.5
Laff: $8
Panarin: $11.6
Mika: $8.5
Perreault: $875K
Othmann: $863K
Trocheck: $5.6
Cuylle: $1.75
Edstrom: $1
Carrick: $1
Rempe: $1
Brodz: $800K

Lindgren: $3
Kandre: $6
Fox: $9.5
Schneider: $2.5
Jones: $1
6 RHD: $1.5
7th D: $800K

Igor: $10.5
Backup: $1

Total: $95-96

So theyll likely have to move kreider which will be easy to do

Cap should be around $93mm. Trouba will be gone and kreider will be easy to move if need be.

Lets say just trouba was moved

Kreider $6.5
Leon $13.5
Laff: $8
Panarin: $11.6
Mika: $8.5
Perreault: $875K
Othmann: $863K
Trocheck: $5.6
Cuylle: $1.75
Edstrom: $1
Carrick: $1
Rempe: $1
Brodz: $800K

Lindgren: $3
Kandre: $6
Fox: $9.5
Schneider: $2.5
Jones: $1
6 RHD: $1.5
7th D: $800K

Igor: $10.5
Backup: $1

Total: $95-96

So theyll likely have to move kreider which will be easy to do

That’s a brutal lineup without Krieder. You’ll need someone to replace him. Salary is gonna be tough to work out to get a big time free agent without a lot of moves / buyouts and with a lot of faith in the young guys.

Then you think you’ll be able to add Kaprizov and Eichel????? You’re dreaming my friend haha

Last edited:
That’s a brutal lineup without Krieder. You’ll need someone to replace him. Salary is gonna be tough to work out to get a big time free agent without a lot of moves / buyouts and with a lot of faith in the young guys.

Then you think you’ll be able to add Kairuzov and Eichel????? You’re dreaming my friend haha
Nah, McDavid not Eichel

Then you think you’ll be able to add Kaprizov and Eichel????? You’re dreaming my friend haha
The following offseason when mcdavid, kaprisov, eichel hit ufa panarin comes off the books. Will be quite easy to fit one of eichel/kaprisov, possible to even fit 2 depending on how much cap goes up and what moves can be made

The following offseason when mcdavid, kaprisov, eichel hit ufa panarin comes off the books. Will be quite easy to fit one of eichel/kaprisov, possible to even fit 2 depending on how much cap goes up and what moves can be made

It’s possible but not going to be easy. Especially with Draisaitl……you’re living in dreamland.

This isn’t the 90s anymore when NY was the preferred destination for players in all sports.

Well last offseason the talking point was mcdavids wife wanted out of Edmonton and he would come to ny. Now Draisaitl has a wife that wants out of Edmonton. 🤷
Do you know who draisaitl’s wife is? Im more concerned about LA than Edmonton with him due to her. Well, also, theyre not married yet so I shouldnt use wife
It’s possible but not going to be easy. Especially with Draisaitl……you’re living in dreamland.

This isn’t the 90s anymore when NY was the preferred destination for players in all sports.
Kaprisov is probably like every russian player and wants to come to NY, Eichel is from the northeast and its well known he wanted to be a ranger. Draisaitl again, im more concerned his better half pulls him to LA instead of NYC.

Do you know who draisaitl’s wife is? Im more concerned about LA than Edmonton with him due to her. Well, also, theyre not married yet so I shouldnt use wife

Kaprisov is probably like every russian player and wants to come to NY, Eichel is from the northeast and its well known he wanted to be a ranger. Draisaitl again, im more concerned his better half pulls him to LA instead of NYC.

You never know..but there’s a lot more that goes into free agency now then just “the player wants to go here”…

It’s EXTREMELY unlikely the Rangers get all three of Draisaitl, Kaprizov and Eichel. This is my point and I’ll just leave it at that. No harm in dreaming I suppose, though

You never know..but there’s a lot more that goes into free agency now then just “the player wants to go here”…

It’s EXTREMELY unlikely the Rangers get all three of Draisaitl, Kaprizov and Eichel. This is my point and I’ll just leave it at that. No harm in dreaming I suppose, though
I agree. I think ita unlikely they get all 3. I think its likely they get 2/3 though

No chance unless Drury blows it up
Define “blows it up”. They can afford draisaitl in 2025 by simply just moving trouba.

They can afford one of kaprisov/Eichel in 2026 by panarin coming off the books.

Fortunately, this one is not complicated

Define “blows it up”. They can afford draisaitl in 2025 by simply just moving trouba.

They can afford one of kaprisov/Eichel in 2026 by panarin coming off the books.

Fortunately, this one is not complicated
I don’t see how that works. Shesterkin, Miller and Lafreniere will be making $12-15 million more in 2025-26 than they are now.

You said “by simply moving Trouba” and didn’t mention the unloading Kreider and Chytil it would also take.
Kreider and chytil are the easy contracts to move, trouba is the only one that has a minor degree of difficulty. Its mainly about to reloading the roster with younger talented players. Rangers are built great and set for sustained success

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT