ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

That's a big win and the two points preserves their control of their destiny. At same time, it's hard to be pleased with their overall play the last week. There seems to be lots of unmarked men in the defensive zone.

Panarin's goal off the faceoff is their only 5-5 goal in three games...

Now it’s Roslovic, before it was Kakko, Wheeler, etc.

How many different players have to fail as RW on the Zibanejad line before they admit it isn’t the RW that is the issue?

Reactions: KK1827 and miker183

How many different players have to fail as RW on the Zibanejad line before they admit it isn’t the RW that is the issue?

You're logic is spot on. I never expected him to split Trouba and Miller, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

That's a big win and the two points preserves their control of their destiny. At same time, it's hard to be pleased with their overall play the last week. There seems to be lots of unmarked men in the defensive zone.

Panarin's goal off the faceoff is their only 5-5 goal in three games...
If we win Monday Cheese, we win the Presidents Trophy.!
55 wins 😊 and obviously the division!

Last edited:
Reactions: RU Cheese

The only one who worked there really was buch and he got traded prematurely under the assumption we were getting eichel

Crazy scenario for that second wild card (and Ranger opponent) with WAS, PIT, DET and PHL all alive going into the last game. Especially spicy is that WAS plays PHL.

Where's the official NHL playoffs thread? Let's go Islanders! Canes are a tall order, but since the Islanders don't have to succumb to 3 on 3s and shootouts, I'm giving us a punchers chance against them.

Where's the official NHL playoffs thread? Let's go Islanders! Canes are a tall order, but since the Islanders don't have to succumb to 3 on 3s and shootouts, I'm giving us a punchers chance against them.

I wouldn't worry about the shootouts and 3 v. 3, currently only one team in playoffs with a negative goal differential. Gotta score more than your opponent.

I love my Islanders, but they don't match up well with Carolina.

Crazy scenario for that second wild card (and Ranger opponent) with WAS, PIT, DET and PHL all alive going into the last game. Especially spicy is that WAS plays PHL.
For sure. Washington had a 1-0 lead but it's now tied after two.

I had to look three times, but there couldn't be a worse omen than the primary assist on their goal belonging to Dylan McIlrath.

Wow - looks like WAS just took a 2-1 lead in final minutes with an empty net goal. An OT win would've eliminated PHI so they went for it with score being tied.

Wow - looks like WAS just took a 2-1 lead in final minutes with an empty net goal. An OT win would've eliminated PHI so they went for it with score being tied.
Wouldnt have mattered for flyers because red wings went to OT. But rangers get caps now on Sunday. Lindgren is hot in net so thats the only concern. Besides that we should gentlemens sweep them

Rangers get the -37 goal differential Caps in round 1.

Totally unrelated, but one of the crazier stats I can remember seeing. Second period of tonight’s game between the Panthers and Leafs — Panthers score 4 goals. Impressive. But also….SOG in that period were 29-4 in favor of Florida. Crazy.

Think pulling goalie with over 3 minutes left is a little premature, maybe it is an appropriate representation of a team not in the playoffs. Caps get the last spot with win, they beat Boston last night.

Meanwhile, the Red Wings comeback from 1-4 down to win a game and follow it up the next night with a trying goal with 0:05 left and then win in shootout. Only to miss out a spot on tiebreaker.

Hey, it lasted a whole month into the season before the childish piss match nonsense started. As soon as I see Rags or Mickey Mouse or half cups or dumb un-nuanced fan reasoning, I’m out. It’s just so boring.

Shame, because I enjoyed reading both threads. Hopefully it doesn’t devolve here as well.

On the actual results so far, some quick hits:
BOS - point machine. Playoffs?
FLA - picking up from their great run
TML - that O - wow. That D - yeesh
TBL - is the run over?
DET/OTT/BUF - when will they ever get over the hump?
MTL - TDL seller

NYR - how long can they keep this pace?
WAS - how the hell are they in 2nd place?
CAR - disappointing
PHI - surprising
NJD - see TOR but with worse D
NYI - pack it up boys
PIT - the inevitable slide begins
CBJ - lottery watching

DAL - is this the year?
COL - cruising until playoffs
WPG - WYSIWYG
ARI - really?
STL - more talented than their results
MIN - not enough D
NSH - without goalie form, lookout below
CHI - rebuild mode

VGK - playing without pressure
VAN - wow, they’ve arrived
LAK - wow, they’re still here
ANA - this good or teams below that bad?
SEA - which was the blip - last year or this one?
CGY - has the bottom dropped out?
EDM - see CGY but worse
SJ - awful

Looking back at this, kinda interesting that after 1 month, most of table is close to same as now. In the East, NYI turned it on and PHI faded. Out West, NSH and EDM bounced back to form, while ARI and ANA reverted back to theirs to round out the top.

Looking back at this, kinda interesting that after 1 month, most of table is close to same as now. In the East, NYI turned it on and PHI faded. Out West, NSH and EDM bounced back to form, while ARI and ANA reverted back to theirs to round out the top.
The Islanders and hurricanes series will take Hockey back to the stone ages. That will be the most boring series ever.

Reactions: vic_torre42
The Islanders and hurricanes series will take Hockey back to the stone ages. That will be the most boring series ever.
Hey, some us liked the Stone Ages! I think it’ll just be good, physical PO hockey. Will the few goals scored mostly be ugly? Of course. That is part of the beauty.

Maybe the most famous PO goal in NYR history was about as ugly as you can get. Perhaps you’ve heard of it….Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

On NYI/CAR - I know CAR had a fantastic season. But, just not sure about those goalies. I have said for a while that NYI are not a reg season built team. They are a PO built team. Yeah, they have a few more years on the tires, new coaching staff, D/G not quite the rock it was. But they are still thick and they are still tough. Don’t count them out. I can see this as one of those - the home team wins every game - type of series. Should be fun to watch.

Hey, some us liked the Stone Ages! I think it’ll just be good, physical PO hockey. Will the few goals scored mostly be ugly? Of course. That is part of the beauty.

Maybe the most famous PO goal in NYR history was about as ugly as you can get. Perhaps you’ve heard of it….Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

On NYI/CAR - I know CAR had a fantastic season. But, just not sure about those goalies. I have said for a while that NYI are not a reg season built team. They are a PO built team. Yeah, they have a few more years on the tires, new coaching staff, D/G not quite the rock it was. But they are still thick and they are still tough. Don’t count them out. I can see this as one of those - the home team wins every game - type of series. Should be fun to watch.
Goaltending always an issue in playoffs. But Carolina is an excellent team, and aside from being a couple points behind Rangers, one could argue they're the best team in the league.

They are exceptionally well-coached, are very sound defensively / play with structure, and don't often hang goalies out to dry which helps. They've also been a much more dynamic team since the deadline and Geuntzel has been on like a 120 point pace since he joined them.

If I had to bet on a team to win it, they'd be my pick.

I only wish Howie Rose said it one more time…3 🏆 after that. 😈

• Love
Reactions: TM94goRU
I wish the Battle of Alberta could be a playoff series.

That would be fun hockey and pretty good TV as well.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Bruins-Leafs will be another blood battle.

Back to Isles-Canes, Roy has been riding Varlamov as the hot hand. Will be interesting to see how he proceeds here as the right goalie can steal a playoff series any time.

Canes don’t allow time and space in all 3 zones.
Not one second to make a play when they’re on their game.
Bad bounces, long rebounds, blocked shots, caroms after missing the net potentially get them out of structure and you must take advantage.
I love the way the Canes play, they will smother Barzel, he will have nowhere to go.
4-0, or maybe Sorokin steals a game and it’s 4-1

Reactions: RU Cheese
Bad bounces, long rebounds, blocked shots, caroms after missing the net potentially get them out of structure and you must take advantage.
I love the way the Canes play, they will smother Barzel, he will have nowhere to go.
Sorokin might not even get the nod. I just hope they physically beat the crap out of each other and it goes 7

I see the series going 6 or 7.

Canes struggle to score at times.
Roy has the Isles playing quicker

-vic

Made similar remark a few posts before this one. They would be my pick to win it all simply given how structured / well they play as a team.

Geuntzel has made world of difference for them as well.

Reactions: zappaa
Maybe. But these teams are pretty close to what they were last year. And NYI gave them all they could handle. Losing 4-2 and only a 1 goal differential for the series. Gun to my head, I’d say the same result. But, I would not be surprised at an upset. They happen all the time.

Interesting podcast talking about Lafreniere. If you hate Gallant like I do it will enrage you further.

I think Rempe only plays game 1 if Chytil does not. Chytil becomes the 3C besides Cullye and Kakko and Wennberg slots to 4C with Goodrow and Vesey. Rempe is next man up, then Johnny Brodz. The Hartford Wolf Pack are still playing for the Calder Cup so we will see who the 5th Ace will be. Could be Louis Domingue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT