ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

New year. Same Mets. 1 hit through 5 innings. Marte solo HR
I’m fully aware it’s only one game. However, most people (including me) think the starting pitching is a dumpster fire 🔥, yet it could very well be the lineup is trash as well. Lots of overrated players in that lineup.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
That's what happens when you have a passive manager. Where did he pick that up? Boone? Buckle up, it's going to be a long season.

I miss Vogelbach.
New York Mets Baseball GIF by SNY

This doesn't even make sense. McNeil was yelling at him almost immediately. Hoskins was the one who ran away then started yelling once his teammates were there.

Anyways it's one game. I know most of you are joking but I also know a few of you are serious which is scary.

Here's something positive for you. Gilbert crushed his HR.

This doesn't even make sense. McNeil was yelling at him almost immediately. Hoskins was the one who ran away then started yelling once his teammates were there.

Anyways it's one game. I know most of you are joking but I also know a few of you are serious which is scary.

Call them both up right now. This lineup is DOA

Joey L. Good first outing

This is stupid. I saw a clip and it looked like McNeil was talking when the Brewers player was still on the ground. Right after the slide occurred.
Yeah- that tweet was meant to get clicks. And anyone that reposted it is a person with no ability to think for themselves even when it is right in front of their eyes.
BTW- letter of the law- it was a legal slide unless his hand lost contact with the bag. But his first AB today- it goes at his head. I am usually a never throw at the head but this scumbag knew what he was doing. And we may see more of these now that the defensive player can’t have his foot out front.

Yeah- that tweet was meant to get clicks. And anyone that reposted it is a person with no ability to think for themselves even when it is right in front of their eyes.
BTW- letter of the law- it was a legal slide unless his hand lost contact with the bag. But his first AB today- it goes at his head. I am usually a never throw at the head but this scumbag knew what he was doing. And we may see more of these now that the defensive player can’t have his foot out front.
Yes, it was a stupid tweet, but most are.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the Mets take this further. I’m wondering whether Jeff is s bit of a wing nut.

Yes, it was a stupid tweet, but most are.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the Mets take this further. I’m wondering whether Jeff is s bit of a wing nut.
I’m from the school of if you can only get 1 hit as a team how about we take our anger out with the bats. Rather not lose a staring pitcher this early in the season. Let’s see McNeil actually get on base. When he does he may have a chance for a “hard slide”.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
My totally uninformed theory - Hoskins was sending a message to his new teammates.

In the first inning, Hoskins was batting with runners on first and third and one out. He hit into a double play. I had the game on radio, and the announcers were saying that prior to the rule changes, that would never have been a DP because the second baseman would have been taken out.

By sliding hard into McNeil, I think Hoskins was telling his new teammates that there is still a way to do it... and we are going to do it that way.

Good for him. It was a legal play.

My totally uninformed theory - Hoskins was sending a message to his new teammates.

In the first inning, Hoskins was batting with runners on first and third and one out. He hit into a double play. I had the game on radio, and the announcers were saying that prior to the rule changes, that would never have been a DP because the second baseman would have been taken out.

By sliding hard into McNeil, I think Hoskins was telling his new teammates that there is still a way to do it... and we are going to do it that way.

if I'm McNeil and if anything like this play were to come up again this year- Hskins at first and a DP ball hit- my throw is going to be almost underhand and directly at Hoskins- and while it was an old school type play, it could have ended McNeil's year.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

Would you still feel it was legal but borderline dirty if McNeil snapped his ankle and was lost for the season day#1? I'm hoping the Mets send a message early on that this operation is going to be different. Maybe we won't play like pussies and lead the league again in getting hit by pitch. Let's have a little of the Broad St Bullies mentality taking a page out of the Flyers playbook. If we're going to be The JV for one more year then let's be the scrappy kids from 1985 ready to turn into World Champs.

I think both guys said in the DN article that there is a little history between them. Wouldn’t be surprised since they faced each other a lot in the division (outside of last year).

I think he was just trying to break up the double play. He does it every time. I don't like the team being on the whiny side of a hard-nosed baseball play.

I think he was just trying to break up the double play. He does it every time. I don't like the team being on the whiny side of a hard-nosed baseball play.
you realize he was just a smidge of that slide being illegal. if his hand had come off the base, it would have been called. And Hoskins history of these things are what got McNeil pissed.
The reality is- the slide is legal by the book- he started before the base, he did not come off the base, he did not go outside of the basepath nd he did not go spikes up or raise himself up.
But...it was intentional and dirty as F-k...he should be eating dirt today

Reactions: Foads
BTW- letter of the law- it was a legal slide unless his hand lost contact with the bag. But his first AB today- it goes at his head.
That's just pathetic. You advocate for throwing at someone's head ?
What a baseball fan.

you realize he was just a smidge of that slide being illegal. if his hand had come off the base, it would have been called. And Hoskins history of these things are what got McNeil pissed.
The reality is- the slide is legal by the book- he started before the base, he did not come off the base, he did not go outside of the basepath nd he did not go spikes up or raise himself up.
But...it was intentional and dirty as F-k...he should be eating dirt today
In other words, legal. The idea is to stop the double play, not make a half-hearted attempt to stop the double play. It wasn't dirty as f**k. It was legal, and the Mets come across as whiny way too often on these type of plays. McNeil's post-game discussion of it didn't even make sense--I wasn't trying for the double play. Oh, is that why you lost the ball on a transfer?

I'd like to see the Mets roster toughen up. But I'm not sure they've got players like that. Bader? Maybe Alvarez. Definitely not Baty. Maybe Martinez. I'm worried they're a soft team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT