ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ohio State selling tickets to preseason practices... for $50 a pop

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that?.. And we talking about practice.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
If you're paying that amount of money to see practice, you have question your priorities and your mental health. You are beyond fandom, your a sucker.
Listen not everyone has played this game . Very few have played at a high level, like yourself . Many people can learn a lot by watching a practice

Reactions: ldwnmas
Listen not everyone has played this game . Very few have played at a high level, like yourself . Many people can learn a lot by watching a practice
Really? I learned a lot while I practiced. I learned nothing watching Floods team practice (and the team as well! But he took notes lol). And went to one Ash practice with a bunch of fellow former players. Nobody was learning anything. My god he was not head coach material.
If they are selling tickets to a scrimmage maybe it's worth it for someone. But football practice is boring to watch. The team is split up into many parts.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Really? I learned a lot while I practiced. I learned nothing watching Floods team practice (and the team as well! But he took notes lol). And went to one Ash practice with a bunch of fellow former players. Nobody was learning anything. My god he was not head coach material.
If they are selling tickets to a scrimmage maybe it's worth it for someone. But football practice is boring to watch. The team is split up into many parts.
You also played . Because I was talking about people thee never played.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You also played . Because I was talking about people thee never played.
A person that never played learns nothing from typical practice. A scrimmage is totally different. A practice is all about specific skills by each unit over and over and over again

A person that never played learns nothing from typical practice. A scrimmage is totally different. A practice is all about specific skills by each unit over and over and over again
Disagree. You can learn a lot , especially if you are watching or paired with a position group. Although , I think a film session is where the average fan would really benefit

Disagree. You can learn a lot , especially if you are watching or paired with a position group. Although , I think a film session is where the average fan would really benefit
Mostly you aren't paired. Each unit is run by their coaches. A lot of contact amongst players is within their group. QBs and wide receivers are the exception mostly. I liked practice I didn't play football until I was a junior in HS.
A lot of people here hate Schiano but from every ex player they loved his structure. Ask Coach Burns and his player and most all will tell you the same. Both of them were detailed orientated. Smart!

Mostly you aren't paired. Each unit is run by their coaches. A lot of contact amongst players is within their group. QBs and wide receivers are the exception mostly. I liked practice I didn't play football until I was a junior in HS.
A lot of people here hate Schiano but from every ex player they loved his structure. Ask Coach Burns and his player and most all will tell you the same. Both of them were detailed orientated. Smart!
I think a lot of fans would benefit from seeing living hitting up close and realizing how violent the game is. I know they don’t hit every practice.

I think a lot of fans would benefit from seeing living hitting up close and realizing how violent the game is. I know they don’t hit every practice.
They hardly do it anymore. I was a linebacker and a "running back" simply everyone had to play both ways back then. Two days of full gear a week. Hard hitting. Wears players down.

They hardly do it anymore. I was a linebacker and a "running back" simply everyone had to play both ways back then. Two days of full gear a week. Hard hitting. Wears players down.
Yes I know they hardly do it . Just saying it would be beneficial to some fans to see it up close in a practice situation if it happened

Yes I know they hardly do it . Just saying it would be beneficial to some fans to see it up close in a practice situation if it happened
Practice isn't close to game situation at all. It's like watching 7 units doing say ... jumping jacks. Or watching different units doing sprints then the whole team doing 100 yards sprints to end the session and watching lineman try to run is the funniest thing ever

Reactions: Plum Street
6d36c0dd35d20c535dcca2d2fb0a385c.jpg
You know this guy will be there

Reactions: goru1869
Maybe its part of a fundraising thing that got left out. I know the tickets are on four days near Coach Day's golf and fundraising events.

We have been to a few practices, and we find them beneficial. Last year we watched the quarterbacks do a corner post drill with the WRs. Chas Dodd continued the drill when the QBs moved to another drill. Chas was dropping dimes on nearly every throw. The Mrs, who was not paying close attention to who was who, remarked that the guy with the red beard was really accurate.

I've been to a few RU practices over the years. I would most certainly not pay to attend.

Both times at the Battaglia Field. Standing on the sidelines, limited in where you can go, position groups all over the field so difficult to pay attention to any one group or player.

Fun to go. Fun to say I went. Definitely not paying $50 to do it

Reactions: WhiteBus
Would you pay to see Rutgers preseason practices? The Ohio State deal includes commemorative sunglasses 🕶️.

This could actually be a money maker if done right. There would be a lot of people who would be interested in watching a Big Ten practice. Maybe at $10-$20 a head not $50. Who knows.

It's an NIL money grab. They will be hosted by the equivalent of the TKR collective looking for donations or merch sales. Just no cost to the collective practice bang for their buck. Thinking there may be an autograph session to pay the players

I don't understand the pushback

People waste $50 on the dumbest stuff all the time, yet this time you actually get to see the team up close, and it appears like the Thursday session includes lunch with Day and the team

The NIL I help fund has events with players and they're awesome
The Spring game is one big glorified practice, and if you tailgate plus gas, etc. it costs more than that

Some people just love football and want to do it
Plus it helps NIL

BBall had the event at Top Golf w/the team
Wrestling has skull sessions with the coaches, which are awesome
Court Club has an open practice as well

This could actually be a money maker if done right. There would be a lot of people who would be interested in watching a Big Ten practice. Maybe at $10-$20 a head not $50. Who knows.
I was thinking the same thing, but they do it big in C-Bus
Maybe it''ll be like the Monster seats at Fenway where the first year they put them on sale super cheap and they sold out in minutes

We have been to a few practices, and we find them beneficial. Last year we watched the quarterbacks do a corner post drill with the WRs. Chas Dodd continued the drill when the QBs moved to another drill. Chas was dropping dimes on nearly every throw. The Mrs, who was not paying close attention to who was who, remarked that the guy with the red beard was really accurate.
I agree, you get to see the physicality up close and see some of the intricoes you normally wouldn't get to see

I've been to a few RU practices over the years. I would most certainly not pay to attend.

Both times at the Battaglia Field. Standing on the sidelines, limited in where you can go, position groups all over the field so difficult to pay attention to any one group or player.

Fun to go. Fun to say I went. Definitely not paying $50 to do it
You've already indirectly paid to attend

They're not inviting the young alumni season ticket holders to them
Same with dinner on the field
Or GS's introductory press conference when he returned

Ooh, for $200 can you watch from the scissor lift?

Ooh, for $200 can you watch from the scissor lift?
I doubt anyone other than Buck Nut is going to all four practices

Maybe the flipside way of looking at it as these fans are devoted and will do what it takes in order to see a winner, and that’s something our fanbase can strive to become in order to see the success we desire

The only practice I attended was during the Ash era, when RU had an open practice up north, in an attempt to get one of the Sims boys attention.
Who did not show up anyway

The one thing I learned from the practice was that Ash was the opposite of dynamic.... I felt he himself did not generate much overall. Came away with a slightly sinking feeling

Honestly I love watching practices. Sometimes I enjoy watching them more than games/scrimmages.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Plenty would pay to attend a practice why not it would be fun. If it was a NIL money grab it would be very successful. Kids would love to see a practice and be on the field. Court club and touchdown club are ok but $50 to attend a practice is not? lol. Those two mentioned clubs is like attending a AARP meeting or dinner at a diner at 430pm. The football program would make thousands for NIL if it was done the right way.

I hope Rutgers starts doing this

With soccer on the weekends, it's hard for my wife and daughter to attend games
This would be a great opportunity to introduce them to Rutgers football on a whole new level

$150 for 3 people is the equivalent to a nice dinner out - so why not sacrifice that in order to live, up close, Big Ten football?

I doubt anyone other than Buck Nut is going to all four practices

Maybe the flipside way of looking at it as these fans are devoted and will do what it takes in order to see a winner, and that’s something our fanbase can strive to become in order to see the success we desire
Nah… Some are too busy trying engage others into a Johnson measuring contest putting others down instead of having mature conversations.

To your point, there’s some who may want to check out the OL drills. Or WR/DB, 7 v 7 battles on Wednesdays. Or some who probably can’t make it on Saturdays so he’d plop down a 10/ 20 for practice. Kids may get into practice being up close (as close as up close can be for practices).

It’s an interesting idea and if you can set up bleachers on the perimeter like at the Giants Stadium practice facilities… maybe:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT