ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OJ Died

I almost forget about Dorsett for some reason when I talking about great RBs, then I saw a reel of some of his best runs on social media recently and I was like, "Oh yeah, he was pretty damn good." Probably blocked him due to PTSD from being in the same division.

BTW- can't stand the Cowboys anymore- I dropped them when they dropped Landry the way they did.
Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I almost forget about Dorsett for some reason when I talking about great RBs, then I saw a reel of some of his best runs on social media recently and I was like, "Oh yeah, he was pretty damn good." Probably blocked him due to PTSD from being in the same division.

Great RB but a fumble machine..5 per season

BTW- can't stand the Cowboys anymore- I dropped them when they dropped Landry the way they did.
Never really was a Cowboy fan but rooted for them against eveyone except the Rams and Giants .
I had a heck of a lot of respect FOR Tom Landry ( when I though about him years later)
Also was an Eddie LeBaron fan , so rooted for the original Cowboy team.
Also liked running back LG Dupree ( but because of name more than talent, >my young age at time made that possible in a lot of players I liked)

Players of that era said repeatedly on NFL Films the Giants were the first team to put the better athletes on defense.

Yes and they had Landry as DC and he innovated the defense.
NFL and NY were becoming a big football city in mid 50s.
Players like Huff and Emlen Tunnell were bigger and faster and really started to look like modern players who needed to be more than just "tough" (Lombardi said defensive players had to be tougher than those on offense).

Emlen Tunnell was real big for a secondary player but he could look like Jim Brown running back INTs. NYGs had to play Browns back-to-back on way to 56 title and Brown had hardly any yards. Tunnell wasn't even drafted and for his first Meeting with Mara he had to hitch a ride into NYC on a banana truck. Scouting for draft seemed to be pretty miserable back then. Bart Starr was 17th round (small league of course) and I see stuff like that a lot in old drafts lol.

I too was a great cowboy fan, being stationed in
Texas parts of 1964, 66. and 68. Came back to NJ and stayed a Cowboys fan until the new owners screwed Landry. I went back to being
a NJ Giant fan who were getting shi!! back together .

Bingo. It was class, not race.
That is truth. Another indisputable truth is that I'm sorry that anyone was murdered but with that said if OJ had killed his first wife Marguerite the over the top media coverage would not have been there. Nor probably the varying reactions of of anger and joy.

Last edited:
Reactions: linzalonic
I too was a great cowboy fan, being stationed in
Texas parts of 1964, 66. and 68. Came back to NJ and stayed a Cowboys fan until the new owners screwed Landry. I went back to being
a NJ Giant fan who were getting shi!! back together .
The tough thing about it was that it was time for Landry to retire but the POS way they went about it. Classless. Amazing run where they made the playoffs in 18 of 20 years. BTW- also amazes me that Staubach get's forgotten when people talk of the greatest QB's.

Reactions: miket007
The tough thing about it was that it was time for Landry to retire but the POS way they went about it. Classless. Amazing run where they made the playoffs in 18 of 20 years. BTW- also amazes me that Staubach get's forgotten when people talk of the greatest QB's.
I lived in the Bay Area when Staubach came in off the bench and led the Cowboys to two touchdowns in the final two minutes to beat my 49ers in 1972. I'm never forgetting him!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I never understood all the fuss from my late Dad and his contemporaries regarding him. Then I saw the films. Wow.

Earl Campbell, I did get to see play. Also, wow.
Sayers scored SIX touchdowns in an NFL game in 1965...four rushing, one receiving, and one on a punt return. He was as elusive as it gets.

Sayers scored SIX touchdowns in an NFL game in 1965...four rushing, one receiving, and one on a punt return. He was as elusive as it gets.
There is nothing like watching a great running back's combination of speed, strength, balance, and elusiveness.. I know that running backs aren't as important a part of the game as they used to be -- I understand why that is, but it's a shame. It's also a shame that the position is so physically wearing and that careers are often so short.

I used to be a pretty big Giant fan and Emmett Smith always got yards when needed. Surprised Brown's Top 5 aren't more impressive and the tackling is weak. Ray Rice had a better run in the NFL than any of those IMO.

Really? I don’t forget him. I think the two-minute drill was coined because of him. I think the problem for guys from that era is that it was such a different game then. You now have people creating the narrative who haven’t seen them play and are used to the video game numbers of today.

I used to be a pretty big Giant fan and Emmett Smith always got yards when needed. Surprised Brown's Top 5 aren't more impressive and the tackling is weak. Ray Rice had a better run in the NFL than any of those IMO.
Brown's top 5 what? And who was RR better than?

Brown's top 5 what? And who was RR better than?
If he means Cleveland Brown
Except for Jim Brown , Leroy Kelly and Marion Motley ,Ray might be better then the rest when the long hall is taken into account.
If Raven players are in mix, Jamal Lewis is a step ahead of Rice ,

If he means Cleveland Brown
Except for Jim Brown , Leroy Kelly and Marion Motley ,Ray might be better then the rest when the long hall is taken into account.
If Raven players are in mix, Jamal Lewis is a step ahead of Rice ,
if he is meaning Cleveland Browns- the sentence structure doesn't really make much sense. Outside of Jim Brown- there aren't many other great ones that played for them.

Really? I don’t forget him. I think the two-minute drill was coined because of him. I think the problem for guys from that era is that it was such a different game then. You now have people creating the narrative who haven’t seen them play and are used to the video game numbers of today.

Staubach's problem was that he was good when Steelers were at their peak and he lost to them twice.
He was also missing 5 years because of Annapolis commitment
He also had to deal with mental players like RB Duane Thomas.
Cowboys might have been America's team on TV but Steelers owned that era

ON Page 4 Retired711 linked Jim Brown's Top 5 runs, I would have expected them to be better and more exciting. Ray Rice had a run for the Ravens that I think would be better than any of those.
Ahhhh got it. And can understand what you are saying but Brown’s greatness weren’t the spectacular individual plays. It was just how relentless he was. Some may wonder if he may have been as good if playing once defensive players got bigger and faster.
But that is similar to wondering if some of the pre 50’s great MLB players would have been as good in later years.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Ahhhh got it. And can understand what you are saying but Brown’s greatness weren’t the spectacular individual plays. It was just how relentless he was. Some may wonder if he may have been as good if playing once defensive players got bigger and faster.
But that is similar to wondering if some of the pre 50’s great MLB players would have been as good in later years.
FWIW, there are other Jim Brown videos on youtube. I decided to pick the shortest one. Maybe the others are more impressive. You are certainly right that it is hard to compare past players with today's. It may be helpful to keep in mind that the passing game was nowhere near as advanced then as it is today and so teams were much more dependent than now on quality running backs.

Speaking of changes from 60s/70s.
In photos from that era you see players with a ton of pads on their arms/hands.
Few pad-up like that anymore and people assume its to be lighter and faster.

The real reason was line players and LBs couldn't use their hands - they had to use forearm "flippers."
The flippers were using arms as impact levers.
If you were a DL you threw your arm back at snap and then swung it in and up to a blockers chest.
If you were a pulling guard you hit your target with your forearms arms folded like a battering ram device.

Once players could uses their hands the flippers and battering-forearm blocks faded off and players didn't need all the pads. Arms and hands could get pretty sore throwing them around like clubs on guys dressed in plastic shells and helmets.

Sometimes I wonder if the old blocking style (when DL couldn't use hands) helped OL block better

ByGceBT.jpeg

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Yeah, so true. Sometimes I laugh when I see lists of the greatest QBs of all time and they are all from the past twenty years...

Yeah, so true. Sometimes I laugh when I see lists of the greatest QBs of all time and they are all from the past twenty years...
It's funny - you look back now at some of those stats- Staubach/Bradshaw - even Elway and Montana- I would bet that their stats would pale to 80% of current starting QB's. And outside of Mahomes- would you take any of the current guys over the 4 I mentioned.

Reactions: Kbee3 and miket007
In a fitting end to his bodily presence here on Earth, OJ is scheduled to burn (in Hell I'd like to think) via the crematory process today.

It's funny - you look back now at some of those stats- Staubach/Bradshaw - even Elway and Montana- I would bet that their stats would pale to 80% of current starting QB's. And outside of Mahomes- would you take any of the current guys over the 4 I mentioned.
Yeah.

The NFL isn't stupid. They know most fans only care about yards, forward passes, and touchdowns (I'm not one of them), so they have been changing the game accordingly. ..

That was my take too at the time. Was working in Newark at a very diverse place. I get it, but it still drives me nuts because this was a horrible domestic violence case and that, along with the deceased, were overshadowed by the tensions of the time.
Seeing black women jumping with joy and crying made me absolutely sick. Gateway Center in Newark. One told me that OJ couldn't have killed Goldman because OJ was old. I informed her that OJ was the best player in the NFL in his day. He could walk onto our floor and destroy the biggest 25 year old there. Without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: Kbee3
Jim Brown remains a legend in Manhasset. You walk on to their athletic field and there is a billboard of his accomplishments. Greatest lacrosse player ever? Many think so. He could play today and be an All Pro. Better than Bo Jackson.

Seeing black women jumping with joy and crying made me absolutely sick. Gateway Center in Newark. One told me that OJ couldn't have killed Goldman because OJ was old. I informed her that OJ was the best player in the NFL in his day. He could walk onto our floor and destroy the biggest 25 year old there. Without breaking a sweat.
most people don't understand the difference between an NFL player and most humans- even as they get a little older. These are men trained with aggression, with full understanding and control of their bodies and fear of pain is not a part of the thought process. The old saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" does not relate.
Even my own son- has been out of football for 11 years- not sure many men his size or smaller, would want to even test him.

Reactions: patk89
most people don't understand the difference between an NFL player and most humans- even as they get a little older. These are men trained with aggression, with full understanding and control of their bodies and fear of pain is not a part of the thought process. The old saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" does not relate.
Even my own son- has been out of football for 11 years- not sure many men his size or smaller, would want to even test him.
Ron Goldman was 5'9" 170 lbs. Not much of a match for OJ.

100% agree! Back in summer 1988 Tony Sacca threw a graduation party that many athletes from Burlington County attended including Alonzo Spellman who got drunk and started buggin. Needless to say 6 of us ran down on him but the first person my boy Brian Robbs aka "Break" approached him and got knocked the hell out which we then put the bum rush on his big ass hell after stomping him out he still wasn't out SMH....

I read somewhere that Roger Staubach is one of the richest football players ever. He is a real estate tycoon and worth about $600 Million.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Interesting story on Jack Ford, Pt. Beach High School grad and Spring Lake resident. @WhiteBus , did you ever run into Jack Ford (older than you, obviously):

Great find! Thank you for sharing. I guess I was wrong in my previous posts that the domestic violence aspect of the case was overshadowed - it seems like the attention led to some positive change.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting story on Jack Ford, Pt. Beach High School grad and Spring Lake resident. @WhiteBus , did you ever run into Jack Ford (older than you, obviously):

Yes. There was a bar called Jack Ford's in Point Pleasant Beach that was tied into his family tree. I don't believe he had anything to do with it ownership wise but would be there on occasion after a Pt. Beach win on a Friday night, where the team would go after.
Back then he wasn't involved in TV. He was an attorney and a prosecutor at the time.
He is one of the few people who played football at both Pt. Beach and Boro. (Obviously moved at some time during HS) Also played at Yale.

I read somewhere that Roger Staubach is one of the richest football players ever. He is a real estate tycoon and worth about $600 Million.
yes, he is part owner of a PE firm

Great American, awesome QB, veteran

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT