ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Online MBA

xxdxpxx

All American
Sep 16, 2006
worth it? through rutgers or otherwise? have a close friend who swears by his but looking for the general sentiment. been in the workforce 8+ years (all with same company) but looking to add to my credentials in some way.

UNC has a really good online MBA. It's not cheap, but if your company is willing to pay I'd highly recommend it.

(Insert UNC academic joke here)

One of the most important learning experiences in getting an MBA is the interaction with other students (especially in team projects). I don't know how you get that from an on-line MBA.

You are going to get mixed reviews here. You have a portion of posters who are more traditional and believe you need to go in person. Then you have those who are more cutting edge and think the online may work.

I like online classes but think a program that is 75-80% online with monthly in person days may be better. The material should be the same wherever since you still need to learn it but for group projects and interaction the in person helps. In addition, you want the networking connections for after you graduate.

Reactions: jmc11201
One of the most important learning experiences in getting an MBA is the interaction with other students (especially in team projects). I don't know how you get that from an on-line MBA.
A good online program consists of courses that replicate the classroom through extensive asynchronous discussion forums. A bad online program consists of courses that are essentially self-study. A good online course will require more hours of work than the equivalent classroom course and you will get to know your classmates more than in f2f class.

For a measure of quality assurance only consider programs that are AACSB accredited.

I have an mba from nyu (part time), I worked for a bulge bracket investment bank before and after the mba (since 01). At this point in my career I would have been at the same level (Director) whether I had the MBA or not. My advice is make sure you have a plan on how you are going to use your mba (career change etc) otherwise it's a waste of money. As for online, if you do want to switch careers make sure career services is available to you.

I know people always think of an MBA as a way of career advancement (and rightfully so). However, don't forget that when the deep cuts come, it also can protect you from being one of them.

I went to Seton Hall (full time), even though their MBA program is built for the part time commuter at night. RU told me to pound sand.

The interaction among professionals was priceless. So much more fulfilling than undergrad. Did it help my career? hmmm. Tough question. Probably not.

Grad school is more of an art than a science if you should or should not go. It is sooooo industry dependent.

As for onsite or online: Do you want to grow as a professional learning from others or just looking for the piece of paper? No one else can answer this for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: miketd1
Professionally speaking, if you are happy with your existing company and feel like you have upward mobility, an online MBA while working might be your best option. This way you don't give up two years of earnings, you can continue to get experience in the field/with the company you want to be with after the MBA, and you get the added credentials that won't hurt you at any point.

If you want to switch careers, online is probably less valuable.

I switched careers after my full-time MBA program at Indiana.

Paying on your own dime - NO! Just go to Coursera or EDX & go through some of those courses instead.

If work's paying for it - maybe. It really depends on what specialization you're looking it.

MBA is all about networking - It doesn't make sense in paying for an online MBA when you can find similar courses online for free or for very low $$$ (by the means of certificates)

This is a very important point. Internships are also very important and i don't know how you do that if you have a full time job. My advice is to go to the best program you can get into, Full Time. Getting an MBA and sticking to the same career is a waste, imo.

If you don't want to do full time, then investigate the CFA, which might be more practical for some.

yeah, certainly not going to do full time. i am in finance now and have thought about the CFA, but i'm not convinced that i will stay in finance forever, so why waste 3+ years studying for something i may end up not using? i'd like to potentially bolster my resume in some way, but it really needs to be practical. i've also looked into PMP certification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT