ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Beatles

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
Picked up a new car in MA this weekend and drove it to DC, a 7-8 hour drive. The car came with a Sirius Radio one month trial, which I have never had. I was switching around the various stations and landed on the Beatles channel. They were doing a Memorial Day Weekend top 100 Beatles songs as voted by the fans. Always been a fan, mainly in my younger years, but I haven't listened to them much recently.

What an amazing collection of songs and what artists they were. One song after another was instantly recognizable, different, and varied from great to outstanding (only a couple I didn't care for). When listening to them in a non-format sequence like that their greatness was really apparent. There were early, middle and late tunes. Bubble gum, rock, ballads, psychedelia, folk, country and western influences. A bit of everything. Really an amazing catalog. Just one or two of those songs would have made another band's career. We're lucky to have had them.

An amazing catalog made more amazing by the fact that Paul McCartney can't read music and doesn't really know chord theory.

The "McCartney 3, 2, 1..." interview is great. He tells a story about the target chord in one of their songs and how he more or less stumbled on it by accident. As part of the commentary, he describes how someone had asked him what chord it was and he responded, "It's an F-something, I don't know. I didn't know. I still don't f*cking know."

I enjoy their sound.

Especially the earlier work that some musicians and those with better ears might not.

HELP
Is one of the great albums in history.
Even Beatle detractors who listen from start to finish admit it’s a work of genius.

Last edited:
Many who are under 70 yrs old do not fully understand the impact on popular music The Beatles had. I’m a little younger (65) and did not experience the “Beatlemania” days. However, I’m a bit of a musical historian and read a lot and listen to older music. When they emerged in the 64/65 period , suddenly most young people wanted to be in a rock band. This coincided with rise of the counterculture of which music was the main force. With millions of young people playing in bands, rock would hit its apex in quality and quantity over the next 10 years. The Beatles sound and writing rapidly evolved and by the late 60s they really defined that period of time.

Many who are under 70 yrs old do not fully understand the impact on popular music The Beatles had. I’m a little younger (65) and did not experience the “Beatlemania” days. However, I’m a bit of a musical historian and read a lot and listen to older music. When they emerged in the 64/65 period , suddenly most young people wanted to be in a rock band. This coincided with rise of the counterculture of which music was the main force. With millions of young people playing in bands, rock would hit its apex in quality and quantity over the next 10 years. The Beatles sound and writing rapidly evolved and by the late 60s they really defined that period of time.
I’m 66, how is it possible you say you didn’t experience Beatlemania?
I had Beatle boots and remember A Hard Days Night and HELP movies like it was yesterday.

An amazing catalog made more amazing by the fact that Paul McCartney can't read music and doesn't really know chord theory.

The "McCartney 3, 2, 1..." interview is great. He tells a story about the target chord in one of their songs and how he more or less stumbled on it by accident. As part of the commentary, he describes how someone had asked him what chord it was and he responded, "It's an F-something, I don't know. I didn't know. I still don't f*cking know."

I am a HUGE Beatles fan. with that said - the whole "Paul couldnt read music" thing is overblown. none of the other Beatles did either and I would guess that most popular Rock/ Pop musicians dont read music.

and the whole "he doesnt really know chord theory" thing .... respectfully.... that's b.s. whether he was trained in chord theory or not... he knows it, if not instinctively.

I think a lot of that comes from Paul's modest, self-deprecating style.

him not knowing the exact name of the F chord and his stumbling upon it isnt proof that he doesnt know chord theory. It aint wrong if it sounds right.

he probably knows hundreds of chords without knowing their exact names but just instinctively knows when to use them (even if he doesnt have the music theory vocabulary to explain WHY they work). He just knows when they work and, since he is so musically gifted, uses certain chords at certain moments to beautiful effect.

if you go on youtube you will find tons of analysis of beatles songs that talk about how a lot of their songs are very sophisticated from a music theory perspective (particularly for popular music at the time). you dont do that repeatedly if youre just stumbling around all the time. Paul likes to downplay his music knowledge (possibly out of modestly/ possibly cause its feeds into the "Paul is a music genius" thing).

again, they knew what they were doing - even if they couldnt verbalize the music theory going on.

lastly they worked with George Martin - and he REALLY DID know what was going on in terms of music theory.

Last edited:
I think the Beatles caught a big break by becoming huge very quickly. When record promoters probably wanted them to keep producing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" clones (because they knew that would produce $$$ in the short run), the Beatles had the power and freedom to do what they wanted to do, not what the record promoters demanded. Because of that, you got a waterfall of great rock music that also paved the way for many other rock groups.

Promoters want hits and $$$$, the folks who make the music want the creativity and artistry to explore. The promoters don't want to back a risk. But if you follow the promoters, you get short term success until everyone gets bored with you.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
There was a thread on the rivals main board where a number of posters, probably too young, thought the Beatles were over rated
Of course they were dead wrong, but you could not argue with them because they did not live it
They listen to some of the early, simplistic but catchy tunes and decide the music was not good enough for rave reviews

on another note, we see that the Swift concerts, like many others, now extend over 3 hours
The Beatle Shea stadium shows averaged 30 minutes. You could pack 12 two minute songs into that time frame
And I guess the public was satisfied

Back then, recording contracts were heavily skewed in favor of the record companies. Even with a #1 hit, recording artists didn't make much money. They made their money touring. Having hit records was means to an end - that end being ticket sales to their live performances.

The Beatles grew to HATE touring. (Paul being the exception.) Fortunately for them, they made enough money at it to become strictly a studio band, which enabled them to experiment with different styles, which is why they are so strongly remembered today.

By the time the Beatles transitioned out of guitar based pop, Beatlemania was already waning. Their last concert at Candlestick Park in August 1966 was only about half full.

I had Beatle boots and remember A Hard Days Night and HELP movies like it was yesterday.
I can remember that stuff but I wasn’t old enough to be emotionally involved, 7, 8, 9 years old. The experience was more life changing for young and older teenagers at that time. The emotional impact of getting into rock music didn’t occur for me until the early to mid 70s.

There was a thread on the rivals main board where a number of posters, probably too young, thought the Beatles were over rated
Of course they were dead wrong, but you could not argue with them because they did not live it
They listen to some of the early, simplistic but catchy tunes and decide the music was not good enough for rave reviews

on another note, we see that the Swift concerts, like many others, now extend over 3 hours
The Beatle Shea stadium shows averaged 30 minutes. You could pack 12 two minute songs into that time frame
And I guess the public was satisfied
Just the fact that we are still discussing and occasionally listening to their songs almost 60 years since they appeared on Ed Sullivan speaks to their lasting brilliance. It's simply mindboggling how innovative and prolific they were in what was really a short period of time if you just consider the 1964 - 1969 / 1970 or so timeframe.

Many "solo" post-Beatle efforts are considered classics as well. Just pure-genius really.

Back then, recording contracts were heavily skewed in favor of the record companies. Even with a #1 hit, recording artists didn't make much money. They made their money touring. Having hit records was means to an end - that end being ticket sales to their live performances.

The Beatles grew to HATE touring. (Paul being the exception.) Fortunately for them, they made enough money at it to become strictly a studio band, which enabled them to experiment with different styles, which is why they are so strongly remembered today.

By the time the Beatles transitioned out of guitar based pop, Beatlemania was already waning. Their last concert at Candlestick Park in August 1966 was only about half full.

They actually began the transition late 1965 with "Rubber Soul" followed by "Revolver". Those were not pop albums. With Sgt. Pepper's it was complete. '67 was a landmark for a slew of albums that changed the genre.

Im the same age as you zap. we grew up with the Beatles. I was 12 and had a guitar cuz I wanted to play Beatles music.
I was 10 er less and my mother bought us the first 3 Beatles albums, my brothers and I used em as frisbees in the back yard.

Just the fact that we are still discussing and occasionally listening to their songs almost 60 years since they appeared on Ed Sullivan speaks to their lasting brilliance. It's simply mindboggling how innovative and prolific they were in what was really a short period of time if you just consider the 1964 - 1969 / 1970 or so timeframe.

personally I dont even group them with anyone else. for me: Its The Beatles and then its everyone else. They werent a "group from the 60s". they are just The Beatles. FWIW, I was born after they disbanded so you didnt need to experience Beatlemania to know how special they were. Their music did that.

personally, I'm partial to John's stuff particularly from the Help through Revolver period. eg, "Tomorrow Never Knows"... are you kidding me?!?!

Reactions: Rush12
personally I dont even group them with anyone else. for me: Its The Beatles and then its everyone else. They werent a "group from the 60s". they are just The Beatles. FWIW, I was born after they disbanded so you didnt need to experience Beatlemania to know how special they were. Their music did that.

personally, I'm partial to John's stuff particularly from the Help through Revolver period. eg, "Tomorrow Never Knows"... are you kidding me?!?!
Agreed. They were head and shoulders above every other band, ever and still are. Which is not to say there aren't artists/songs I absolutely love, because there are countless ones - but none as good as the Beatles. I'm also most partial to Help through Revolver, although that has probably changed several times over the years as my "favorite" songs and albums of theirs changes over time.

And for @RUboston - I've had SiriusXM in the car for about 16 years and I remember the day they finally stated a Beatles channel (always was a hole in their roster to not have one - or ones for other great British Invasion artists like the Stones, Who, Kinks, etc.) years ago, it made me so happy - great channel with lots of good specials on the band and the members.

And fwiw, our 28 year old son is a huge Beatles fan and agrees they were the best band ever - this is a kid who knows more about music than anyone I know other than Matt Pinfield - and Matt also will tell anyone who will listen that the Beatles were the best ever.

Im the same age as you zap. we grew up with the Beatles. I was 12 and had a guitar cuz I wanted to play Beatles music.
I was 10 er less and my mother bought us the first 3 Beatles albums, my brothers and I used em as frisbees in the back yard.
You can add a 007 James Bond exploding anttache case into the mix.
When I wasn’t sitting in the living room listening to music with my friends or playing sports, I was a secret agent.

• Love
Reactions: Bagarocks
I had the same experience when I watched a Beatles tribute band some years ago, hearing someone not The Beatles but doing a close version of them. No group has ever had such variety in their music, and they were doing it all for the first time.

And for @RUboston - I've had SiriusXM in the car for about 16 years and I remember the day they finally stated a Beatles channel (always was a hole in their roster to not have one - or ones for other great British Invasion artists like the Stones, Who, Kinks, etc.) years ago, it made me so happy - great channel with lots of good specials on the band and the members.

-
That’s surprising as I thought they would have been one of the first ones.

Must have been a legal thing?

Listen to interviews with famous musicians and bands, and when they are asked about their influences, many of them say “The Beatles.” That is a testament in itself. Not only were their songs, unique, but their recording techniques, were unique as well. Finally, their legacy was cemented when a movie comedy was actually made about what the world would be like if The Beatles never existed. It’s called “Yesterday”, and it’s a cute movie that will make you appreciate their music even more.

Scarlet, Jerry.

Last edited:
That’s surprising as I thought they would have been one of the first ones.

Must have been a legal thing?
It was, plus they always billed themselves as North America's satellite radio so no European band channels until them. They've added U2 since then but that's it. Plenty of US band channels.

The Beatles were before my time (although I do remember my oldest brother having a couple of their last albums), but I find it hilarious when I see people argue that they weren't that influential in changing the direction of music.

A couple years ago Moms Skillethead and I had dinner with good friends who are originally from England. Another couple joined who were visting NZ from Liverpool. We were all born from about 1948 to 1952. Over dinner, I ask the guy what he does for a living, and he responds, "Well, we do market research for conventions and the like, but really, I'm an old bass player." So the evening goes on, really nice folks, good conversation, and then "the penny dropped" (UK saying for, "the light bulb went on").

I say, "Wait a minute....You're an old bass player from Liverpool!?"

His response: "Knew 'em all! And none of us thought the Beatles were the best group at the time, they just seemed to come up with the best songs. Nice blokes, though. Brian Epstein really wanted to sign us, but we figured he had too many bands at the time, so we went with somebody else."

His band was called "The Inside Outfit" and if you google diligently, you can find them on some ad bills. Had a great time the rest of the evening talking about Liverpool in the mid '60's.

I was Generation Jones and not quite eligible for Beatles, Woodstock, Vietnam, B&W TV.

I know the Beatles were good musicians, but like Volkswagen buses that I see are cool, I was never drawn to them personally.

Probably haven't listened to a Beatles tune in a decade or more (probably "Come Together" since so many guitarists cover it)

They actually began the transition late 1965 with "Rubber Soul" followed by "Revolver". Those were not pop albums. With Sgt. Pepper's it was complete. '67 was a landmark for a slew of albums that changed the genre.
2 years for those 3 albums. Jaw dropping really. Plus Magical Mystery Tour.

HELP
Is one of the great albums in history.
Even Beatle detractors who listen from start to finish admit it’s a work of genius.
I heard a story about when the Beatles were shooting the movie "Help!"

Everyone was breaking for lunch on the set and one of the producers mentioned to John Lennon that they would need a theme song for the movie.

The producer assumed he had just given Lennon about 4-5 months cushion to create the song.

When everyone got back from lunch, John Lennon had written and presented "Help!" back to the producer. McCartney tweaked it just a little and voila.... done.

Reactions: zappaa
I heard a story about when the Beatles were shooting the movie "Help!"

Everyone was breaking for lunch on the set and one of the producers mentioned to John Lennon that they would need a theme song for the movie.

The producer assumed he had just given Lennon about 4-5 months cushion to create the song.

When everyone got back from lunch, John Lennon had written and presented "Help!" back to the producer. McCartney tweaked it just a little and voila.... done.
I always love your stories Source.
But wasn’t the movie named after the song?

Have you been able to visit The Beatles museum in Liverpool and some of the locations related to their history? If not I'd highly recommend

I'm 45, so obviously wasn't alive for the Beatles' run. But I absolutely love 90% of their catalog. I teach 6th graders and we often stumble into conversations about sports, music, movies, etc. I teach them about the Beatles and prove they're the best rock band ever very simply. I preface it by saying, "You may not like any of these 3 songs, but it will prove my point." Then I play I Wanna Hold Your Hand," "Helter Skelter," and "I Am the Walrus." I finish by saying. "Those 3 songs; same band. Case closed."

If you've never seen the movie "Yesterday" I recommend it. Story of a down and out ready to quit young musician who somehow ends up in a world where the Beatles never existed and he's the only one who knows their songs.
Great scene is when Ed Sheeran challeges him t come up with an original song in an hour.. He comes out with "The Long and Winding Road."
Nice movie.

p.s. Help! is one of the funniest movies I've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I always love your stories Source.
But wasn’t the movie named after the song?
Thanks, appreciate that.

"Eight Arms To Hold" was the original title, changed to "Help!" only near its release date.

And if you watch "Help!" and some of the editing looks somewhat familiar, it's because some of the guys who worked on that movie went on to work on "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

Last edited:
Reactions: zappaa
I'm 45, so obviously wasn't alive for the Beatles' run. But I absolutely love 90% of their catalog. I teach 6th graders and we often stumble into conversations about sports, music, movies, etc. I teach them about the Beatles and prove they're the best rock band ever very simply. I preface it by saying, "You may not like any of these 3 songs, but it will prove my point." Then I play I Wanna Hold Your Hand," "Helter Skelter," and "I Am the Walrus." I finish by saying. "Those 3 songs; same band. Case closed."

And those, in the opinion of many or at least myself, are not even their top songs. From early to late, "Yesterday", "Norwegian Wood", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps, "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" would top the list.

And those, in the opinion of many or at least myself, are not even their top songs. From early to late, "Yesterday", "Norwegian Wood", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps, "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" would top the list.
And the amazing thing about the Beatles is that none of your list would even make my top 20, despite them all being great songs. From early to late for me would be: All My Loving, Hard Day's Night, I'm Only Sleeping, A Day in the Life and Here Comes the Sun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT