ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Parasite the big winner at the Oscars

RU848789

Legend
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I posted about this film months ago in some thread I can't find, saying it was groundbreaking and the best film I had seen in years. Very happy to see it win Best Picture, Best Director, Best International Film and Best Screenplay (first time a film won Best International and Best Picture). Some of the other films were great, too, especially (IMO), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I thought Parasite was the best. If you haven't seen it, give it a whirl, especially if you don't mind subtitles. The acting is superb, the story is fantastic, but it's the direction and the story arc that are so understatedly chilling, especially towards the end - serious mind-f*** film.

I'll also put in a plug for Bong Joon-Ho's amazing film Snowpiercer, a dystopian sci-fi thriller that just blew me away a few years ago, such that I went back to see all his films. Given how great that film was, when I heard the great reviews for Parasite, I was hopeful and it didn't disappoint. Only caught the last 90 minutes (was at that amazing comeback at the RAC), so not much commentary on the show.

TV and Film money has started pouring into New Jersey. Over the last two years, it has increased from $68 million to $350 million. The Meadowlands Arena In East Rutherford has been converted into studios with NBC Universal and the TV show Loncoln Rhyme is currently filming here.

I posted about this film months ago in some thread I can't find, saying it was groundbreaking and the best film I had seen in years. Very happy to see it win Best Picture, Best Director, Best International Film and Best Screenplay (first time a film won Best International and Best Picture). Some of the other films were great, too, especially (IMO), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I thought Parasite was the best. If you haven't seen it, give it a whirl, especially if you don't mind subtitles. The acting is superb, the story is fantastic, but it's the direction and the story arc that are so understatedly chilling, especially towards the end - serious mind-f*** film.

I'll also put in a plug for Bong Joon-Ho's amazing film Snowpiercer, a dystopian sci-fi thriller that just blew me away a few years ago, such that I went back to see all his films. Given how great that film was, when I heard the great reviews for Parasite, I was hopeful and it didn't disappoint. Only caught the last 90 minutes (was at that amazing comeback at the RAC), so not much commentary on the show.

omg of course you liked Snowpiercer...I liked that one too, a movie that basically no one saw. Tilda Swinton was outstanding. They are doing a Snowpiercer tv series with Jennifer Connolly coming out in this year

Reactions: RU848789
omg of course you liked Snowpiercer...I liked that one too, a movie that basically no one saw. Tilda Swinton was outstanding. They are doing a Snowpiercer tv series with Jennifer Connolly coming out in this year

Glad to hear someone else saw it. My wife, son and I all thought it was fantastic. Chris Evans was also good in it, as was Kang Ho Song, who was unbelievably good in Parasite as the father of the parasitic family.

Reactions: bac2therac
I agree on SnowPiercer, the story sounds like a cheesy Syfy movie, I put it on as a joke , but then I was like, is that really Chris Evans in this movie? and then it turned out to be an excellent movie. Tilda Swinton was unrecognizable in her role but funny.

Nobody watches the Oscars anymore! LOOK at the ratings the last 10 years. Down , Down, DOWN !!:ThumbsDown TOO political !
I watch for one reason.

Actually two... ( . Y . )

Same reason I watch any awards show.

Last edited:
Reactions: vm7118
Glad to hear someone else saw it. My wife, son and I all thought it was fantastic. Chris Evans was also good in it, as was Kang Ho Song, who was unbelievably good in Parasite as the father of the parasitic family.
Saw Snowpiercer those Koreans have some sick twisted minds right along with Old Boy, not the Spike Lee/Josh Bolin crap but the original one. Battle Royale is another good one many say Hunger Games was just a ripoff of that movie. Though that one's Japanese.

Nobody watches the Oscars anymore! LOOK at the ratings the last 10 years. Down , Down, DOWN !!:ThumbsDown TOO political !

Which it why it was refreshing to hear Bong Joon Ho's acceptance speeches - very gracious. when he won Best International Film he thanked the Academy for changing the title of the award from :Best Foreign Film" and said he was honored to be the first recipient under the new name. When he came up for Best Director he honored Scorsce and offered to cut the trophy into 5 pieces and share with the other nominees.
Oh and he admitted his plan was to drink all night.

I liked Parasite. I'm also glad that 1917 did not win, since it was too much like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure in WWI. Those 2 guys were on a mission to stop a massive slaughter of troops in like 24 hours, and yet they dawdled and stopped for escapades and such.

Oldboy is definitely a classic. Check out the other two movies in Park Chan Wook's vengeance trilogy too (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance)
Also, The Handmaiden is really good.

Other recommendations: New World, I Saw the Devil, The Man from Nowhere, Sunny, Cyrano Agency

I'd rather watch paint dry WHILE someone is scratching a chalkboard with their nails.

(but do need to check out Parasite...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
TV and Film money has started pouring into New Jersey. Over the last two years, it has increased from $68 million to $350 million. The Meadowlands Arena In East Rutherford has been converted into studios with NBC Universal and the TV show Loncoln Rhyme is currently filming here.

lincoln rhymes has used several NJ locations already

Liked Snowpiercer and Okja.. but my favorite was "The Host" (though ts a bit disturbing that the USA gets blamed for everything). I have a thing for monster films. Now I want to check out that "Train to Busan".

Saw Snowpiercer those Koreans have some sick twisted minds right along with Old Boy, not the Spike Lee/Josh Bolin crap but the original one. Battle Royale is another good one many say Hunger Games was just a ripoff of that movie. Though that one's Japanese.
Heard Old Boy was good. Watched Battle Royale with my son a few years ago (he's into a lot of Japanese and Korean cinema and was the one who got me to see Snowpiercer) and it was awesome. Definitely the "godfather" of the everyone-kills-each-other-until-there's-one-survivor genre.

Reactions: koleszar

I do not go to movies with subtitles. I can't watch the movie and read the dialog. Drives me crazy.
A friend went to see Parasite and said it was awful. Walked out, went into another show at the theater where her friend was and she walked out of that one too.
Quite frankly there are very few movies these days that I would go to.

Reactions: newell138
Which it why it was refreshing to hear Bong Joon Ho's acceptance speeches - very gracious. when he won Best International Film he thanked the Academy for changing the title of the award from :Best Foreign Film" and said he was honored to be the first recipient under the new name. When he came up for Best Director he honored Scorsce and offered to cut the trophy into 5 pieces and share with the other nominees.
Oh and he admitted his plan was to drink all night.
american actors could have learned a thing or 5 from that speech.
Still trying to decipher whatever the frack Phoenix said.

Still trying to decipher whatever the frack Phoenix said.
I listened to that speech and thought damn he's turning into the old senile Marlon Brando at quite a young age. Just a torturous random monologue of pure nothingness. All I got is something about cows and how milk is the root cause of all evil human beings.

Last edited:
I listened to that speech and thought damn he's turning into the old senile Marlon Brando at quite a young age. Just a torturous random monologue of pure nothingness. All I got is something about cows and how milk is the root cause of all evil human beings.

Just watched the speech and it brought this to mind (helped, no doubt, by both the Bill & Ted mention earlier this thread and the quick shot of Keanu in the audience)

iu

Parasite is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time... funny as hell in a sick twisted sense." Why is he laughing d..I need to keep reading him his Miranda rights."....lol

Oldboy is definitely a classic. Check out the other two movies in Park Chan Wook's vengeance trilogy too (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance)

Other recommendations: New World, I Saw the Devil, The Man from Nowhere, Sunny, Cyrano Agency
Chaser.

If you're a fan of Snowpiercer, TNT is releasing a series (also called Snowpiercer) with Jennifer Connelly and Daveed Diggs (from Hamilton) in a few months which is based on the prior projects and takes place some years after. Bong is an EP on the show (although I'm not 100% how connected he is or if the credit is more just because of the prior work)

Reactions: RU848789
I do not go to movies with subtitles. I can't watch the movie and read the dialog. Drives me crazy.
A friend went to see Parasite and said it was awful. Walked out, went into another show at the theater where her friend was and she walked out of that one too.

Agreed. It looks good but can’t deal with the subtitles

Reactions: Jm0513

Wait a minute... Theres TWO MORE of those OLDBOY MOVIES????0__00__00__0 That movie MINDF***ED THE HELL OUT OF ME for a couple of hours afterwards. One of the best action movies ever... And theres TWO MORE????

Just watched the speech and it brought this to mind (helped, no doubt, by both the Bill & Ted mention earlier this thread and the quick shot of Keanu in the audience)

iu
These dudes like all in Hollywood are full of crap
They are all for social justice until it directly impacts them. They are ageist

Reactions: koleszar and Vlife
Snowpiercer stars Chris Evans and is in English

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT