ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phil Mickelson

The CJ Open is on TV right now. The announcers are scrubs and so are the golfers. Is this worth it?? This should be the LIV slot and they would have jumped on it. The PGA could have shut it down for 8 or ten weeks and lose anything.
Just stop. 15 of the top 20 is there. LIV would wet their pants for this field.

The CJ Open is on TV right now. The announcers are scrubs and so are the golfers. Is this worth it?? This should be the LIV slot and they would have jumped on it. The PGA could have shut it down for 8 or ten weeks and lose anything.
Scrubs?

Rory
JT
Hovland
Spieth
Lowry
Rahm
Fitzpatrick
Homa
Morikawa
Scheffler
Simpson
Young

and others

Come on guy.

Reactions: Joey Bags
You keep saying that but it isn’t true. LIV never was willing or interested in the fall alone.
Never said that. They could have taken the last 3 of the WGC events partly funded by the PGA and some of the fall weeks around the globe.

Field is definitely very legit. Much better than anything Liv could put out right now.

Really??
After 2 rounds.
T1T. Mullinax

titleist
-6F-6
T1G. Woodland

titleist
-6F-6
T3A. Wise

titleist
-5F-5
T3W. Clark

titleist
-5F-5
T3T. Kim

titleist
-5F-5

qgTs4qbQ

lFJcNJj3

r371ENs2

T3R. McIlroy
-5F-5
T3C. Davis

titleist
-5F-5
T3K. Kitayama
-5F-5
T9V. Hovland

titleist
-4F-4
T9S.W.. Kim
-4F-4
T9T. Moore

titleist
-4F-4
T9T. Hatton

titleist
-4F-4
T9S. Power

titleist
-4F-4
T9S. Im

titleist
-4F-4

Well the Saudis making their own major tournaments has ended before it had a chance to fail or succeed..

LIV Golf executive walks back saying he would 'create my own majors' - Sports Illustrated Golf: News.
"The CEO of the Saudi Golf Federation said his widely ridiculed comments were borne out of frustration over LIV Golf's 'blackballing' by the PGA Tour."
https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-go...f-comments-that-he-would-create-my-own-majors

You said the players are scrubs. They're not. Are you saying a tournament is only worthwhile if the top playersare leading?

You could make up two 8 player teams from the field this week that would kick any LIV team's butt.
The exception is Rory in the top 10. My bigger point is if all the top players that are in this tournament made a run at it would anyone care or talk about it. The PGA itself admitted going against college football and the NFL was a bad idea. So they move the PGA to the Spring and move the FedEx to finish around Labor Day. But then they come up with these tournaments with zero appeal?? Not covering their expenses like the normally do. And announcers who are basically unknown. Basically if a tree falls in the woods...
The players before Phils comments were screaming to get better pay for the top 50. Tiger and Rory included. Then that blows up and now we are going watch golfers play video games?

The exception is Rory in the top 10. My bigger point is if all the top players that are in this tournament made a run at it would anyone care or talk about it. The PGA itself admitted going against college football and the NFL was a bad idea. So they move the PGA to the Spring and move the FedEx to finish around Labor Day. But then they come up with these tournaments with zero appeal?? Not covering their expenses like the normally do. And announcers who are basically unknown. Basically if a tree falls in the woods...
The players before Phils comments were screaming to get better pay for the top 50. Tiger and Rory included. Then that blows up and now we are going watch golfers play video games?
Along with Rory? Spieth, Thomas, Rahm, and Scheffler. Step down Morikawa, Lowry, and Hovland.

That's better than LIV. Do you really think golf fans care if DJ. Phil or Cam Smith win a LIV event? Regular Tour yes but not LIV. They may as well be playing a Canadian Tour event in Saskatoon.

Reactions: Joey Bags
Well the Saudis making their own major tournaments has ended before it had a chance to fail or succeed..

LIV Golf executive walks back saying he would 'create my own majors' - Sports Illustrated Golf: News.
"The CEO of the Saudi Golf Federation said his widely ridiculed comments were borne out of frustration over LIV Golf's 'blackballing' by the PGA Tour."
https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-go...f-comments-that-he-would-create-my-own-majors
Creating your own major is silly.

Reactions: knightfan7
Along with Rory? Spieth, Thomas, Rahm, and Scheffler. Step down Morikawa, Lowry, and Hovland.

That's better than LIV. Do you really think golf fans care if DJ. Phil or Cam Smith win a LIV event? Regular Tour yes but not LIV. They may as well be playing a Canadian Tour event in Saskatoon.
I was talking about the top 10 on the leaderboard after 2 rounds. Rory is the only one on the list

Totally off this topic but did you go to the Point Beach/ Manasquan tug of war at the inlet?

It should be noted that according to Eddie Pepperell, DP tried to work with LIV giving them slots in the fall and winter and they said LIV was negotiating in bad faith, wouldn't compromise, etc.

I think the PGA has hamfisted this to an extent but I also think many don't trust LIV as far as they can throw them.

Counting this past weekend in his last 16 starts on a real tour,Rory has 12 Top 10's including 3 wins which puts him at 23 in his career.

That's some powerful golfing right there. It also shows just how incredible Tiger and Jack were during their day.

Interesting article on polling on LIV. LIV is not very popular with serious golfers. The widest support for LIV comes from younger golfers, which makes sense. However, some of the things that LIV claims is changing the game - shot gun starts, 54 holes, music, team action - aren't all that popular even with the pro-LIV crowd. Part of this is just the newness of the thing, and that could change over time, but with their current broadcast situation it might be tough to gain any more traction with fans.

Last edited:
Interesting article on polling on LIV. LIV is not very popular with serious golfers. The widest support for LIV comes from younger golfers, which makes sense. However, some of the things that LIV claims is changing the game - shot gun starts, 54 holes, music, team action - aren't all that popular even with the pro-LIV crowd. Part of this is just the newness of the thing, and that could change over time, but with their current broadcast situation it might be tough to gain any more traction with fans.

Articles like this are just a waste of space for the most part. As the article mentioned, LIV is really too new to rate. I am one of the old school guys, but like both LIV and the PGA Tour. Not all of us are against change. Give it time and a US TV contract will change a lot of opinions.

Articles like this are just a waste of space for the most part. As the article mentioned, LIV is really too new to rate. I am one of the old school guys, but like both LIV and the PGA Tour. Not all of us are against change. Give it time and a US TV contract will change a lot of opinions.

How is it a waste of space? It's giving a real time analysis of where LIV's popularity lies in its first year. The fact not many can or want to watch it is a real time problem that LIV has to overcome and this numbers tend to reinforce the hurdles LIV still has in front of them. Some of the things (54 holes, shotgun starts, etc) they thought would help sell them to viewers and patrons are looking like they aren't all that enticing at all (or people just really don't care about them one way or the other).

To me, people don't watch LIV or go to LIV because it's 54 holes or music is blaring. I think they go for a few reasons - one, maybe they just like watching golf, two they like the players on LIV and three, I absolutely think there is a political aspect to some of the pro-LIV crowd.

How is it a waste of space? It's giving a real time analysis of where LIV's popularity lies in its first year. The fact not many can or want to watch it is a real time problem that LIV has to overcome and this numbers tend to reinforce the hurdles LIV still has in front of them. Some of the things (54 holes, shotgun starts, etc) they thought would help sell them to viewers and patrons are looking like they aren't all that enticing at all (or people just really don't care about them one way or the other).

To me, people don't watch LIV or go to LIV because it's 54 holes or music is blaring. I think they go for a few reasons - one, maybe they just like watching golf, two they like the players on LIV and three, I absolutely think there is a political aspect to some of the pro-LIV crowd.
They have held 7 events all pretty much spaced out. And a bunch during football season. People don't even watch the PGA Tour in football season. With no US TV contract and a media that does nothing but bash them. You think you are going to get an honest poll now? These events were just the appetizer. Like any start up, you need to give them some time / get used to what's different. Get back to me after half the season next year.

Personally I don't think LIV survives without a US TV contract, spaced out events and playing during football season. The one thing I do like is the shotgun start. Most people don't have the time to dedicate an entire day watching golf with limited action. A 4 hour window with all the best playing at once sounds much better to me.

Reactions: tomatocan
Has everyone who got bags to join LIV actually been paid? Would hate to be holding that empty bag when the rug pull happens.

They have held 7 events all pretty much spaced out. And a bunch during football season. People don't even watch the PGA Tour in football season. With no US TV contract and a media that does nothing but bash them. You think you are going to get an honest poll now? These events were just the appetizer. Like any start up, you need to give them some time / get used to what's different. Get back to me after half the season next year.

Personally I don't think LIV survives without a US TV contract, spaced out events and playing during football season. The one thing I do like is the shotgun start. Most people don't have the time to dedicate an entire day watching golf with limited action. A 4 hour window with all the best playing at once sounds much better to me.

Sure, why wouldn't you get an honest poll right now? They also polled LIV fans as part of their sample. They talked to LIV fans about what they like and don't like about the product. Some of the results were a bit surprising as what LIV says is game changing - 54 holes, music, etc. - even LIV fans are somewhat wishy washy on that stuff.

Dustin's 4 Aces wins the Team championship!

The victory capped a monster earnings year for Johnson, by far the biggest money winner in the first year of LIV. Including his $18 million for winning the season-long individual title, Johnson finished with $35,637,767 in earnings.

Dustin's 4 Aces wins the Team championship!

The victory capped a monster earnings year for Johnson, by far the biggest money winner in the first year of LIV. Including his $18 million for winning the season-long individual title, Johnson finished with $35,637,767 in earnings.

Good for DJ. Even better for his teammates. Take the money while they can.

I think I heard there was a liv event this weekend but wasn’t able to find it on tv. Maybe I was mistaken.

The unauthorized biography by Alan Shipnick is released next week, during the PGA tournament where Phil is defending champion. But will he play in it? This article indicates that the PGA Tour wants Phil to declare All-In or All-Out with them. Meanwhile Phil is scheduled to play in all 8 Saudi events that start next month.

Also it has been strongly rumored that Bones Mackey, Phil’s former caddie and now TV analyst, quit on Phil’s bag due to money issues. This book will really hurt Phil’s public reputation imo.

Since the thread is about golf, I highly recommend the USGA golf museum in Liberty Corner, NJ.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Screw TV, watching golf on YouTube is so much easier.

For you, but clearly not for most golf fans. And LIV realizes this which is why they are shaking every tree they can to get a TV deal (or as was previously reported, even trying to buy air time to try to get people to watch).

It's going to be interesting to see how this franchise rights thing works. The plan seems to be to sell off ownership of the "teams". This appears to be part of the compensation to some players who have ownership stakes in the teams. They get paid when someone buys a portion or all of the team. I would have to think LIV would have to have a real TV deal before anyone would want to wade into being a golf team franchise owner. But it is a really fascinating approach by LIV. Whether it works, who knows.

Also, Patrick Reed just named more people in his defamation suits. He first sued the PGA Tour, Golf Channel, Brandel Chamblee, Damon Hack, Shane Bacon, Eamon Lunch, Gannett Sports and Golf Week. He's now suing Shane Ryan of Golf Digest, Hachette, New York Post, Fox Sports (that's an interesting one considering LIV is trying to get Fox to broadcast their events), Doug Ferguson and the AP. He's basically gonna sue everyone and anyone who ever criticized him. Not surprising given who his attorney is.

I am not really feeling this whole virtual league thing Rory and Tiger are starting. But it appears to be attracting a ton of wealthy and well known investors.

I am not really feeling this whole virtual league thing Rory and Tiger are starting. But it appears to be attracting a ton of wealthy and well known investors.
I’m with you. I enjoy practicing on a simulator and drinking beers with friends. I wouldn’t watch someone else doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT