ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Philadelphia Eagles 2023 Season Thread

Taking my boys to training camp. I've actually never been. They're 8 and 7 and very excited. Very positive reports so dar on both first rounders give me optimism.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Taking my boys to training camp. I've actually never been. They're 8 and 7 and very excited. Very positive reports so dar on both first rounders give me optimism.
Have fun.

I have to laugh at the line about what gives you optimism for the team though. I know we Philly fans (and RU fans) are used to being hurt, but they were a few plays away from winning the SB last year and might be better this year. We should be optimistic. It should be between them, Dallas and SF this year in the NFC, with the rest of the teams far behind.

Reasons for pessimism could be the change in coordinators but loosing Gannon is addition by subtraction. Desai should be good anyway and by all accounts Johnson is a rising star.

Have fun.

I have to laugh at the line about what gives you optimism for the team though. I know we Philly fans (and RU fans) are used to being hurt, but they were a few plays away from winning the SB last year and might be better this year. We should be optimistic. It should be between them, Dallas and SF this year in the NFC, with the rest of the teams far behind.

Reasons for pessimism could be the change in coordinators but loosing Gannon is addition by subtraction. Desai should be good anyway and by all accounts Johnson is a rising star.
I think the Giants could be pretty good too. If Waller is healthy, that could open up a lot for them on offense. As for the coordinators, not a big Gannon fan so I'm okay with that one. Wasn't crazy about seeing Sanders walk out the door, but I get the whole running back thing these days.

I think the Giants could be pretty good too. If Waller is healthy, that could open up a lot for them on offense. As for the coordinators, not a big Gannon fan so I'm okay with that one. Wasn't crazy about seeing Sanders walk out the door, but I get the whole running back thing these days.
I like Daboll as a HC, but outside of Thomas their OL is not good, their receivers are meh, and I wouldn't want Jones as my QB. He had an incredibly low average yards per pass last year.

Have fun.

Well, it's not the only thing I'm optimistic about. I think those were two major unknowns and I like what I'm hearing. I'm confident about almost every returning player. I think we'll be ok at OG, but that would be the other spot where I'm hoping to hear good things.

You Eagle fans had to love this Jalen Hurts quote when discussing what scouts thought about his QB ability

I had a purpose before you had an opinion

Reactions: RUDead
I attended open practice this weekend. Here's what I learned.
1. The 1s on offense are basically unstoppable.
2. The 2s on both side are not good. Injuries will hurt bad.
3. Mariota is faster than I thought.
4. Eagles fans are incredible. 50k for practice.

Grading the trade: How Eagles fared in deal with Broncos to acquire TE Albert Okwuegbunam

The part of Okwuegbunam’s game that improves the tight end position is his blocking, an area that Calcaterra has improved on but still has to improve. Okwuegbunam’s blocking is also on par with Jack Stoll, and he is a better receiver than Stoll

Eagles offseason has been great. The only big issue I see if back up QB.

Eagles offseason has been great. The only big issue I see if back up QB.
Roseman and team certainly killing it. Love the move of not keeping Siposs on the 53 man to make room for someone else, knowing that he likely wouldn't be claimed, then they could sign him to the practice squad and elevate him on game days.

Reactions: RUDead
Play calling needs to be more imaginative on first down. Other than that, can’t complain.

Rutgers and the Eagles have swapped their identities. Now the Eagles held a lead all of today but you feel pretty certain they’re going to cough it up.

Neither coordinator should be paid today.
Yea, not a good day for either one.

While he was going up against Belichick, Johnson did not have a good day. Got caught in a lot of 3rd and longs because the team didn't get positive yards on the 1st 2 downs. One of the best things about Steichen last year was his sequencing, he was great at calling plays to set up other ones.

I'll give Desai a little more of a break, because the Pats attacked the Eagles LBs, easily the worst position group on the team.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I was pissed that they let up that TD and 2 pt. conversion so fast, but then in true Eagle fashion they seal the game with a monster drive and don’t let them touch the ball again. Impressive.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I thought they would start using timeouts after the Eagles got their first or second first downs on the final drive. It was strange to not even try in a two-possession game.

Been a while with this thread. Thought I'd resurrect it to talk about the defensive performance by the birds. Great game for Sean Desai

Eagles mastered the 22 cheek sneak.

I see some teams just pile into the backs of their front players and thats dangerous.

Philly's left OL will lean slightly right on the push and the guys on right make soft pull to left and make a push on leaning players without smashing into their backs. Focused movement gaining momentum and not just a smash-up/crash-up

Whole lotta Philthy hometown cooking as usual...

Brad Allen's officiating crew was a one-sided farce in Eagles-Dolphins​

In the end, the Eagles beat the Dolphins, 31-17, and while that wasn’t all on the officiating, like we said… it was curious. Philly had no penalties in the game, and Miami had 10 for 70 yards.

Obviously the refs missed calls in last nights game, including thinking Kelce's hand was the hand of the left guard leading to offsetting penalties. On Carter's flop both he and the other guy were stupid for swinging at each other, I think even if he didn't flop they would have called offsetting penalties.

They held the hottest offense in the league to season lows. The biggest upgrade this season is going from Gannon to Desai.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT