ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers trading starting QB Pickett to Philly for draft picks

Good trade for the Steelers
after a great FA pick-up that was a steal.
Wilson signing for a song ( but wonder what he's singing now)
Fields for a 6th rounder or 4th according to playing time.

I just wonder if Wilson regrets jumping on the Steeler bandwagon so quickly before seeing what his value might turn into as camp gets closer.
Wilson might now feel the confidence Tomlin had in him was not as strong as he believed when he signed up.

Should be an interesting battle in the Steeler's pre-season camp for the starting job

Good trade for the Steelers
after a great FA pick-up that was a steal.
Wilson signing for a song ( but wonder what he's singing now)
Fields for a 6th rounder or 4th according to playing time.

I just wonder if Wilson regrets jumping on the Steeler bandwagon so quickly before seeing what his value might turn into as camp gets closer.
Wilson might now feel the confidence Tomlin had in him was not as strong as he believed when he signed up.

Should be an interesting battle in the Steeler's pre-season camp for the starting job
Really good point. Could’ve waited it out to see what injuries or regression played out in training camp. He was getting paid either way. I know he has a bad rep for being a me guy in recent years, but maybe at his core he’s more of the competitor that we saw in Birmingham and that’s why he made this choice.

And the Steelers trade for Justin Fields.
kto-kounotori.gif

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
As per ESPN:

Fields, though, will not compete with Wilson for a starting job, a team source told ESPN. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Jimpeg
As per ESPN:

Fields, though, will not compete with Wilson for a starting job, a team source told ESPN. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh.
Not a.bad move at all. Surprised at the negative reaction in one quarter not some quarters. JF is getting his Jordan Love period now with some game experience thrown in.

Be a grown up and have a discussion. You’re a mod after all. Tell me, why else do you think they made the move? Personally, I’m an Eagles fan so I don’t care if you guys suck in perpetuity. 😂

Oh, I'm sorry for trying to interject a little humor into the situation.

VO2DJHN.gif

I think they made the move because they screwed up their QB room. They let Rudolph go because they were sure they'd have Pickett. But then they decided to bring Wilson in and promise him he'd be the starter, shortly after they'd already promised the same thing go Pickett. So Pickett walked leaving them with no one other than Wilson in the QB room. (And I don't blame Pickett - he basically got lied to straight to his face.) So they now have no QB of the future unless Justin Fields does a complete 180. Sorry, but he has less than a 2:1 TD:INT ratio the last 2 years, that ain't gonna cut it in the AFC North.

And if Wilson has a good season, he's going to demand a megabucks multi-year contract which the Steelers would be foolish to give to an aging QB. So at best he's a one and done.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Oh, I'm sorry for trying to interject a little humor into the situation.

VO2DJHN.gif

I think they made the move because they screwed up their QB room. They let Rudolph go because they were sure they'd have Pickett. But then they decided to bring Wilson in and promise him he'd be the starter, shortly after they'd already promised the same thing go Pickett. So Pickett walked leaving them with no one other than Wilson in the QB room. (And I don't blame Pickett - he basically got lied to straight to his face.) So they now have no QB of the future unless Justin Fields does a complete 180. Sorry, but he has less than a 2:1 TD:INT ratio the last 2 years, that ain't gonna cut it in the AFC North.

And if Wilson has a good season, he's going to demand a megabucks multi-year contract which the Steelers would be foolish to give to an aging QB. So at best he's a one and done.
Man, you are taking such a negative view into the future. If Wilson has a great year and you get to that contract - so what? Pay him or move on. The plan is to get Fields ready and he did improve over the second half of the season. Either way, you only gave up a low draft pick for a back up qb that you needed. So why the complaining?

Pickett was not showing much of anything. Yes Matt Canada was a problem but even with him gone, Rudolph showed much more than Pickett last year.

I like the Fields trade at that price. Guy is talented. Maybe Wilson can teach him some things for a year or two.

Reactions: RUShea
Man, you are taking such a negative view into the future. If Wilson has a great year and you get to that contract - so what? Pay him or move on. The plan is to get Fields ready and he did improve over the second half of the season. Either way, you only gave up a low draft pick for a back up qb that you needed. So why the complaining?
Fields contract is up after this season and with his salary only a little over $3 mil
he's a bargain
Being a back-up like T2K posted a source said to ESPN will keep Wilson happy while Justin knows what he's walking into. So no trouble now like the Pickett situation seemed to be.

Pickett was not showing much of anything. Yes Matt Canada was a problem but even with him gone, Rudolph showed much more than Pickett last year.

I like the Fields trade at that price. Guy is talented. Maybe Wilson can teach him some things for a year or two.
Wilson needs to teach Fields how to throw.

Man, you are taking such a negative view into the future.

It's hard not to.

They let their best QB from last season walk, they traded probably their best WR for a CB (gee, which do they need more?), they pissed off their QB of the future by lying to him so he demanded a trade (and don't get me wrong, I was not sold on Pickett at all), and now they've traded for the Bears' failed QB of the future.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Both those trades appear asinine. You have no other playmaker at WR, so we'll be back to where we were this fall when Johnson was out: Pickens will be blanketed. Not keeping Rudolph at that price is insane - he had the best record/stats of any QB last fall.

The QB handling after Rothlesberger retired is head scratching at best. For example, I will never understand why they brought Trubisky in, what a waste of money that was.

Which I think was a good move, he just seemed out of sync in running their offense.

As I said above, they should have kept Rudolph. My biggest fear is that Wilson become a cancer on the team: I just don't think he's a cultural fit. Too many rumors/reports that he's a prima donna. I have to wonder if bringing him in was a Tomlin or Smith decision.

That would have been Chris Ash, so I wouldn't put much stock in that.
If he came to RU then. he would have been made into a TE who never caught any passes.

Let's see. They used to have Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph, and now they have Russell Wilson and Justin Fields. They paid couch change for Wilson and got Fields for a sixth-round pick. Fields has better stats all the way around over Pickett, and is a year younger.

Terrible front office work, no doubt.

Tomlin is 173-100-2 over his career and has never had a losing season. Been to two Super Bowls and won one of them. 10-7 last year with a lousy QB. In the last seven years, he's been 70-43-2. And only 52 years old.

If the Steelers are dumb enough to fire him, he'll be snapped up in a nanosecond. 11th winningest coach in NFL history, and at an age when most NFL coaches are just getting their first HC job.

Tomlin is 173-100-2 over his career and has never had a losing season. Been to two Super Bowls and won one of them. 10-7 last year with a lousy QB. In the last seven years, he's been 70-43-2. And only 52 years old.

If the Steelers are dumb enough to fire him, he'll be snapped up in a nanosecond. 11th winningest coach in NFL history, and at an age when most NFL coaches are just getting their first HC job.
Tomlin would be an HC upgrade for any team except KC/Reid.

like all stats guys, you fail miserably when you read into the numbers

like all stats guys, you fail miserably when you read into the numbers
How foolish of me to bring the actual data instead of distortions and a political agenda.

Here's another miserable fail: Tomlin has the third longest streak of non-losing seasons in the history of the NFl.

Belichick's record since losing Brady is 29-38, including 4-13 last year. That'll get you fired.

How foolish of me to bring the actual data instead of distortions and a political agenda.

Here's another miserable fail: Tomlin has the third longest streak of non-losing seasons in the history of the NFl.

Belichick's record since losing Brady is 29-38, including 4-13 last year. That'll get you fired.
That poster is best ignored. Large majority of his posts hurl insults at others.

Reactions: zealott
The combination of QB acquisitions has to be one of the strangest in NFL history. Clear your QB room, then bring in a starting QB to take over...got it. Now bring in another starting QB to the room.

The combination of QB acquisitions has to be one of the strangest in NFL history. Clear your QB room, then bring in a starting QB to take over...got it. Now bring in another starting QB to the room.

And I'm sure neither of them will be disgruntled if they don't get to play.

Fields will flourish under the new OC...Bears got fleeced...

Consider what Pittsburgh got in the Pickett trade: a 2024 third-round pick (No. 98 overall) and two 2025 seventh-round picks while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 2024 fourth-round pick (No. 120). The fact that the Steelers got considerably more for Pickett than the Bears did for Fields is nothing short of mind boggling.

Consider what Pittsburgh got in the Pickett trade: a 2024 third-round pick (No. 98 overall) and two 2025 seventh-round picks while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 2024 fourth-round pick (No. 120). The fact that the Steelers got considerably more for Pickett than the Bears did for Fields is nothing short of mind boggling.
There is nothing that makes me think Field can be a productive passer in the NFL. To date, his track record is brutal. Not Zach Wilson bad, but still pretty bad. Can this change? No idea.

Let's see. They used to have Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph, and now they have Russell Wilson and Justin Fields. They paid couch change for Wilson and got Fields for a sixth-round pick. Fields has better stats all the way around over Pickett, and is a year younger.

Terrible front office work, no doubt.
A clear upgrade of the QB tandem at bargain basement prices.

I don't understand the criticism's here.

I'll give you another stat.

Mike is a good coach but he is in a new situation.

Mike has been with the Steelers for 16 years. Big Ben has been with the Steelers for 18 years.

The reliability of a proven seasoned QB such as Ben is no longer there.

Mikes record without Ben is 19-20-1.

I think the Eagles got the better deal.

Will have to wait to see how the QB situation for the Steelers develops going forward.

In 2025 will the Steelers pick up Fields $25 million option contract. If not, then they will get the 2 incoming QB for 1 year and have to renegotiate new contracts or look for new QBs to bring in.

If it does not work out this year the "BOO Birds" will be out in force at Acrisure Stadium.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
There is nothing that makes me think Field can be a productive passer in the NFL. To date, his track record is brutal. Not Zach Wilson bad, but still pretty bad. Can this change? No idea.
I haven't watched him play much in the NFL, but his passing numbers the past 2 years aren't terrible. And his rushing numbers are really good.

I'd love that combo in a backup QB.

I haven't watched him play much in the NFL, but his passing numbers the past 2 years aren't terrible. And his rushing numbers are really good.

I'd love that combo in a backup QB.
And he did it with the Bears, a team with seemingly no offensive plan at all. They took a guy who runs and told him to stay in the pocket. They gave him DJ Moore and said that was all the weapons he needed. They drafted Roschon Johnson and then didn't use him. The Bears have been poorly run for years. Let's see if the Steelers are willing to play to the strengths of the QBs they've acquired.

Reactions: RUShea and RU-05
This all makes me wish the Eagles had waited a couple days and traded fir Fields instead of Pickett. A 6th rounder? Wow.
Speculation is that the Eagles made a better offer and they are the team mentioned in this article: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39747405/nfl-justin-fields-steelers-bears-trade-russell-wilson
The Bears had an additional offer with stronger draft capital from a team with an established starter, per a source, but chose to send Fields to Pittsburgh with the hope of putting the 25-year-old in a position to continue his development -- first as a backup to Wilson and eventually as a starter.

Mike has been with the Steelers for 16 years. Big Ben has been with the Steelers for 18 years.

Will have to wait to see how the QB situation for the Steelers develops going forward.

In 2025 will the Steelers pick up Fields $25 million option contract. If not, then they will get the 2 incoming QB for 1 year and have to renegotiate new contracts or look for new QBs to bring in.

If it does not work out this year the "BOO Birds" will be out in force at Acrisure Stadium.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Good post. Good points.

Actually, Tomlin has been with the Steelers for 17 years and Roethlisberger 19 years (Common mistake, you can't just subtract the first year from the last year -- think of someone who has been with a team for 10 years. You have year 1 through year 10, but you can't take 10-1).

By my count, Tomlinson has been 37-30 without Roethlisberger, and 33 of those games were when Roethlisberger was out hurt, so the Steelers were playing with a back up QB, in particular Charlie Batch (6), Dennis Dixon (3), Michael Vick (3), Byron Leftwich (1), Landry Jones (5), Mason Rudolph (8), and Devlin Hodges (6). (Those numbers don't tally precisely, but probably because Ben was hurt during the game. Not sure.) The point here is that he won with weak at best talent at QB.

The Eagles got the better deal for the Eagles (that is, they made a good trade), but the Steelers came out just fine. Yes, they are going to have to make a choice between Russell and Fields, both at the beginning and at the end of the season, but to me, you can't compare the Eagles' deal to the Steelers' deal. What you can compare is what the Steelers were looking at and what they ended up with. To me, Russell and Fields is a much more promising QB room than Pickett and Rudolph (although I've always liked Rudolph and hope he does well in Tennessee -- but he's 28 and has 3000 career yards passing).

If one of the QBs does well for the Steelers, they'll be happy to pick up the tab the following year. But if you want to see boo birds, watch Philly if Hurts goes down and Pickett doesn't come through!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Pittsburgh was clearing the decks, rather than trying to maximize return. They can decide on the $25M next year.

Good post. Good points.

Actually, Tomlin has been with the Steelers for 17 years and Roethlisberger 19 years (Common mistake, you can't just subtract the first year from the last year -- think of someone who has been with a team for 10 years. You have year 1 through year 10, but you can't take 10-1).

By my count, Tomlinson has been 37-30 without Roethlisberger, and 33 of those games were when Roethlisberger was out hurt, so the Steelers were playing with a back up QB, in particular Charlie Batch (6), Dennis Dixon (3), Michael Vick (3), Byron Leftwich (1), Landry Jones (5), Mason Rudolph (8), and Devlin Hodges (6). (Those numbers don't tally precisely, but probably because Ben was hurt during the game. Not sure.) The point here is that he won with weak at best talent at QB.

The Eagles got the better deal for the Eagles (that is, they made a good trade), but the Steelers came out just fine. Yes, they are going to have to make a choice between Russell and Fields, both at the beginning and at the end of the season, but to me, you can't compare the Eagles' deal to the Steelers' deal. What you can compare is what the Steelers were looking at and what they ended up with. To me, Russell and Fields is a much more promising QB room than Pickett and Rudolph (although I've always liked Rudolph and hope he does well in Tennessee -- but he's 28 and has 3000 career yards passing).

If one of the QBs does well for the Steelers, they'll be happy to pick up the tab the following year. But if you want to see boo birds, watch Philly if Hurts goes down and Pickett doesn't come through!

Big Ben was able to last 18 or 19 years with the Steelers because he was primarily a pocket passer. He was strong and could run but limited his scrambles to avoid injury.

Hurts on the other hand is a good passer but will run more often based on the fact that he got over 600 rushing yards last year (#2 RB yards). At 25 he cannot (IMO) continue to do that long term and avoid being hurt.
That is the reason the Eagles brought in Barkley. The Achilles heel for Philadelphia was an injured QB and with Pickett as the back up they have solved that problem.

I think you will be surprised at how well he will perform when needed.

A new start with a new team is what he needs and I do believe the Eagles got a good deal.

What are the chances that the Steelers will pick up Fields $25 million Option Year Contract in May.
If Wilson plays and Fields is only a back up. The Steelers will have to ponder that decision. If they do not then Fields will be a 1 year QB at Pittsburgh.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
anyone who thinks Tomlin is a good coach hasn't watched him coach. 5 yrs of 8-8 with more pro bowlers and easy conference schedule that Green Bay and Pats over same duration is criminal

One final comment.

If a Team is on the hook for paying a player $38 million in contract compensation, why would they be so eager to trade him and get so very little in return.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Fields has athleticism but is not capable of reading defenses. He doesn't have the mental acuity to be starting QB.

I believe they have to decide on 5th year option by this coming May 2.
More than likely rework the contract to a more Steelier friendly one , bumping up Fields pay and extending his contract a year before May 2nd comes around.

This remains to be seen. I think Firlda has improved over the years and can move the ball absolutely with his legs and has improved as a passer. How much more he can improve as a passer is the million $$ question.
A clear upgrade of the QB tandem at bargain basement prices.

I don't understand the criticism's here.
No citicism..just head scratching brining in two starting QBs.
Fields has athleticism but is not capable of reading defenses. He doesn't have the mental acuity to be starting QB.
Sound familiar?

anyone who thinks Tomlin is a good coach hasn't watched him coach. 5 yrs of 8-8 with more pro bowlers and easy conference schedule that Green Bay and Pats over same duration is criminal
It's easy to make a mistake, but now you're just lying. Tomlin has only had three 8-8 years in his whole career, and only one in the last ten years. In the same time period, Green Bay has had four losing seasons. The pro bowl differnce is 4.1 per year to 4.5 per year. And during that period, GB had Aaron Rodgers.

This isn't difficult. Tomlin has the third best record in all of football during his time as head coach. He has an SB ring and no losing seasons ever.

It's one thing to put him in the Hall of Fame; it's quite another to say he should be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT