ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phuket, Thailand.

scarlet_knight

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2007
Going for a long weekend with the wife in November. Looking for recommendations on places to stay, things to do. This board has always been helpful to supplement reading tripadvisor reviews.

Thanks in advance!

We originally stayed in Patong Beach, but we thought it was too crowded and, well, not too nice. We switched to the Hilton Arcadia resort in Karon Beach, which was way nicer. You can take a tuk tuk to Patong at night if you want a livelier night scene.

What a coincidence.

Just yesterday, I was just asking my hookers where they wanted to do our annual Fall vacation. A number of different exotic locales were suggested like Colombia and Hawaii. After some debate that devolved into a spirited game of naked Twister, I finally said Phuket, let's go to Thailand.

Last edited:
What a coincidence.

Just yesterday, I was just asking my hookers where they wanted to do our annual Fall vacation. A number of different exotic locales were suggested like Columbia and Hawaii. After some debate that devolved into a spirited game of naked Twister, I finally said Phuket, let's go to Thailand.

I hardly consider Morningside Heights or South Carolina exotic.

Reactions: mildone
Going for a long weekend with the wife in November. Looking for recommendations on places to stay, things to do. This board has always been helpful to supplement reading tripadvisor reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Phi Phi Islands ... and if you comedians didn't actually realize, 'ph' in the Thai language is pronounced as 'p' so it is pronounced poo-ket

Reactions: Caliknight
A long weekend? That's a pretty long flight. The resorts and especially those on an island off the coast are not the closest to the airport. A pretty long journey for only a few days.

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of time in the air for a long weekend.

We originally stayed in Patong Beach, but we thought it was too crowded and, well, not too nice. We switched to the Hilton Arcadia resort in Karon Beach, which was way nicer. You can take a tuk tuk to Patong at night if you want a livelier night scene.
----------
do they still have naked karaoke night on Tuesdays in Patong?

If people are just into being on beautiful beaches and isolation with out all the tourist crap try Phu Quoc island (Vietnam) in the Gulf of Thailand. The Vietnamese are starting to develop it and see it as a major tourist destination in the near future. Go now before it gets spoiled but stay away from it during Tet (late Jan., early Feb.) because it's overcrowded.

I believe if it is for a long weekend. Just find a bar at the airport before boarding your flight home. Why in the world are you traveling so far for a long weekend?

For sailboat cruisers, Christmas in Phuket is a huge tradition. Hundreds of sailing yachts from all over the world will gather in Nai Harn Bay and the festivities from Christmas Eve through New Year's are legendary.

Reactions: AshSaturday

Thanks in advance!

My wife and I spent a few days in Phuket a couple of years ago. The town sits on Pha Nang Bay. We spent a day kayaking, and snorkeling with an outfit called John Gray Sea canoe. We then stayed out for an overnight camping trip on one of the Hongs (large rock formations) in the bay. All of this was run by the same company. It was absolutely spectacular.

On our way to our campsite, our guides took the two of us to a small village where we had a meal in a tiny local restaurant run by one of his friends. It was the best Thai food I've ever had.

http://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/

We spent a little time in the town of Phuket, but found it super crowded, with tons of pushy venders, and only a handful of good restaurants. For us the real beauty was getting out on the water with the local guides.

If you're into the outdoors, I highly recommend this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElmiraExpress
One of my softball buddies who is single goes there every year for a few months. I have never asked him about it but the other players always snicker and make jokes about what he is doing during his trips there.

I'm guessing that whatever happens in Phuket stays in Phuket.

Reactions: RocktheRac
Stayed in Patong this past March for two weeks. Visit Ko Phi Phi, Similan Island, pet tigers at Tiger Kingdom, zip line with Flying Hanuman, Phang Nga Bay aka James Bond Island. The beaches and waters are absolutely perfect, such an amazing place. Patong's nightlife is an absolute debauchery but guaranteed it will be the time of your life. But this is coming from a single guy traveling with his buddies haha

Also, forgot to mention, don't buy any pre-planned tours or packages here in the states. Do it all when you're in Thailand because everything, and I mean everything, can be bargained down.

So a co-worker was limping around and moaning in pain today. Someone asked him "what is the capital of Thailand?" Then he yelled "BANGCOCK" and punched him in the balls.

... yeah that used to be a thing. Nowadays kids just give nut shots. Nostalgia....

So a co-worker was limping around and moaning in pain today. Someone asked him "what is the capital of Thailand?" Then he yelled "BANGCOCK" and punched him in the balls.

... yeah that used to be a thing. Nowadays kids just give nut shots. Nostalgia....

Seems like the appropriate response would be, What's the largest island in Thailand?

PHUKET!! (Misprounced)

Followed by rape.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT