ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Pohjala Rukkivein cellar series was a good rye wine. Westvleteren 12 always good too.

Went to Demented's 3rd anniversary party on Sunday, they had 4 different variants of Wrath, their Russian Imperial Stout. Tried all 4 with the Chocolate and Hazelnut aged in Bourbon Barrels being my favorite.

Reactions: Leonard23
Really into the making my own shandies lately.

Been drinking cheap lagers, Narranganset-PBR-Budweiser, with ice and a slice of lemon.

Real nice summertime drink. And a drastic change from the high ABV, more expensive IPA's I've been drinking for years now.

Really into the making my own shandies lately.

Been drinking cheap lagers, Narranganset-PBR-Budweiser, with ice and a slice of lemon.

Real nice summertime drink. And a drastic change from the high ABV, more expensive IPA's I've been drinking for years now.
I take a IPA vacation this time of year. Mostly Oktoberfest and other German styles plus Belgian beers. Had Duvel last week. Haven't had in over a year. Damn is that a great beer. Also enjoyed a St. Bernadus ABT 12 on the backstretch of Saratoga last week. One of my faves!

Reactions: wisr01
I take a IPA vacation this time of year. Mostly Oktoberfest and other German styles plus Belgian beers. Had Duvel last week. Haven't had in over a year. Damn is that a great beer. Also enjoyed a St. Bernadus ABT 12 on the backstretch of Saratoga last week. One of my faves!
Typically not into fall beers, though I am looking fwd to them this year. My beer tastes are in a state of flux.

Reactions: WhiteBus
+1 on the SB ABT 12 great beer but dangerous for me because it is double digit abv.

+1 on the SB ABT 12 great beer but dangerous for me because it is double digit abv.
Yes. Not an everyday beer but so good. The highest rated beer regularly available in the US. I was in Saratoga and had it as my first beer of the day. Didn't have another beer until the 4th race. If your are patient put a year aging on a big bottle. Terrific stuff.

Just had Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest. A colab with Wienstephan. I did not like years version with colab with Bruahaus Faust, which is rare with anything SN. My expectations were very high with this version. And OMG did it deliver! Highly recommend

Reactions: Leonard23
Just had Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest. A colab with Wienstephan. I did not like years version with colab with Bruahaus Faust, which is rare with anything SN. My expectations were very high with this version. And OMG did it deliver! Highly recommend
+1 - It is excellent and much better than last years version.

+1 - It is excellent and much better than last years version.
vVVzc_L2rGQv8zoPFJMWtiyyGv5Jfwin1DIplo9MqkKChw3S99EByiyiNbEcmSTkh43Zxpu0fGp0cm8nWoTTqx2Kw9cCWFk0rWZ2canvN4WY8Y3BZtpuAAeaKydeIwJc070Fzeel

Picked up some treeehouse brews. Had haze, sap and Julius last night. Great beers.
I was at a small brewery/gastropub near Petco Park in San Diego and struck up a convo with a guy wearing a Treehouse T-shirt. He was from Hawaii, but recently did a east coast brewery tour which included Treehouse. He actually preferred Trillium (Boston) to Treehouse. I’ve had Trillium and it was very good, haven’t had Treehouse though.

Anyway he said his favorite brewery and beer was by far Other Half in Brooklyn. I made him a bit jealous when I told him I lived near it... Never thought I’d make someone living in Hawaii jealous about living situations.

I was at a small brewery/gastropub near Petco Park in San Diego and struck up a convo with a guy wearing a Treehouse T-shirt. He was from Hawaii, but recently did a east coast brewery tour which included Treehouse. He actually preferred Trillium (Boston) to Treehouse. I’ve had Trillium and it was very good, haven’t had Treehouse though.

Anyway he said his favorite brewery and beer was by far Other Half in Brooklyn. I made him a bit jealous when I told him I lived near it... Never thought I’d make someone living in Hawaii jealous about living situations.
Love other half. Great to see them brewing more than just hazy neipas now more consistently it seems

Love other half. Great to see them brewing more than just hazy neipas now more consistently it seems
My barber shop is a few blocks away (they actually keep Other Half ob tap for customers). I decided to go one Saturday before noon and it was packed like I couldn’t believe. I liked how they had a couple versions of the same beer with a different hop or other ingredient mix. I always try to take advantage of tasting when that is an option.

They make one of the worlds best but I will put up a fresh, on tap Neshaminy Creek Brewing Highwater Hefe against anything I have ever had.
best beer I ever had was a fresh one.. its a tie.. some hefeweisen at a monastery.. not sure it was Germany or Belgium.. prolly on the border.. and the other was, oddly, a Heineken at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. I know.. Really? really.

best beer I ever had was a fresh one.. its a tie.. some hefeweisen at a monastery.. not sure it was Germany or Belgium.. prolly on the border.. and the other was, oddly, a Heineken at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. I know.. Really? really.
Certain styles are all about fresh. Close to where it is brewed. Do not disagree about a fresh Heinenken. The problem with Heineken it ages rapidly. Skunks quickly in that stupid green bottle. Very good fresh on tap or in a can.
Hefe's are the same. Get stale very quickly in a bottle.

Jopen Meesterstuk 2017 tasted like Sam Adam's Merry Maker.
Mikkeller Raspberry Quadrupel Bourbon BA was like a sweet red wine.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I am officially ready for some fall beers, although when it hits 90+ degrees this week again that may change.

Marzen lagers/Oktoberfest beers are fine in the summer, but pumpkin beers are undrinkable in the summer (and almost completely undrinkable anyway tbh).
I need it to be a bit cooler to drink them, I don’t want to forcebly fast forward into the colder months.

Pumpkin beers really jumped the shark. There used to be a few that were balanced and enjoyable, now most taste like awful desert drinks. I avoid them now.

Been disappointed I. The slow roll out of fall beers on draft at the bars I’ve been to over the last week or so. Perhaps it isn’t unusual, as this is the earliest I’ve been eager for the switch. I did see the 2018 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest at Trader Joe’s of all places. I hope it is better than the 2017, which I thought was mediocre at best.

Been disappointed I. The slow roll out of fall beers on draft at the bars I’ve been to over the last week or so. Perhaps it isn’t unusual, as this is the earliest I’ve been eager for the switch. I did see the 2018 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest at Trader Joe’s of all places. I hope it is better than the 2017, which I thought was mediocre at best.
2018 is WAY better just ask @WhiteBus

Do you own a store in Jersey or something? I thought Pennsylvania was only govt ABC.
Beer store in NE Philadelphia. That state sells all liquor and most wines. Beer distributers are private sector.

Reactions: Zak57
The style that is made or sent to the U.S. is a marzen style. Darker, more malty. However the Oktoberfest beers served in most of the tents in Munich during the Fest is a lighter, fresh wisen style. I much perfer the wiesn but love both styles. And this wasnt Sierra trying to be different. This beer was heavily influnced by its collaboration with Weihenstephan and is closer to the wiesn style.

Reactions: RUnTeX and wisr01
Kane brewing released a nice ipa last weekend call blue hotel which is really good. Also had some of their raspberry cloud cover (witbier) and vanilla bean morning bell.

The style that is made or sent to the U.S. is a marzen style. Darker, more malty. However the Oktoberfest beers served in most of the tents in Munich during the Fest is a lighter, fresh wisen style. I much perfer the wiesn but love both styles. And this wasnt Sierra trying to be different. This beer was heavily influnced by its collaboration with Weihenstephan and is closer to the wiesn style.
I could not have explained it better. I too like the lighter wiesn better but enjoy both a lot. The American versions of Oktoberfests to me are a little malty and sweet. I enjoy them but prefer the wiesn style. I think Sierra Nevada did a good job representing the wiesn/fest beer style.

Reactions: RUnTeX
We recently spent a week in San Diego-craft beer heaven, to my wife and kid's chagrin. It's ingrained in the culture. You can even drink at the San Diego Zoo while touring the exhibits!

I tried 21 different local brews during the week!

My standouts for the week were:

Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale. Such a great amber beer. So sad it's only distributed in CA.

Ballast Point Aloha Sculpin. Big fan of the Grapefruit Sculpin. This is similar, but pineapple and mango make it much less bitter. Had this fresh on tap at the Padres game. This was a very refreshing beer on a hot day.

Lattitude 33 Blood Orange IPA. Another one not available locally. This was my poolside beer of choice for the week. Lots of orange flavor, and not too bitter. I'm not big on IPAs during the summer, but this one was so tasty, I bought a couple of 6 packs and kept it on hand for the week.

Modern Times Fruitlands. I'm not a big fan of Goses. But this one is fantastic. Not as sour as most, more like a cherry shandy with a touch of salt (it's actually guava and passionfruit).

As a side note, my wife does not drink, and my two teens were with us, so no brewery tours. Would have loved to visit Stone and Ballast Point. We did go to the Karl Strauss brewpub, where I had a flight of a few of their IPAs and dark beers. Unlike the Red Trolley, I wasn't impressed. We also went to Pizza Port, which is a small chain of pizza brewpubs, and I had several of their beers, which were all very good. The standout was the Flyin' Hawaiian Hefeweizen.

Reactions: RU_Planning
So what you’re telling us is the 2018 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest isn’t a Marzen?

Nm, posted before I read more.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT