ADVERTISEMENT

OT Posts...Arghhh...

The Topics we cannot discuss on OT on the football board are Trump, BLM, Trans anything, Bidens mental decline, and Trump. LOL!
A lot more than that. I've had threads shut down on all kinds of science topics, including cancer treatments, chemistry breakthroughs, avian flu, nuclear reactor risks, and, of course, coronaviruses. Strangely, though, people (like you and others) are allowed to put political content in their sig lines - haven't quite figured out why that's ok.

Back in about 2010 I was headed to Albany for a conference and rolled up on this exact same scenario on the NY Thruway. The then-upside down Nissan SUV was filled with a family of 6. I happened to be wearing a first aid squad t-shirt and somehow got appointed scene commander when the local services arrived. Ordered up a helicopter and had the troopers shut down the highway for an LZ. Missed my dinner engagement. But yeah, this sort of thing happens not too infrequently.
Wow, didn't you also get involved in rescuring some folks after an accident at the start of the Orlando bowl cannonball run? It's strange - somehow I've never been in or seen an accident or come across one before emergency personnel were there (not counting a couple of very minor fender benders at low speed in town, when people behind me forgot to stop and hit my rear bumper, lol). Given your training, it's probably better that you've come across some...

A lot more than that. I've had threads shut down on all kinds of science topics, including cancer treatments, chemistry breakthroughs, avian flu, nuclear reactor risks, and, of course, coronaviruses. Strangely, though, people (like you and others) are allowed to put political content in their sig lines - haven't quite figured out why that's ok.
👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽

OT: How do you explain this vaulting action?

The airborne car was equipped with a yoke instead of a steering wheel. That caused entirely predictable issues with hand placement in tight turns.

They tried to "fix" the hand placement issue by adding software for a complicated drive-by-wire variable steering ratio system.

Basically, that photo illustrates what happens when we try to reinvent the wheel.

I started a thread about the health benefits of inhaling others farts (and linked a serious medical article about it). That got deleted.

I was aghast. (Photo proving how aghast I was --> 😱).

There I was, doing my much loved fellow Rivals RUFB forum-goers a solid with a valuable public safety announcement about how we could all bolster our immune systems and WHAM! They tore down the thread before it could even get started.

I mean, I had turned being stuck with someone farting into lemonade and it got wiped from existence.

That really stunk.

Wow, didn't you also get involved in rescuring some folks after an accident at the start of the Orlando bowl cannonball run? It's strange - somehow I've never been in or seen an accident or come across one before emergency personnel were there (not counting a couple of very minor fender benders at low speed in town, when people behind me forgot to stop and hit my rear bumper, lol). Given your training, it's probably better that you've come across some...
Yep - middle of the night, somewhere in MD. It was pouring rain and we (myself, the Artist Formerly Known as DTN and a guy we called Young Jeff) came on a fresh scene where Dad / Mom / little daughter had hit a car that was *parked* in the center lane of 95 - the driver was asleep. Little girl had signs of internal bleeding, so the matter was referred to expedited ALS.

As an EMT with nothing but a basic trauma bag in the trunk, there's not a lot of real material help I can offer. Generally speaking, my role in a situation like this is to assess patients and determine what the needs are - BLS, ALS, medevac, etc., pass the patient assessment info onto the local responders and then be on my way.

I ran across a fresh scene on the NJTP one afternoon, where a limo bound for AC had bounced off the K-rail in the car lanes between 11 and 12. Everybody was out walking and talking and a rig from Shark River Hills (no idea what they were doing on the TP in Woodbridge) had rolled up right behind me. When the Carteret rig arrived they started assessing for transport and determined that the rear seat passenger was going to the hospital. I just happened to be standing next to the limo with the Shark River guys, who I knew from a deployment to the big Bound Brook flood earlier that year. I happened to notice that the right rear window frame was bent outward - the passenger had obviously hit it with his head.

We went back to the guy and started to reassess and noted that he was becoming combative - a sure sign of a closed-head trauma with swelling onset. Told the Carteret crew to fly the guy to RWJNB, ASAP.

Turned out he didn't make it. A really, really good example of how potentially fatal injuries can be non-obvious upon initial assessment.

I wonder if there's ever been a year where this thread, more or less, wasn't started at some point during the off-season? I seem to recall one every year.

This might be the best ever. Although maybe that's just recency bias.

Mods...can we create a forum for Off Topic Rutgers Football conversations? I just went on the Football forum and 24 of the first 25 post are OT...geesh...:Hammer Nails:
Thanks for the reminder that we’re due for another analysis of the JFK assassination

I wonder if there's ever been a year where this thread, more or less, wasn't started at some point during the off-season? I seem to recall one every year.

Usually there's more than one. And the irony is that those who start them never really add content to the board.

Reactions: mildone
It really would make infinitely more sense to start or bump a football thread or two instead of making an OT about too many OTs.

Or go premium.

This might be the best ever. Although maybe that's just recency bias.
Agree with the best ever comment, even learned something new about head trauma assessment at an accident scene. But with all due respect, I'm still trying to unsee your fart post.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Now that Spring Ball is starting there will be more articles coming out of camp that the Board can react to. It always takes care of itself.

OT: RIP blueoyster
The Blue Oyster is gone???
Dah oyster GIF

OT: How do you explain this vaulting action?

It's quite simple. Physics! What I see is the car going faster than the slower, rolling tire. As the SUV reaches the tire, the lowest part of the bumper allows the tire to wedge underneath. As it does, the momentum (mass x velocity) plus the "bite" of the bumper on the tire pushes the car upward, in a sense like climbing a ramp. Climbing a ramp would launch the car but the compression and resulting rebound of the tire (as it is appropriately rolling dude to centrifugal forcess) gives it some extra oomph/lift. As the tire goes under and is slightly left of the midline of the vehicle, the imbalance cause the car not only launch, but promotes rotational forces causing it to flip. Had it run over it directly midline, it would have done a perfect Dukes of Hazard jump and landed like Bo and Luke and escaped with much less harm to the vehicle. The kicker is the offending tire then slams back into the car once the vehicle comes to rest. Love these OT threads complaining about other OT stuff! Physics!!!

Reactions: RU848789 and RutHut
It's quite simple. Physics! What I see is the car going faster than the slower, rolling tire. As the SUV reaches the tire, the lowest part of the bumper allows the tire to wedge underneath. As it does, the momentum (mass x velocity) plus the "bite" of the bumper on the tire pushes the car upward, in a sense like climbing a ramp. Climbing a ramp would launch the car but the compression and resulting rebound of the tire (as it is appropriately rolling dude to centrifugal forcess) gives it some extra oomph/lift. As the tire goes under and is slightly left of the midline of the vehicle, the imbalance cause the car not only launch, but promotes rotational forces causing it to flip. Had it run over it directly midline, it would have done a perfect Dukes of Hazard jump and landed like Bo and Luke and escaped with much less harm to the vehicle. The kicker is the offending tire then slams back into the car once the vehicle comes to rest. Love these OT threads complaining about other OT stuff! Physics!!!
Very Good! Full credit.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Anybody else have a personal story about being in a high speed accident?

Usually there's more than one. And the irony is that those who start them never really add content to the board.

I'm still waiting for an answer from OP on my earlier post asking what he wants to discuss.
I might start an on-topic thread and tag the OP for his input.

I'm still waiting for an answer from OP on my earlier post asking what he wants to discuss.
I might start an on-topic thread and tag the OP for his input.
Funny thing is, Tango unleashed an FB post barrage today ...and OP stopped by exactly none of those posts.

Reactions: Jm0513 and RU4Real
Very Good! Full credit.
Sorry, full credit isn't possible on this one, since we simply can't know whether the car bumper "rode up" on the rapidly spinning tire in the vertical position or if the tire slid under the bumper close to horizontally...and the picture of the tire just before it disappears from view shows the tire tilted significantly to the right, not vertical. Leaves the door open for either possibility IMO.

TTDEPry.png

Anyone know what LoBro is going for at ShopRite this week?

Really? You've missed 25 years of me doing this?

In the beginning it was half a joke. After that, it was still half a joke - if for no other reason than it would never happen because getting a project like that done in NJ is just crazy talk.

But the general idea is that the route would follow George St. from Cook / Douglas through CAC, then cross the river alongside the existing Rt 18 bridge, turn left to the stadium, then right toward Busch, then along Ave E to Livingston. Return route is the reverse.

No more bus traffic, no more bus fumes, no more waiting for the bus, etc. It's a fundamentally great idea that's completely blocked by the usual suspects - funding, political headwinds, etc.
It should go around the circle on Livingston then return on the same 'track'. That way it would only cost half to just build one 'track'.

Wait a minute.................................are football posts allowed on this board?
The only football posts allowed on this board during the offseason are those made by RutgersAl with the intent on getting internet famous again with each post making "Message Board Genius's". Legitimate football discussion by posters will resume normal activity the week of the Spring Game

Wait a minute.................................are football posts allowed on this board?
Yes but you'll need dispensation.
It IS Lent after all.
Let's get the Pope on the line................
Everybody is good. Except for Spanky. Sorry dude, football threads for you will be resurrected soon. Stand by.😂😂

Everybody is good. Except for Spanky. Sorry dude, football threads for you will be resurrected soon. Stand by.😂😂

But it's still perfectly okay for me to post an "OT: RIP ....." thread for some 86 year old minor character actor who no one ever heard of, right?

• Haha
Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
Sorry, full credit isn't possible on this one, since we simply can't know whether the car bumper "rode up" on the rapidly spinning tire in the vertical position or if the tire slid under the bumper close to horizontally...and the picture of the tire just before it disappears from view shows the tire tilted significantly to the right, not vertical. Leaves the door open for either possibility IMO.

TTDEPry.png
Lol. As soon as the vehicle is rapidly vaulted upwards, the totally upright tire is visible. I get why you would think this unlikely since an upright tire has a higher center of gravity (harder to get under) and the perspective from a moving vehicle messes with the perception of the actual energy in the spinning tire. Intuitively one might think that a rapidly moving car can pull up on a car carrier that is moving slightly slower; but that is not the case. Once those front tires hit the car carrier and friction is engaged, the spinning energy must be conserved, and the car would be vaulted forward at nearly twice the speed (assuming no heat friction losses). Think of how a pitching machine works, only the tire is much more massive than the wheels used in those machines. The front frame of the Kia only needed to be punched enough so it was raised above the center of gravity of the tire for it to vault over.

Now, for a tire with 70 mph forward momentum to fall to its side and then neatly exit under the vehicle upright goes against Occum's Razor.

It should go around the circle on Livingston then return on the same 'track'. That way it would only cost half to just build one 'track'.

The only problem with that being you could only run one at a time.

Build the 2 tracks alongside each other with crossover switches in key spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT