ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. To a Big East legend

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Former Georgetown AD and one of the founding fathers of the BIg East, Frank Rienzo passed away this afternoon. I post this because he was also my uncle. He started out as a legendary HS teack coach in NYC and later became track coach at Georgetown before becoming AD there. He hired John Thompson as well as Frank Gagliano. Ironically “gags” was coaching at RU when he stole him away after my sophomore year. I was devastated since I had just finished a great sophomore year running at RU. How could my own uncle do this to me!?!? He told me he was the best coach and RU was vastly underpaying him. He went onto incredible success at Georgetown too so he made the right call

Being at RU in the 80s was great for me though as my uncle always set up my roommates and I with great seats for every Big East tourney at the garden. He even got us tickets for the 1985 final four. One of the biggest upsets in sports history and one of my most fun weekends while at RU. He helped make the Big East what it was and even appeared on the 30 for 30 they did on the BE.

He was ready to go but he will be missed. Truly one of the great all time ADs

My deepest sympathies. As a long time fan of the Big East when it was the legendary Big East, I always heard of your uncle and his accomplishments.

I knew a few track guys back then.. one even transferred largely because of his leaving. Another changed sports.

RIP

Former Georgetown AD and one of the founding fathers of the BIg East, Frank Rienzo passed away this afternoon. I post this because he was also my uncle. He started out as a legendary HS teack coach in NYC and later became track coach at Georgetown before becoming AD there. He hired John Thompson as well as Frank Gagliano. Ironically “gags” was coaching at RU when he stole him away after my sophomore year. I was devastated since I had just finished a great sophomore year running at RU. How could my own uncle do this to me!?!? He told me he was the best coach and RU was vastly underpaying him. He went onto incredible success at Georgetown too so he made the right call

Being at RU in the 80s was great for me though as my uncle always set up my roommates and I with great seats for every Big East tourney at the garden. He even got us tickets for the 1985 final four. One of the biggest upsets in sports history and one of my most fun weekends while at RU. He helped make the Big East what it was and even appeared on the 30 for 30 they did on the BE.

Nice post and sorry for your loss.
In 1985, I am sure you were pulling for Georgetown right?
I miss BIG East basketball .

Nice post and sorry for your loss.
In 1985, I am sure you were pulling for Georgetown right?
I miss BIG East basketball .

I was a big G-town fan of course. I don’t know if we will ever see college basketball like that again. The Big East in the mid 80s was a lot of fun. Going to the BE tourneys for me were like family reunions too. 1985 I must have had at least 30 aunts, uncles and cousins at the final game

Reinzo was one of the greats. I went to RU, but grew up near SJU, so always rooted for them in BB. Great times. Curious, are you related to the Nolls from Denville. I went to MC.

Sorry for your loss. Took a long time for me to forgive your uncle for stealing Gags. To your uncles credit he knew greatness when he saw it.

Not only am I related, but I am one. I also went to MC class of 81. So I’m assuming we must know each other
Hah, thought that could be the case. If you remember Phil, good friend of Damien's, that's me :)

I would like to give props to all the Big East schools for doing a video tribute before their opening games last week. Also had the pleasure of meeting 2 legends at my uncles funeral, John Thompson and Patrick Ewing who brought the entire Georgetown team to the funeral. There was also a lot of G-town basketball alumni at the funeral.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT