ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rain

That little runt doesnt get fed so worried about that. Mom brought big fish back the other day and he didnt get any despite holding his mouth open...heartbreaking

They caught a few fish and the runt got a good feeding yesterday, and a good feeding today so I think it is going to be okay after all. Its sibling still kicks its butt and it cowers when the adult first arrives with food, but there is enough to go around and the runt might get big enough to not get attacked pretty soon.
They both are getting their share of the sushi. And they both seem to be doing well.

Everyone ready for the possibility of a bit of snow on Thursday? Likely to be mostly/all rain for the area but April snow is not unheard of around here and the medium range models have trended colder and whiter (especially well NW of 95). Also, every April snowstorm we've ever had looked like mostly rain 5 days out. And this could be a major snowstorm for interior NY/ New England. Last chance...

Everyone ready for the possibility of a bit of snow on Thursday? Likely to be mostly/all rain for the area but April snow is not unheard of around here and the medium range models have trended colder and whiter (especially well NW of 95). Also, every April snowstorm we've ever had looked like mostly rain 5 days out. And this could be a major snowstorm for interior NY/ New England. Last chance...
Stop. Get out and play Frisbee golf Thursday, I'll be on my bike.

Reactions: Sweet Peas Corner
Raining (again) until Thursday. Spring is really overrated.

Brutal!!! Can we get some good spring weather

nj423.png

Reactions: knightfan7
I can't the remember the last spring that I enjoyed. It's one terrible one after another.
I'll take the spring weather starting Sunday!

Scroll right to see more
ConditionsComfortPrecipitationSun
Day TemperatureWeatherFeels LikeWind HumidityChanceAmountUVSunriseSunset
Sun
Apr 7
wt-6.svg
59 / 39 °FMostly cloudy.56 °F8 mph39%4%-3 (Moderate)6:34 am7:31 pm
Mon
Apr 8
wt-4.svg
65 / 36 °FAfternoon clouds.64 °F8 mph32%22%0.01"3 (Moderate)6:32 am7:32 pm
Tue
Apr 9
wt-6.svg
73 / 48 °FMostly cloudy.77 °F11 mph39%22%0.02"3 (Moderate)6:31 am7:33 pm
Wed
Apr 10
wt-6.svg
68 / 52 °FMostly cloudy.67 °F5 mph39%6%-3 (Moderate)6:29 am7:34 pm
Thu
Apr 11
wt-19.svg
67 / 53 °FShowery. Overcast.66 °F9 mph97%76%1.02"3 (Moderate)6:28 am7:35 pm
Fri
Apr 12
wt-33.svg
66 / 54 °FShowers late. Breaks of sun late.65 °F10 mph78%54%0.10"3 (Moderate)6:26 am7:36 pm
Sat
Apr 13
wt-18.svg
59 / 49 °FDrizzle. Overcast.55 °F14 mph50%54%0.05"3 (Moderate)6:25 am7:37 pm
Sun
Apr 14
wt-18.svg
53 / 44 °FSprinkles late. Increasing cloudiness.49 °F13 mph52%44%0.01"3 (Moderate)6:23 am7:38 pm
Mon
Apr 15
wt-1.svg
59 / 43 °FSunny.57 °F8 mph32%5%-5 (Moderate)6:22 am7:39 pm
Tue
Apr 16
wt-2.svg
65 / 49 °FScattered clouds.65 °F9 mph

ProfilesEngineServlet

Reactions: Ronnie_B
I can't the remember the last spring that I enjoyed. It's one terrible one after another.
It’s overrated, seems like a few nice days mixed in with about 30 damp chilly days. Hopefully next week is better like it’s supposed to be

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Last year’s was really nice
You're probably right, I mostly base my take on springs in how much it interferes with my mountain biking and camping, this spring (and winter) it's been terrible, I've ridden the trails since last Thanksgiving just a handful of times, and this spring the same story.

It's bad etiquette to ride trails when they're muddy reason being it damages the trails. And with rains like this you still have to wait a number of days for them to get dry.

You're probably right, I mostly base my take on springs in how much it interferes with my mountain biking and camping, this spring (and winter) it's been terrible, I've ridden the trails since last Thanksgiving just a handful of times, and this spring the same story.

It's bad etiquette to ride trails when they're muddy reason being it damages the trails. And with rains like this you still have to wait a number of days for them to get dry.
That’s why last year was so nice here in jersey, I registered less than a half an inch of rain for all of May. Plus that heat wave in April.

poor eaglets...mom has been on them basically the last 12 hours..hopefully there is a break in the rain or dad comes to deliver some more goodies

Reactions: Ridge 22
After reading this thread, I have concluded it should be renamed/repurposed for the eagle cam. Now that I have seen it, I can't stop following it and pulling for the baby runt.

Reactions: bac2therac
After reading this thread, I have concluded it should be renamed/repurposed for the eagle cam. Now that I have seen it, I can't stop following it and pulling for the baby runt.

Definitely

And the runt is making such a comeback

Going to be tough to fish today with high and flowing waters but maybe a squirrel on the menu

Didnt take long for Momma to come back after the huge wind gusts kicked up
We had gusts as high as 47mph here. Not bad comsidering up to 60 was projected. Only minor tidal flooding.

The sea was angry yesterday, my friends, angry like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.

another feeding around an hour ago. little guy didnt get any until the end. really hard to watch, but looks like he ultimately did ok

Blowin' and a snowin' up top here above Boone NC today. Thru tomorrow the forecast is calling for up to 6". Don't see that happening based on a dusting so far....

Definitely

And the runt is making such a comeback

Going to be tough to fish today with high and flowing waters but maybe a squirrel on the menu
Over the years the Duke nest has had several turtles, a cat, and even a red tailed hawk (the last one was amazing… the dumb hawk flew right into the nest where the eagle proceeded to kill it on camera .. looked like a NY subway 🤔😉).

Reactions: bac2therac
The smaller one is becoming more self sufficient at eating its food. That is going to be a big survival skill when he goes off on his own. The bigger one almost exclusively relies on the mother feeding it.

I’ve been watching the Duke nest for years and the runt(s) usually survive. The hatchlings grow incredibly fast. It only takes 3 days difference in hatching time for a chick to outgrow its sibling(s) to the point where one is “the runt.” By the time they fledge in late June/early July they are actually larger/heavier than the adults. I understand this is because the chicks feather shafts actually contain a small amount of blood that eventually goes away.

A few other Eagle facts: Female eagles are typically larger than the males, mortality rate for all eagles is pretty high in the first year, banded eagles get a silver federal band AND a green NJ band (each state has a different color scheme), there are over 150 active Eagle nests in NJ most years.

Duke Eagle defends nest from red tailed hawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OPsUXdOgGo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT