ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rank The Five Boroughs According To Your Own Criteria

that was a tough call. I like Bronx Science better especially for the Sciences, but Lehman is killing it. The Humanities at Lehman are the best in the Country.
What about the one on the Westside and the other one in Queens?

I cannot for the life of me remember either of their names. LOL

Last edited:
Marlboro and any town west of 35 (in Monmouth County) is NOT the Shore. Especially one with Rte. 9 going thru it. I'll give you some of Wall. You visited like everybody else, summer house or not.

Hey now.. We Marlboro residents know all the back roads to the shore, can completely avoid the Garden State Parkway south of Raritan Bay at all costs during the summer, and most have a designated favorite beach spot or two with free parking, so if you call us bennies there's going to be a problem here lol.

I do, however, tell people that I grew up close to the shore, not at it. I'd have a better argument when living in Brighton Beach as a kid, where being three blocks away from the boardwalk/beach I was definitely at the shore.

Reactions: redking and Zak57
Hey now.. We Marlboro residents know all the back roads to the shore, can completely avoid the Garden State Parkway south of Raritan Bay at all costs during the summer, and most have a designated favorite beach spot or two with free parking, so if you call us bennies there's going to be a problem here lol.

I do, however, tell people that * I grew up close to the shore, not at it. I'd have a better argument when living in Brighton Beach as a kid, where being three blocks away from the boardwalk/beach I was definitely at the shore.
Yes you were.

Marlboro, regardless of your route or how long (or short) it took you...not so much. Sorry, thanks for playing. LOL

* And while you're at it, tell your fellow Mustang, @NotInRHouse to say the same thing. :)

Last edited:
Yes you were.

Marlboro, regardless of your route or how long (or short) it took you...not so much. Sorry, thanks for playing. LOL

* And while you're at it, tell your fellow Mustang, @NotInRHouse to say the same thing. :)

I know you're not suggesting that Western MonCo folks are Bennies. I know you wouldn't do that. Because I know that YOU know that we're the ones who come and rescue your dumb asses when your shit starts to float away.

I would prefer the Borough of Sayreville where I spent the first 23 years of my life, but I'm now in the Borough of Staten Island for the last 18.
I've had stops in Perth Amboy, Carteret, South Amboy, Piscataway, East Windsor and Woodbridge in between. I would be very happy if Staten Island was traded to New Jersey. Try to imagine if all your pothole repairs had to be scheduled by someone in /New Brunswick/Trenton. Or go to New Brunswick/Trenton to obtain a Marriage License. Both of which must be done in Manhattan in NYC.

I would be very happy if Staten Island was traded to New Jersey.

Pass.

When I was growing up in Sayreville our two favorite pastimes were giving guys from SI the wrong directions to Hunka Bunka and plotting to blow up that stupid bridge.

I know you're not suggesting that Western MonCo folks are Bennies. I know you wouldn't do that. Because I know that YOU know that we're the ones who come and rescue your dumb asses when your shit starts to float away.

I mean, Allentown and Upper Freehold are basically Hamilton.

All I'm saying is Western Monmouth is not the Shore as one of our fellow posters has claimed.

The same guy who mentioned friends were buying a house down the Shore in....Howell. LOL

All I'm saying is Western Monmouth is not the Shore as one of our fellow posters has claimed.

The same guy who mentioned friends were buying a house down the Shore in....Howell. LOL

I believe that WM folks really have the best of both worlds. We're out of the Bennie firing line, for the most part. We know where to go along the shore to avoid the idiots. We know when to go. We know how to get there. You're more likely to find us on a boat than on a beach. It's good stuff.

Reactions: Zak57 and RUsSKii
1. Brooklyn - Best up and coming food spots and best parties these days by far. Bar scene becoming on par with Manhattan. Also, best pizza and prospect park is a huge plus.

2. Manhattan - Still a ton to do but it's slowly becoming adult Disney land for rich foreign people. Central Park is great and there are plenty of good spots to hang out/party south of 23rd.

3. Bronx/Queens - These are kinda tied. I don't like Queens all that much but Astoria is a nice neighborhood with a ton to do. Bronx has some great spots here and there but they are scattered. The have some excellent parties but they tend to have a locals only type of vibe unlike Brooklyn.

Staten Island - just...nah.

Pass.

When I was growing up in Sayreville our two favorite pastimes were giving guys from SI the wrong directions to Hunka Bunka and plotting to blow up that stupid bridge.
HaHa. When I was growing up in Sayreville there was no Hunka Bunka and the clay pits across from the HS were in full operation.

Ranked in order of how many times I've been there in the past 5 years, other than just passing through. I figure this is a good criterion, as the boroughs that I go to more often probably have more to offer me.

1. Manhattan
2. Bronx
3. Queens
4 tie. Staten Island
4 tie. Brooklyn

Marlboro/Old Bridge my whole life. Not the shore but not even close to being a Bennie. Incredibly incorrect whoever stated that. Rte 18 before the traffic lights is within 20 mins of all the best places. Old Bridge technically has the first beach in New Jersey. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: RUsSKii
1) Manhattan. C'mon it is "The City."
2) Brooklyn: epicenter of indie rock, great restaurants, Prospect Park, etc.
3) Queens/Bronx/Staten Island: tie - pros and cons for each, but nowhere near as good, overall as the first two.

1. Brooklyn-Do the Right Thing
2. Queens-Coming to America
3. Staten Island- Saturday Night Fever
4. Bronx-Fort Apache
5. Manhattan-Muppets Take Manhattan

Staten Island with Saturday Night Fever??? Here's the problem:

Saturday Night Fever was about a Brooklyn kid, living with a Brooklyn family, working in Brooklyn, who hung out with his Brooklyn friends at a Brooklyn disco. The only thing remotely "Staten Island" about the movie was the Verrazano Bridge but, even when talking about its facts with Stephanie Mangano the one morning after the club, they were still on the Brooklyn side of the bridge.

The "BENNY" thing is so stupid. I grew up in Central Jersey, 35 minutes from Asbury, Belmar, and Point, spending many weekend days and nights there growing up with my family and then with my boys. Moved to Hudson County 2 years after I graduated Rutgers and then proceeded to get "summer houses" for the next 10 years or so. Does that make me a "BENNY"?? The people who owned those homes had NO problem taking the 100's of thousands of $$$(over the course of that time) from us every April or so, that's for sure, and neither did all the businesses we poured our $$$ into but, hey, this Mercer County guy, I guess, is a "BENNY" because he moved to Hudson County??

Staten Island with Saturday Night Fever??? Here's the problem:

Saturday Night Fever was about a Brooklyn kid, living with a Brooklyn family, working in Brooklyn, who hung out with his Brooklyn friends at a Brooklyn disco. The only thing remotely "Staten Island" about the movie was the Verrazano Bridge but, even when talking about its facts with Stephanie Mangano the one morning after the club, they were still on the Brooklyn side of the bridge.

One plot device in the film's narrative is the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge on which the friends ritually stop to clown around. The bridge has special significance for Tony as a symbol of escape to a better life on the other side—in more suburban Staten Island.

One plot device in the film's narrative is the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge on which the friends ritually stop to clown around. The bridge has special significance for Tony as a symbol of escape to a better life on the other side—in more suburban Staten Island.

Kinda gotta disagree because in the sequel, "Stayin' Alive," his "better life" was found across a bridge, however, to Manhattan. I get where you're coming from but this is a "Brooklyn" movie through-and-through.

The "BENNY" thing is so stupid. I grew up in Central Jersey, 35 minutes from Asbury, Belmar, and Point, spending many weekend days and nights there growing up with my family and then with my boys. Moved to Hudson County 2 years after I graduated Rutgers and then proceeded to get "summer houses" for the next 10 years or so. Does that make me a "BENNY"?? The people who owned those homes had NO problem taking the 100's of thousands of $$$(over the course of that time) from us every April or so, that's for sure, and neither did all the businesses we poured our $$$ into but, hey, this Mercer County guy, I guess, is a "BENNY" because he moved to Hudson County??
Yes. Then and now. I don't make the rules nor do I enforce them. But it is what it is.

Thanks for visiting and the scratch.

They are some (even in this day and age) in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst who might disagree with you.

1. Manhattan-The face of the city
2. Brooklyn-The right hand
3. Bronx-The left armpit
4. Queens- The right armpit
5.Staten Island- The anal port of NYC (asshole) << only good for underage drinking and skanks

1. Manhattan
2. Queens; family is from Queens, so I have always enjoyed the borough
3. Brooklyn; eclectic borough
4. Bronx; mainly due to my fondness of attending Yankees games, specifically the old stadium
5. Staten Island; not that I dislike SI, but it is last by default for me. Just nothing of note to me

1. Manhattan---Why did the Stage deli have to close???
2. Brooklyn---Went there to visit the grandparents all the time as a kid.....couldn't comprehend all the changes when I went there a lot for work as an adult.
3. Bronx---went to visit the other set of grandparents...has the Zoo, plus Fordham U and Manhattan College, where I broadcast games involving RU
4. Queens---melting pot, but has demerits for St. John's.
5. Staten Island--passageway between the Goethals and Verrazano, period.

Staten Island(and a few sections of Queens and Brooklyn) are the only places fit for human beings. The rest should just be used as giant prisons.

that was a tough call. I like Bronx Science better especially for the Sciences, but Lehman is killing it. The Humanities at Lehman are the best in the Country.
Lehman has had some pretty big issues lately, most due to the lift of the student cell phone ban. Now that school is something like 4,000 students, so maybe the Humanities is just a piece. Bronx Science doesn't have those types of issues.

1. Manhattan...well...because it's the city that never sleeps and it's awesome and it was the borough of my twenties.
2. Queens....because it's the borough of my childhood
3. I honestly don't care about the rest of them. SI has nothing. Not a Yankees fan so the Bronx is just a gateway to Northern NY and Brooklyn is the home of the parking lot known as the Belt Parkway on my way to Long Island to visit my mother.

Okay now for my "real" list lol:

1) Manhattan - the world's playground for kids 18 to 90 years old; so much to do and so little time to do it all!
2) Queens - dad's from Astoria!
3) Da' Boogie Down - many a great day and/or night in the area of 161st and River
4) Brooklyn - where it at?
5) Staten Island - the "drive-through" borough

1. Manhattan...well...because it's the city that never sleeps and it's awesome and it was the borough of my twenties.
2. Queens....because it's the borough of my childhood
3. I honestly don't care about the rest of them. SI has nothing. Not a Yankees fan so the Bronx is just a gateway to Northern NY and Brooklyn is the home of the parking lot known as the Belt Parkway on my way to Long Island to visit my mother.
So as an early-childhood resident of Queens, you were not only born with a tiara in your hair, you were born to be The Queen Of Knights. This plot-line has legs...

In short, yes.

Foremost because you live in Hudson County.

Secondarily because you're originally from Mercer County, which everyone knows is in Pennsylvania.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT