ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Rocky Turns 40 Today (Nov. 21)

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Yo Adriannnn!!!!
Hard to believe it is that old. Released on Nov. 21, 1976.
I recall as an 8-10 year old kid one of my friend's older brothers idolizing Rocky/Sylvester Stallone.
I think I have watched Rocky over 30 or 40 times.

Retrospective by Adrian herself:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-...r-stallone-and-creating-adrian-171233105.html

I cannot tell you how the gods put together that moment in time. Rocky was brilliant on the page. We had a great director, and we were blessed by not having any money, because it gave us permission to be creative. We relied on each other as acting partners, as a true ensemble, very much inspired by Burgess Meredith [who played trainer Mickey Goldmill]. I was a very shy woman, so I understood that girl. And I understood that the greatest thing in the world for myself, and for a woman like that, was to have some man appreciate her. That, boy, that would be everything. Sylvester wrote Adrian to truly be his partner: a woman he looked to for guidance about right and wrong. And people become very beautiful when they’re loved.

I can still remember my 14-year old self watching that movie in the theater with my family and not understanding the ending. "Who won? I sheepishly asked." Maybe this is the year I finally get that question answered. j/k

Reactions: Knight Shift
Great movie! Just proves that you don't need tons of money to make an unforgetable flick!!
Go down to Pat's Steaks in South Philly and see this plaque in the sidewalk.

PatsSteak.jpg

It really was a great movie. Just wish Seallone hadn't gotten greedy and made all those stupid sequels.

It really was a great movie. Just wish Seallone hadn't gotten greedy and made all those stupid sequels.
Rocky II was good. Rocky III with Mr. T not so much. Rocky IV was better than Rocky III, but not so great. I liked Rocky V the best of the sequels. Rocky Balboa was not good. Creed was OK.

My Ranking
Rocky, Rocky V, Rocky II, Rocky IV, Creed, Rocky III, Rocky Balboa

EDIT-had to change my second position from IV to V, as I had two IV's.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree!!!
My Rankings

Rocky
Rocky III (Clubber Lang a great movie villian)
Creed
Rocky IV (just for James Brown)
Rocky II
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V (his kid almost single handedly destroyed that movie)

Rocky II was good. Rocky III with Mr. T not so much. Rocky IV was better than Rocky III, but not so great. I liked Rocky V the best of the sequels. Rocky Balboa was not good. Creed was OK.

My Ranking
Rocky, Rocky IV, Rocky II, Rocky IV, Creed, Rocky III, Rocky Balboa
Only one I'll give you in Rocky 2. I thought the rest were god awful.

Reactions: cicero grimes

My Ranking
Rocky, Rocky IV, Rocky II, Rocky IV, Creed, Rocky III, Rocky Balboa
Rocky and Creed are the only good movies in the bunch, Rocky III, IV, V, and Rocky Balboa were garbage. Rocky II was not as bad as the subsequent sequels, but not nearly as good as the original.

Reactions: Plum Street
Gotta disagree!!!
My Rankings

Rocky
Rocky III (Clubber Lang a great movie villian)
Creed
Rocky IV (just for James Brown)
Rocky II
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V (his kid almost single handedly destroyed that movie)
Oh yeah? :boxing:
Tommy Gunn and Rocky's son from that movie both died too young, 44 and 36. Duke passed away too.
Uncle Paulie lives!
That kid who bullied Rocky's son is still a busy actor.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175305/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

Yo Adriannnn!!!!
Hard to believe it is that old. Released on Nov. 21, 1976.
I recall as an 8-10 year old kid one of my friend's older brothers idolizing Rocky/Sylvester Stallone.
I think I have watched Rocky over 30 or 40 times.

Retrospective by Adrian herself:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-...r-stallone-and-creating-adrian-171233105.html

I cannot tell you how the gods put together that moment in time. Rocky was brilliant on the page. We had a great director, and we were blessed by not having any money, because it gave us permission to be creative. We relied on each other as acting partners, as a true ensemble, very much inspired by Burgess Meredith [who played trainer Mickey Goldmill]. I was a very shy woman, so I understood that girl. And I understood that the greatest thing in the world for myself, and for a woman like that, was to have some man appreciate her. That, boy, that would be everything. Sylvester wrote Adrian to truly be his partner: a woman he looked to for guidance about right and wrong. And people become very beautiful when they’re loved.
Stallone wrote it? Is that common knowledge? Learn something new every day.

Reactions: ashokan
Thought that was pretty common knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky
Rocky is a 1976 American sports drama film directed by John G. Avildsen and both written by and starring Sylvester Stallone.
The film, made on a budget of just over $1 million and shot in 28 days, was a [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_hit']sleeper hit
; it earned $225 million in global box office receipts, becoming the highest-grossing film of 1976, and went on to win three Oscars, including Best Picture.[/URL]

He not only wrote it, he turned down a substantial amount for the script because the buyer was going to cast someone aside from SS (who had like $100 left). He only sold it when he got the part

Reactions: ATIOH
We relied on each other as acting partners, as a true ensemble, very much inspired by Burgess Meredith [who played trainer Mickey Goldmill].

Meredith is overlooked in Rockey. He was the perfect guy for a perfect roll
"WOMEN. WEAKEN. LEGZ!"

Also the ring announcer at the smoker where Rocky fights at the beginning is Billy Sands. Most people will remember him as Tink from Mchale's Navy.

MotorPool~~element71.jpg
8bffc1f95e5513a1b2a84704b74c2139.jpg

R-III is my favorite because of Mr. T. I saw him win (on TV) America's Greatest Bouncer I and II. Guy whacked his head on the bar after blasting through a door, and still managed to ring the bell. I had no idea he was in the movie until I saw it in the theatre. Loved it.

Next would be R-I, then R-IV. Don't care for the rest of them.

Thanks to Knight Shift for posting. Double edged sword. Cool for nostalgia, but reminds me how far in the rearview mirror 1976 is. Seventies were a great time for being a kid.

Reactions: Knight Shift
R-III is my favorite because of Mr. T. I saw him win (on TV) America's Greatest Bouncer I and II. Guy whacked his head on the bar after blasting through a door, and still managed to ring the bell. I had no idea he was in the movie until I saw it in the theatre. Loved it.

Next would be R-I, then R-IV. Don't care for the rest of them.

Thanks to Knight Shift for posting. Double edged sword. Cool for nostalgia, but reminds me how far in the rearview mirror 1976 is. Seventies were a great time for being a kid.

'80s were a great time to grow up too for a kid - my parents would be in jail today for as much freedom as they gave me at a young age - and that was the norm! I think it's crazy that we as a society have to keep our kids locked up unless there is a supervised play date - really sad and I'm not sure when we as a society jumped the shark.

Only one I'll give you in Rocky 2. I thought the rest were god awful.
I would have stopped with Rocky but can see RockyII. Rocky is in my top 10 of all time. Such a gritty, textured film. They don't make them like that anymore.

Rocky - classic

Rocky II, Creed - pretty good

Rocky Balboa - ok, glad I watched it once

Rocky III, Rocky IV - poor movies

Rocky V - hands down the worst of the Rocky franchise

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT