ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roku versus FireStick versus Chromecast, etc

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
Sorry this is OT, but I know this board has many people who have experience so I thought I would post

If I am getting a second TV for the bedroom and I am not going to use it much (my primary in the living room is hooked up to FIOS and uses Chromecast) except for late night streaming, I am wondering what is the best option for the price. Chromecast is about 30 dollars and just gives me the ability to stream, but I would need a wireless keyboard to enter any search options. I have no familiarity with ROKU or Firestick or any similar products - wondering if it would allow me extra options that I dont currently have with Chromecast and/or can get me TV channels that I dont have with my basic FIOS plan (it gives me Big10, ESPN, CNN MSNBC etc) and I have no need for HBO or Showtime since I can stream any of them from online

Thank you in advance for any recommendations - if you can include what you think the approximate cost is a s well, it would be greatly appreciated

Sorry this is OT, but I know this board has many people who have experience so I thought I would post

If I am getting a second TV for the bedroom and I am not going to use it much (my primary in the living room is hooked up to FIOS and uses Chromecast) except for late night streaming, I am wondering what is the best option for the price. Chromecast is about 30 dollars and just gives me the ability to stream, but I would need a wireless keyboard to enter any search options. I have no familiarity with ROKU or Firestick or any similar products - wondering if it would allow me extra options that I dont currently have with Chromecast and/or can get me TV channels that I dont have with my basic FIOS plan (it gives me Big10, ESPN, CNN MSNBC etc) and I have no need for HBO or Showtime since I can stream any of them from online

Thank you in advance for any recommendations - if you can include what you think the approximate cost is a s well, it would be greatly appreciated

If you already have Amazon prime for shopping plus other functions, the fire stick would be a very good option. You would get Amazon video at no extra cost. It includes a lot of content including movies, tv shows and original high quality programs plus apps for other content. A fire stick costs between $20 to $40 depending on what features you want.

Can't you use an app for searches? I just use the pop-up keyboard on the Roku app.

Have used Roku for almost a decade and have never seen a reason for anything else. Had an Apple TV years ago, didn't like it as much.

I used to use the Roku hard remote, but it's tiny and would always get lost or break, so I only use the app for RC now. It's better, anyway - can select specific channels directly instead of having to scroll around. So when I get a new one, will probably just get the stick instead of the console/remote package.

No idea how selection differs from Chrome cast, but Roku has everything I watch - Hulu with TV package, Netflix, MLB TV, Amazon, etc. Also some good free channels like Red Bull TV, PBS for kids, etc. Roku's bern doing it forever so has channel apps for pretty much everything.

Roku has 500,000 channels you can install. Their interface is really good if you get the Roku Ultra (they have "Premiere" now but I have never used that). Channels and menus load quick. The remote has volume rocker and a headphone jack. Roku does football well (not all streamer handle HQ well) and Roku sort of straddles between Google and Amazon so there are no channel battles. Roku doesn't ban channels trying to be PC. Chromecast is Google and who needs more Google in their life?

If you are buying a new TV for the bedroom, most new TVs are smart tvs and have most of the apps available thru the tv's OS. However, if a hardware device is needed, most folks in my extended family use roku on their older tvs.

Appreciate all the great advice here. If I get ROKU do I then have to purchase apps that can go on it, or does ROKU itself turn my dumb ( but nice picture ) Tv toa smart TV...

I am able to get almost any Tv show on Couchtuner, but curious if RIKU might add new movies or TV channels

Appreciate all the great advice here. If I get ROKU do I then have to purchase apps that can go on it, or does ROKU itself turn my dumb ( but nice picture ) Tv toa smart TV...

I am able to get almost any Tv show on Couchtuner, but curious if RIKU might add new movies or TV channels
Longtime Roku user here too. I highly recommend as well.

I am pretty sure for all these sticks/etc. the apps are free. But some apps require an account with the provider to use or unlock all the access.

Yes, to me, any of these devices “turn” your TV into a smart TV.

you can add Nvidia Shield as well to your list... but it is pricey.

tivo also makes a stick device..

I have roku built into a TV somewhere.. as well as the new chromecast TV. Both are cool. I use Chromecast TV with an older TV.. I like its interface a lot. I am sure all these are packagaing your usage data for advertisers.

The chromecast and tivo sticks are designed around the idea that you do not have to remember what show belongs to what app... it presents the shows to you and when you select it, it fires up the correct app... remembering which one you used for it... because some shows are "free" through one ap (an ap you maybe pay to subscribe to) .. but you can pay for them through another. Still.. I find myself firing up apps for programs more often than selecting the show drectly.

Cut the cord a few years ago. I have 5 tv's and use both Roku and Fire Stick. Also had apple TV but just use that now to shot music through airplay to my outdoor speakers, I would go with Roku - Firestick is good also but is attached at the hip with Amazon. (same with Apple TV) Hopefully Roku doesn't get gobbled up by one of the big tech companies.

Another cord cutter here using Apple on two units and Roku on two units. I like my Apple much better BUT my Roku is older model and loads slower. I'm sure the newer generations are much better.

As far as the Apps. (I believe) You'll have to download them but as noted most are free including those you have accounts for already.
The remotes have some direct access buttons for the main services like Netflix. My older remote doesn't have a volume control (PITA) but my newer one does. I have the remote installed on my phone as well but never thought of just using nthat per fsg2s comments. Might start doing that myself.

Reactions: Section124
Roku has 500,000 channels you can install. Their interface is really good if you get the Roku Ultra (they have "Premiere" now but I have never used that). Channels and menus load quick. The remote has volume rocker and a headphone jack. Roku does football well (not all streamer handle HQ well) and Roku sort of straddles between Google and Amazon so there are no channel battles. Roku doesn't ban channels trying to be PC. Chromecast is Google and who needs more Google in their life?

How about a battle over ALL of the channels (see link below)?

As someone who has a house full of Roku's with YouTube TV, this would be a major pain in the a$$. If this happens, I will be dropping YouTube TV. The monthly cost has increased substantially ($50 to $65 over the last couple of years) and added a bunch of channels I do not watch.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

How about a battle over ALL of the channels (see link below)?

As someone who has a house full of Roku's with YouTube TV, this would be a major pain in the a$$. If this happens, I will be dropping YouTube TV. The monthly cost has increased substantially ($50 to $65 over the last couple of years) and added a bunch of channels I do not watch.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

"According to Roku, as a condition for carrying YouTube TV, Google among other things is demanding Roku grant the separate YouTube app special search privileges and access to data on Roku users."

That's what Google does and a reason I would not get Chromecast. Roku isn't known for mugging people. Google is just high on it YTTV leverage. I had YTTV $40 and it was great - had all the sports. Then the price went up for adding junk like MTV (who I despised since I was a kid) and HGTV. I cut the cord to get away from all the channels of junk. At $65 I would have just stayed with FiOS. I got rid of YTTV and now don't watch TV and I love it. Its like Coke - if you dont have it for awhile it seems nasty when you try it again.

Last edited:
Another cord cutter here using Apple on two units and Roku on two units. I like my Apple much better BUT my Roku is older model and loads slower. I'm sure the newer generations are much better.

As far as the Apps. (I believe) You'll have to download them but as noted most are free including those you have accounts for already.
The remotes have some direct access buttons for the main services like Netflix. My older remote doesn't have a volume control (PITA) but my newer one does. I have the remote installed on my phone as well but never thought of just using nthat per fsg2s comments. Might start doing that myself.
Cut the cord over 3 years ago and never looked back. Love my Apple TV. So much faster than my Firesticks and Roku. I get that the Apple TV is much more expensive, but speed matters when searching channels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT