ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Honors College

Congrats!

I like the whole idea of it.. unless they start sacrificing entry academic requirements for diversity for the sake of diversity. That is.. have a high minimum entry requirement for achievement.. THEN get diversified.

It's really nice inside, great location. What do you want to know going in?

Just curious what people’s experience has been attending. The facilities look beautiful. At this point she is probably deciding between RU Honors College and UF Honors College. Waitlisted at a couple of Ivy’s which we assume will not pan out. Haven’t been back to New Brunswick in several years.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Just curious what people’s experience has been attending. The facilities look beautiful. At this point she is probably deciding between RU Honors College and UF Honors College. Waitlisted at a couple of Ivy’s which we assume will not pan out. Haven’t been back to New Brunswick in several years.
Caught your last sentence. You will need to get to Campus and see all the changes.

Friends daughter goes there and they cannot say enough about her experience. Rutgers will not screw around with the Honors College, too important to Barchi.

Caught your last sentence. You will need to get to Campus and see all the changes.

Friends daughter goes there and they cannot say enough about her experience. Rutgers will not screw around with the Honors College, too important to Barchi.

^This. My kid was offered a spot through the School of Arts and Sciences and one through Mason Gross. She was accepted by RBS but did not get one of their honors college slots. My understanding is that each school at RU gets allotted a certain number of honors college spaces based on their percentage of the overall student body. I'm not sure about the other schools but, last year, I think Mason Gross only had 16 spots. They're very selective.

I've been corrected. We won't be there on the 14th. We're going on April 6th.

RU honors. UF is very good. I know because my nephew just graduated from there, but he also told me his good friend at RU said the program at RU is more intellectually involved than his experience at UF. i'm sure when you compare the two, your daughter will make the right decision for herself. I believe it's an Ivy League education at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
RU honors. UF is very good. I know because my nephew just graduated from there, but he also told me his good friend at RU said the program at RU is more intellectually involved than his experience at UF. i'm sure when you compare the two, your daughter will make the right decision for herself. Also, good luck with the Ivies. Maybe she'll be taken off the waitlist.

Thanks! We wanted to like UF but frankly were underwhelmed with Gainesville and the campus.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Thanks! We wanted to like UF but frankly were underwhelmed with Gainesville and the campus.
My nephew went there from NJ, but only because he was first raised in Florida, moved to NJ at the age of sixteen and my sister and her ex-husband had already paid for the Florida tuition plan and got to go there at a very reduced rate. My niece is now at Florida State from NJ for the very same reason.

Can anyone share what it takes to get in (SAT and GPA)?
From the website:

The Honors College takes a holistic approach to selecting students, including review of academics, after school activities, community involvement, GPA, and test scores. While test scores are only a part of the evaluation, the average SAT score for the Honors College class of 2019 is 2160.

So I would think with the SAT's going back to the two sections it would be around 1440

From the website:

The Honors College takes a holistic approach to selecting students, including review of academics, after school activities, community involvement, GPA, and test scores. While test scores are only a part of the evaluation, the average SAT score for the Honors College class of 2019 is 2160.

So I would think with the SAT's going back to the two sections it would be around 1440

An average that high is certainly saying something about the caliber of the entering cohort of the Honors College. If they advertised the average score of those admitted, it stands to reason that the number is even higher.

Upcoming Honors College tours on April 18,19,25,and 27.These are geared to juniors and sophomores,but I doubt they would turn away freshmen.Registration and more info at honors college.Rutgers.edu.

Boca, I just found out earlier today my nephew picked Florida over Penn State.He also was accepted at Rutgers,TCNJ,Seton Hall,and Monmouth.Very good grades and SATs,although I don't think quite Honors College level.Would have loved it if he picked Rutgers,but I think geography was an issue.He and his Mom were at the Florida campus a few weeks ago and he loved it.Hope he is happy there and gets a quality education.They offered so much that the price comes out the same,not including travel expenses.Best of luck to your family regardless of the choice.

Boca, I just found out earlier today my nephew picked Florida over Penn State.He also was accepted at Rutgers,TCNJ,Seton Hall,and Monmouth.Very good grades and SATs,although I don't think quite Honors College level.Would have loved it if he picked Rutgers,but I think geography was an issue.He and his Mom were at the Florida campus a few weeks ago and he loved it.Hope he is happy there and gets a quality education.They offered so much that the price comes out the same,not including travel expenses.Best of luck to your family regardless of the choice.

Congrats to your nephew. UF is an excellent choice. Academically I’d put them behind only Vanderbilt as far as SEC schools go. Fortunately, RU is offering enough in scholarships to make it comparable for us to UF from a financial standpoint. With the bright futures program down here, tuition would be free at UF.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Boca,thanks. The Honors College is very nice.Are you going to try to take a tour of the entire campus.You won't recognize Livingston.Also brand new buildings on Busch include Chemistry,Engineering opening soon,Pharmacy School expansion.New Nursing building opened a few years back plus new dorms and academic buildings on College Avenue.Fairly new arts theaters on Douglass,plus two more on the way on George Street.I am probably missing some. Enjoy!

Reactions: Loyal-Son and KevH

I have many former students who are in the honors college and every one of them loves it. They love the dorms (probably the nicest on campus outside of the apartments), the community, and the opportunities provided by the honors college.

Jim,I have never been there myself but I am sure they looked around the town.When my older nephew was looking at schools,they were very turned off by the area around Lafayette and it pretty much fell off the list.When they went to Villanova,that area was also checked and was not an issue.There is no way my sister would pay for a school or send him to a school in an area you seem to be describing as if it is New York City or Detroit.

Jim,I have never been there myself but I am sure they looked around the town.When my older nephew was looking at schools,they were very turned off by the area around Lafayette and it pretty much fell off the list.When they went to Villanova,that area was also checked and was not an issue.There is no way my sister would pay for a school or send him to a school in an area you seem to be describing as if it is New York City or Detroit.
My best friend since childhood went to UF for his masters and doctoral degrees in fisheries biology. Outstanding program and the campus is really nice. However, he lived about 2 miles off campus and to say it was sketchy is an understatement. He had neighbors with shacks for homes. Lots of abandoned businesses around him also. It just made me feel really uncomfortable being there. I know people will reply and say NB is sketchy too, but to me, it’s nicer than north central Florida. To each his own.

I didn’t find Gainesville to be sketchy. There seemed to be a lot of new construction everywhere including a Whole Foods (which is typically a good sign). The campus itself is sprawling.

I didn’t find Gainesville to be sketchy. There seemed to be a lot of new construction everywhere including a Whole Foods (which is typically a good sign). The campus itself is sprawling.
Like I said, to each his own.

I graduated from the honors college just a few years back. Tremendous experience and I actually graduated just before the new facility opened up. Great job prospects.
What major?
We would love for our son to go to the Honors College. He did extremely well on the SATs, and he should have some very good options for colleges. He will most likely major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.

I graduated from the honors college just a few years back. Tremendous experience and I actually graduated just before the new facility opened up. Great job prospects.
What major?
We would love for our son to go to the Honors College. He did extremely well on the SATs, and he should have some very good options for colleges. He will most likely major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
I went for the Wall Street track so I majored in Econ and math. The comp sci program had a 100% (or very close) job rate my senior year.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I went for the Wall Street track so I majored in Econ and math. The comp sci program had a 100% (or very close) job rate my senior year.
Everyone you knew was happy? No "RU Screw" feelings?
Met a very impressive Honors College Senior during our tour who was majoring in Computer Engineering with minors in finance and computer science. She was tracking Fin Tech and Wall Street.
Not that I think my son would go that route, but there is a pretty good Rutgers pipeline to Wall Street?

Everyone you knew was happy? No "RU Screw" feelings?
Met a very impressive Honors College Senior during our tour who was majoring in Computer Engineering with minors in finance and computer science. She was tracking Fin Tech and Wall Street.
Not that I think my son would go that route, but there is a pretty good Rutgers pipeline to Wall Street?
You're never gonna make everyone happy, but for the most part everyone I graduated with had a great time and is doing very well today.

The Wall Street pipeline is similar to most state schools - the brightest (and most aggressive) will get the front office jobs. But you have to stay on top of recruiting early and keep a stellar GPA. As opposed to my Ivy League friends who d*cked around for 4 years and landed the same jobs with relative ease.

Last edited:
I know that I am late to the party (we were away for the holiday and I wasn't checking the board). My daughter is a freshman at the Rutgers Honor College and is enjoying her experience. It has provided a small scale environment in the midst of a much larger university.

It may sound that way, but this is not a snarky post. I am really curious about this.

Are there any/many men who go to Rutgers Honor college? Virtually all of the above posts are about "daughters".

Thanks

It may sound that way, but this is not a snarky post. I am really curious about this.

Are there any/many men who go to Rutgers Honor college? Virtually all of the above posts are about "daughters".

Thanks
It's 50/50 men to women.... as you would expect?

Thanks

I don't know the percentages for the Honors College specifically, but I can tell you that most universities the number of women now exceeds the number of men. I do know of an exception, though: Penn State, presumably because of its reputation for success in athletics.

I don't know the percentages for the Honors College specifically, but I can tell you that most universities the number of women now exceeds the number of men. I do know of an exception, though: Penn State, presumably because of its reputation for success in athletics.
Plenty more schools that are successful at sports. Boys like go to Penn State with less girls.

Kev and Boca,how did your visits go?

It was great, Heaven! Like withoutregard said:

"...small school feel with access to big school resources and alum. She also gets priority registration and other perks, the perks at honors colleges are great."

We got a private tour because they organized the groups by school, and my daughter was the only Mason Gross enrolee there that day. Very nice building, the Honors College and the new academic buildings next to it. I shot some video on my phone and am in the process of editing it and adding some audio that I recorded that day. I'll link it when I'm done.

I love the plentiful study and research opportunities the HC provides... especially the shadowing program and alumni network. In a very competitive field, it's good to know that she'll have access to those resources. My daughter is a cello performance major and is taking the entrepreneurship minor that RBS offers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT