ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Search for Unclaimed Property (Money) In New Jersey

Good luck. My brother said it involved too many hoops for a claim we found He gave up after awhile
We found 3 in NJ and one in Fla and one in Calf. for my deceased in laws (and grandmother) last January. Worth over $10k combined.
Death Certs, wills/trust doc, probate docs, etc. Much of which we had on hand from recent passing anyway but we did have to do some follow-up. As example we had to prove my wife's sister died in a car crash some 20+ years prior to prove my wife only heir after her bro signed off for us to do the collection). But Middlesex Surrogate did it all by email and mail. Most impressive group of all.

Fla sent us the money in 2 months. NJ took 8 and we had to get our local NJ Congress person (well me copying her on all the emails) to light a fire under them because they kept coming back with the same Doc requests even after getting them and starting the 90 day ticker over and over. Not much better than the unemployment office when it comes to common sense and follow thru.

(My Bro in law handled Ca as he lives there).
also got about a surprise extra $1k in interest as some of these went back 15+ years (stock dividends). 1% but it was still a grand.

I too found about 5-6 for other family members and happy to report not a single thing for me was there!

My Great-Grandfather’s name came up for a property address that is now a Princeton University lecture hall. What does this mean? The property (land) aspect of this is confusing.

Or does property refer to anything, not just land?

Last edited:
My Great-Grandfather’s name came up for a property address that is now a Princeton University lecture hall. What does this mean? The property (land) aspect of this is confusing.

Or does property refer to anything, not just land?
It can refer to anything. Maybe he was a tenant there. In any case, it does no harm to fill out the claim form on-line. That will give you details on what it is. Then you can decide whether it's worthwhile to follow through on the claim by giving them all the documents they'll want.

Last week we submitted documentation for a claim on behalf of an estate, and got notice today that processing has been completed and that a check will be forthcoming in 2-3 weeks. I'm pleased with the processing time. Thank you to all of you who have contributed information to this thread; it's been a big help!

Last week we submitted documentation for a claim on behalf of an estate, and got notice today that processing has been completed and that a check will be forthcoming in 2-3 weeks. I'm pleased with the processing time. Thank you to all of you who have contributed information to this thread; it's been a big help!
Agreed….thanks to this thread I received a hair over $2000. Not bad when you’re expecting zero. The processing time was quick and efficient. Maybe NJ doesn’t always suck.

Agreed….thanks to this thread I received a hair over $2000. Not bad when you’re expecting zero. The processing time was quick and efficient. Maybe NJ doesn’t always suck.
a few years back- I did the same for NYS and I think there were 5-6 items in it that ranged from 90- 1800 I think maybe about 3k back in total.
I found my son and a niece in there a few months back- my son followed up and got $700 for some reason, the niece has not inquired

I tried it out, put in "Elmer J. Fudd, Millionaire". It told me NJ was holding a mansion and a yacht for me.

I don't know how NJ compares with other states in handling unclaimed property. But I did like this sentence in the e-mail we received from the state:

"It is our goal to reunite unclaimed property with the rightful owners. Please encourage your family and friends to visit: https://unclaimedfunds.nj.gov/app/claim-search to search for unclaimed property in their name."

Last edited:
Reactions: ClassOf02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT