ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Short Waterfront Getaway with Wife Recommendations

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations from the RU brain trust. I am trying to get away with the wife for a few days (leaving from Hunterdon county area) to somewhere near a beach or lake for a few days. Trying to be cost efficient and be within a 2-3 hour drive. Thinking something like a Sunday-Tuesday could work well since it is summer.

Looking to relax by the water, maybe swim some, have a couple of nice dinners.

I am open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations from the RU brain trust. I am trying to get away with the wife for a few days (leaving from Hunterdon county area) to somewhere near a beach or lake for a few days. Trying to be cost efficient and be within a 2-3 hour drive. Thinking something like a Sunday-Tuesday could work well since it is summer.

Thanks!
If you want a lake check out Mountaintop Lodge at Lake Naomi in Poconos. Nice bed and breakfast and you also get access to all Lake Naomi facilities- indoor pool, beautiful outdoor lakeside pool , beaches on lake, 9 hole golf, tennis center, fitness center and lakeside restaurant and bar.

Cape May ( Virginia Hotel) is another great option. Could take ferry to Lewes De and split time in Lewes / Rehobeth

Hi All,

Thanks!
NJ's skylands region is the undiscovered gem of NJ! Lake Hopatcong, and many other lakes. Lots of hotels, I highly recommend visiting high point state park. lake Hopatcong has lots of restaurants on the water. from hunterdon depending where you are it could be an hour away or 30 minutes away. avoid the drive and stay local.

Reactions: newell138
Jim Thorpe Camping Resort is an excellent place to spend a few days. Mauch Chunk Lake is nearby, and the camping cabins are spartan though good enough. Bathroom facilities are available onsite.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If you want a lake check out Mountaintop Lodge at Lake Naomi in Poconos. Nice bed and breakfast and you also get access to all Lake Naomi facilities- indoor pool, beautiful outdoor lakeside pool , beaches on lake, 9 hole golf, tennis center, fitness center and lakeside restaurant and bar.

Cape May ( Virginia Hotel) is another great option. Could take ferry to Lewes De and split time in Lewes / Rehobeth
Loved mountain top lodge. Second that

Jim Thorpe Camping Resort is an excellent place to spend a few days. Mauch Chunk Lake is nearby, and the camping cabins are spartan though good enough. Bathroom facilities are available onsite.

there are very few women who want to go camping for a weekend

there are very few women who want to go camping for a weekend
Staying in a camping cabin isn’t traditional camping because the cabin protects you from the elements. It’s something different, and much cheaper. Plus you can do almost any outdoor activity you want in the Poconos. I’ve gone with a bunch of people and the girls loved it. Not for everyone, but just another idea for consideration.

Swimming not an option right now in NJ unless you are 10 years old as the water is still in the low 60s at the shore. If you are going in the summer I have a few recommendations:
Cape May - great restaurants and cool vibe, take your bikes on the ferry and ride on some beautiful trails into Rehobeth for lunch and take the ferry back.
Lake Placid - We stayed at Hampton Inn right on the lake and it was absolutely wonderful. Lots of hiking and great places to eat
Lake George - We stayed at The Sagamore which was absolutely beautiful. Great spot with great food. Nice pool and right on the lake. Other than walking around downtown, we barely left the place it was so nice and relaxing

Reactions: Morrischiano
Thank you all. This trip is likely in mid/late July or early August. If we go somewhere on a beach, I figure the water should be a little warmer.

Swimming not an option right now in NJ unless you are 10 years old as the water is still in the low 60s at the shore. If you are going in the summer I have a few recommendations:
Cape May - great restaurants and cool vibe, take your bikes on the ferry and ride on some beautiful trails into Rehobeth for lunch and take the ferry back.
Lake Placid - We stayed at Hampton Inn right on the lake and it was absolutely wonderful. Lots of hiking and great places to eat
Lake George - We stayed at The Sagamore which was absolutely beautiful. Great spot with great food. Nice pool and right on the lake. Other than walking around downtown, we barely left the place it was so nice and relaxing
Lake George gets a little too crowded/rowdy for me. Of course we were there 4th July week in 2021, so we may have hit it at its worse.

Love Lake Placid, but I would suggest that you need to be a little outdoorsy to get the most out of the value of visit(hiking,etc)

St. Michaels I think is the perfect couple get away with a shoresy feel. Lots of dining options, shopping, sail boat cruises. etc.

Reactions: newell138 and RUMED
How cost efficient? Is Newport out of the question because that's your best bet. If not go south to Delaware beaches or maybe Eastern Shore Md towns like Easton with a trip to Bay over there.

How cost efficient? Is Newport out of the question because that's your best bet. If not go south to Delaware beaches or maybe Eastern Shore Md towns like Easton with a trip to Bay over there.
Agree with Newport. It's my go-to long weekend destination without getting on a plane.

Cape May is an excellent suggestion as well.

The Sagamore at Lake George is awesome. We’re going up there at the end of the month. It is expensive though.

Asbury Park is great for a quick trip. Some good restaurants, a couple of nice boutique hotels and some quirky shops for window shopping. There’s also the beach.

Lake George gets a little too crowded/rowdy for me. Of course we were there 4th July week in 2021, so we may have hit it at its worse.

Love Lake Placid, but I would suggest that you need to be a little outdoorsy to get the most out of the value of visit(hiking,etc)

St. Michaels I think is the perfect couple get away with a shoresy feel. Lots of dining options, shopping, sail boat cruises. etc.
We’ve been on lake George the last two 4ths and it isn’t rowdy at all.

Go to Bethany Beach De. It's called the quiet resort. You have a nice beach and a small no- ride boardwalk and very cute town with shops and nice restaurants that you can walk to.

From there you can drive up (`25 minutes ) to Lewes- Rehoboth and a bit more action.

Then head south and go see the wild horses at Asseataegue Island National Park. Very cool thing to do. Rent kayaks while you are there.

Hi All,

Thanks!
Round Valley or Spruce Run. Very cost efficient lol

Reactions: RUforester72
What is it you like about Newport and when is the best time to go? Haven’t been in 30 years and my wife’s been talking about going for a long weekend late summer
Newport has a lot to do, great restaurants and bars, lots to see. Of course, there are the mansion tours, the Cliff Walk, Castle Hill, take in a polo match in Portsmouth, rooftop bar at the Vanderbilt Hotel, a drink on Goat Island, cruises, etc. The beaches are typical New England beaches---some sand with lots of rocks. If your objective is to lounge on a beach all day and splash around in the water, Newport isn't your best choice, and you're probably better off in Cape May. I personally have never been there in the Summer, as I've been warned by locals that it gets very crowded in the Summer months. I have been there a few times for Memorial Day weekend (including last month) and early Fall (Sept.-early Oct.), as well as around the holidays. If you'd like to go, I can give you some more specific recommendations about where to stay, eat, etc. If you go in the late Summer, I do suggest booking sooner than later, including dinner reservations.

Newport, especially in the summer, can be a nightmare drive. You aren't getting there in under 3 hours even average conditions.

May sound odd, but go to Baltimore. Stay at the Sagamore Pendry. Nice pool on the harbor. Tons of nice restaurants nearby in fells point amd Harbor east.

Newell, I was thinking of you yesterday when I braved it and got into the ocean. Not too warm, and didn't stay in the water long, but I pulled it off twice while I was out there. It helps to go for a sweaty run first, ha ha...

Last edited:
I love Cape May, but in the summer, it may be cheaper to go to Aruba. You can stay in Wildwood far cheaper. and take a very short drive to Cape May.

Hi All,

Thanks!
My son has 4 properties on Lake Wallenpaupack (sp) in the Poconos. I can get there in under 2 hours from Ringoes up 31. Getting a Sunday to Tues shouldn't be hard and I can get you a FnF direct book discount if you want to check them out and book. (PM me if seriously interested) He's got 1,2 and 3 Bedroom homes fenced with firepits, Kayaks, hot tubs, game sheds and all renovated in the last couple of years (I helped lol. Those are my skis). .

This link is for the entire 3 House side by side by side rental. You can click on each to see the individual listings. (The 4th house he just finished is a short distance on the other side of the lake ..2 bedroom closer to town and things. Although these places are less than 10 mins to it all too).

I would probably opt for Newport as well.

If you don't want to go even that far, now and then I'll stop in for a meal along the northern end of Lake Mohawk which is up near Sparta NJ. There's a small boardwalk and some shops and restaurants. It's a very peaceful valley setting and, being right here in NJ, very close.

I've never stayed overnight there, but I'm guessing there are some bed and breakfast type places, maybe an Inn or two in the area. And it's not, or at least never seemed like, a tourist destination. I don't much enjoy touristy areas, so for me anyplace that isn't is more attractive than anyplace that is.

If you and your wife are foodies, Cape May has the best food on the Jersey shore, IMO and its a great place with the beach, wineries, breweries, etc.

Jim Thorpe is a hidden gem if you like the outdoors (hiking, biking, canoeing, etc). I'm sure there are hotels in town but plenty to do once you're there.

If you and your wife are foodies, Cape May has the best food on the Jersey shore, IMO and its a great place with the beach, wineries, breweries, etc.
If you do end up there make sure you check out:

Especially the speakeasy known as a The Boiler Room downstairs.

Reactions: RUMED and Postman_1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT