ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So is the Prime hype over? Colorado football is a mess

First- I had been more responding about Dion here. I don’t think Greg is the final answer for our program but he did get structure back in place.
Dion, upside? Tear down the program rather than fix it.
Doesn’t work the first year, tear it down again.
When his sons leave, he will leave Colorado with a mess. They will never see his upside unless he is in the playoffs this year.

You Greg guys are a strange bunch

Satisfied with underachieving, slogans, bad offense 1980s type football based on field position and playing not to lose

I’m thinking you all grew up watching us get smoked for years, and regardless of our potential, are satisfied with medioricity and a steady diet of Pinstripe Bowls
Maybe had you donated more we could have had those nice toys earlier? Perhaps had Fred not been such a poor AD who decided not to join the B1G East way back? Or was it the lack of or the perception that we were somehow an IVY League School? All I know is Schiano was the first guy who brought this football program to a point of being respectable in the eyes of many. Now …I’m fine with seeing what he can do in the best college football conference in America. We may never win a NC but we can be similar to some of the others who are great programs but never have grasped that gold ring.

Maybe had you donated more we could have had those nice toys earlier? Perhaps had Fred not been such a poor AD who decided not to join the B1G East way back? Or was it the lack of or the perception that we were somehow an IVY League School? All I know is Schiano was the first guy who brought this football program to a point of being respectable in the eyes of many. Now …I’m fine with seeing what he can do in the best college football conference in America. We may never win a NC but we can be similar to some of the others who are great programs but never have grasped that gold ring.
How much do you donate Bob?
Do you have season tickets?
Do you help fund NIL ?
Are you a member of the touchdown club?

I’m the last guy you ever want a question about fandom and donating

If you’re OK with the program consistently underachieving, and they steady diet of pinstripe and quick lane bowls, that’s on you

I, on the other hand, want to see big-time college football played in Piscataway, and a team that is winning at an elite level

I do not enjoy getting pounded every year by the same teams, and trips in December to the Bronx playing football on a baseball stadium is not appealing to me

Start writing some significant checks, donating to NIL on the regular, or at a minimum participate in a fundraising drive for facilities, and then get back to me

How much do you donate Bob?
Do you have season tickets?
Do you help fund NIL ?
Are you a member of the touchdown club?

I’m the last guy you ever want a question about fandom and donating

If you’re OK with the program consistently underachieving, and they steady diet of pinstripe and quick lane bowls, that’s on you

I, on the other hand, want to see big-time college football played in Piscataway, and a team that is winning at an elite level

I do not enjoy getting pounded every year by the same teams, and trips in December to the Bronx playing football on a baseball stadium is not appealing to me

Start writing some significant checks, donating to NIL on the regular, or at a minimum participate in a fundraising drive for facilities, and then get back to me
More than many who also are alums and Rutgers fans… You forget I’m old … the best was being told back in 2018 by my rep that based upon records it was over X … more than 30 K … in 2019 after 37 years of season tix decided with Ash flopping … no more… UNTIL. When you are on a fixed income your disposable income is very important… travel… grandchildren … Priorities do change… they will for you and yours as well.

More than many who also are alums and Rutgers fans… You forget I’m old … the best was being told back in 2018 by my rep that based upon records it was over X … more than 30 K … in 2019 after 37 years of season tix decided with Ash flopping … no more… UNTIL. When you are on a fixed income your disposable income is very important… travel… grandchildren … Priorities do change… they will for you and yours as well.
Keep in mind… the difference comes as we get older ….glad you keep writing those checks… as much as I love Rutgers you will understand once you reach your 70’s … and I’m in relative good - very good shape… just had my semi annual check up. 👍🏻😜🪓…Priorities do change in this life. I did my due diligence when Rutgers was just a blip.

I’m sure they will
Happens to all of us

I don't know why some fans believe that whatever they donate makes them smarter than any other fan.

Reactions: brgRC90
I don't know why some fans believe that whatever they donate makes them smarter than any other fan.
I must be a total idiot then. Because I donate nothing to sports these days. I focus all my charitable efforts on stuff I think is vastly more important than entertainment. Finding cures and treatments for children’s cancer, for example.

I’d like the teams I root for to do well and all. But not nearly as much as I’d like to see really sicks kids get better.

Shame on stupid me. 🙂

I’m sure they will
Happens to all of us
And you I will surmise are much younger than I… was not meaning to sound condescending about you or anyone else’s donations level… I’ m not an NIL proponent though I do believe athlete’s should be compensated but that should be through tv rights which now are in the millions for several conferences. I’m also of the belief that a schools endowment ( like many) should help defray the cost of education… Also a proponent of people paying their college loan debt … along with additional funding for kids to be exposed to the vocational route… going to be a dangerous shortage not only in the medical fields but those jobs which require getting your hands dirty.There will be a 550 K shortage within 10 years…Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, pipe fitters, steam fitters…. sounds unimportant … sounds like a low class type job. We all know it’s not… it’s really still not promoted as it was when I grew up back in the 50’s -60’s…Vo techswere considered for the “ less” academically gifted. How wrong people were. And don’t A doctor shortage if 500k + is about 5-7 years away. Those are things this nation should be funding.

I don’t know what program the kid is going to transfer to where he won’t have to put in the work. Wouldn’t last a week in this program. Some 5 stars have a sense of entitlement.

First two years are the toughest. Let’s see where he is year 3.

Study and prepare,” Sanders responded to a question about what he needed to see from McClain. “Be on time for meetings, show up to meetings. Understand the scheme. I check film time from each player so I can see who’s preparing, so if I don’t see that, you would be a fool to put somebody out there who’s not prepared. That goes for all our players.”
Why do you keep sticking up for sanders and this program? What he did was complete bullshit and he is failing on the recruiting front after bombing the last 3/4 of ‘23. ASIDE from bringing short-term $$$$ to the program/university the “hype” IS over.

Not me
Greg has shown what is ceiling is while
Deion hasn’t

Deion’s way of doing thing may not work out - it’s certainly unconventional

And if I had a son, I’d want him to play for Greg as opposed to Deion

But Greg has shown what he can do over the past 20 years in D1 and the NFL

Deion is in year 2 in D1 - which is why, when people bust on the guy yet give Greg a pass, is beyond comical
Understood and all your points are valid. As far as the ceiling though, has he really? What would have happened if he stayed and had that stellar Barkley class? And yes, I know your points about the offense. I guess I always hope we will get that slam dunk OC who revolutionizes how we move the ball and Gregblets him fully take over the reins.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Nobody is smarter than anybody, regardless of what they donate

But those of us who donate, and donate a substantial amount, do not want to see mediocrity

I’m tired of losing
Tired of slogans
And tired of excuses

I want wins
I want to be competitive
And eventually, want to be elite

I must be a total idiot then. Because I donate nothing to sports these days. I focus all my charitable efforts on stuff I think is vastly more important than entertainment. Finding cures and treatments for children’s cancer, for example.

I’d like the teams I root for to do well and all. But not nearly as much as I’d like to see really sicks kids get better.

Shame on stupid me. 🙂
I commend you for that mildone

A substantial amount to our church as offering and help leading others to Christ is one of my passions

But that doesn’t mean you can’t donate to athletics if that is one of your passions as well

Each of us choice, and will do what we see fit with our finances

Why do you keep sticking up for sanders and this program? What he did was complete bullshit and he is failing on the recruiting front after bombing the last 3/4 of ‘23. ASIDE from bringing short-term $$$$ to the program/university the “hype” IS over.
Why is it bullshit? He wants to win nuts

Do you think Saban did everything that was morally and ethically correct?
How about Dabo, Jimbo, Norville, Kirby, urban, Woody Hayes,, Joe Paterno, Bobby, Bowden, Steve, Spurrier, , Osborne, etc.

These guys are killer man, they will do what they need to do to get through that elite level

Dion is Unconventional, but this is a business, end of story

He is paid and paid handsomely to win, and to win you need elite players

Time will tell if he is successful, but these players and coaches understand when you reach the level of major football, it is a straight up business

Reactions: RutgersPaul
Understood and all your points are valid. As far as the ceiling though, has he really? What would have happened if he stayed and had that stellar Barkley class? And yes, I know your points about the offense. I guess I always hope we will get that slam dunk OC who revolutionizes how we move the ball and Gregblets him fully take over the reins.
That is the million dollar question, he had a top 20 class coming in and a ton of momentum

I don’t blame him for leaving, as there was no guarantees we were getting in the Big Ten and he got in an opportunity of a lifetime in Tampa

But things in college athletics have changed night and day from when he left for Tampa to now

He’s evolved in someways for sure, but I do not believe he is evolved enough to get us to that elusive elite level, which we absolutely have the potential to reach with the right coach

Why is it bullshit? He wants to win nuts

Do you think Saban did everything that was morally and ethically correct?
How about Dabo, Jimbo, Norville, Kirby, urban, Woody Hayes,, Joe Paterno, Bobby, Bowden, Steve, Spurrier, , Osborne, etc.

These guys are killer man, they will do what they need to do to get through that elite level

Dion is Unconventional, but this is a business, end of story

He is paid and paid handsomely to win, and to win you need elite players

Time will tell if he is successful, but these players and coaches understand when you reach the level of major football, it is a straight up business
I think what he did was complete bullshit. Scumbag level crap in my humble opinion.

…and can we PLEASE stop calling him “Coach Prine?” So ****ing stupid.

I think what he did was complete bullshit. Scumbag level crap in my humble opinion.

…and can we PLEASE stop calling him “Coach Prine?” So ****ing stupid.
It’s unconventional, but these guys are paid to win

Saban was gray shirting guys and nobody said a thing

Prime took over 1-11 team and turned them into a 4 win team the next year

Unfortunately, that would not have happened, but the collection of guys he had their when he inherited the team

They just were not that talented

He told me I straight up where they stood, did not mess around with them. I was transparent from the jump.

He’s in it to win it
No ten year rebuilds, guys are young nonsense - he wants to win now

Frankly, I wish Greg had some of that urgency in him

Reactions: RutgersPaul
I commend you for that mildone

A substantial amount to our church as offering and help leading others to Christ is one of my passions

But that doesn’t mean you can’t donate to athletics if that is one of your passions as well

Each of us choice, and will do what we see fit with our finances
So- many of my friends and many of them on this site- donate a substantial amount and I am not going out on a limb to say they would not be happy with prime at all.

So- many of my friends and many of them on this site- donate a substantial amount and I am not going out on a limb to say they would not be happy with prime at all.
I don’t blame them that they would not be happy with his method of doing things, but I would bet you any amount of money, but as long as he produced, elite level results, nobody would care

Belichick and Saban are not exactly Mr. personality, but they are loved in Tuscaloosa and Foxborough respectively because they won

It ultimately all comes down to winning. As long as you don’t do it like Baylor and Penn State, nobody cares.

It’s unconventional, but these guys are paid to win

Saban was gray shirting guys and nobody said a thing

Prime took over 1-11 team and turned them into a 4 win team the next year

Unfortunately, that would not have happened, but the collection of guys he had their when he inherited the team

They just were not that talented

He told me I straight up where they stood, did not mess around with them. I was transparent from the jump.

He’s in it to win it
No ten year rebuilds, guys are young nonsense - he wants to win now

Frankly, I wish Greg had some of that urgency in him
Just rubs me the wrong way my man

The business part was a major problem.
Colorado didn't even have the money to pay Sanders (he knew that).
Sanders was AD Rick George's 4th head coach for football - they all failed.
Unlike most big football programs, Colorado football wasn't paying for itself nevermind other sports.
The athletic dept was in a crisis.

The college changed its transfer rules when Sanders arrived
It was hard to get players transferred via the portal.
They knew they needed a massive roster remake.
Players had gone to seed as they say
The AD and president were 100% down with the roster busting - no more hopium

Sanders hadn't even coached a game yet but season tickets were soldout. Millions came via donations.
Deion saved the Athletic dept in a few weeks.
Sanders and George are like soul buddies
more of a business decision hire .
Bring in someone that has a name and personality that will get attention for the program and funds because of the hype that coach brings with him and pray he proves to be a good P-5 HC.

Hiring Sanders qualifies as a smart business move, the way Colorado ended their season makes hiring Deion for his coaching ability a questionable move as of now.
But if Sanders proves he can't make Colorado a winning program, dumping him quickly might have it so the Buffs can use the money Sanders brought in with his hire to bring in someone who can before the funds are drained because boosters have started looking at Deion as a loser that just talks a good game.
Then when the winning starts, boosters start ponying up again

If Sanders ability as a coach is close to the hype surrounding him, Colorado made a great move and even if he leaves for greener pastures he put the Buffs in a position to hire quality and not go bargain basement because of the money Deion brought to the program while he was there

And he took a 1-11 team and won 4.
Not to defend Greg but the dude took a team that won 3 games the previous 2 years and won 3. All, in the B1G.
Now, tell me Prime Time turns tgat into 6-8 this year, he sticks around and gets 8-10 tge following- then, he has proven something.
Or does he win4-5 again, trash his players and flip the roster again.

He ‘s got a tougher route to 6-8… I think the man was a great athlete … a flamboyant in your face competitor . Where it will be hard is 2nd year turning the roster over. Best is he’s losing most of last years transfers.

Sorry don’t drink , don’t smoke but laugh at you for suggesting otherwise. 😜😜😜😜👍🏻. Suggest when you reach the age of reasoning you will hopefully feel better when someone takes an opposing view. You are antagonistic to say the least but I understand you can’t help yourself . Seek help please.

more of a business decision hire .
Bring in someone that has a name and personality that will get attention for the program and funds because of the hype that coach brings with him and pray he proves to be a good P-5 HC.

Hiring Sanders qualifies as a smart business move, the way Colorado ended their season makes hiring Deion for his coaching ability a questionable move as of now.
But if Sanders proves he can't make Colorado a winning program, dumping him quickly might have it so the Buffs can use the money Sanders brought in with his hire to bring in someone who can before the funds are drained because boosters have started looking at Deion as a loser that just talks a good game.
Then when the winning starts, boosters start ponying up again

If Sanders ability as a coach is close to the hype surrounding him, Colorado made a great move and even if he leaves for greener pastures he put the Buffs in a position to hire quality and not go bargain basement because of the money Deion brought to the program while he was there

I'm never quite sure what people mean by "coaching."

Bum Phillips explained coaching well:

“Coaching is not how much you know. It’s how much you can get players to do.”
"How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That's how you win."

I think DS is a good motivator. In fact I think he had his team riding too high for College Game Day. All the rappers who descended and Lil Wayne leading team on the field was over the top . Team thought they would be in the Rose Bowl after beating TCU. Col State became like a Burt Reynolds prison team looking to play desperate.

Assistant coaches and coordinators have to do the x/o stuff. DS didn't have a FBS crew in place. I was watching Warren Sapp coach and he's going to have that unit on point.

Assistant coaches and coordinators have to do the x/o stuff.

Last edited:
He ‘s got a tougher route to 6-8… I think the man was a great athlete … a flamboyant in your face competitor . Where it will be hard is 2nd year turning the roster over. Best is he’s losing most of last years transfers.
Schiano got to 6-8 wins last year when he had to play #1, #7, #10, #17
Colorado is playing 3 teams in 24 that were ranked last year- #14, #20, #25

The difference between the two is also that as bad as it seemed Colorado was when he took over, it was in better shape then we were when Greg came back - Colorado also opened up the bank for Sanders as well.

Does anyone really think that Sanders could do a great job here in the way he would have to do it at Rutgers?

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Sorry don’t drink , don’t smoke but laugh at you for suggesting otherwise. 😜😜😜😜👍🏻. Suggest when you reach the age of reasoning you will hopefully feel better when someone takes an opposing view. You are antagonistic to say the least but I understand you can’t help yourself . Seek help please.

Put a sock in it boy or else you'll be outta here like sh!t through a goose!

• Haha
Reactions: mildone

The difference between the two is also that as bad as it seemed Colorado was when he took over, it was in better shape then we were when Greg came back - Colorado also opened up the bank for Sanders as well.

Does anyone really think that Sanders could do a great job here in the way he would have to do it at Rutgers?
Uh the hype show would get you some players but that’s about it. You need continuity and an actual plan… Sanders’ s plan is bring in the 4/5 **** guys and hope somehow they can play together as a TEAM.

I'm sure if Father Gregory took over Colorado he would have started season with a lot of the 1-11 team. No way his Colorado beats TCU in first game - or sells out season ticks and scores several TV ratings records. Good chance he would have been 1-11 again.

A problem for Sanders - that GS would also have had - is depth. By season's end Colorado had a lot of injuries. A 195lb safety was stuck playing MLB (then he got hurt).

Sanders at RU is interesting because he would be seen as toxic by some academics who would complain. Rutgers is not a football school the way other B1G teams are. A lot of staff "tolerate" football @ Rutgers. Sanders owns Colorado school top to bottom for most part. President and AD really like him. Sanders says AD Rick George shares his faith and a lot of colleges wouldn't want a coach with gangster crucifix lol. I don't think Sanders would come to RU but it would be interesting to see how NJ recruits responded to him.

Sanders is ahead of most coaches with regard to NIL and the rapid decline of amateur status. CFB players can get up and move in ways NFL players can only dream off. Sanders says "why try to recruit a raw high school OL who needs a couple years to develop, when you can use portal to get an upperclassman for 2 years?" I think GS and other coaches will have to come around to that but its impressive the way Greg finds good guys for likeable teams who even actually like playing together and stay. Sanders hasn't pulled that rabbit out of his hat yer

I'm sure if Father Gregory took over Colorado he would have started season with a lot of the 1-11 team. No way his Colorado beats TCU in first game - or sells out season ticks and scores several TV ratings records. Good chance he would have been 1-11 again.

A problem for Sanders - that GS would also have had - is depth. By season's end Colorado had a lot of injuries. A 195lb safety was stuck playing MLB (then he got hurt).

Sanders at RU is interesting because he would be seen as toxic by some academics who would complain. Rutgers is not a football school the way other B1G teams are. A lot of staff "tolerate" football @ Rutgers. Sanders owns Colorado school top to bottom for most part. President and AD really like him. Sanders says AD Rick George shares his faith and a lot of colleges wouldn't want a coach with gangster crucifix lol. I don't think Sanders would come to RU but it would be interesting to see how NJ recruits responded to him.

Sanders is ahead of most coaches with regard to NIL and the rapid decline of amateur status. CFB players can get up and move in ways NFL players can only dream off. Sanders says "why try to recruit a raw high school OL who needs a couple years to develop, when you can use portal to get an upperclassman for 2 years?" I think GS and other coaches will have to come around to that but its impressive the way Greg finds good guys for likeable teams who even actually like playing together and stay. Sanders hasn't pulled that rabbit out of his hat yer
Sanders latest transfer out said he wants to join a real program that develops players. We’ll see which approach works out better over time.

Sanders latest transfer out said he wants to join a real program that develops players. We’ll see which approach works out better over time.

The transfer was Cormanni McClain - a five star, #17 player nationally and #1 CB.
He arrived in Colorado with a "big man on campus" attitude and didn't think he needed coaching and bench sitting. Sanders wasn't ready to appoint McClain as the next Charles Woodson and they sparked early on.

"The highly-touted two-way "generational" star from Lakeland, Fla. wasn't ready for the next level and needs a few "developmental steps," according to one source. He was in Prime's doghouse for notoriously being late to class, not tuned into film study sessions and had a few character issues.
As a true freshman, McClain had 13 tackles and two PDUs in nine games. He showed flashes of greatness with a start against USC, but also got beat in coverage several times over the course of the season."

The transfer was Cormanni McClain - a five star, #17 player nationally and #1 CB.
He arrived in Colorado with a "big man on campus" attitude and didn't think he needed coaching and bench sitting. Sanders wasn't ready to appoint McClain as the next Charles Woodson and they sparked early on.

"The highly-touted two-way "generational" star from Lakeland, Fla. wasn't ready for the next level and needs a few "developmental steps," according to one source. He was in Prime's doghouse for notoriously being late to class, not tuned into film study sessions and had a few character issues.
As a true freshman, McClain had 13 tackles and two PDUs in nine games. He showed flashes of greatness with a start against USC, but also got beat in coverage several times over the course of the season."

kind of ironic when the latest news out of Colorado was Sander's addressing the entire team about classwork.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT