ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Somerville

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
(Not that anyone noticed, but I took a break for a few days because my temper was getting frayed.)

Yesterday my wife and I drove our new Subaru Forester to Somerville to pick up a document at the Borough Hall. We asked the Borough clerk where to eat. She said, "what country?" We said "Italy!" and she suggested Savor Restaurant. We were very impressed by the vitality of Main Street -- there are many restaurants and interesting shops. The restaurant was marvelous and not even all that expensive although we both had salads, an entree and dessert. And the manager ran after us because I had left my credit card behind!

Somerville is about 60 miles from our home in Cherry Hill. The Forester's nav system wanted us to go up the Turnpike. Presumably we would have been told to exit at Route 9, take River Road to 287, and then go up 287 to Bridgewater. I dislike driving that route; even after the re-construction, I find Route 18 and River Road difficult. So instead we took I-295 to Princeton Pike. I anticipated we would then go to 206 and take 206 up. Instead the GPS put us on Great Road, which was bucolic and went past a lot of rich people's homes (as well as a bunch of private schools. We then connected with the Blondi by-pass and reached Borough Hall via Somerset street.

We were going home at rush hour (actually, it seems like rush hour in NJ is now 24/7!) and the GPS had us leave Great Road at Cherry Valley Road, then took us to Carter Road and from there to 295. I don't know the geography, but it seems to me that the GPS was doing everything possible to route us around Princeton.

I had been anticipating this trip with dread -- but both the journey and the destination were wonderful!

The place is busy on every Friday night. Having the old cars on the streets from Memorial Day to Labor Day helps bring in A LOT of people. My family and I went last Friday. Incredible how much better the place has gotten in recent years.

Somerville has had a great rejuvenation the past 10 years. They did a wonderful job there. Good town.

Next time you could also take 202 down past Flemington to 31 to 295 which is an easy drive but might add extra miles.

The place is busy on every Friday night. Having the old cars on the streets from Memorial Day to Labor Day helps bring in A LOT of people. My family and I went last Friday. Incredible how much better the place has gotten in recent years.
Oh, we were wondering why there were so many classic cars on the streets! Is there some kind of classic auto show that stays in town? My wife used to live in Flemington and she remarked on how much better Somerville looks than, say, twenty years ago.

As I'm sure you know, the borough hall and the public library are in the same building, which was constructed as a home by the richest person in the town in 1888. It passed into the hands of the Elks, which started the public library. The building is quite extraordinary -- but I found the ornate staircase to the restrooms challenging!

Somerville has had a great rejuvenation the past 10 years. They did a wonderful job there. Good town.

Next time you could also take 202 down past Flemington to 31 to 295 which is an easy drive but might add extra miles.
I said this before, Gallagher is an exceptional mayor with a great vision for the community. He was a long-time mayor before becoming a county freeholder/commissioner for several years and now returned to lead town hall once again. I routinely sought his advice and feedback during my tenure.

P.S. about Monty - Did you see the construction on the Promenade/Whole Foods recently? Making good progress! :)

Reactions: BLewis1968
(Not that anyone noticed, but I took a break for a few days because my temper was getting frayed.)

Yesterday my wife and I drove our new Subaru Forester to Somerville to pick up a document at the Borough Hall. We asked the Borough clerk where to eat. She said, "what country?" We said "Italy!" and she suggested Savor Restaurant. We were very impressed by the vitality of Main Street -- there are many restaurants and interesting shops. The restaurant was marvelous and not even all that expensive although we both had salads, an entree and dessert. And the manager ran after us because I had left my credit card behind!

Somerville is about 60 miles from our home in Cherry Hill. The Forester's nav system wanted us to go up the Turnpike. Presumably we would have been told to exit at Route 9, take River Road to 287, and then go up 287 to Bridgewater. I dislike driving that route; even after the re-construction, I find Route 18 and River Road difficult. So instead we took I-295 to Princeton Pike. I anticipated we would then go to 206 and take 206 up. Instead the GPS put us on Great Road, which was bucolic and went past a lot of rich people's homes (as well as a bunch of private schools. We then connected with the Blondi by-pass and reached Borough Hall via Somerset street.

We were going home at rush hour (actually, it seems like rush hour in NJ is now 24/7!) and the GPS had us leave Great Road at Cherry Valley Road, then took us to Carter Road and from there to 295. I don't know the geography, but it seems to me that the GPS was doing everything possible to route us around Princeton.

I had been anticipating this trip with dread -- but both the journey and the destination were wonderful!
Hope you noticed all the preserved land and open space on 601/Great Road and Cherry Valley Road. Lots of hard work and community support to protect it all from unwanted development. Somerset County was also a great partner along the way.

Overall, the greater Princeton area is a beautiful place to live.

This, imo, is the optimal route.

The gps route wouldn’t have been that bad. Presumably, it would instruct you to take Turnpike to Exit 10 287 North, which would also lead to Somerville.

Of course, had the Somerset Freeway been built, it would have connected 295 to 287, but the great people of Princeton did not want it, so it was dropped. Instead, Route 1 becomes a parking lot at times.

Reactions: Zak57
I take great road to work every day. It is a peaceful 14 miles to work.
Somerville is very nice
There use to be a Cuban restaurant there (that i loved), but it closed :(.

Indeed, the westerly route works pretty well for the scenario presented.
Presumably, it would instruct you to take Turnpike to Exit 10 287 North, which would also lead to Somerville.
This. GPS probably skips Exit 9 to Rt 18 anyway and keeps it simple by routing up to Exit 10 to 287 directly. That usually works better in most situations, even if longer distance.

Reactions: rutgersal
Agreed, live in Bridgewater with family in SJ, when I head down that way I usually take this route. Except I turn off at the Quick Chek at Harbourton Rd to get to 295.

Is there some kind of classic auto show that stays in town?
Yes, every Friday night in the Summer, people with classic cars line main street. They also have small concerts on Division St (road that is closed to traffic) Saturday nights and outdoor family movie nights during a few nights in the summer .

Can really eat there at a different restaurant every night of the week and not have a bad meal.

I said this before, Gallagher is an exceptional mayor with a great vision for the community. He was a long-time mayor before becoming a county freeholder/commissioner for several years and now returned to lead town hall once again. I routinely sought his advice and feedback during my tenure.

P.S. about Monty - Did you see the construction on the Promenade/Whole Foods recently? Making good progress! :)

I'll be over in that area next week so I'll check it out!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
If you rather Italian this is your play:

Voted
"BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN SOMERSET COUNTY"
"BEST PIZZERIA IN SOMERSET COUNTY"
"BEST FAMILY RESTAURANT IN SOMERSET COUNTY"

Reactions: Section124
I'll be over in that area next week so I'll check it out!
That's the last of my big projects that wasn't completed yet. So happy construction is well underway. Finally! :)

Took a long, long time to get Whole Foods onboard.

Reactions: Zak57
The old owner of Scampi’s is a family friend, his son opened Savor which my all
accounts is pretty good

Next time in Somerville, hit up Alfonso’s, or venture across 206 to Raritan and go to Uncle Vinny’s clam bar and grab a pie at DeLucia’s (El Prez went there and loved it)

Also, Girasole in Bound Brook, a ten minute drive from Somerville, is fantastic

Reactions: okieKnight908

Whoo-pe-doo for my Suburu Retired.

I love my brand new Crosstrek Wilderness.

We know Flemington and Routes 31 and 202 well -- we used to have to travel there from Cherry Hill. We thought the Princeton Pike route would be more fun because it was new to us -- and we were right! I'm pretty sure the route via Flemington would have been more time as well as more miles.

The gps route wouldn’t have been that bad. Presumably, it would instruct you to take Turnpike to Exit 10 287 North, which would also lead to Somerville.

Of course, had the Somerset Freeway been built, it would have connected 295 to 287, but the great people of Princeton did not want it, so it was dropped. Instead, Route 1 becomes a parking lot at times.
I could have lived with the GPS taking us to exit 10 and then 287. But my guess is that it would not have done that. When we plan a trip to Morristown, the GPS invariably tries to take us by Exit 9, River Road and 287. (That's why I've asked a couple of times whether 287 can be picked up at exit 10). Perhaps it would have been different for a trip to Bridgewater, but I didn't want to take the chance. Beside, going via Princeton Pike was more fun.

If you rather Italian this is your play:

Voted
"BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN SOMERSET COUNTY"
"BEST PIZZERIA IN SOMERSET COUNTY"
"BEST FAMILY RESTAURANT IN SOMERSET COUNTY"

The borough clerk (our source) said that Savor is more upscale. We enjoyed it a great deal, as I said in my original post. Maybe we'll try Alfonso's next time.

The old owner of Scampi’s is a family friend, his son opened Savor which my all
accounts is pretty good

Next time in Somerville, hit up Alfonso’s, or venture across 206 to Raritan and go to Uncle Vinny’s clam bar and grab a pie at DeLucia’s (El Prez went there and loved it)

Also, Girasole in Bound Brook, a ten minute drive from Somerville, is fantastic
Thanks! We thought Savor was a lot better than "pretty good."

I take great road to work every day. It is a peaceful 14 miles to work.
Somerville is very nice
There use to be a Cuban restaurant there (that i loved), but it closed :(.
That Cuban restaurant was very good, if it’s the place I’m thinking of (a couple blocks west of Alphonsos and on the opposite side of the street). I was bummed that it closed.

Reactions: Leonard23
The borough clerk (our source) said that Savor is more upscale. We enjoyed it a great deal, as I said in my original post. Maybe we'll try Alfonso's next time.
Alphonsos is casual. But very good, IMO. Is worth ordering a pizza in addiction to whatever entrees you might order.

Whoo-pe-doo for my Suburu Retired.

I love my brand new Crosstrek Wilderness.
Just bought the Wife a new Ascent.

And yes, @retired711, I noticed. 😉

Reactions: zappaa

We go out in Somerville a lot - great restaurants and decent shopping (especially antiques). Love Savor - just met friends there a few weeks ago and they were impressed. Da Filippo's, Verve, Origin, Kyma, Tapastry and Division Cafe are all worth a visit as is the nearby Duke Farms in Hillsborough.

Oh, we were wondering why there were so many classic cars on the streets! Is there some kind of classic auto show that stays in town? My wife used to live in Flemington and she remarked on how much better Somerville looks than, say, twenty years ago.

As I'm sure you know, the borough hall and the public library are in the same building, which was constructed as a home by the richest person in the town in 1888. It passed into the hands of the Elks, which started the public library. The building is quite extraordinary -- but I found the ornate staircase to the restrooms challenging!
Classic cars line the street every Friday night from Memorial Day through Labor Day. They have been doing it for more than 30 years.

Classic cars line the street every Friday night from Memorial Day through Labor Day. They have been doing it for more than 30 years.
Metuchen does the same thing once a month on Wednesdays and has also been doing it for a few decades - I think a decent number of towns do it, but not sure...

Reactions: goru1869
If you want a good cocktail either pre or post dinner gotta hit, up Verve. Those guys are true mixologist artists. A somewhat close second is the bar at Wolfgang’s.
As someone mentioned take a few minutes and head into Raritan. Uncle Vinnies is fantastic. Get there early. Small place and they buy the fish daily and run out of popular items. Boulevard Seafood is also a good choice if seafood is on you mind.
Somerville is great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT