ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Starting a Whiskey Collection

KeithK7624

All Conference
Sep 3, 2006
Dunedin, Florida
Just a bit of background, I'm a boozer but I know nothing about whikseys. I stick to vodka or gin and the only time I do have whiskey is when I'm shooting some Jameson or Jack Fire.

Now I'm living in India and entertain frequently. Everyone here loves their Whiskey and I simply never have what people prefer. I always thought whiskey was whiskey and didn't matter the type.

So i want to start a collection and I figure the basics are where to begin. Besides the below types, am I missing any essentials? If you want to make a reccomendation, I'm not looking for anything cheap, but nothing over the top either. Mid range.

Single Malt Scotch
Blended Scotch
Bourbon
Rye Whiskey
Irish Whiskey
Japanese Whiskey
Canadian Whiskey

Thanks in advance!

01panther-piss.jpg

Reactions: jabbs1
I know absolutely nothing about this, so really can't help you out.
Single Malt Scotch
Okay, first up, how sophisticated are the people you're entertaining when it comes to this? Because there is a lot of variety. If you were looking for a good start here, I'd grab a Lowland, Highland and Islay to start.

Lowland: Auchentoshin, Glenkinchie

Highland: Clynelish, Glendronach, Glenmorangie

Islay: Ardbeg, Laphroig, Bunnahabhain, Bowmore

Minimum age should be 10yo - 12-16 is probably your best bet, older than that and you'll be shelling out a lot of money.
Blended Scotch
Johnnie Walker Green if you can get it there. Cheaper but still satisfactory is Johnnie Walker Black. For mixed drinks use Johnnie Walker Red.
Although I have some in my collection, I think others on here are more experienced with Bourbon.

That being said, Blanton's Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden's
Rye Whiskey
For the basics: Jim Beam Rye or Wild Turkey Rye

There are other, more expensive ryes, but that's a good start.
Irish Whiskey
Red Breast
Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt (I definitely like this one.)
Jameson 18 Year Old (got this in the office)
Japanese Whiskey
Canadian Whiskey
Can't help you too much with these as I don't have any in my collection.

Reactions: RC71 and RUnTeX
My FIL and BIL are both pretty big scotch drinkers. FIL always picks up at duty free when he travels overseas. Up to a couple years ago it seemed the big thing over there was a trend toward single malt, while almost blowing off blended scotch. More recently in their social circle has been going back to consuming both single malt as well as blended. Black Label is pretty much a staple on that front and enjoyed by many. Indian whisky has been gaining momentum but I don't know anything about what the popular brands are over there.

Single Malt Scotch - if you haven't gotten into these yet don't go too crazy and drop a ton of money. Macallan 12, Balvenie 12, Glenlivet 12 or Oban are all solid scotches that aren't too expensive.

Blended Scotch- Johnny Black

Bourbon- Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden, Jack Daniels Gold 27

Rye Whiskey- Not a huge fan. Bulleit is fine.

Irish Whiskey- Bushmills

Japanese Whiskey- Suntori is good. Yamazaki if you want to spend a little more.

Canadian Whiskey- cant help you here

Reactions: MikeRU09
Although I have some in my collection, I think others on here are more experienced with Bourbon.

That being said, Blanton's Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden's

These are all good. I would add Buffalo Trace for everyday drinkin' bourbon and its older brother Eagle Rare for more discriminating guests. If you want to key on the difference between rye and no rye in the mash bill, grab a bottle of Maker's Mark, which is a "wheated bourbon" and contains no rye. If you like it and want something a tad more refined, Maker's 46 is a bit upscale.

No, it's not, unless you can't get anything else in India (or Indiana).

For rye, my top recommendation is Dad's Hat. Other good ryes include Whistle Pig or Sazarac (which has a lower rye content, and therefore might appeal to those who are not used to the spiciness of high rye content whiskeys).

Reactions: bigmatt718

Bulleit is not fine. Not for rye, not for anything.

Bulleit is what we call an "MGP". It's distilled by Midwest Grain Products at their Lawrenceburg, Indiana factory. They distill at the highest possible ABV take-offs and use the cheapest possible ingredients, which are ground to flour prior to mashing.

A number of bourbon and rye labels are MGP-distilled, including many which claim to be "craft" beverages.

When it comes from a million gallon a year factory that looks like this, it ain't "craft":
MGP-Lawrenceburg-Distillery.jpg

Just a bit of background, I'm a boozer but I know nothing about whikseys. I stick to vodka or gin and the only time I do have whiskey is when I'm shooting some Jameson or Jack Fire.

Now I'm living in India and entertain frequently. Everyone here loves their Whiskey and I simply never have what people prefer. I always thought whiskey was whiskey and didn't matter the type.

So i want to start a collection and I figure the basics are where to begin. Besides the below types, am I missing any essentials? If you want to make a reccomendation, I'm not looking for anything cheap, but nothing over the top either. Mid range.

Single Malt Scotch
Blended Scotch
Bourbon
Rye Whiskey
Irish Whiskey
Japanese Whiskey
Canadian Whiskey

Thanks in advance!

For single malt, it really depends on your taste. For example, if you like smoky whisky, you might choose Ardbeg. For stronger peat, bordering on medicinal, perhaps Laphroig. Something a bit sweeter with no peat? I'd look at a Dalwhinnie. All mid-range price points.

I just. Tried a bourbon that I really enjoyed and is also a mid range price point. Willet Pot Still Reserve. Reasonable price for what you get, in my view, very distinct bottle for a collection.

Yamasaki 12 is very good, 18 out of this world. But so are the prices, Very different price points than the above.

For single malt, it really depends on your taste. For example, if you like smoky whisky, you might choose Ardbeg. For stronger peat, bordering on medicinal, perhaps Laphroig. Something a bit sweeter with no peat? I'd look at a Dalwhinnie. All mid-range price points.

I just. Tried a bourbon that I really enjoyed and is also a mid range price point. Willet Pot Still Reserve. Reasonable price for what you get, in my view, very distinct bottle for a collection.

Yamasaki 12 is very good, 18 out of this world. But so are the prices, Very different price points than the above.

Willett is a great story. Their technique is old school - open fermentation, a (roughly) 1,000 gallon pot still which pours out straight into the cisterns used for filling barrels. They're distilling to barrel proof, which means a goodly amount of the grain comes through into the new make spirit.

A lot of good recommendations thus far. My favorite single malt has always been Balvenie (admittedly I’m not big single malt guy). For bourbon, there are plenty of good ones not too pricey. Basil Hayden’s, Jack Daniels single barrel (100), Makers 46 are all very good. For everyday sipping, I like Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark. Chivas Regal 25 is an excellent blend (regular Chivas is good and cheap also). Crown Royal is decent Canadien whiskey.

Japanese Whiskey I'd go Yamazaki 12 Year Reserve. Japan is fully on the whiskey map now as some of the most sought after whiskeys in the world are from Japan.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. In regards to types of Whiskey Am I missing any staples other than the ones I listed?
There are also whiskies from other countries: Australia and India probably becoming more important. I've never had either. In the US there is also Tennessee whiskey, which is just charcoal filtered bourbon (Jack Daniels being the prevalent brand) and wheat whiskey (which is >51% wheat, as opposed to bourbon and rye, which are >51% corn or rye). I've never had wheat whiskey.

There are also whiskies from other countries: Australia and India probably becoming more important. I've never had either. In the US there is also Tennessee whiskey, which is just charcoal filtered bourbon (Jack Daniels being the prevalent brand) and wheat whiskey (which is >51% wheat, as opposed to bourbon and rye, which are >51% corn or rye). I've never had wheat whiskey.

There's also corn whiskey, which by law must be aged on *uncharred* new American Oak barrels (as opposed to charred, for all other types).

Corn whiskey is an acquired taste, since it has a tendency to hit the palate like a mouthful of lawn clippings.

There's also corn whiskey, which by law must be aged on *uncharred* new American Oak barrels (as opposed to charred, for all other types).

Corn whiskey is an acquired taste, since it has a tendency to hit the palate like a mouthful of lawn clippings.
Corn whiskey in charred oak is just bourbon. Corn whiskey in uncharred oak, now thats a new one. I'd love to try wheat whiskey at some point.

Last edited:
I started a whiskey collection, I ended up with an empty bottle collection.

The highest rated single malts in the world come from Taiwan now... Kavalan Solist series.

Well on the other side of the world you missed the two feet of snow in Byram. I think most of town has power back now.

I was like you not too many years ago as my exposure was standard Jameson & Jack Daniels - not my taste at all. I started with some Bushmills which was a bit more palatable for me. Then found Tullamore Dew and finally Redbreast sold me on Irish whiskey (at least some of it).

Now I'm an Irish Whiskey fan - Redbreast, Green Spot, Yellow Spot, Teeling, Tullamore Dew Phoenix are a few of my favorites. I've heard great things about Walsh Whiskeys (The Irishman & Writer's Tears) from a guy that knows my taste but have not tried them yet.

I've started trying more bourbons, scotch, and a couple Ryes but haven't found any that have really stuck with me yet. I'm going to take some notes from this thread too and sample some suggestions.

Well on the other side of the world you missed the two feet of snow in Byram. I think most of town has power back now.

I was like you not too many years ago as my exposure was standard Jameson & Jack Daniels - not my taste at all. I started with some Bushmills which was a bit more palatable for me. Then found Tullamore Dew and finally Redbreast sold me on Irish whiskey (at least some of it).

Now I'm an Irish Whiskey fan - Redbreast, Green Spot, Yellow Spot, Teeling, Tullamore Dew Phoenix are a few of my favorites. I've heard great things about Walsh Whiskeys (The Irishman & Writer's Tears) from a guy that knows my taste but have not tried them yet.

I've started trying more bourbons, scotch, and a couple Ryes but haven't found any that have really stuck with me yet. I'm going to take some notes from this thread too and sample some suggestions.
I saw the pictures on snapchat. Glad I wasn't there. My house in netcong didn't lose power on either storm even though two doors down and the rest of the street did.

Speaking of India, I heard Amrut single malt is pretty good.
I went to the booze shop today and asked about it. I know the owner by name and he said it was ehh at best then tried selling me something else more expensive. Another guy in line said you can tell it's not like a traditional single malt. Indians tend to talk down about their own products so idk if this was the case or not. I picked up a bottle for 3700 rupees (about $60) so we shall see.

I went to the booze shop today and asked about it. I know the owner by name and he said it was ehh at best then tried selling me something else more expensive. Another guy in line said you can tell it's not like a traditional single malt. Indians tend to talk down about their own products so idk if this was the case or not. I picked up a bottle for 3700 rupees (about $60) so we shall see.
my very immature and week old collection consists of:
Glenlivet 12
Johnny Black
Chivas 12
Amrut

I was in Dubai for a day or two so picked up a few in duty free. My next trip Ill add some more

Bourbons: Jefferson’s Reserve, Black Saddle, Garrison, Angel’s Envy, Basil Hayden

Scotch: MacCallen

Irish: Redbreast

Japanese: Yamazaki (Suntory)

Yes, I lean bourbons

my very immature and week old collection consists of:
Glenlivet 12
Johnny Black
Chivas 12
Amrut
That's a good start, but when you run out of Black or Chivas, just stick with one as they tend to be interchangeable.

Here's a shot of our very fancy bar at the Spring Game in 2016:

zpZMs66.jpg

That's a good start, but when you run out of Black or Chivas, just stick with one as they tend to be interchangeable.

Here's a shot of our very fancy bar at the Spring Game in 2016:

zpZMs66.jpg
That Four Roses Small Batch is money as is the Blanton's Single Barrel Reserve. I need to build up my scotch knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT