ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mixed Drinks!

Gin & Tonic with Tanq
Dirty Martini with Saphire
Margarita/Jalapeno Marg with Patron or Casamigos
Rum punch (great on the beach)
Caipirinha (brazlian drink that tastes great and will knock you on your a$$)
I’m not that into mixed drinks, but gotta agree with the caiparinhas. Fantastic drink. Or if you’re out of the sometimes hard-to-find cachaca, I’ve made caiparoskas (switch for vodka).

The Rum Punch my wife makes is an asskicker. I would say it is about 85% alcohol and yet, you don't taste it at all.
She does change it up a bit though. Instead of Bacardi 151- she goes full Jamaican with Wray & Nephew Overproof white rum - instead of a dark rum like Meyers- she uses Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and then a coconut rum. She adds Jamison as an extra kicker. On a hot summer day sitting at the pool- it is easy to go for a 2nd and 3rd glass but watch out...We did go through 20 gallons of it at our wedding a couple of years ago though. Along with open bar and two kegs of beer.

Anyone that has not tried Wray&Nephew Overproof should give it a try. But, don't expect a normal Rum taste from it. Completely different taste. And if you try it neat or as a shot- 😳 lol it starts very sweet- almost like sugar cane but followed right behind that sweetness is a kick that makes you sweat.

Speaking of it- Over the years- she has also become our neighborhood "go-to" if someone gets a cold or flu. Warm overproof, honey and lemon...And we are talking about 2 fingers of the rum- and very important to be heated. You take this, puts you to sleep for a good 8 hours and a heavy sweat. You wake up feeling a million times better.

The Rum Punch my wife makes is an asskicker. I would say it is about 85% alcohol and yet, you don't taste it at all.
She does change it up a bit though. Instead of Bacardi 151- she goes full Jamaican with Wray & Nephew Overproof white rum - instead of a dark rum like Meyers- she uses Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and then a coconut rum. She adds Jamison as an extra kicker. On a hot summer day sitting at the pool- it is easy to go for a 2nd and 3rd glass but watch out...We did go through 20 gallons of it at our wedding a couple of years ago though. Along with open bar and two kegs of beer.

Anyone that has not tried Wray&Nephew Overproof should give it a try. But, don't expect a normal Rum taste from it. Completely different taste. And if you try it neat or as a shot- 😳 lol it starts very sweet- almost like sugar cane but followed right behind that sweetness is a kick that makes you sweat.

Speaking of it- Over the years- she has also become our neighborhood "go-to" if someone gets a cold or flu. Warm overproof, honey and lemon...And we are talking about 2 fingers of the rum- and very important to be heated. You take this, puts you to sleep for a good 8 hours and a heavy sweat. You wake up feeling a million times better.
We've got Wray & Nephew in our bar downstairs. Introduced to it on one of my early trips to Jamaica. We pretty much only use it when we're making Rum Punch. Potent stuff.

Speaking of rum drinks...

One side of my extended family meets up at the NJ shore every year. One of the traditions that has evolved is mixing up a large batch of Mai-Tai (which, among several other things, has two different types of rum in them) that we haul to the beach around 2 or 3pm or so. Intended to be served over lots and lots of ice, they make for a great beach drink. I've mixed up batches of Mai Tai, using the beach recipe, for a few hot-day RU tailgates over the years as well.

Well-made Mai-Tais are very tasty and super-easy to drink while still being quite strong. A very dangerous combination on the same level as well-made Long Island Iced Teas. One bonus is they replace a lot of lost Vitamin C as you drink. But the downside is you really, really have to watch consumption. Definitely one of those drinks that you don't notice how drunk you are until it's too late.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
We've got Wray & Nephew in our bar downstairs. Introduced to it on one of my early trips to Jamaica. We pretty much only use it when we're making Rum Punch. Potent stuff.
Nothing like the look on someone's face if you give them a shot of it. lol What do you think of the taste? I know a lot of people that just don't like it but I think that is because they expect a typical Rum flavor.

Not a fan of the taste. My wife hates it...except in Rum Punch.
Some of the locals down on the island drink it straight. I don't know anyone who enjoys drinking it straight up here.
Some Jamaicans have actually told us that we should only use it in Rum Punch. Several of my close friends are bartenders and they have tried it and agreed that it's only for Punch.
BTW, now you've got me thinking of making some Punch, putting on some reggae music, and rolling one.
Ah...I miss Negril.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Not a fan of the taste. My wife hates it...except in Rum Punch.
Some of the locals down on the island drink it straight. I don't know anyone who enjoys drinking it straight up here.
Some Jamaicans have actually told us that we should only use it in Rum Punch. Several of my close friends are bartenders and they have tried it and agreed that it's only for Punch.
BTW, now you've got me thinking of making some Punch, putting on some reggae music, and rolling one.
Ah...I miss Negril.
I enjoy the taste but agree it isn't a rum for on the rocks. It is good with Coke though. Besides the RP- the wife uses it a lot with baking- her rum cake is killer. she will also put some splashes of either W&N or Red Lable wine on the top of her rum cakes.

As for Negril- I went there with my sons about a month before meeting my now wife. We had such a great time. They were only 11 and 13 at the time so went to the family friendly Beaches. It was great for the purpose of hanging out with my boys but not so much fun when they went to bed at 10ish or so as the resort was pretty much dead quiet at that point and quite honestly, no milfs there... lol
We now always go to the other side and stay in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios as that is where my wife grew up...No matter where you go though- Jamaica is one of the great Island vacation spots! Always great drinks

Reactions: Kbee3
I enjoy the taste but agree it isn't a rum for on the rocks. It is good with Coke though. Besides the RP- the wife uses it a lot with baking- her rum cake is killer. she will also put some splashes of either W&N or Red Lable wine on the top of her rum cakes.

As for Negril- I went there with my sons about a month before meeting my now wife. We had such a great time. They were only 11 and 13 at the time so went to the family friendly Beaches. It was great for the purpose of hanging out with my boys but not so much fun when they went to bed at 10ish or so as the resort was pretty much dead quiet at that point and quite honestly, no milfs there... lol
We now always go to the other side and stay in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios as that is where my wife grew up...No matter where you go though- Jamaica is one of the great Island vacation spots! Always great drinks
Until Covid came along we would visit Negril at least one a year. We were married there in 2000. I've been going since long before I met my wife. For me it's something like 40 years. The first place I visited there...The Charela Inn has long since been sold and changed its name. My first sunset and my first walk on the beach, where an old lady sitting with a big pot on a table called out to me " Mushroom Tea today, darling" sold me immediately on the place.
There's a special vibe in Negril.
We now only go to adults-only resorts there. Hedonism II before it went downhill fast Eventually settled on Couples. I love a swim-up bar. And yes, Couples is pretty tame at night. But there's always plenty of interesting places a short drive away. Every time we go there a new place has opened. And there's always a new resort further down the beach from the town of Negril itself. I liked it better when it was way less developed.
Not sure when we'll ever get back, as my wife won't even consider getting on a plane until she's convinced the Covid threat is in the rearview mirror. It's gonna be a while.
BTW, I've not heard good things about Ocho Rios.

Until Covid came along we would visit Negril at least one a year. We were married there in 2000. I've been going since long before I met my wife. For me it's something like 40 years. The first place I visited there...The Charela Inn has long since been sold and changed its name. My first sunset and my first walk on the beach, where an old lady sitting with a big pot on a table called out to me " Mushroom Tea today, darling" sold me immediately on the place.
There's a special vibe in Negril.
We now only go to adults-only resorts there. Hedonism II before it went downhill fast Eventually settled on Couples. I love a swim-up bar. And yes, Couples is pretty tame at night. But there's always plenty of interesting places a short drive away. Every time we go there a new place has opened. And there's always a new resort further down the beach from the town of Negril itself. I liked it better when it was way less developed.
Not sure when we'll ever get back, as my wife won't even consider getting on a plane until she's convinced the Covid threat is in the rearview mirror. It's gonna be a while.
BTW, I've not heard good things about Ocho Rios.
Ocho Rios has gone way downhill...My wife went to HS there while she lived with her Uncle who was equivalent to what we would call a Mayor there. She actually grew up most of her younger years at the Runaway Beach Resort in Runaway Bay which is now Jewels. Her Dad owned and ran a bar/restaurant on premise that was only for the workers there. I believe she stayed there with him between the ages of 5-10. Funny thing is that his little bar would often get the "famous" to hang there instead of the resort bars and night clubs. She met the likes of Mick Jager and Jimmy Buffet at her Dad's place. She used to run around the resort, hang with the visiting families. Everyone loved her there...she also ran a little scam with her Dad. He would hold crab races and she would try to gather up the resort visitors to bet on the races- of course she would play the little innocent cute local kid who would tell them which crab to bet on...which was always the crab her Dad told her to tell them. Which was always the slowest one. And by chance that crab won, he would offer to sell them their winning crab to take home for $5...

Anyway- Ocho Rios is awful right now. It is almost like a true 3rd world country. You really don't feel safe going into town or market. I few times some locals would start to give us a hard time, that is until she would unleash a torrent of patois on them and they figured out she was really a local. We spent a day this last trip trying to find her Dad's gravesite. The cemetery he was buried in was closed down in 1998 and it had over grown into a full "jungle"- we had to hire a couple of locals with machete's to help us find it.

Though, Moon Palace there in Ocho Rios is one of the nicest AI's I have ever been to. Just got to stay on resort unless on an excursion. And swim up bars are always the best.
And rum on top of rum on top of more rum...a red stripe or two as well.

Reactions: Kbee3
I’ll add a vodka drink called the transfusion!
Couple ounces of vodka
Couple ounces of ginger ale
Welsh grape juice (1/2 the amount of the vodka )
Splash of lime juice
Serve over ice. Garnish with a lime if you have it

Last edited:
Dry Rob Roy on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

Skip and Go Naked - mix 12 oz. can of beer with a can of frozen lemonade, then fill the empty lemonade can with whiskey and dump that in. Obviously not a mixed drink but a batch of mixed drinks.

I mix a well aged single malt scotch with a splash of water - aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, heaven!

But I am partial to a White Russian and an Alabama Slammer, just haven't had either in a long, long time.

White Russian is a helluva good after dinner drink.

One of the sweet martinis I make at the bar.

3/4 oz Stoli O
3/4 oz Stoli Rasp
3/4 oz Stoli Blue
1 oz Pineapple Juice

Shake the living crap out of it. Use a metal tin to do it. Pour into Martini glass and drip a little grenadine in it so it settles onto the bottom of the glass.

Or try a Hanky Panky. This drink won first place in Vegas bartending contest a long time ago.

Load glass with ice
1/2 oz Malibu
1/2 oz Razz Ma Tazz
1/2 oz Amaretto
Fill with Pineapple juice If you want it a little stronger, replace Razz Ma Tazz with Southern Comfort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT