ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Not emotional, just macro economic data. Core and wage inflation continues to increase. The Fed doesn't dare support the market until inflation gets under control and that will likely take years to get it to 2% CPI. The Fed admits to that. Not talking about you but most have figured out what a big change it will be for the Fed not support the market as it has been doing for the last 15 or so years. Hate cliche's but don't fight the Fed, right? As I said, it take awhile for this market to unwind, but the assets bubble is deflating, similar to the 2000 dot com bust. Not a perfect analogy of course; some unknowns like all the "free" cash on the sidelines which support the bloated market, but even that will contract as the Fed runs off its' balance sheet. Not saying sell everything, that obviously rarely works, but the downside pressures are fairly significant.

Yes, but the "E" part of PE will contract, just like you saw with Walmart and Target this week.
Walmart and Target will be fine. Energy-based inflation hit quickly due to the invasion and they didn't have much time to react to it. Once Putin is done Putin'ing, oil will be back below $70 and all will be good with retail again.

The rich don’t buy Tesla. $6 oil don’t bother them but fake leather and plastic does. For Tesla, it’s all about the upper middle class or wanna-bes.
Have to wonder if Musk realizes the potential negative impact on Tesla should he complete the acquisition of Twitter and re-opens that forum to disruptive messengers that are perceived to be hostile to democracy. Teslas sales may drop off, per the reaction of its traditional support base, those middle and upper middle class prospective buyers. Amidst emerging EV options, those folks may boycott Musk/Tesla. Of those Tesla owners I know, they are markedly progressive, politically. Interesting dynamic will emerge.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Walmart and Target will be fine. Energy-based inflation hit quickly due to the invasion and they didn't have much time to react to it. Once Putin is done Putin'ing, oil will be back below $70 and all will be good with retail again.
Mentioned this yesterday, but even if Ukraine is able to drive out Russia, if Putin remains in power, then the Russian oil will remain off limits.

And that does speak to these issues, inflation, supply chain, the Russian invasion, all dragging on much longer then anticipated.

If the -17% return for the S&P holds this would be the 4th worst annual return since the Great Depression.

Fair to say there is a lot already baked in.

The 4 worst years of inflation prior to this run occurred between 1979-1982.

The S&P returns in those years were 18%-32%- negative 5%- 21%.

So if we want to compare era's this year might be akin to 1981, with a negative return(we are currently at negative 17% so some catch up is likely in this comparison), but overall the market did well during that run of inflation.

I think where you are in the market is also important to consider. I'll look deeper but I bet oil companies did quite well then, and they are doing quite well now as well.

Absolutely. Think there may have been a paradigm shift in investing/making money. No more artificially low rates, balance sheet getting rolled off, no more Fed Put, no more TINA. Probably energy inflation here permanently. Tranition Green was always going to be inflationary, because someone has to pay for it. Electricity prices going up with more EV's. Oil companies not drilling ect. Definitely 1980's comes to mind., Largely a sideways decade overall if I remember correctly. Who knows, but you have to consider that the rules have changed, significantly.

Last edited:
Some of that's true, but we were facing historically high inflation even before Russian invaded the Ukraine. The increase in the money supply over the last three years had to give rise to some inflation. Of course we have this big Boomer generation retiring and that should;d be deflationary over time. See Japan. Interesting discussion. Losing the Fed Put is a big deal for the market though, no if, ands or buts about that.

Absolutely. Possibly think there's been a paradigm shift in investing/making money. No more artificially low rates, balance sheet getting rolled off, no more Fed Put, no more TINA. Probably energy inflation here permanently. Tranition Green was always going to be inflationary, because someone has to pay for it. Electricity prices going up with more EV's. Oil companies not drilling ect. Definitely 1980's comes to mind., Largely a sideways decade overall if I remember correctly. Who knows, but you have to consider that the rules possibly have changed.
The S&P just about tripled in the 80's.

For many companies yes, and maybe even for the S&P overall, but not for all companies.
True. Blue chip value actually didn't do too bad during the dot come bust. And moderate inflation has historically been good for these stocks. Like many things, all depends on your exposure.

Some of that's true, but we were facing historically high inflation even before Russian invaded the Ukraine. The increase in the money supply over the last three years had to give rise to some inflation. Of course we have this big Boomer generation retiring and that should;d be deflationary over time. See Japan. Interesting discussion. Losing the Fed Put is a big deal for the market though, no if, ands or buts about that.
The current inflation is the worst we have seen since the 70's/early 80's. But it was much worse during that stretch, significantly higher annual inflation, and it lasted 8 years.. Of course we need to pull ourselves out of this, but this is still not comparable.

People saying the current inflation is "historic", but it's kind of not. The worst in a long while's though.

True. Blue chip value actually didn't do too bad during the dot come bust. And moderate inflation has historically been good for these stocks. Like many things, all depends on your exposure.
Way back in the early days of this thread I looked through some stocks that performed well in the bubble bust. Utlities and defense stocks, if I remember correctly, did quite well.

Daq up, and S&P once again bounced off that high 3800's level.

One of these times that support either breaks or the bounce leads a sustained run.

The S&P just about tripled in the 80's.
Off course big recession in circa 1980. Guess I was thinking the 70's, with stagflation.

The current inflation is the worst we have seen since the 70's/early 80's. But it was much worse during that stretch, significantly higher annual inflation, and it lasted 8 years.. Of course we need to pull ourselves out of this, but this is still not comparable.

People saying the current inflation is "historic", but it's kind of not. The worst in a long while's though.
Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. Spending has kept up pretty well, despite the high inflation, but if it goes one and on, like the 70's, it won't, obviously. I suspect people are starting to tighten purse strings now. Anyway, interesting discussion.

Off course big recession in circa 1980. Guess I was thinking the 70's, with stagflation.

Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. Spending has kept up pretty well, despite the high inflation, but if it goes one and on, like the 70's, it won't, obviously. I suspect people are starting to tighten purse strings now. Anyway, interesting discussion.
I work retail, and the cost increases is driving my boss crazy. I think if he owned the business in the 70's he would have went beserk.

Not even close to oversold. Revision to the means possible an S&P below 3000. Historically high inflation that will continue through the year. The Fed increased the money supply by 40% over three years. That's more then the last twenty years! More money chasing finite goods, and for a number of reasons the quantity of those goods can't be increased. Artificially low rates always create assets bubbles, and we've had 10+ years of such rates. Asset bubbles in stocks. Now an asset bubble in real estate and commodities. Supply chain hiccups, war. Rates rising and that will continue to rise much higher. No more "free"money for unprofitable corporations. Rates generally take 10-24 months to effect demand, and rates usually have to raised to the level of inflation. The Fed soon to be rolling off its' balance sheet. Send bond yields higher, competition for stocks. Profits being squeezed, purses tightened. No more Fed Put. No more TINA. Soon no more FOMO. No, it'lll go much lower. This is a major market bubble being corrected, akin to the 2000 dot com bust. It may take a long time to unwind.
Really good and accurate post.

Only 3 times has the S&P been down more then 17% in a year since the great depression.

2008 down 37%, the next year up 26%
2002 down 22% the next year up 28%
1974 down 27% the next year up 37%.

Now full disclosure. 2002 was proceeded by 2 red years, and 1974 was proceeded by a negative year as well. But another twist is those were the only periods since the great depression where there were multiple years of negative S&P returns.

Only 3 times has the S&P down more then 17% in a year since the great depression.

Now full disclosure. 2002 was proceeded by 2 red years, and 1974 was proceeded by a negative year as well. But another twist is those were the only periods since the great depression where there were multiple years of negative S&P returns.
You have to dig deeper and give us several years data after the down year. If the market goes down 37% in a year, it needs to go up 74% the next year to be break even, the the 26% rise still hasn't made up for the previous year's loss.

AAPL may prove to be the bell weather for the overall market. When AAPL stabilizes and gets support and edges up, the markets will be near or at their lows. After that, though, I'd be inclined to look at buying into stable, profitable companies vs indexes. At least for a couple years.

You have to dig deeper and give us several years data after the down year. If the market goes down 37% in a year, it needs to go up 74% the next year to be break even, the the 26% rise still hasn't made up for the previous year's loss.
There is truth to what you say, but I can't go back in time to take my money out to prior to the dip. I've already ridden that escalator down.

It's about looking ahead, if my options are be in the market and ride the escalator back up, or be out of the market, then the choice is pretty easy.

Last edited:
AAPL may prove to be the bell weather for the overall market. When AAPL stabilizes and gets support and edges up, the markets will be near or at their lows. After that, though, I'd be inclined to look at buying into stable, profitable companies vs indexes. At least for a couple years.
$136 might be the line in the sand. Though I've heard some say $125.

Good chat, very appreciated.
Inflation crested last week and will likely be heading down with the May data point. Inflation started blowing up last April/May, so the base effect is now working in our favor (instead of being compared to the artificial COVID lows). My bet is that inflation comes down much quicker than expected and the Fed become less hawkish.

Big money, no whammies! :)

Way back in the early days of this thread I looked through some stocks that performed well in the bubble bust. Utlities and defense stocks, if I remember correctly, did quite well.
Very true. Ha, ha, utilities and oil have done better than bonds!

Only 3 times has the S&P been down more then 17% in a year since the great depression.

In the context of high inflation, rising rates, the Fed offloading balance sheet, what would be the catalyst for the market going up in, for example, 2023-24? Maybe recovery from a bad recession where the market overshot the downside? Maybe some deflationary pressures like Boomers retiring? I don't know. Just curious what you think.

I mean, wasn't the Fed there as a backstop in '02 and '08 to stimulate the economy with lowers rates? Probably in '74 too, although that was a bit of a yo-yo decade with Fed policy. I just don't see that happening today, because they have done so much recently in stimulating the economy and increasing the money supply. Next inflation readings will be telling.

One bright spot, the downturn is happening mid election cycle. Probably guaranteed of 2 1/2 years political gridlock. Politicians won't do anything to screw up the recovery, allowing Fed to clean up its' mistakes. Ha, ha, I'm cynical about politicians.

The converse of that, is China invades Taiwan. That would be a bit of bad news that could really ding the market.
Don't go all CL on me now! :)

If something like that happens, we will have problems. People forget, the dot.com bust wasn't as big of a deal as folks make it out to be (beyond the tech sector). In isolation, it was a bear, but probably not atypical to other downturns. What made it into a 3+ year saga was getting hit with 9/11 as well.

Reactions: Steve91562
There is truth to what you say, but I can't go back in time to take my money out to prior to the dip. I've already ridden that escalator down.

It's about looking ahead, if my options are be in the market and ride the escalator back up, or be out of the market, then the choice is pretty easy.
I wasn't trying to criticize your investment strategies, just pointing out that recovery from down years are not equal one to one based on percentages, has to be one to two.

Have to wonder if Musk realizes the potential negative impact on Tesla should he complete the acquisition of Twitter and re-opens that forum to disruptive messengers that are perceived to be hostile to democracy. Teslas sales may drop off, per the reaction of its traditional support base, those middle and upper middle class prospective buyers. Amidst emerging EV options, those folks may boycott Musk/Tesla. Of those Tesla owners I know, they are markedly progressive, politically. Interesting dynamic will emerge.
Short term noise, just like the rest of the FUD swirling around Tesla for years. Twitter has nothing to do with Tesla's future. The financials of the company have never been better. Demand for all of Tesla's products has never been stronger. Tesla's earnings and margin continue to increase despite supply chain shortages, global pandemic, and a financial crisis, while maintaining >50% y/y growth. Pretty funny that no one brings this up in a thread on investment. Am I nuts or do those qualities make for a wise investment?

The shiny new thing(Twitter) is entertaining to stare at, but leaves you completely oblivious to the bigger picture. Also, too many here looking at TSLA as if it were still 2017-2019. The days of Tesla hinging on bankruptcy are long gone. It's pretty clear that globally, we are transitioning to a sustainable energy future. This transition is occurring faster than most expected, which is a good thing. There is a clear leader in this sector. I can't think of a safer long term play.

Last edited:
Very true. Ha, ha, utilities and oil have done better than bonds!

In the context of high inflation, rising rates, the Fed offloading balance sheet, what would be the catalyst for the market going up in, for example, 2023-24? Maybe recovery from a bad recession where the market overshot the downside? Maybe some deflationary pressures like Boomers retiring? I don't know. Just curious what you think.

I mean, wasn't the Fed there as a backstop in '02 and '08 to stimulate the economy with lowers rates? Probably in '74 too, although that was a bit of a yo-yo decade with Fed policy. I just don't see that happening today, because they have done so much recently in stimulating the economy and increasing the money supply. Next inflation readings will be telling.

One bright spot, the downturn is happening mid election cycle. Probably guaranteed of 2 1/2 years political gridlock. Politicians won't do anything to screw up the recovery, allowing Fed to clean up its' mistakes. Ha, ha, I'm cynical about politicians.
Well do consider the current unemployment rate is the lowest since 1962 I think.

And wages have gone up. We often hear that being the sticky part of inflation. And I think that is good, as commodity prices come down, wages maintain their levels, giving them buying power.
Other drivers? Because of supply chain we just haven't been able to build news cars the last couple years. We will need to catch up there. Housing supply is very low. We will need to catch up there. The US now realizes they need to produce more oil and nat gas which we will supply to Europe and other nations perhaps. To avoid supply chain issues onshoring of production, see Intel.

Inflation crested last week and will likely be heading down with the May data point. Inflation started blowing up last April/May, so the base effect is now working in our favor (instead of being compared to the artificial COVID lows). My bet is that inflation comes down much quicker than expected and the Fed become less hawkish.

The biggest driver to inflation is the price of oil, followed by other factors such as money supply, etc. Until the price of oil drops significantly, inflation will be an issue.

I wasn't trying to criticize your investment strategies, just pointing out that recovery from down years are not equal one to one based on percentages, has to be one to two.
Hey I love the debate so I was not taking offense. And I'm speaking in general.

Whether you have been in or out. If the market typically goes up after a big down year, don't you want to be in?

And you did speak about digging deeper, getting a larger sample, well, as we all know, in the long run the market goes up.

The biggest driver to inflation is the price of oil, followed by other factors such as money supply, etc. Until the price of oil drops significantly, inflation will be an issue.
Someone mentioned the other day about costs maintaining at an inflated level, and maybe I'm not quite grasping the concept, but if oil stays at $110, does that not mean inflation has leveled off? If oil drops to $80, would that not be deflationary.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if we peaked out on inflation already, but wouldn't surprise me either if it moderates down very slowly. I'm not trained in economics, but a lot of smart cats are saying 6%. this year. I suspect the Fed will keep tightening through the end of the yer and then take a wait and see approach. If they get it down to CPI 3% they call it a day and pat themselves on the back. They'll never roll off their entire balance sheet, because they'll not want to pay the elevated bonds rates on the 10 year. Ha, ha, I'm cynical. Anyway, next reading on inflation will be telling. Technically you may get a period of stagflation but I doubt that would last. We'll see.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Don't go all CL on me now! :)

If something like that happens, we will have problems. People forget, the dot.com bust wasn't as big of a deal as folks make it out to be (beyond the tech sector). In isolation, it was a bear, but probably not atypical to other downturns. What made it into a 3+ year saga was getting hit with 9/11 as well.
Ya know, I was not even thinking about 9/11. Good point.

Hey I love the debate so I was not taking offense. And I'm speaking in general.

Whether you have been in or out. If the market typically goes up after a big down year, don't you want to be in?

And you did speak about digging deeper, getting a larger sample, well, as we all know, in the long run the market goes up.
No doubt, again just pointing out that recovery from a down year takes more than 1 year to recoup.

Someone mentioned the other day about costs maintaining at an inflated level, and maybe I'm not quite grasping the concept, but if oil stays at $110, does that not mean inflation has leveled off? If oil drops to $80, would that not be deflationary.
It would depend on the cost of production and demand for the product. I was being simplistic since inflation is multi factored. If wages were rising, product costs would be affected also. Lower prices with lower demand would lead to stagflation which none of us older folks want to see recur.

Short term noise, just like the rest of the FUD swirling around Tesla for years. Twitter has nothing to do with Tesla's future. The financials of the company have never been better. Demand for all of Tesla's products has never been stronger. Tesla's earnings and margin continue to increase despite supply chain shortages, global pandemic, and a financial crisis, while maintaining >50% y/y growth. Pretty funny that no one brings this up in a thread on investment. Am I nuts or do those qualities make for a wise investment?

The shiny new thing(Twitter) is entertaining to stare at, but leaves you completely oblivious to the bigger picture. Also, too many here looking at TSLA as if it were still 2017-2019. The days of Tesla hinging on bankruptcy are long gone. It's pretty clear that globally, we are transitioning to a sustainable energy future. This transition is occurring faster than most expected, which is a good thing. There is a clear leader in this sector. I can't think of a safer long term play.
It's brought up.

But it's still a super high multiple.

Possibly the concern would be wage-price type spiral? Energy costs permeates everything. Think wage inflation went down a bit on the last reading though.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Possibly the concern would be wage-price type spiral? Energy costs permeates everything. Think wage inflation went down a bit on the last reading though.
Well we are hearing that AMZN, WMT, some of the tech companies, have either stopped hiring, or have begun to lay people off.

Which could/should allow those workers to go to those areas of the economy which need it. Which could/should stop the wage increase spiral.

ADVERTISEMENT