ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Good for you, nothing wrong with dipping your toe. More fun to dip would be MARA since it mirrors the mining of crypto, moves a little more dramatically. In any event, have fun.
I was looking for a crypto index ETF, but I guess that doesn't exist yet! 😂

To you and @RUTGERS95 - okay you crazy bastards, for fun and gambling, I bought 97 shares of ETHE which is enough for 1 Ether. Bought at the bell for 16.00. Now you kids leave me alone and let me get back to my actively passive investing.

I would avoid the premiums and just buy the coins/tokens directly. The true value of crypto is owning the coin yourself.
I use Gemini for my BTC & ETH purchases, and KuCoin for my altcoins. I also own a ledge and pull eveything off the exchange wallets as soon as I can.
yeah me neither but aside from anticipated swings, the trend on Etherium should be up as it's becoming the platform for all Crypto.

Yes it quickly is. The Chinese alternative to Ethereum, NEO, has room for good growth in the future as well.

Also, I hate to say this, but add the actions of yesterday to the growing list of things that have greatly helped Bitcoin. Not sure about most people here, but seeing the US Capital overthrown, albeit temporarily, is not something I ever thought I would see. Combine that with the events of the last year, and it puts the long term viability of America as we "knew it" into question...

DeFi is the future now matter how you look at it. With alternative platforms, you will see, in the next few years, a major house move from the centralized model to the DeFi model. You heard it here first

• Wow
Reactions: redking
ICLN clean energy ETF I brought it 2 weeks ago and it’s been going up 30% so far. It probably riding renewal energy companies. Might be good for a while.

that's due to dem win but take profits. those companies will hit the reality brick wall soon enough. Fuel cell is another one.

that's due to dem win but take profits. those companies will hit the reality brick wall soon enough. Fuel cell is another one.
+1
Stocks up due to political reasons will eventually tank once it is obvious that they can't get anything meaningful passed Congress. Long term, those are probably good bets, but the current excitement will soon become disappointment and lead to a short term correction.

A hedge is one thing, but VIX/VXX seems completely counterproductive. Just leave some cash in your account. That's better since it won't go down.
Counterproductive is a hedge. If your portfolio is going up, your hedge is going down. Looks like my bet is not going to payoff. Hard to burn it all down when you don’t have a platform for your agenda.

Counterproductive is a hedge. If your portfolio is going up, your hedge is going down. Looks like my bet is not going to payoff. Hard to burn it all down when you don’t have a platform for your agenda.
I like my hedges to stay flat when my portfolio is going up! :)

Best hedge is a Stable Value Fund (still chugging along at +2% per year so you get something).

+1
Stocks up due to political reasons will eventually tank once it is obvious that they can't get anything meaningful passed Congress. Long term, those are probably good bets, but the current excitement will soon become disappointment and lead to a short term correction.
it's mostly the technology and reality of the world. Libs may hate oil but petroleum is in everything. They think it's just cars but it's far from that.

If you don't own oil, you will not do well in 2021

Reactions: T2Kplus20
it's mostly the technology and reality of the world. Libs may hate oil but petroleum is in everything. They think it's just cars but it's far from that.

If you don't own oil, you will not do well in 2021
You can certainly have a very good 2021 without oil. Plenty of options out there.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Ya, lot of talk about XOM having a big 2021. I think BP wouldn't be too far behind, and I'll except it being behind if I have that hydrogen potential..
so I have glog, eqt, cpe, xom (among others) and some interesting plays in tell and lxu (I do like a penny play every now and then to keep it intersting). I bought all of these very discounted from here when the mkts crashed etc..

so I have glog, eqt, cpe, xom (among others) and some interesting plays in tell and lxu (I do like a penny play every now and then to keep it intersting). I bought all of these very discounted from here when the mkts crashed etc..
I have TELL as well, bought it at the end of it's most recent run, so I'm waiting for that next leg, but that is one where even if doubles from it's current levels, it's still less then half of what it was precovid.

I'll argue that the long term future of oil is cloudy, but the short term? As you say above, it's everywhere.

Edit: I also got in on DCP in late April, while it was paying a 20% dividend. Up 240% on that one.

On the flip of that I also bought Nova around that time. Up 380%.

I have TELL as well, bought it at the end of it's most recent run, so I'm waiting for that next leg, but that is one where even if doubles from it's current levels, it's still less then half of what it was precovid.

I'll argue that the long term future of oil is cloudy, but the short term? As you say above, it's everywhere.

Edit: I also got in on DCP in late April, while it was paying a 20% dividend. Up 240% on that one.

On the flip of that I also bought Nova around that time. Up 380%.
Morningstar is a bullish on TELL. Fair value set at 2.21.

Morningstar's Analysis
Valuation Jan 06, 2021
TELL is at a 41% Discount.
Fair Value: 2.21
Last Close: 1.31
Uncertainty:Extreme
Economic Moat:None

Reactions: RU-05
Tell, you are buying the management and contracts but if that takes off, it's a nice play.

I could go flat for rest of year and my 2021 is great. I buy with longer horizons than most. I don't trade, I invest.

Looks like a fair amount of people had $40K circled as a sell point for BTC.

Bounced off that, dipped to just above $37K, and has since rebounded up over $38.

Tell, you are buying the management and contracts but if that takes off, it's a nice play.

I could go flat for rest of year and my 2021 is great. I buy with longer horizons than most. I don't trade, I invest.
I have companies that I like and hold, but when they get too hot, I look to trim back. If they dip back, maybe I'll buy back in.

But I've been at this a pretty short time, so I'm still figuring out exactly what I'm doing.

And as I note a fair amount this is how I've been going about it in this market environment, which to me looks pretty dang unique, I'll have to wait and see how I go about it in a different market environment.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I have companies that I like and hold, but when they get too hot, I look to trim back. If they dip back, maybe I'll buy back in.

But I've been at this a pretty short time, so I'm still figuring out exactly what I'm doing.

And as I note a fair amount this is how I've been going about it in this market environment, which to me looks pretty dang unique, I'll have to wait and see how I go about it in a different market environment.
I guess the big question is, are you looking to make some quick money or build wealth? Or both? Any of these choices are fine, but that will help you determine how much you should be buying and holding. My investing is purely retirement money, so our time horizon is long (15 or so years). Obviously, buy and hold is the key for me.

I was looking for a crypto index ETF, but I guess that doesn't exist yet! 😂
SEC has not, to this point, allowed it.

A BTC guy keeps trying, and just yesterday I think, put in another application. See what happens there, though my guess is, if it does happen, the OTC crypto plays will take a hit.

Reactions: ScarletNut
I guess the big question is, are you looking to make some quick money or build wealth? Or both? Any of these choices are fine, but that will help you determine how much you should be buying and holding. My investing is purely retirement money, so our time horizon is long (15 or so years). Obviously, buy and hold is the key for me.
Anything I sell I reinvest. Short term moves for a long term goal.

Please explain.
I think he meant that BTC went from 40 to 37, but it has since rebounded. $38.4 right now.

I think ETH dipped as well.

But these things have been on such a run, these dips are to be expected.

ETHE is down from a high of 24 a few months ago, so the timing seems reasonable.
Just gonna pontificate for a second.

ETHE was $25 back in June. Then it got back near $25 in Dec.

As people here note it has not been tracking ETH very closely. Where as GBTC was very closely tracking Bit Coin.

But I think that is indicative of people not really knowing what these things are, they don't really know how to put money into these things, but they know they want in. I was in that spot in Sept, your here now, and more and more people are thinking the same.

Now I think that most recent dip in ETHE while ETH was running up offered up a good buying opportunity. Then you factor in what guys are saying above how ETH is perhaps a more diverse play, and hey I'll dip my toe in on that.

And as people become more familiar, then I think ETHE will begin to trade more in line with ETH, and perhaps, as people get more familiar with Crypto in general, then ETH will gain on BTC in terms of pricing.

That strikes me as testament to stop-loss orders and the diligence to renew and adjust them when they expire.

Just remember that stop-loss orders don’t always work they way you want, especially in a severe market decline. There has to be a buyer, and after hitting the sale price, if there isn’t a buyer, it becomes a market order that can be executed significantly below what you set. It can be a useful tool but just remember your downside protection may not be solid as you’d like.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
coinbase was down and did not allow buys/sells or movement and thus, impacted the mkt

If the SEC allows an ETF, this stuff takes off big time as that money has to feed the beast.

I like my hedges to stay flat when my portfolio is going up! :)

Best hedge is a Stable Value Fund (still chugging along at +2% per year so you get something).
Hedges are not supposed to be buy and hold. Your “hedge” is more de-risking.

More block chain stock runs.

On dec 24th BTBT was on a fairly slow and steady upward trend reaching about $6. On Jan 4th it got to a high of $33. It has settled back and is currently just above $24.

Well today FTFT, on the news of block chain software copyright something or other, is up 140%, jumping from $1.70 to $4.00. Will it continue to run? Given how this market has behaved recently, I threw a couple bucks down.

Just remember that stop-loss orders don’t always work they way you want, especially in a severe market decline. There has to be a buyer, and after hitting the sale price, if there isn’t a buyer, it becomes a market order that can be executed significantly below what you set. It can be a useful tool but just remember your downside protection may not be solid as you’d like.

That's why you use a stop-limit.

SEC has not, to this point, allowed it.

A BTC guy keeps trying, and just yesterday I think, put in another application. See what happens there, though my guess is, if it does happen, the OTC crypto plays will take a hit.
I bet that is going to be a tough sell to the SEC. Let's be honest, lots of shady activities use cryptos.

Just gonna pontificate for a second.

ETHE was $25 back in June. Then it got back near $25 in Dec.

As people here note it has not been tracking ETH very closely. Where as GBTC was very closely tracking Bit Coin.

But I think that is indicative of people not really knowing what these things are, they don't really know how to put money into these things, but they know they want in. I was in that spot in Sept, your here now, and more and more people are thinking the same.

Now I think that most recent dip in ETHE while ETH was running up offered up a good buying opportunity. Then you factor in what guys are saying above how ETH is perhaps a more diverse play, and hey I'll dip my toe in on that.

And as people become more familiar, then I think ETHE will begin to trade more in line with ETH, and perhaps, as people get more familiar with Crypto in general, then ETH will gain on BTC in terms of pricing.
Makes a lot of sense.

coinbase was down and did not allow buys/sells or movement and thus, impacted the mkt

If the SEC allows an ETF, this stuff takes off big time as that money has to feed the beast.
If the SEC eventually gives the okay, do you think ETHE (and GBTC) take a big dump in favor of other options or will they have first mover advantage and take off?

If the SEC eventually gives the okay, do you think ETHE (and GBTC) take a big dump in favor of other options or will they have first mover advantage and take off?
I've been asked that before. The short answer is no since the same premium (psychological or FOMO) that increases as bitcoin increases will occur in the etf also. Despite 18.5 out of an eventual 21 million coins, only about 4.5 million are in circulation. The rest are with "whales" and HODLERs in it for the long term.

Reactions: bob-loblaw
I've been asked that before. The short answer is no since the same premium (psychological or FOMO) that increases as bitcoin increases will occur in the etf also. Despite 18.5 out of an eventual 21 million coins, only about 4.5 million are in circulation. The rest are with "whales" and HODLERs in it for the long term.
Got it, sounds good. Very appreciated! What do you think is the better long term play? ETH or BTC? Or is there room for both? Seems like they are different enough to cater to different customers and activities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT