ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Town Recommendations

If you work in TSQ it makes sense to look at places on a quick bus line.

Edgewater and Fort Lee have good schools and are much closer to the city.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Bus and train are not interchangeable.

I commute 1.25 hours each way on train with walk. If I had to take a bus I would find a NJ/wfh job. I don’t think this is just me.

If you want more info, should have a poll for current and former NYC commuters:
- take bus, like it
- take bus, hate it
- took buss, gave up on NYC commute
...same choices with train & ferry

I commute 1.25 hours each way on train with walk. If I had to take a bus I would find a NJ/wfh job. I don’t think this is just me.

- take bus, like it
- take bus, hate it
my experiences:

-took bus, hated it
-took train, didn't love it, but more tolerable
-in the end, gave up on NYC commute and other nation wide travel and found a job in NJ

- take bus, like it
- take bus, hate it

Need some detail before you pass judgement. When I used the Park and Ride I was on a bus for 12-18 minutes. Very, very different than getting on one just outside my condo

My nephew, before moving to Ridgewood, lived in Weehawken in the new apartment and walked To the ferry which bring you right to Times Square.

A ferry right to Times Square, you say....an amphibious vehicle like the Duck Boat Tours?

I kid, of course....but it is more accurate to say that it takes a decent walk or a ride on the NYW's shuttle bus (included in the cost of ferry, which isn't cheap) to get from the ferry terminal and over a few avenues to near Times Square.

Everyone knows its the Villages:Sly:
Perdido key in panhandle abt a mile from Bama, beautiful, has change of season, minor league b-ball in Pensacola is abt it for sports, great beaches on GOM, just not an easy commute have to take 2 flights

I'm feeling something sounds wrong here too...and to your point, let's say everythng is spot on...what broker is lowering their commission if they are walking in with a buyer over asking.inspection and atty review in 5 days also? not that it cant happen and should happen with perfect houses...but you cant get two atty's to work that fast and never seen inspectors on the ball like that so quick as well...something seems off

I don’t know what to tell you — it’s true. I have a really nice house and the buyers had admired my house for years waiting for us to sell. As for the realtor, she sells $30-32 million per year. She’s a volume realtor who uses nicer homes as part of her portfolio. But, I hear you I thought it was BS too until it happened.

I don’t know what to tell you — it’s true. I have a really nice house and the buyers had admired my house for years waiting for us to sell. As for the realtor, she sells $30-32 million per year. She’s a volume realtor who uses nicer homes as part of her portfolio. But, I hear you I thought it was BS too until it happened.
I’m just trying to figure out why she would sign a contract with you at 2.5% when she had an over asking price buyer.
everything else, it is what it is but realtors don’t just give away commission for no reason.

I’m just trying to figure out why she would sign a contract with you at 2.5% when she had an over asking price buyer.
everything else, it is what it is but realtors don’t just give away commission for no reason.
Based on his comment, he was interviewing agents. Agent shows up and says I already have a buyer and I'll take a lower commission because the work was already done and they don't have to pay for pictures, do the listing work, etc. Quick, simple, and the agent walks away with 2.5% of your most valuable asset for a few hours of work. Seems very plausible to me.

Based on his comment, he was interviewing agents. Agent shows up and says I already have a buyer and I'll take a lower commission because the work was already done and they don't have to pay for pictures, do the listing work, etc. Quick, simple, and the agent walks away with 2.5% of your most valuable asset for a few hours of work. Seems very plausible to me.
It does...except, a RE Agent that walks in, says I have a buyer at over the asking. And I am assuming this was the broker, not just an agent. What incentive is there to take a lower % unless another agent also had a similar buyer? That RE Agent would only be competing with themselves.

It does...except, a RE Agent that walks in, says I have a buyer at over the asking. And I am assuming this was the broker, not just an agent. What incentive is there to take a lower % unless another agent also had a similar buyer? That RE Agent would only be competing with themselves.

It's not uncommon for "for sale by owner" deals to protect buyer reps at 2% to 3%.

It's not uncommon for "for sale by owner" deals to protect buyer reps at 2% to 3%.
If it is a pure “buyer” rep and OP was selling as for sale by owner...then it does make sense. But that wasn’t stated. He stated he was interviewing agents

Does it make more sense to rent a month or two down in Florida in the winter time than to buy?

When we decided to move back from Jupiter Island to NJ we rented our home for the season. Made great money.

There is not huge appreciation in Florida RE in areas on retirees. Estate sales of empty homes with the heirs wanting to get the money from the sales are a major factor.

Pick an area you want to look at and find a realtor in the area and have her/him start the search.

Then living on the Ocean/Gulf can be an adventure, rather than a bother from either a hurricane or the constant noise of the surf.

When we decided to move back from Jupiter Island to NJ we rented our home for the season. Made great money.

There is not huge appreciation in Florida RE in areas on retirees. Estate sales of empty homes with the heirs wanting to get the money from the sales are a major factor.

Pick an area you want to look at and find a realtor in the area and have her/him start the search.

Then living on the Ocean/Gulf can be an adventure, rather than a bother from either a hurricane or the constant noise of the surf.
Isn't that sort of one of the major selling points?

We are going to be renting until we decide what/where to buy.

Prioritize BOTH your likes and dislikes. Golf, swimming in ocean or pool or community pool, walks, bikes, dining out, fishing, spectator sports, room for kids/grandkids to visit.

Remember that it's HOT/HUMID for about 6-7 months of the year.

Mary Anne was a realtor for Fenton/Lang the realtor on Jupiter Island, the only income she made was on renting homes for the season and our home listing/sale (but it saved me big $).

Reactions: Mr Magoo
If you work in TSQ it makes sense to look at places on a quick bus line.

Edgewater and Fort Lee have good schools and are much closer to the city.

there’ss a lot of value available in time square rentals. You can get a studio for under 2K if you’re willing to live in a small place.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Our bedroom faced the ocean and when the breeze was nice or it was cool enough to forego AC it was great to listen. What I had always wanted.......then.....it never stopped......there's a motto there somewheres.
Too funny and can understand...

My wife is Jamaican. Her house for most of her younger years until about 12 was in Runaway Bay and literally 100 ft from the ocean as her backyard. And her Dad ran/owned a restaurant/bar on premise of the old Runaway Beach Resort which is now Jewels. And she spent her childhood pretty much as the little local kid playing with all the tourists at the resort... No other way to say it but sort of a resort mascot that some families looked forward to seeing each year. She even helped her Dad run the crab races each day. She would recruit the tourists to come and bet on the races and was the cute kid telling them which crab was the fast one and why. Of course, it was always the slow one and she and her Dad would split winnings. lol
So- she always wants the sound of the ocean again

Just looked at most of the preferred “ towns “ to live in according to this board... It actually says a great deal about many and where they live and suggest to others... many of those homes are out of reach for folks and in reality they all resemble themselves in their basic make up . Quite odd in this era of turmoil .

Just looked at most of the preferred “ towns “ to live in according to this board... It actually says a great deal about many and where they live and suggest to others... many of those homes are out of reach for folks and in reality they all resemble themselves in their basic make up . Quite odd in this era of turmoil .
Most of the people on the board do quite well considering most are Rutgers graduates. The coronavirus affected mostly blue collar or retail workers. Most Rutgers graduates are white collar workers, business owners Or retirees.

Last edited:
Reactions: eceres
Too funny and can understand...

My wife is Jamaican. Her house for most of her younger years until about 12 was in Runaway Bay and literally 100 ft from the ocean as her backyard. And her Dad ran/owned a restaurant/bar on premise of the old Runaway Beach Resort which is now Jewels. And she spent her childhood pretty much as the little local kid playing with all the tourists at the resort... No other way to say it but sort of a resort mascot that some families looked forward to seeing each year. She even helped her Dad run the crab races each day. She would recruit the tourists to come and bet on the races and was the cute kid telling them which crab was the fast one and why. Of course, it was always the slow one and she and her Dad would split winnings. lol
So- she always wants the sound of the ocean again

Now I know how to bet those damn crab races !!

If it is a pure “buyer” rep and OP was selling as for sale by owner...then it does make sense. But that wasn’t stated. He stated he was interviewing agents

Must admit I haven't read the entire thread, however, if the agent walked in the door with a buyer in his pocket he or she risked not getting the listing and then at best would only receive the 2.5% and could miss out entirely if someone else bought the property. Seems to me it was a calculated risk by the agent/broker to take the bird in the hand at 2.5%.

Most of the people on the board do quite well considering most are Rutgers graduates. The coronavirus affected mostly blue collar or retail workers. Most Rutgers graduates are white collar workers, business owners Or retirees.
People lost jobs and businesses all across the board. To be honest, more blue collar jobs were deemed essential.
And, for many "white collar" such as myself, who does quite well, lost a lot of deals and commissions because of the virus. So- it does make a big difference.

Must admit I haven't read the entire thread, however, if the agent walked in the door with a buyer in his pocket he or she risked not getting the listing and then at best would only receive the 2.5% and could miss out entirely if someone else bought the property. Seems to me it was a calculated risk by the agent/broker to take the bird in the hand at 2.5%.
Not sure I understand your argument here. The broker was worried she wasn’t going to get the listing so she offered what she would’ve received as the buyer broker anyway? Or, she was worried her buyer wasn’t going to have the best bid which means she low balled the listing price and screwed over the seller? Like I said before, she could either be the most honest realtor or just a terrible realtor. Very happy for the seller.

Little Silver. Top notch schools, train station in town. Ten minutes to beaches. Next to Red Bank for restaurants, great local theater, marinas etc.

Reactions: BigWill
LS is where John moved from to Conn for his job.
3 hours round trip on the train, versus 5 minute bike ride.
Nice town, but Red Bank Regional for high school may have you looking at RBC or CBA.

Now I know how to bet those damn crab races !!

We lived in North Beach Rd on the Island and it's close to the Federal Wildlife Refuge on the northern part of the island and near mangrove parts of the Intercoastal Waterway which are untouchable. So land crabs live in the mangrove parts and migrate to the Atlantic Ocean to breed. My pool wound up (not told me by the RE agent) in the path of the crabs. They would climb up my pool screen and the rain drain spouts and cut thru the base of the screens and drown themselves in my pool.

One day we woke up to hundreds of them drowned in the pool. I paid Matt and John a buck a crab to get rid of them. They came up with the idea of teeing them up on a lawn sprinkler and using their hockey sticks to practice slap shots.
Which was great till I came home and found splattered parts of over 100 crabs all over the yard. The lawn sprinkler head broken off of 4 sprinklers, water leaking all over the yard (my water bill was 400 a month down there), they both had blisters from the hockey sticks and I owed them over 100 bucks.

Freaking land crabs.

So it looks like my company may be moving a few of us from Boston to New York at some point over the next year or two. I'm looking for recommendations on towns to look into. I grew up in Middletown, so I know the Monmouth County area reasonably well, but I'm open to other alternative areas if it makes sense.

A few things about our situation and what would be important:
1. Reasonable commute to Midtown.
2. Not a super congested area and a nice downtown within a reasonable distance (something as large as Red Bank but could be smaller).
3. We have a 7 month old...so good schools and reasonable property taxes.
4. Open to places outside of NJ (Long Island (feel dirty saying that), Connecticut, NY State)), but with family in NJ, all else fairly equal, NJ would get the nod.
5. Budget-wise, we have a budget that should work in most places, even if we have one of the more modest homes. I'd rather the worst house in a great area than the best house in a bad area.

Wife is from Iowa, but we currently live in Back Bay Boston and were in the Minneapolis suburbs before that. Boston has surprised us by not being too busy and when we go down to New York, my wife always comments how busy and high energy it is, so all things considered, something that doesn't feel too busy is ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated.
My best advice is don’t move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT