ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington Admirals???

Or Washington Name Droppers. Motto as we are dropping your name we 're dropping ours
Name should be Redskins stop caving to stupid people

Reactions: goru1869
RC .. I guess vj is right about 90% of his study pool (n=500) not being offended but 100 percent of all the others surveyed were offended.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Yeah OK. Try again.

“Results highlight the importance of considering the unique and multifaceted aspects of identity, particularly when seeking to understand Native people’s attitudes and experiences.”

If that’s not a study that started with a conclusion and worked backwards….

Reactions: bac2therac
VK...I'm sure you know many derogatory slurs or nicknames for various ethnic and religious groups ? Do you really believe these slurs are OK and those diverse peoples shouldn't be offended ? You think your opinion about what's offensive is more intelligent and legit than those who are actually in those groups ?

C'mon now. You can't possibly believe what you are spewing here.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
the mascot should be mr potato head.
How's this?

Spuds+on+the+Warpath.jpg

Still like my idea of Windtalkers:

- you honor the Native American contributions made by those in defense of our Country
- you get to keep the Native American imagery too
- the alliteration for either “Washington Windtalkers/Warriors” works very well

And they could use these sick throwbacks for either…

Washington-Redskins-football-corner-back-Darrell-Green-2002.jpg

Lol. No it didn’t. In fact, 90% of over 500 polled. Didn’t find it offensive. Just libs and Karen’s like yourself.
Here's another poll

In February 2020, yet another survey was released by researchers at UC Berkeley. In this analysis, 1,021 self-identified Native Americans were recruited to answer questions about the name online.

In the end, this analysis found that 49% agreed or strongly agreed that the name was offensive. That number jumped to 67%, for those who "frequently engage in tribal cultural practices."

a google search came up with this

The Online Oxford Dictionary describes it as “dated and offensive.” Similarly, Merriam-Webster's online dictionary identifies it as “usually offensive,” while the online Thefreedictionary defines it as “used as a disparaging term for a Native American,” and further classifies the term as “offensive slang.”

Here's another poll

In February 2020, yet another survey was released by researchers at UC Berkeley. In this analysis, 1,021 self-identified Native Americans were recruited to answer questions about the name online.

In the end, this analysis found that 49% agreed or strongly agreed that the name was offensive. That number jumped to 67%, for those who "frequently engage in tribal cultural practices."

a google search came up with this

The Online Oxford Dictionary describes it as “dated and offensive.” Similarly, Merriam-Webster's online dictionary identifies it as “usually offensive,” while the online Thefreedictionary defines it as “used as a disparaging term for a Native American,” and further classifies the term as “offensive slang.”
I saw that study. Shocker. Woke universities like Cal Berkeley found issue.

I saw that study. Shocker. Woke universities like Cal Berkeley found issue.
you don't like what's found , insult the ones that published it because it goes against what you think is true.
As more Native Americans become better aware of their heritage, maybe that's why the poll results changed.
Maybe going by what more than one dictionary says a word means is for wokes..

another Woke U finding:
New University of Michigan research reveals high rates of opposition to not only the use of gestures and chants, but also to Native American mascots and team names like the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

The results run contrary to polls reported by national news outlets, which suggest that as few as 10% of Native peoples are offended by Native mascots and, specifically, the Redskins team name.

https://isr.umich.edu/news-events/n...ants-more-offensive-than-previously-reported/

disclaimer: seems like UM and Cal-Berkeley jointly did the study aI posted you called from a Woke U

I always thought capitalists where in favor of owners running their own companies. Snyder wanted to change the name. What‘s the problem?

Kind of odd to be mad about somebody making decisions for himself while whining that people shouldn’t tell others what to do.
Don't confuse him.

When historians look back at the rot eating this country from the inside out they will point to this phrase as the trigger for the beginning of the decline of the U.S.
"I'm offended."

Stop. People have been offended for as long as I can remember.
You're absolutely correct. People have aiways been offended by something or other. But when the offended demand societal changes just due to the fact that their feelings are hurt that's different.
When I was kid my coach would yell to me "Let's go you big Polock!" it didn't bother me. Now it would be grounds for the guy to lose his job. It's silly.
We have become a society which has become way over senitive about things that aren't important.
Just my opinion.

You're absolutely correct. People have aiways been offended by something or other. But when the offended demand societal changes just due to the fact that their feelings are hurt that's different.
When I was kid my coach would yell to me "Let's go you big Polock!" it didn't bother me. Now it would be grounds for the guy to lose his job. It's silly.
We have become a society which has become way over senitive about things that aren't important.
Just my opinion.
Norm is sensitive to this.

They weren't given that name because of some damn potato.
A friend just told me that it was a "tribute" to Native Americans.
It was the term some American Indians used to refer to themselves when communicating with colonists.

Can naval vessels reach DC? "Generals" makes more sense. They need something and fast - their franchise and fan base seem to be in a state of rapid decline. Apparently, they abandoned a stadium in DC that was always sold out with a waiting list to move to a suburban stadium and have had problems drawing a crowd ever since.
You don't know D.C. is on the Potomac??

I guess.......I would have gone with the Red Tails.
I was also hoping for "Red Tails," although I (and most native Americans) didn't have a problem with "Redskins". "Red Tails" would honor some deserving folks...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT