ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington Admirals???

Washington Federals would have been cool. Also would have fit with the Nationals and Capitals theme.

I know Federals were a team a long time ago in the USFL so not sure if that would have been available.

I was also hoping for "Red Tails," although I (and most native Americans) didn't have a problem with "Redskins". "Red Tails" would honor some deserving folks...
If you saw my earlier post, the Windtalkers name does just that.

I always thought capitalists where in favor of owners running their own companies. Snyder wanted to change the name. What‘s the problem?

Kind of odd to be mad about somebody making decisions for himself while whining that people shouldn’t tell others what to do.
Funny that you think it’s really his choice.

Put me down as one of those who is surprised the name was allowed to exist as long as it has but that’s where we are/were.

you don't like what's found , insult the ones that published it because it goes against what you think is true.
As more Native Americans become better aware of their heritage, maybe that's why the poll results changed.
Maybe going by what more than one dictionary says a word means is for wokes..

another Woke U finding:
New University of Michigan research reveals high rates of opposition to not only the use of gestures and chants, but also to Native American mascots and team names like the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

The results run contrary to polls reported by national news outlets, which suggest that as few as 10% of Native peoples are offended by Native mascots and, specifically, the Redskins team name.

https://isr.umich.edu/news-events/n...ants-more-offensive-than-previously-reported/

disclaimer: seems like UM and Cal-Berkeley jointly did the study aI posted you called from a Woke U
“As more native Americans become aware of their heritage”. What does that mean? A bunch of people bought DNA tests online and now they think they are Native Americans that need to be offended? Guess they can always look to Elizabeth Warren for guidance.

I always thought capitalists where in favor of owners running their own companies. Snyder wanted to change the name. What‘s the problem?

Kind of odd to be mad about somebody making decisions for himself while whining that people shouldn’t tell others what to do.
This had nothing to Do with capitalism or what Snyder wanted. He got pressure from the league and interest groups and folded. Probably because he didn’t want people digging into all the other issues within the organization.

They were never going to use anything to do with American Indians again.
I'll place that in the that's a shame category, Warriors, Braves, Chiefs, Apaches, Fighting Sioux, Comanches, Wind talkers, to name a few are all great tributes.
Ironically I played on an all African American mens baseball team when I was 15, we were The Montclair Apaches....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
Still like my idea of Windtalkers:
That is an interesting and creative idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Appeals to my affection for alliteration and history.

Funny that you think it’s really his choice.

Put me down as one of those who is surprised the name was allowed to exist as long as it has but that’s where we are/were.

It was surely his choice. He’s doing it because he can make more money with a different team name. Pure capitalism. He wasn’t motivated to do this for some larger purpose.

It was surely his choice. He’s doing it because he can make more money with a different team name. Pure capitalism. He wasn’t motivated to do this for some larger purpose.
The larger purpose was the NFL saying, “Dan, it’s time to figure out a new name.”

Reactions: goru1869
That is an interesting and creative idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Appeals to my affection for alliteration and history.
If you check out my earlier post in the thread you can see how this one checks a lot boxes.

The larger purpose was the NFL saying, “Dan, it’s time to figure out a new name.”
Just more capitalism.

I have no problem with capitalism. But I do laugh when supposed capitalists and free-righters get up in arms and rant at leftists because other capitalists act in their own interests.

Reactions: Kbee3
I'll place that in the that's a shame category, Warriors, Braves, Chiefs, Apaches, Fighting Sioux, Comaches to name a few are all great tributes.
Ironically I played on an all African American mens baseball team when I was 15, we were The Montclair Apaches....lol
Today they would call that "cultural appropriation".

This had nothing to Do with capitalism or what Snyder wanted. He got pressure from the league and interest groups and folded. Probably because he didn’t want people digging into all the other issues within the organization.
Miami University and others changed their team names because of public pressure and/or a sense of purpose.

Snyder insisted over and over again that he wouldn’t bow. He caved only because it was costing him money.

Washington Football Team + Their logo was actually pretty great imo. Very classic look and the name connects well to modern\traditional naming conventions (MLS, Premier league) that newer sports fans are connecting to.

I would love to see them get sued by the local MLQ franchise if they go with Admirals. If only because it would be hilarious.

Just more capitalism.

I have no problem with capitalism. But I do laugh when supposed capitalists and free-righters get up in arms and rant at leftists because other capitalists act in their own interests.
Which is what the NFL did…play our game or will make difficult to do what you want to do.

If you believe he did it on his own, fine.

Which is what the NFL did…play our game or will make difficult to do what you want to do.

If you believe he did it on his own, fine.
My central point was that it is capitalism at work. You indirectly agree with that by saying it was the other NFL capitalists, not protestors, that pressured Snyder to change.

The other point - which is not directed at you - is that supposed pro-capitalists are up in arms over capitalistic actions but directing their anger at protestors.

My central point was that it is capitalism at work. You indirectly agree with that by saying it was the other NFL capitalists, not protestors, that pressured Snyder to change.

The other point - which is not directed at you - is that supposed pro-capitalists are up in arms over capitalistic actions but directing their anger at protestors.
But the bottom line is it wasn’t his choice.

And while the NFL makes gazillions, let not call it a democracy. Their version of the politburo basically decided for him.

Communism more so than capitalism where the collective is more important than the individual.

the mascot should be mr potato head.
There is no more Mr. Potato Head. That got canceled, Woked, PC'd , or whatever you call it. Just reporting the facts. That would be Strike Two on naming infractions... LOL.

“Hasbro is making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr. from the Mr. Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion,” the company said in an initial statement on Thursday.

Why would it offend their assholes? Did it cause diarrhea or constipation?
caused REALLY Red Skin down there. Hence the preference by some for Red Tails. (relax folks. I just another one of those stupid Polocks (or Polack if you want to slur me) trying to make a joke). :YesNo

Last edited:

No one would accuse the people who supported the old name of supporting capitalism.

Last edited:
When historians look back at the rot eating this country from the inside out they will point to this phrase as the trigger for the beginning of the decline of the U.S.
"I'm offended."

That's absolutely true. I even remember people burning football jerseys, shooting Keurigs and Yetis and boycotting the NFL over that phrase.

Reactions: fsg2
with no stake in this, I'd like to think maybe our thinking is evolving to simply say, the idea of a team nickname of [insert color] + skins may be not an ideal term, that we can and should do better?

hoping Redwolves or Redtails would be it, but I suspect Dan S will keep WFT.

Lol ...so you went from "Native Americans don't care" to "only [loads] Native Americans who I discount for no reason care."

STFU.

They crap all over Cal Berkeley but if their own kids got admitted you can bet they'd send them there over Liberty "University." Then again, no one would say they're consistent.

Reactions: fsg2
with no stake in this, I'd like to think maybe our thinking is evolving to simply say, the idea of a team nickname of [insert color] + skins may be not an ideal term, that we can and should do better?

hoping Redwolves or Redtails would be it, but I suspect Dan S will keep WFT.
That really is it for me. I don't think Indians or Seminoles or Utes or Apaches is a particularly bad idea for a team's nickname.
But "Redskins" is particularly disgusting. Can you imagine another team having a name that was "(insert color)-skins" ?

Reactions: zappaa
That really is it for me. I don't think Indians or Seminoles or Utes or Apaches is a particularly bad idea for a team's nickname.
But "Redskins" is particularly disgusting. Can you imagine another team having a name that was "(insert color)-skins" ?
Totally agree.
How about the Washington Pale Faces, or Forked Tongues

Last edited:
  • Love
Still like my idea of Windtalkers:

- you honor the Native American contributions made by those in defense of our Country
- you get to keep the Native American imagery too
- the alliteration for either “Washington Windtalkers/Warriors” works very well

And they could use these sick throwbacks for either…

Washington-Redskins-football-corner-back-Darrell-Green-2002.jpg
They're gonna become Tom's River South?

The Washington Deficits
The Washington Gridlock
The Washington Waste

…anything that implies, waste, inefficiency, party politics, stagnation…

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: goru1869 and zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT