ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

Didn't even travel to Southampton today due to a "pre-injury injury" whatever that means. As long as Tuchel sticks to this lineup he won't play. You figure Tuchel will experiment a bit but I don't think sniffing around for a potential move is a bad idea at this point. Remember the money spent on Puli and this guy was handed the #10 shirt after a year. The skills are there. Might make sense to step down a level (newcastle etc) to get consistent time with an attack centered around him. USMNT needs him playing and in good form.

Hurt his calf in training. Injuries are going to prevent him from fulfilling his potential.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Another failure for the US men's soccer team:

. This was the B team and none of the US players in Europe were on the team. This has no effect on the World Cup Team that the US will play with .

Another failure for the US men's soccer team:

Extremely disappointing. Although it has no reflection on where we are as a program it's a tournament you want to qualify for.

Sidenote, is it weird to anyone that the Olympics is u23 in soccer?

Reactions: Kbee3
Going to miss the WC.....again.

you are making a prediction? or are you confusing olympics and WC?

I do agree that not making the Olympics is a total failure...I dont get why we (US) couldnt get things sorted between USSF and MLS to get a few of some key MLS players to play.

definitely a(nother) missed oppty for the younger players development

Reactions: cshelley
. This was the B team and none of the US players in Europe were on the team. This has no effect on the World Cup Team that the US will play with .

While it doesn’t impact the senior team, the US U23 team is made up entirely of paid professionals. While they obviously didn’t have a few true elite players from Europe and some dopey MLS teams didn’t release their players, they lost to a team from a country the size of NJ. The USA “B” team should easily handle a team like Honduras - a college all-star team might have faired better.

I’m not so willing to write this off as no big deal. Plus it sucks that the USA won’t have a team in the Olympics, which would have been a lot of fun to watch, especially since the Pulisic et al would have likely played.

you are making a prediction? or are you confusing olympics and WC?

I do agree that not making the Olympics is a total failure...I dont get why we (US) couldnt get things sorted between USSF and MLS to get a few of some key MLS players to play.

definitely a(nother) missed oppty for the younger players development
Agreed, it is a failure, especially since our lineup yesterday was more than capable of beating Honduras.
I think the senior team is in a good spot and I'm excited for the summer and WCQ to start in September.

Extremely disappointing. Although it has no reflection on where we are as a program it's a tournament you want to qualify for.

To your sidenote, that is a FIFA stipulation. FIFA does not want the Olympics to detract from the FIFA World Cup. FIFA has ensured that it is a secondary competition.

Yes, extremely disappointing but shit happens. Unlike the WC, the Olympic qualifiers are unforgiving. You lose one game, and if you picked the wrong time to lose, you are done. No second chance.

I would estimate that our Olympic team would beat Honduras 7 or 8 times out of 10. In other words, there was a significant chance we could lose that match. And given that we flat out handed them a goal, the odds IMO dropped to 50-50. Coin flip.

If we qualify for the WC this will all be forgotten. But right now, it definitely stings.

I think the US problems in CONCACAF qualifying recently are at least partially related to MLS.

While having the MLS as a successful soccer league helps grow the sport overall, MLS has benefitted the national teams of the Central American and Caribbean countries more than it does the US and Mexico by creating a lot of openings for them that wouldn’t otherwise exist.

MLS has developed US and Mexican players, but if MLS didn’t exist there were other options for most of those players. Before, players from countries like Honduras and Panama not good enough to play in Mexico or South America would be playing in a low level domestic league and they would not be getting the same level of training and development they are as MLS players,

LOL I'm mystified as to why you take perverse pleasure when the USMNT loses a game. Does this challenge your manhood someway?
Soccer blows, our nation should focus on the real sports.
😜

Agreed, it is a failure, especially since our lineup yesterday was more than capable of beating Honduras.
I think the senior team is in a good spot and I'm excited for the summer and WCQ to start in September.

agree. the lack of effort, focus and passion until we went down 2-0 was alarming. in the first half, I counted 5 unforced errors that would have been egregious for a U12 EDP team. nerves maybe? I don't know, but it was not ok.

I am with you, though on WCQ...super excited for that. When you consider how we moved the ball around on Sunday (granted it's Northern Ireland) WITHOUT McKennie and Adams...my lord...I am very very very excited about the upside with this talent.

Can Berhalter maximize it? We shall see...

Reactions: cshelley
agree. the lack of effort, focus and passion until we went down 2-0 was alarming. in the first half, I counted 5 unforced errors that would have been egregious for a U12 EDP team. nerves maybe? I don't know, but it was not ok.

I am with you, though on WCQ...super excited for that. When you consider how we moved the ball around on Sunday (granted it's Northern Ireland) WITHOUT McKennie and Adams...my lord...I am very very very excited about the upside with this talent.

Can Berhalter maximize it? We shall see...
I was skeptical of the Berhalter hire when it happened, he has grown on me though since his appointment. I like how he transitioned the USMNT from pretty much aging MLS players to young exciting players based in Europe. I think this summer will be big for him, a disappointing showing in the Nations League and Gold Cup do we look for someone else to lead the WCQ charge? Vise Versa, with a strong showing this summer we can really ride some momentum into qualifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirScarlet
Hearing what @Doctor Worm said about FIFA downplaying the Olympics doesn’t make me feel better about this result but I did to an “ah hah” when I read it.

I didn’t know this was set up like this.

Not at all. Not many years ago everyone was an amateur for all sports in the Olympics. Than they ruined it. Olympics are are just a money grab now.

Not at all. Not many years ago everyone was an amateur for all sports in the Olympics. Than they ruined it. Olympics are are just a money grab now.
Interesting. I guess I'm not old enough to remember olympics being all amateur. It makes sense to have a uniform rule for all sports rather than each sport making their own rules for eligibility.

Interesting. I guess I'm not old enough to remember olympics being all amateur. It makes sense to have a uniform rule for all sports rather than each sport making their own rules for eligibility.
The Olympics had to change or become irrelevant. Would any first world nation (which rightly or wrongly is where the money is) give a flying fvuk about an all-amateur Olympics?

The traditional centerpiece of the Summer Olympics is track and field. In Europe, unlike the US, professional track and field is big. The Olympics had to either open things up or become a second rate competition. Then the 1992 US men's basketball "dream team" provided a shot in the arm in terms of celebrity starpower.

I believe that boxing was one of the last holdouts for Olympic amateurism. Olympic boxing did not allow full, unrestricted professionalism until this upcoming games.

The Olympics had to change or become irrelevant. Would any first world nation (which rightly or wrongly is where the money is) give a flying fvuk about an all-amateur Olympics?

The traditional centerpiece of the Summer Olympics is track and field. In Europe, unlike the US, professional track and field is big. The Olympics had to either open things up or become a second rate competition. Then the 1992 US men's basketball "dream team" provided a shot in the arm in terms of celebrity starpower.

I believe that boxing was one of the last holdouts for Olympic amateurism. Olympic boxing did not allow full, unrestricted professionalism until this upcoming games.
100% disagree about coming irrelevant. It was great before irrelevant now.

Puli a goal and looks like the best player on the pitch in Champs semi right now against Real.

100% disagree about coming irrelevant. It was great before irrelevant now.
"Gentlemen you yearn for victory, just as I do. But achieved with the apparent effortlessness of gods! I believe in the pursuit of excellence."
At any rate, Pulisic is 1) the first US man to score in the CL semis, 2) the first US man to reach five goals in the CL, and 3) the youngest Chelsea player to tally in a CL semi. Congrats to him! And Jesse Marsch likely getting the job at RB Leipzig - a Top 15 club in the world - is major for American managers.

"Gentlemen you yearn for victory, just as I do. But achieved with the apparent effortlessness of gods! I believe in the pursuit of excellence."
At any rate, Pulisic is 1) the first US man to score in the CL semis, 2) the first US man to reach five goals in the CL, and 3) the youngest Chelsea player to tally in a CL semi. Congrats to him! And Jesse Marsch likely getting the job at RB Leipzig - a Top 15 club in the world - is major for American managers.
Why you responding to me?? I wasn't even responding about soccer.

Why you responding to me?? I wasn't even responding about soccer.
The first part was a response to you. Sorry, I suppose the reference was to obscure.

It was a line from Chariots Of Fire, where the Jewish collegiate runner is being chastened by his schoolmasters for having hired a professional coach, and "playing the tradesman." They want him to win the Olympics of course, but not to train like a pro. That aforementioned quote was Ben Cross' response to Johnathan Gielgud. Their argument just happened to perfectly mirror the diametrically-opposed sentiments on this board.

The first part was a response to you. Sorry, I suppose the reference was to obscure.

It was a line from Chariots Of Fire, where the Jewish collegiate runner is being chastened by his schoolmasters for having hired a professional coach, and "playing the tradesman." They want him to win the Olympics of course, but not to train like a pro. That aforementioned quote was Ben Cross' response to Johnathan Gielgud. Their argument just happened to perfectly mirror the diametrically-opposed sentiments on this board.
I love Soccer to a point. College soccer, national teams, EPL, Bundesliga. That is about it. MLS is like rookie A ball.

I love Soccer to a point. College soccer, national teams, EPL, Bundesliga. That is about it. MLS is like rookie A ball.
Oh, completely agree that MLS isn't a step down from the EPL and Bundesliga, it's MULTIPLE steps down. EPL/Bundesliga > France/Holland/Portugal > MLS. Though the academy system has gotten better.
It was just a geeky movie reference in response to (what I perceived to be) your preference for keeping the Olympics amateur-only. Thar's all.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Ice on the pitch in Manchester at the Manchester City vs PSG match

I don't know, it's hard to say.

There has been a lot of effort expended at creating better coaching education in the country, although that's been going on for awhile now. And, last time I checked, soccer is the largest and fastest growing youth sport in the country, IIRC. So hopefully that combination of factors suggests that, as kids who played soccer with ever-improving coaching grow up and become parents, they too will get involved in coaching, and the quality of coaching will continue to rise.

I was kind of a first generation soccer player in my area. There were no clubs when I started playing (the summer before 2nd grade). Lots of the kids I played pickup soccer with back then went on to coach soccer later in life. Some of the adults who played with us went on to form the first soccer clubs in local towns.

But since then, the organization and quality of coaching education has only gotten better and better, so I would expect my kids' generation to produce even better players through even better coaching. But I really don't know if it's happening that way or not. I hope it is.
IT is...very different and you are starting to see the skill level of our kids mentioned in this thread. It will only get better and multiply

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT