ADVERTISEMENT

OT: weekly Golf thread

tychicus

Junior
Dec 11, 2015
Yay Area
Weekend is upon us and it's supposed to be sunny throughout... so where will you be teeing off this weekend?

I'll be at Rutgers sunday late afternoon

Holly-Sonders-640.jpg

Funny because Benigno was talking about Sonders the other day. he was like forget Paulina and was raving about Sonders.

18 yesterday followed by Wednesday e-9. Played good for the 18 then melted during the last 9. It was hot.

Wife for 9 on Friday evening.
Have a group of 24 playing Saturday morning. $20 man. Play a little 4 man game plus skins.
Sunday afternoon with my 25 year old. He needs 1 more score to have an official handicap.

Most likely Neshanic for me, though I may shake it up and head to Spooky Brook. Haven't played there in close to 20 years.
I know Neshanic is nicer, but sometimes you need to see a different course.

Reactions: mcbabz
Most likely Neshanic for me, though I may shake it up and head to Spooky Brook. Haven't played there in close to 20 years.

Neshanic is nice but very tough... i lost quite a few at the course

Anyone play Galloping Hill lately? I have an outing there in two week, but have never been there.

The key to getting in more golf is to retire from work.

This morning I played for the 11th consecutive day with a tee time scheduled for 6:18 tomorrow.

It also helps that I can get from the house to the clubhouse in about 4 minutes

Spooky Brook was in great shape as of Saturday morning. While it is still relatively wide open as compared to 20 years ago, it has a few more areas of long grass that will eat up errant shots. Absolutely love/hate the Par 4 14th hole - best hole on the course by far.

Any of you guys ever play the gold course at Flanders? I'm supposed to play there this weekend. I think I've played the other 18 there. Sounds like the gold course is a little more hilly from reading up on it.

Any of you guys ever play the gold course at Flanders? I'm supposed to play there this weekend. I think I've played the other 18 there. Sounds like the gold course is a little more hilly from reading up on it.

Sounds like you are playing the red, gold combination of 9's. Yes, hilly with blind shots. Not an easy walk.

Got invited to Greenwhich CC tomorrow. Heard the course is just ok but bet it will be in great condition considering the money in that club.

Anyone play Galloping Hill lately? I have an outing there in two week, but have never been there.
I played there on Tuesday. That was the course I grew up playing 27 holes 3-4 days a week during the summers in high school and college.

Course is in great shape. They are getting ready for the NJ Open so the rough is getting deep. It should be in tournament conditions when you play.

I played there on Tuesday. That was the course I grew up playing 27 holes 3-4 days a week during the summers in high school and college.

Course is in great shape. They are getting ready for the NJ Open so the rough is getting deep. It should be in tournament conditions when you play.

Was pretty much a cow pasture when I last played it in the mid 80's.

Was pretty much a cow pasture when I last played it in the mid 80's.
That was my timeframe as well. Several of the holes (ex.holes 10 and 15) have had major renovations. No more blind tee shot over the hill on 10. I will always recall the hollow sound walking on the fairways due to the low water table on the low lying holes, but that is now gone. Much improved drainage. As wel as several of the old weeping willows. Still a tough course for a county course.

Gold course is the most hilly of the 4 nines at Flanders. I find the Red course the easiest and least hilly nine there. Played the Blue to White at Flanders last Monday and then played Sunset Valley Tuesday through Friday. I was asked to play Sunset again today but decided against it...didn't want to hear my wife complaining that I play more golf then the pros. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I loved the Gold nine at Flanders. It had great elevation changes, chutes off the tee, sidehill lies on the fairways. I thought the greens were great for a muni. I shot a 42 on the front Gold. Then you make the turn and the Red nine is pretty flat and blase. I ended up shooting 37 on the Red.

Reactions: Veiox and tychicus
looking forward to next week, hopefully the weather cooperates:

Monday - TPC Jasna Polana
Thursday - Hamilton Farms

Not sure I'll have a week with two courses of this level together again, only thing missing is Ridge, which I hope to play again in early August.

just shot a 93 at Rutgers yesterday... still trying to break 90 this summer.

birdied the 18th

I'll always remember the 18th at Rutgers as it was my first ever eagle....
a wedge from about 80 yards, two hops and then plopped in, an eagle 3.
That was approx. 1974 Only three other eagles since, although I stopped playing for about twenty years

Anyone else playing in the WCTC charity tournament July 25?

Reactions: tychicus
I'll always remember the 18th at Rutgers as it was my first ever eagle....
a wedge from about 80 yards, two hops and then plopped in, an eagle 3.
That was approx. 1974 Only three other eagles since, although I stopped playing for about twenty years

Anyone else playing in the WCTC charity tournament July 25?

missed my first hole in one by about 3" on Monday at Rutgers #17....love tap in birdies

Speaking of holes in one, has anyone participating in this thread ever gotten one. I have not in 40 years of playing golf. No eagles either.

Speaking of holes in one, has anyone participating in this thread ever gotten one. I have not in 40 years of playing golf. No eagles either.

I got one in 2007 at the former Bamm Hollow CC in Middletown. A 7 iron from 157 yards. Hit on the front of the green and rolled 35 feet into the cup. They gave me a flag from the hole with my name, date, club used and distance sewn into the flag. It is framed and hanging on the wall above the TV in my den. I bought drinks for everyone in the clubhouse for an hour after the round. Funny how guys who were drinking Coors Light switched to top shelf liquor when they heard the news. Go figure.

I've had a couple of Eagles on a par 4 and a par 5 but those mean very little compared to the hole in one.

I had one as a beginner (I think I was 17) at a little par 3 course. I forget the name of it, but it was near Jumping Brook. 140 yard 9 iron. Still have the ball and tee. Didn't even see it go in the hole but the group at the tee ahead of me ran over to the green screaming.

I had one on July 13, 2012 on the 4th hole at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club in Jupiter FL which is now Trump National Jupiter. 141 Yards with a 7 Iron. How do I know all this. The ball and plaque is mounted on my wall in my office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT