ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are you all drinking tonight

We did burgers last night, I picked up some Samuel Adams Octoberfest - boy, did that remind me of tailgating on RU game day!
I did want to mention to all of you that if you like Oktoberfest style beers there are alot better choices that Sam Adam's. I mean a ton more! Start with real German made Oktoberfest beers like Hofbrau and Paulaner which are priced the same or cheaper. Or small batch locals like Neshaminy, Sly Fox or Cape May.

I did want to mention to all of you that if you like Oktoberfest style beers there are alot better choices that Sam Adam's. I mean a ton more! Start with real German made Oktoberfest beers like Hofbrau and Paulaner which are priced the same or cheaper. Or small batch locals like Neshaminy, Sly Fox or Cape May.

I really like sam October so I will give your recommendations a shot. Are they much better?

About 2 years ago I had co-workers and still good friends who traveled to Belgium and Germany. They brought back one I had never heard of. I tried it and loved it. It was from Brewery De Halve Maan in Bruges, Belgium called Bruges Zot. A Belgian Blond Ale, a style I love and this is the best by far. It's going to be a hard find manly because people like me, who once they find who they can get it from don't give up the secret! Lol. Look for it and ask for it especially if you like Belgian Blond Ales. More about the beer here.

I really like sam October so I will give your recommendations a shot. Are they much better?
Try to find the Hofbrau or the Paulaner Fest Bier. That is a different style than the Marzen style we get but it's the only style sold in Munich. There is a big reason. They sell a lot more as people love it. Sam Adams on tap is actually good but no so good in the bottle. However, yes try others.

Reactions: Plum Street
I was picking up SA Octo Friday afternoon so Tyler and I could have it with our burgers that night. I'm not married to SA, and it's friggin' expensive, so I'm more than happy to try others. We get our liquor from Wine Traders here in Wayne, so I'll check out those and any other names you suggest.

Having some Icarus AK-47. A Russian Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, macadamian nuts and coconut @ 14.5%. Surprisingly does not taste that strong

Tried the Paulaner blonder bottle . Very good .

How is Cape May's, scale of 1-10?

I was picking up SA Octo Friday afternoon so Tyler and I could have it with our burgers that night. I'm not married to SA, and it's friggin' expensive, so I'm more than happy to try others. We get our liquor from Wine Traders here in Wayne, so I'll check out those and any other names you suggest.

Another vote for the Paulaner and Hofbrau Oktoberfest beers from Germany. Get the Paulaner one with the blue packaging, not the Marzen with the tan pkg.

I never buy Sam Adams, so wouldn’t try their Oktoberfest. It’s likely a Marzen style.

Last edited:
For those familiar tell me about the beers at Asbury Park Brewing. Available now in Philly. Only 3 styles available for me to bring in. Blonde,Sea Dragon, Stout

Having Mast Landing Gunners Daughter Milk Stout. Very good.

From Untapped
A beautifully aromatic and balanced milk stout with delicious notes of peanut butter, coffee, and dark chocolate. This dark, mythical beer nods to the long-passed legends of our region’s seafarers. (Does not contain nuts or peanuts)

Austrian Maerzens are pretty good, too. And on tap year round!

Probably not available here, though.

Plenty of German Oktoberfest beers still available here in FL, especially Hofbrau and Paulaner Fest styles. I should have stock of these until Thanksgiving. May be my favorite beers.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
Don't drink Scotch but John is a sipper.

What's a great Single Malt for a gift ?

People are showing Mac 18 a lot here......or.....is there something better that isn't well known ?

Stiegl is availabile in the US. I've had Frohenburger in a place in Brooklyn but never seen it anywhere else.
Ayinger makes a great Marzen in Bavaria that also easy to get in the U.S. but a bit pricey. About $3 a 1/2 liter bottle but fantastic.

Reactions: fsg2

Having a Cape May Oktoberfest Marzen right now. Picked up that and Cigar City Good Gourd last night to enjoy during Cranford's socially distanced Octoberfest celebration.

Reactions: fsg2 and Postman_1
So this was odd. I cracked open a dogfish 120 that we had been saving last night while we were sitting outside. Poured it into 2 glasses and within seconds there were a dozen gnats inside the glass. Very odd how fast they were attracted. I drank it anyway along with the glass I poured for my daughter since she refused to. 12 oz of that will make you feel good. Just had to spit out the gnats like seeds

• Wow
Reactions: ATIOH and WhiteBus
So this was odd. I cracked open a dogfish 120 that we had been saving last night while we were sitting outside. Poured it into 2 glasses and within seconds there were a dozen gnats inside the glass. Very odd how fast they were attracted. I drank it anyway along with the glass I poured for my daughter since she refused to. 12 oz of that will make you feel good. Just had to spit out the gnats like seeds
Very sweet. I think raisens are a part of the brew. Aged it's very good. Fresh nasty.

Had a 22 oz of homebrew IPA, thought it a little hot of the start, but I enjoyed it more as I finished the bottle.

Wet Ticket Scarecrow juice - one of the better pumpkin beers I've tried.
DogFish pumpkin ale - above average beer, think Wet Ticket's offering was slightly better
Flying Fish Oktober Fish - average october fest

Don't drink Scotch but John is a sipper.

What's a great Single Malt for a gift ?

People are showing Mac 18 a lot here......or.....is there something better that isn't well known ?

Mac 18 will cost you over $200 so depends on your budget. if you don’t want to overspend but still get something high quality go Lagavulin 16. You can get it for $70. @DJ Spanky can give you a much wider option grouping if you give us your $$ spend.

Watching the Yanks tonight and enjoying an in-home flight of BT Mash Bill #1: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT