ADVERTISEMENT

OT: what is Devco building across from the train station?

I don't know if the plan was finalized but going to be mixed project commercial and residential.

Anything is better than the Ferran deck, but this plan is just meh.

It was/is supposed to be a massive mixed use area. They haven't done anything in a year though, looks like a huge liter box after they demo'd everything. Phil Murphy came in and tried to take credit for the project, which I got a good chuckle out of because it was already a liter box after he got elected.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It was/is supposed to be a massive mixed use area. They haven't done anything in a year though, looks like a huge liter box after they demo'd everything. Phil Murphy came in and tried to take credit for the project, which I got a good chuckle out of because it was already a liter box after he got elected.
NB could really use some public/green space, especially in the downtown section.

I thought they were building the new 20,000 seat Rutgers Athletic Centre with student housing on top and restaurants/retail on ground level with abundant parking underground. They could call the gym "Pikes Place"
That would make more sense than just additional "mixed use" space.

I saw when Murphy did a press conference about the site. I also remember 2 years earlier when the project was announced. When Murphy was asked how it was going to be financed, he said he didn't know. I spoke with a guy from PSEG a few years ago who said the site was being considered for a new HQ but they decided to stay in Newark. I assume nothing will be built until they find a company to move there.

Reactions: RUskoolie
240px-DeathStar2.jpg

They found another copper vein and are milking that before they build another bland structure. That's where they should build a new RAC.

Reactions: soundcrib
The problem with a downtown sports arena is that there is NOWHERE to put an additional 5000 cars.
What do they do at the ROC in Newark? I’ve only taken the train there.

And IMO we would never need something that seats 20K. That would be way way too big.

Reactions: ATIOH and 17Q66

And IMO we would never need something that seats 20K. That would be way way too big.

There are a couple of massive pay lots just a couple blocks away. There's one right across the street, but it's a bad choice because it's tough to get out of, post-event.

haha I got a great idea.. use eminent domain to take away JnJ's open space and build a giant parking deck there.

I would say a 4,000 seat Ice Arena..... tiered parking garage underneath ..... restaurant space above the ice...... with 5 star athlete housing over the restaurants (may be high enough for a rooftop terrace where the lights of the NYC skyline can be seen.

Don't forget the athlete's only swimming pool on the terrace

Newark has several large parking faciltities, and Newark also has significantly more Mass Transit. There are multiple NJ Transit rail lines (NE Corridor, Shore, and Raritan Valley lines all go to Penn Sta, and Gladstone, Morristown, and Montclair Boonton lines go to Broad St Sta) plus PATH (and a limited light rail and subway). New Brunswick only has the NE Corridor, so rail is only a viable option for those who live along the one line from New Brunswick.

Newark has several large parking faciltities, and Newark also has significantly more Mass Transit. There are multiple NJ Transit rail lines (NE Corridor, Shore, and Raritan Valley lines all go to Penn Sta, and Gladstone, Morristown, and Montclair Boonton lines go to Broad St Sta) plus PATH (and a limited light rail and subway). New Brunswick only has the NE Corridor, so rail is only a viable option for those who live along the one line from New Brunswick.
Like the ROC, guess that’s why the Barclays and MSG are where they are too...easy in, easy out.

But with something half the size, like the one in Trenton, it might be a little easier to manage.

If you guys are saying 5K spots for 20k seats. What is the calculation for one half the size with a larger percentage of walk ups (students)? Obviously it would be used for other things but would think Rutgers would be the main tenant.

Like the ROC, guess that’s why the Barclays and MSG are where they are too...easy in, easy out.

But with something half the size, like the one in Trenton, it might be a little easier to manage.

If you guys are saying 5K spots for 20k seats. What is the calculation for one half the size with a larger percentage of walk ups (students)? Obviously it would be used for other things but would think Rutgers would be the main tenant.

I don't know that a NB arena would really require 5000 parking spaces. Figure a 10,000 arena with 2000 students and 1000 people taking mass transit. So you need parking for 8000 people. At 2.3 people per car, that is about 3500 parking spaces. The Yellow and Green lots at the RAC have a total of 2500 parking spaces.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don't know that a NB arena would really require 5000 parking spaces. Figure a 10,000 arena with 2000 students and 1000 people taking mass transit. So you need parking for 8000 people. At 2.3 people per car, that is about 3500 parking spaces. The Yellow and Green lots at the RAC have a total of 2500 parking spaces.

Except that a 10,000 seat arena isn't really a worthwhile upgrade, I don't think.

I thought they were building the new 20,000 seat Rutgers Athletic Centre with student housing on top and restaurants/retail on ground level with abundant parking underground. They could call the gym "Pikes Place"
You put the arena on top and call it pikes peak.

The discussion of parking assumes that a new arena is a worthwhile upgrade. If it isn't a worthwhile upgrade, parking doesn't matter.

My point being that 10k isn't big enough, I don't think. It would need to be 12k-15k to broaden the utility. Ergo, more parking spaces would be required.

I think the idea is a non-starter.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Can't shore line people change in Rahway to get to New Brunswick?

My point being that 10k isn't big enough, I don't think. It would need to be 12k-15k to broaden the utility. Ergo, more parking spaces would be required.

I think the idea is a non-starter.

Since we just spent money on the whole practice facility thing.. idea is dead.. but as an idea.. it is nice to think about.

what about a smaller arena (5000 capacity) for RU hockey? might as well dream..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT