ADVERTISEMENT

Our "long term" worry.

IMO, I don’t think so because some of those blue bloods will be blue dregs and I doubt they or their fans want that. Everyone can’t be a winner.

I think it cements as the P2 with 20-24 teams in each eventually. What I could see is a mini playoff in each leading to the champs of each playing for the NC. Just like I’ve said a sort of pseudo NFL…AFC and NFC champ play in a Super Bowl. Also what I could see is maybe a lining up and then pooling of tv rights of the B10/SEC to chop in many different ways among media outlets and streams.
BTW as to the playoff scenario I mentioned in this post, IMO that's something I think could happen. It doesn't mean I think for sure will happen. I still think for political and participation reasons etc...the B10/SEC will want to have the other conferences be involved. The other conferences just won't have as much say in how it looks compared to the say they had in this last playoff proposal that was rejected. So everyone gets on board with whatever the B10/SEC propose for a playoff or the B10/SEC will just hold their own NFL-like playoff I mentioned above. So it'll be like come on board and join us in the playoff format we've come up with or we'll just go have our own playoffs. I'm guessing the B10/SEC will take the lion's share of whatever playoff money too because the other scenario would have them taking all of it.

All this is very exciting and going Big has been great for RU. RU just has to keep using its membership to up its game athletically, academically and alumni support wise. We’ve already seen a huge improvement in RU athletics over the past few years thanks to Big membership. Academically we have the Honors College. Now having the opportunity to play USC and UCLA in FB, hoops, baseball, etc., is just another great selling point. Not only for potential top notch athletes but also for top notch students.

BTW as to the playoff scenario I mentioned in this post, IMO that's something I think could happen. It doesn't mean I think for sure will happen. I still think for political and participation reasons etc...the B10/SEC will want to have the other conferences be involved. The other conferences just won't have as much say in how it looks compared to the say they had in this last playoff proposal that was rejected. So everyone gets on board with whatever the B10/SEC propose for a playoff or the B10/SEC will just hold their own NFL-like playoff I mentioned above. So it'll be like come on board and join us in the playoff format we've come up with or we'll just go have our own playoffs. I'm guessing the B10/SEC will take the lion's share of whatever playoff money too because the other scenario would have them taking all of it.
This. The playoff money will also be what keeps the B10 and SEC from ever merging (along with the Midwest / West blue bloods not wanting to be in a conference with the Southern schools to begin with). The type of playoff structure about to be established would be too big to make sense with only one relevant conference. Can’t have the playoff literally just be a drawn out repeat of a 12 game regular season. Too many eyeballs would get lost early that way.

And I agree - the other conferences will be included in the playoff. I think what will happen is they will settle on a 12 team format. The higher tier bowl “tie-ins” might end up evolving into openers (TV viewing) for the 11 playoff games. Of course, most of those tie ins would be for SEC vs BIG and the outcomes would impact the final top 25 rankings so not quite as meaningless as an NIT bid from a revenue standpoint. There would be viewing interest akin to the current bowl system. The lesser bowls could continue as they always have I guess.

Reactions: Jimpeg
How about we all start thinking more optimistically on these boards!!

How about we become the king of all college football with the massive amount of $$$ we are about to get in the BEST conference in the land along with the Tri state media backdrop. We can be the new blue blood
Didya ever notice that a large majority of the negative, hand wringing, we are doomed, worst case scenario posts come from posters with names like super fan, biggest fan, #1 fan, etc.?

It could . But we bring nyc market and we stink. Body of work is we stink .The big dogs like getting wins against someone .
And if we ever get respectable we will bring in tv dollars
Rutgers Sports is on the rise.

Check the several non-revenue sports that were at the top of the Big Ten Conference competing.

We are rising at the right time and two years from now Football will be very competitive.....and the new york metro money will start flowing.

An astute observation and a worry going forward for RU. Why more of the cheerleaders don’t understand this is perplexing. Conference expansion is a double edged sword and nothing is guaranteed.
You mentioned cheerleaders. Really looking forward to the games against USC and UCLA. Might even watch the games.

And some on this board could use some "cheering up". Go RU!!!!

USC-Cheerleaders.jpg

1c40068a7984ef45de831807ca64acbd.jpg

b3d0f8db83134b978e44ff416ee656d4.jpg

ucla-cheerleaders.jpg

What a loser mentality. Rutgers is on the upswing. Our athletic dept is getting better and better. They're bringing the BDE and the fans should follow suit.
A lot of Message Board Genius material in the first several posts, right? Have said it before, would not want some of our fans in the proverbial foxhole. Some of them would shoot themselves and would be worrying out loud about what is the use in fighting because we would lose the battle and the war.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersron
All this is very exciting and going Big has been great for RU. RU just has to keep using its membership to up its game athletically, academically and alumni support wise. We’ve already seen a huge improvement in RU athletics over the past few years thanks to Big membership. Academically we have the Honors College. Now having the opportunity to play USC and UCLA in FB, hoops, baseball, etc., is just another great selling point. Not only for potential top notch athletes but also for top notch students.
God I love your thoughts, exactly what I was thinking.
But what about the few million dollars you need to promise a 17 year old rising senior?
Seems to me the starting 22 of a competitive B1G team averages out to about 30 million a year to keep up.
Time for our fans to Pony up I’ve been told….lol

Last edited:
This. The playoff money will also be what keeps the B10 and SEC from ever merging (along with the Midwest / West blue bloods not wanting to be in a conference with the Southern schools to begin with). The type of playoff structure about to be established would be too big to make sense with only one relevant conference. Can’t have the playoff literally just be a drawn out repeat of a 12 game regular season. Too many eyeballs would get lost early that way.

And I agree - the other conferences will be included in the playoff. I think what will happen is they will settle on a 12 team format. The higher tier bowl “tie-ins” might end up evolving into openers (TV viewing) for the 11 playoff games. Of course, most of those tie ins would be for SEC vs BIG and the outcomes would impact the final top 25 rankings so not quite as meaningless as an NIT bid from a revenue standpoint. There would be viewing interest akin to the current bowl system. The lesser bowls could continue as they always have I guess.
I do think first notion by the B10/SEC is to have participation beyond just themselves. It doesn't mean fair and even but just inclusive. I thought the last proposal was fair, even and inclusive but this next one probably just inclusive. I think it could be something really simple just like it is now. Right now it's 4 at large bids. I could see it be just 12 at large bids and you know the B10/SEC are going to get multiple teams in and technically gives everyone a chance. Maybe they cap it at 5 from 1 one conference? So that could leave 2 or 3 spots for the others.

People want to keep constricting and constricting down to only the blue bloods but that's not a good idea for the reasons I mentioned above but also because you want to have widespread interest in the sport. Continued constriction/consolidation not only reaches diminishing returns it probably turns into a negative return IMO so you have to be careful just how far you push it.

NFL is the best at it because of the salary cap, revenue sharing and the draft so every fanbase across the country from small to big markets always have hope and interest. To me that's a big reason it stays popular. Now you're not going to get all that in college but keeping conference revenue distribution even or fairly even and increasing playoff access are things that can keep interest up because fans feel like they still have a chance to do something meaningful every year. Encroach on that too much and you can't say that for sure.

A lot of Message Board Genius material in the first several posts, right? Have said it before, would not want some of our fans in the proverbial foxhole. Some of them would should themselves and would be worrying out loud about what is the use in fighting because we would lose the battle and the war.
I'm not going to say anything about anyone, some have a tendency to worry and it is what it is. It's just a personality trait, nothing wrong with it. But you know I remember not too many years back after we got in the B10, the worry among some was that the tv rights revenue bubble was about to pop. It was man we finally reached the "promised land" and the dollar signs flashing in front of us were about to be taken away. Well we know how that has turned out.

You overrate markets. We are moving beyond the business model that got us into the big ten (higher cable subscription fees being charged to everyone in the market for the conference network) and towards a combo of national/regional TV rights, and streaming.
Great to see you around these parts again. Expansion for the B1G is going exactly how we got in. You tech guys have been screaming streaming for well over 10 yrs.. People will still have cable and cable will always be #1 in homes, we're not all techies. And even if it goes to Prime or Apple streaming services, those services will want the league which is in the largest media marks. They're buying packages, not individual games, this isn't a la carte and never will be. Streaming services in football will always play second fiddle.

Last edited:
Hate to interrupt the self-loathing, but a couple of data points. Granted RU is newer to the B1G, but:

Since 2003, Indiana is 85-141 in football.
Illinois is 78-149 over the same period.
Maryland is 104-124 over the same period.
Rutgers is 109-124 over the same period, including the dreadful Ash error.
From 1983-2002, Northwestern was 73-150 in football until Pat Fitzgerald took over. They did not get kicked out.
Until PJ Fleck turned it around, Minnesota was 99-103
Over the last 7 seasons, Nebraska is 87-90.

Please stop with Rutgers is a sad sack routine and is going to get kicked aside, discounted or kicked out. Have you worrywarts noticed Rutgers athletics is on a huge upswing? Look up, not down.

Last edited:
Rutgers is the most fascinating and unique program in college sports.
RU has the biggest potential of any P5 program and yet probably the biggest delta to make up in terms of perception and facilities.
i doubt any programs get kicked out…the optics would be bad and nowadays that matters.

one thing is true…we won or are top 5 in the realignment standings.

Reactions: Steve91562
An astute observation and a worry going forward for RU. Why more of the cheerleaders don’t understand this is perplexing. Conference expansion is a double edged sword and nothing is guaranteed.

As someone mentioned above, unless another school is moving their campus into Tri-State area, there is no need for concern. It’s all about the media rights and RU being in the #1 media market, the BIG isn’t going to kick us out. I mean they just expanded to LA area, not the BIG geography that we are accustomed to, it’s about being in the #2 media market. It’s all about TV eyeballs revenue for the BIG, we are not going anywhere, money talks regardless of how pathetic our football program is.

Multiple schools bolted from the Big East for more money and left their conference mates high and dry

Nebraska and Maryland bolted for more money

USC and UCLA bolted for more money

Texas and Oklahoma bolted for money and left their old conference high and dry.

The B1G expanded for more money

And people really believe that OSU, Mich, MSU and others would never bolt the B1G to form a superconference and leave us out? Really??

Rutgers Sports is on the rise.

Check the several non-revenue sports that were at the top of the Big Ten Conference competing.

We are rising at the right time and two years from now Football will be very competitive.....and the new york metro money will start flowing.
When you’re at the bottom , the only way to go is rise. Schiano has gotten us off the bottom and we are rising . Go ru

Reactions: RUboston
Multiple schools bolted from the Big East for more money and left their conference mates high and dry

And people really believe that OSU, Mich, MSU and others would never bolt the B1G to form a superconference and leave us out? Really??
87vA.gif

There’s a distinction in those cases vs a P2. None of them wanted to leave but they were worried about being left behind financially and just in general. That’s how the inertia of not wanting to go is overcome. It was out of necessity not choice these schools left their conferences.

If you’re in the P2 as a big brand you’re not being left behind financially and will be at that top of the sport in finances and tv rights. There’s no necessity to move. That was not the case in any of those other moves. Second you’re not being locked out of very good access to the playoffs and championships either. In actuality, you’ll be dictating how the whole playoff is setup.

All those other moves were precipitated by positions of weakness. The P2 is only in a position of strength on the college landscape.

Yep ! Amen
Rutgers is the most fascinating and unique program in college sports.
RU has the biggest potential of any P5 program and yet probably the biggest delta to make up in terms of perception and facilities.
i doubt any programs get kicked out…the optics would be bad and nowadays that matters.

one thing is true…we won or are top 5 in the realignment standings.
1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. Louisville
4. Utah
5. South Carolina
6. FSU

There’s nothing to worry about. Every successful conference has to have bottom feeders. The B1G would rather it be Rutgers than Michigan.

Didya ever notice that a large majority of the negative, hand wringing, we are doomed, worst case scenario posts come from posters with names like super fan, biggest fan, #1 fan, etc.?
Are they likely fans of other schools trying to rain on our parade?

When you have to profess your fandom to other fans of the same team, makes one think, you're really a fair-weather fan. Shift you know what fanbase meets the description. 😁

1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. Louisville
4. Utah
5. South Carolina
6. FSU
I meant 2010 and beyond realignment. Success includes money making and appreciable success. A&M and Mizzou have to be on the top 5 list. MD was already in a decent conference and South Carolina has been in the SEC since the early 90s or earlier.

my list would be:

A&M
Rutgers
Mizzou
TCU
Utah

You must be related to "Manhattan" and his whiny-ass brother "SickOfLosing" aka "CuredByWinning."

If this is what we’re actually worried about, then life must be going pretty well. I’m jealous
This idea of relegation makes no sense. Only Temple in CFB gets relegated. The B1G schools have huge R&D budgets with one another and academic collaboration is very important to B1G as they are business partners. These agreements are rarely broken.

I'm pretty confident Hobbs, Holloway and now Murphy are all in on RU sports.

How about we all start thinking more optimistically on these boards!!

How about we become the king of all college football with the massive amount of $$$ we are about to get in the BEST conference in the land along with the Tri state media backdrop. We can be the new blue blood
This will be wonderful if this B1G windfall is actually spent on athletics and not devoured by the NJ pigs with their snouts in the trough. NJ politicians can be trusted as far as they can be thrown.

This will be wonderful if this B1G windfall is actually spent on athletics and not devoured by the NJ pigs with their snouts in the trough. NJ politicians can be trusted as far as they can be thrown.
I feel like this has come up before. There are universities, I believe, whose athletics , between donation and contract, are so self sufficient, they give back to the university. Imagine that here. What would the professors bitch about

Agreed that someday when cable is dead and media markets mean nothing, only PPV subscriptions (ie streaming), we’ll be left out if we don’t garner some national attention soon

Reactions: superfan01
The only worry is how will Rutgers spend the $600 million over the life of the next contract or the $1 Billion plus dollars over the next 10 years.

Forget about sports- how difficult do you think it is to “just” boot a University out of a conference?
Now, sports. We are now investing in our sports(funny how things happen when you start making almost as much monet as the rest of the conference)
We hired a respected football coach. Hobbs has turned around everything. I’m just the past couple of years Ben’s BB has become relevant again, we have teams across the board fighting for conf championships and national tournaments, Olympic sports doing well. Seems like every time there are events like the Olympics, World Cup, etc…Rutger’s players are prominently involved.

mans here is the f-ing kicker…outside of NJ and our conference, most people around the country actually like us and love it when we do well.

so can we all just stop hating ourselves?

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
I feel like this has come up before. There are universities, I believe, whose athletics , between donation and contract, are so self sufficient, they give back to the university. Imagine that here. What would the professors bitch about

They're not giving back enough!

I don’t think it’s about getting kicked out of the B1G. It’s more about the future if the top schools leave the conferences altogether and create their own league. That is where we could get left out.

Reactions: ruinac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT