ADVERTISEMENT

PA paper's Ted Field analysis

KingHigh

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2005
Pretty good analysis of Field. His video is great. Going to keep RU qbs clean for years to come.

Field

It's obvious that Ted is a big and strong lineman. The question is his quickness. Is he quick enough to handle the big quick DTs in the B1G.

I have seen some of our current big strong OL get beat by swim moves and by quicker athletes. Some of this is technique but some of it is just not being quick enough to react to the DL.

I think with Ted's work ethic and desire he will be a good one.

Originally posted by miket007:

I was shocked he didn't have an instate offer from at least pitt
He completely shut down his recruiting a year ago. If he was still in the game, he'd have more stars and a lot more offers.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

He completely shut down his recruiting a year ago. If he was still in the game, he'd have more stars and a lot more offers.
Just because a kid "shuts down" his recruiting doesn't mean colleges won't offer.......

Just because a kid "shuts down" his recruiting doesn't mean colleges won't offer.......
Sure it does, if the kid in question is sufficiently aggressive about it. My understanding is that Ted isn't entertaining any conversations with other schools, period. He's just not talking to them. You're not gonna waste time and money recruiting a kid who has zero interest in talking to you.

Sure it does, if the kid in question is sufficiently aggressive about it. My understanding is that Ted isn't entertaining any conversations with other schools, period. He's just not talking to them. You're not gonna waste time and money recruiting a kid who has zero interest in talking to you.
^This. He's a top 15 PA kid. If he were as into self promotion as most of these guys, he'd be sitting on >10 offers by now.

Furthermore - if a kid is very very blunt about the finality of his decision a smart coach is going to assess the probability and is not going to make a highly visible overture if it is certain to be a highly visible rejection ... plus there could also be various collateral damage in the efforts to woo other prospects at that position.

Schools will still offer after a player shuts down his recruitment. They will talk to the high school Head Coach and let him know there's a offer. Whether or not other schools have contacted his coach remains to be seen.

There is no formal database of offers...the recruiting services get offers that are reported by the kid or their coaches.

In Ted's case, I'm fairly certain that schools would sniff around and if he told them in very certain terms that he is coming to Rutgers and not interested, they would move on. Even if they are persistent, they may say something like 'If things change, let us know as you have an offer waiting for you at Pitt (or elsewhere)'. Unless Ted tells everyone that Pitt just offered him, that conversation and opportunity is not out there in the public and we would never know. My personal guess is that those types of conversations have happened with other schools, but that they know Ted isn't interested.

Originally posted by RUchip:
Schools will still offer after a player shuts down his recruitment. They will talk to the high school Head Coach and let him know there's a offer. Whether or not other schools have contacted his coach remains to be seen.
YOU GO CHIPPIE!!! Keep working to tear down all of our recruits.

schneideryou-can-do-it.jpg

Originally posted by RealityChech2:
It's obvious that Ted is a big and strong lineman. The question is his quickness. Is he quick enough to handle the big quick DTs in the B1G.

I have seen some of our current big strong OL get beat by swim moves and by quicker athletes. Some of this is technique but some of it is just not being quick enough to react to the DL.

For what it is worth - Field is a black belt in karate (Tang Soo Do). He has
been practicing since he was 6 years old.
Figure he has an idea about what it means to get focused and make a lightening fast sudden move -
- have a hunch that his 'quickness' will be quite good.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

YOU GO CHIPPIE!!! Keep working to tear down all of our recruits.

ec
Ted and his family see no need to drool over every school that comes knocking...He is as firm to Rutgers as can be so there is no need to report every school and every offer to anyone.

Both Ted And Pollock have gotten plenty of calls and coaches telling them they have a offer waiting if they were to ever waiver in their decision. I have said it before about Pollock- if he re opened his recruiting- he would be a 20 offer guy. I think Ted would be double digits himself.

Actually, it does not remain to be seen. Field and Pollock do not bother reporting their offers because they are not into self-promotion. If the player does not report the offer, then you don't find out about it. So we will never know just how many offers they have now or have later. What we do know for sure is that the tape don't lie on either of these guys. And the more that scouts see these guys, the higher they shoot up the rankings.

Correct just stops us from hearing about them and being listed on recruiting sites.

Originally posted by KingHigh:

Actually, it does not remain to be seen. Field and Pollock do not bother reporting their offers because they are not into self-promotion. If the player does not report the offer, then you don't find out about it. So we will never know just how many offers they have now or have later. What we do know for sure is that the tape don't lie on either of these guys. And the more that scouts see these guys, the higher they shoot up the rankings.
Hicks was the same way.

Spanky what the hell are you talking about. Learn to read moron. I said schools still offer kids who shut down their commitment. No one knows if he's received more offers or not. How is that negative? Get a life

Chip- you are correct schools will still offer- spanky was commenting that you comment implies that he hasn't had those offers after his verbal.

And not sure why you think you will see. If the Field decide to only share with a few and don't make it public anywhere else, then what is it you expect to see? And if you don't Personally see a offer list for him, does it mean it didn't happen?

I can tell you he has had plenty of calls and contacts and other offers are there.

Originally posted by late knight:

And "beef on beef"! Love it!

Really! Why don't you take another look at the PSU game and see how many times #98 from PSU beat Johnson and Bujari and others with quick moves including swim moves. #98 is all of 270lbs.

Really! Why don't you take another look at the PSU game and see how many times #98 from PSU beat Johnson and Bujari and others with quick moves including swim moves. #98 is all of 270lbs.
And he I was thinking all this time that we needed to get bigger on the DLine. Silly me. We need more 270 lb guys who have swim moves.

And he I was thinking all this time that we needed to get bigger on the DLine. Silly me. We need more 270 lb guys who have swim moves.
Well, we both agree that you know nothing.

Thanks for confirming.

I am a HUGE fan of Field! I love his game, I love his love for Rutgers and early commitment, and I also love his whole Overall Nation. He seems like the type of kid who doesn't care about the non-sense he just wants to lift, play football, and win. And also get a great education while doing it. I can't wait to see him and Nick Krimin work together as they are both big boys at over 6'4 and over 300lbs.
If we can add Will Fries and Jordan Johnson this offensive line will be LEGENDARY!

Nobody makes a living using swim moves on a 6-6 325 lb o-lineman. The big 10 is beef-on-beef and Ted holds up his end of the bargain.
My reaction as well.

And here I was thinking all this time that we needed to get bigger on the DLine. Silly me. We need more 270 lb guys who have swim moves.
Perhaps we can get players who are both football lineman and on the swim team. Are there any specific strokes they should stand out in?

Holy Crap! You can go take a look at all of PSU's games and every highlight film there was all season- that number 98 on PSU was not stopped by ANYONE- if not the most dominate D player in the B1G he was in the top 5. He killed our line, he killed the lines of all the other B1G teams too.
And he did it with much much more than swim moves. BTW- we have a DT who at 260 or so lbs also destroyed a number of very good OL...just saying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT