ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 Players Threaten to Opt out of Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerns about racial injustice??? Does that include all the perks not offered to other students? I get the concerns over health but this is just jumping on the latest social media trend with no real meaning What exactly are they asking for? The article doesn’t say but I guess we will find out tomorrow

The hell with it, let them not play and graduate. Im sure they will all sign lucrative contracts in the NFL.

Pac-12 players demands not to boycott season include: commish Larry Scott, administrators & coaches must drastically reduce salaries; distribute 50% of each sport’s Pac-12 revenue among athletes in each sport & prohibit COVID agreements waiving liability

Clickbait title, opening paragraph clearly states:

"A group of Pac-12 football players from multiple schools is threatening to opt out of both preseason camps and games ..."

So this is not even players from every Pac-12 school involved.

No one said or held a gun to their head making them accept that scholarship offer to play their sport of choice. These players act like they didn't or still don't have options, yet they have many to choose from.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Clickbait title, opening paragraph clearly states:

"A group of Pac-12 football players from multiple schools is threatening to opt out of both preseason camps and games ..."

So this is not even players from every Pac-12 school involved.

I could be wrong but I think it’s mostly UCLA players. Chip Kelly on the hot seat as it is.

So let me get this straight.
These kids are worried about playing and being brought in to play when the schools are afraid to bring students back.
Concerned about social injustice
Feel that the other sports should also be protected by the money brought in by football

they are monsters! Just can’t make this shit up

It the PAC 12, would you expect anything less from a group of schools from California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. That conference is becoming less relevant every day. So don't play football, nobody is going to miss you, give some other deserving kid a chance.

So let me get this straight.
These kids are worried about playing and being brought in to play when the schools are afraid to bring students back.
Concerned about social injustice
Feel that the other sports should also be protected by the money brought in by football

they are monsters! Just can’t make this shit up
"Shut up and dribble"

These kids are insane. Many of their proposals are entirely unworkable at all, let alone trying to solve them in 3 weeks. They want 50% of the revenue? Ok, sure. What about the costs incurred to run a program? Would they like to contribute towards those? How about they settle for 50% of the net income instead. Just be ready to open those wallets to help cover the losses many of these athletic departments operate under. You can't just cherry pick football or men's basketball and say 'pay me' because those programs in a vacuum are revenue generating. Those few revenue generating sports need to cover the losses incurred to run the other 15-20 non-revenue generating (i.e. money losers) sports schools offer (many of which exist only due to Title IX requirements). You also need to cover infrastructure costs to keep a school on par with its peers to ensure it maintains a competitive and relevant program. This has to be viewed from the perspective of what it takes to fund and run an entire athletics department (which the vast majority lose money on). Players want to get paid, fine. But if that is the case, lets eliminate Title IX and schools should no longer be required to field non-revenue generating programs. Perhaps it is time to shut-down college football all together and let the NFL assume the burden to develop and fund its own feeder league system, similar to MLB.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
These kids are insane. Many of their proposals are entirely unworkable at all, let alone trying to solve them in 3 weeks. They want 50% of the revenue? Ok, sure. What about the costs incurred to run a program? Would they like to contribute towards those? How about they settle for 50% of the net income instead. Just be ready to open those wallets to help cover the losses many of these athletic departments operate under. You can't just cherry pick football or men's basketball and say 'pay me' because those programs in a vacuum are revenue generating. Those few revenue generating sports need to cover the losses incurred to run the other 15-20 non-revenue generating (i.e. money losers) sports schools offer (many of which exist only due to Title IX requirements). You also need to cover infrastructure costs to keep a school on par with its peers to ensure it maintains a competitive and relevant program. This has to be viewed from the perspective of what it takes to fund and run an entire athletics department (which the vast majority lose money on). Players want to get paid, fine. But if that is the case, lets eliminate Title IX and schools should no longer be required to field non-revenue generating programs. Perhaps it is time to shut-down college football all together and let the NFL assume the burden to develop and fund its own feeder league system, similar to MLB.
Like much else- it is to put concerns to paper. There will be others to try to exploit it from both sides but sometimes, as individuals, make a statement.
I don’t think any of them feel that all demands will be reached...I also feel, they will all be there.
Demands are almost impossible but you take the context alone...they make sense

Reactions: Greg2020
There is no true revenue in college athletics.

College athletics is a bizzaro world of "revenue," being....student fees, tax dollars, and alumi donations and TV money where 110 of the 120 division 1 programs LOSE money.

...where the labor is a "paid" scholarship, where an accountant could say that would be a fee paying seat if it wasn't an athlete ...where you hist throw up another foldong chair in the room.

This is the ONLY reason college athletics "works." If and when universities have to "revenue share," its over. Professionals have a tough enough time mangaing a franchise. Most college would just quit athletics

Like much else- it is to put concerns to paper. There will be others to try to exploit it from both sides but sometimes, as individuals, make a statement.
I don’t think any of them feel that all demands will be reached...I also feel, they will all be there.

That's fair and I get it to an extent. I think it is more applicable for certain of their arguments than others though. The social justice aspect makes more sense to me. That is more about having a voice, which they are using. Admittedly, it can't be solved overnight, but they are bringing their voices to the issues, which I understand. The financial arguments they are making are simply poorly thought out and unrealistic though. IMO, it really takes away from whatever legitimate claims on health and social issues.

It the PAC 12, would you expect anything less from a group of schools from California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. That conference is becoming less relevant every day. So don't play football, nobody is going to miss you, give some other deserving kid a chance.
Is there some kind of contract signed by student athletes on scholarship that would void the scholarship in an instance like this, if there isn’t their maybe soon, like has been said give the scholarship to someone else who would move mountains to get a college education , degree, room and board for free .

Get paid $50,000 scholarship to provide a service to t university that is mutually beneficial. If you don’t want to do it no one is forcing you, do but play but you don’t get paid so either pay for your own school if you want to stay or transfer wherever you can afford.

None of them will do it. Everybody just wants to be a part of a movement and pretend they're making a difference. Sad.
And realistically if those in power said you know what we ‘re going to disband the league . Now of course these administrators won’t do that but it would send a message back. Medical insurance check...

Not surprising that they are working with someone looking to effectively unionize college athletes.

The list of demands reeks of class struggle.

So much of it is unworkable. I feel a bit bad for college football players because there is no other realistic path to the NFL. College basketball players can play overseas or play in the g league or whatever its called.

The value in college athletics has less to do with the athletes than they realize. People don't watch college football because it's the best quality football around, if that's what people want to watch, they'll watch the NFL. People watch college football to support their local university or alma mater. If the uniforms didn't say Rutgers and said 'Central NJ Knights' and they were getting paid, i really wouldn't care (especially the garbage we watched the last few years).

Of course the schools DO take advantage of their leverage and make a fortune based on people watching, so they deserve plenty of blame for where we are as well.

Personally, I'd prefer the schools ACTUALLY make this about being students first and athletes second. I'm fine admitting borderline students if they've got a unique skillset, but if a guy has no business being at a university or is a criminal (Baylor, I'm looking at you) then the schools should say no. For kids that play football, they get scholarships and an education and get to represent THEIR university. It would be nice if there was more amateur in amateur sports.

How do they make any sense?
College athletes are being provided free educations at elite institutions (Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, UW, etc) to play a game they love, they generally get their asses kissed and the best of everything and to have a chance to play in the NFL. In a good number of instances, these students would not be granted admission to many of these institutions. Almost all colleges are extremely sensitive and accommodating to issues of race and sex discrimination, and they go out of their way to provide scholarships to economically disadvantaged students.

Please explain how in the context alone, they make sense? What more can colleges/universities do? They are doing an awful lot to level the playing field for those who have been traditionally discriminated against and the economically disadvantaged.

Not surprising that they are working with someone looking to effectively unionize college athletes.

The list of demands reeks of class struggle.

So much of it is unworkable. I feel a bit bad for college football players because there is no other realistic path to the NFL. College basketball players can play overseas or play in the g league or whatever its called.

The value in college athletics has less to do with the athletes than they realize. People don't watch college football because it's the best quality football around, if that's what people want to watch, they'll watch the NFL. People watch college football to support their local university or alma mater. If the uniforms didn't say Rutgers and said 'Central NJ Knights' and they were getting paid, i really wouldn't care (especially the garbage we watched the last few years).

Of course the schools DO take advantage of their leverage and make a fortune based on people watching, so they deserve plenty of blame for where we are as well.

Personally, I'd prefer the schools ACTUALLY make this about being students first and athletes second. I'm fine admitting borderline students if they've got a unique skillset, but if a guy has no business being at a university or is a criminal (Baylor, I'm looking at you) then the schools should say no. For kids that play football, they get scholarships and an education and get to represent THEIR university. It would be nice if there was more amateur in amateur sports.
And yet , we saw this coming long ago , as soon as the likenesses of the players were used on video games. There are several demands which are within reason the others? PAC 12 ...don’t bite the hand ...stroke the hands gently. Best one ...50% of the revenue generated and divided amongst the players. You will see a ton of empty seats .

Be honest here... a large % of these players would have been playing at Sheboygan U if the academic structures weren’t manipulated. Schools will pass the costs off to the alums and fans and really this is no time to be asking but hey,” if you don’t ask , you don’t know.”

How do they make any sense?
College athletes are being provided free educations at elite institutions (Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, UW, etc) to play a game they love, they generally get their asses kissed and the best of everything and to have a chance to play in the NFL. In a good number of instances, these students would not be granted admission to many of these institutions. Almost all colleges are extremely sensitive and accommodating to issues of race and sex discrimination, and they go out of their way to provide scholarships to economically disadvantaged students.

Please explain how in the context alone, they make sense? What more can colleges/universities do? They are doing an awful lot to level the playing field for those who have been traditionally discriminated against and the economically disadvantaged.
We have to separate our thoughts about them as athletes getting a free education so they do not have the right to express their beliefs. I work for a living, I make a lot more than these kids are making for a free education. If I felt my place of work was taking advantage of or could be doing more for something I really believed in, I would feel I have every right to make my concerns heard as well.
They are concerned about health during COVID-19, social injustice and the lessor sports not being supported.
Those are not crazy concerns. Are their demands unrealistic, yes they are. But the concerns do make sense even if they are getting a free education.

We have to separate our thoughts about them as athletes getting a free education so they do not have the right to express their beliefs. I work for a living, I make a lot more than these kids are making for a free education. If I felt my place of work was taking advantage of or could be doing more for something I really believed in, I would feel I have every right to make my concerns heard as well.
They are concerned about health during COVID-19, social injustice and the lessor sports not being supported.
Those are not crazy concerns. Are their demands unrealistic, yes they are. But the concerns do make sense even if they are getting a free education.
Those particular concerns are reasonable but several of the others which came out are where these young men need to temper... they are not professionals ( yet)

Respectfully disagree.
You said: I work for a living, I make a lot more than these kids are making for a free education. If I felt my place of work was taking advantage of or could be doing more for something I really believed in, I would feel I have every right to make my concerns heard as well"

As to your first part- of course you do. We all started out in the same (many of us probably worse) positions. Working for $7/hour while in college to pay my way through. First job out of college making less than $30K/year. Things went up from there, as they should if someone works hard and pursues the best opportunities and takes chances.

As to your second part--I was one of those people to a point--making my concerns heard. You know what? They fell on deaf ears or you were gently told that if you don't like it here, there's the door. I walked through a lot of doors early in my career, and a group of us eventually opened our own door, with a goal of making it the type of place we wanted to work in. I don't know if we succeeded--everybody left except me! But we do have a lot of people who have been with us since the early years, now going on 15 plus years.

From the end of the article - "And, if the program is indeed not allowing players who opt out of the season to participate in practice or any other team activities — a very reasonable stance if they are opting out over safety concerns — they need to state that."

If players are opting out of playing, why would they be included in practices? They spend much more time during the week practicing, lifting weights, etc, than they do playing on Saturdays. So that's much more exposure and a bigger risk than just playing the games.
For the record, I don't care either way what happens. If they feel strongly about these issues, then opt out, but opting out includes everything. Doesn't it?

The sports footprint in society has grown too large and disordered. Too many involved have become too selfish and spoiled. They think they cant turn back into a pumpkin again. NFL is in process of making gambling central. They are adding sensors to players and equipment to aid in gambling (and there will be lounges in stadiums). NFL owners are invested in DraftKings and big data firms. Fantasy football opened the door. NFL doesn't care its the young guys who will get addicted to all this. A pox on all of them.

A few years ago people were mad about the mishandling of sports. Now they've grown cold and that's worse. The great adjustment is at hand. "Pride goes before a fall."

From the end of the article - "And, if the program is indeed not allowing players who opt out of the season to participate in practice or any other team activities — a very reasonable stance if they are opting out over safety concerns — they need to state that."

If players are opting out of playing, why would they be included in practices? They spend much more time during the week practicing, lifting weights, etc, than they do playing on Saturdays. So that's much more exposure and a bigger risk than just playing the games.
For the record, I don't care either way what happens. If they feel strongly about these issues, then opt out, but opting out includes everything. Doesn't it?

Aren’t scholarships renewable on a yearly basis? If so the the WSU players who got cut will need to look for another team in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT