ADVERTISEMENT

Path to Bowl

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Rutgers has the potential to beat these 8 teams and maybe gets lucky and picks off one off the big dogs, not listed. Do you predict at least six out of this group as wins?

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State

Rutgers has the potential to beat these 8 teams and maybe gets lucky and picks off one off the big dogs, not listed. Do you predict at least six out of this group as wins?

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State

For me, it's hard to predict at this time. I would like to see what these teams do over the first 2-3 weeks of the season. If Rutgers continues to play like they did last night, the chance of six wins is substantially higher than if they regress.

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State[/QUOTE

I was happy that we looked like a real team again last night, but I want to see us vs Eastern Michigan before I feel comfortable predicting 6+ wins. I think it is possible.
Let's not jump the gun. Let's see how play against eastern mich next week.

Reactions: RUsince52
I think we get 5, hope we get 6

I agree with this, 5, the 6th would really need to be an upset. I'm happy to be having this conversation.
Going into the season, I was hoping to be competitive in losses, I think this is possible.

We know NOTHING at this point. We just don't. You can't judge our team -- or any other -- after one game. Have we learned NOTHING?????

After our first conference game, we'll talk.

We know NOTHING at this point. We just don't. You can't judge our team -- or any other -- after one game. Have we learned NOTHING?????

After our first conference game, we'll talk.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Last year I was DONE, for the season, by the middle of the 2nd quarter against that same team that we took to the 4th last night. There's plenty we can get out of that game. That being said, I agree in a sense, we have A LOT more to "learn" - good, bad, and hopefully not too much ugly - the next few weeks.

Ok I'll be the first......

Eastern Michigan!!

focus.png

Bus to Route 18 South. Take Ramp for 95/NJTP North.Pay toll at Exit 18E and proceed to GWB. Pay Toll. Take to The Cross Bronx Expressway. Exit at Jerome Ave. Follow to Yankee Stadium. Exit bus.

...I kid, I kid, we would have to get to 7 wins. 6 probably sends us to the Fruit-Of-The-Loom Bowl in Pau Pau, New Guinea.

Let's not jump the gun. Let's see how play against eastern mich next week.
Plus some games toward the end of the season might or might not mean something to both teams. Let's win the next two and look confident doing it before we start putting W' s in front of the other games.
At the very least we will be entertaining and competitive, but have to show progress on the field too.

I have no idea. We could win 6 of those games or just as easily lose 6 of those games. The team showed improvement last night but we still didn't win.
Exactly. Winning s game is different than being close or hanging in. We have to WIN!

Maybe. I don't really know. I think we are a lot better than last year after watching last night's game, but I'm not sure it's enough to beat Nebraska on the road or Michigan State. Plus a lot of the other games feel like tossups.

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State
Difficult but possible.

Maybe. I don't really know. I think we are a lot better than last year after watching last night's game, but I'm not sure it's enough to beat Nebraska on the road or Michigan State. Plus a lot of the other games feel like tossups.

Anyone who didn't see a change from last year's opener, to last night, either:

- was and still is plastered
- doesn't want to see/admit as much
- is dead

...BUT that doesn't mean we're even halfway though the woods yet, no, just that things LOOKED better last night.

Anyone who didn't see a change from last year's opener, to last night, either:

- was and still is plastered
- doesn't want to see/admit as much
- is dead

...BUT that doesn't mean we're even halfway though the woods yet, no, just that things LOOKED better last night.

Or still waiting on line at the east gate.

I'll be happy with a 4-8 season and improvement from game to game knowing that hopefully that the program is in good hands with Ash and Staff and we have a QB in the making...Then.for 2018: - 6-6 and then for 2019 and beyond - regulars to the more significant bowls games and competitive games against the monsters of the Big 10......

our fans need to slow down, while last night was very very encouraging we need to see more to find out what kind of team this is...we know its improved but HOW improved is unknown so annexing wins already is putting the cart before the horse..its a process

Reactions: RUSK97 and sct1111
our fans need to slow down, while last night was very very encouraging we need to see more to find out what kind of team this is...we know its improved but HOW improved is unknown so annexing wins already is putting the cart before the horse..its a process
Agreed. Did you see Maryland today? We are not beating them if we played them next week.

This season I want to see Rutgers with a minimum 6-6 record and bowl game invite.
But the only thing I will expect is to see improvement from last year's play and the team showing it is capable of being better next season. But that doesn't mean I expect a winning record ( not even a 6-6 one ) or a bowl invite this season.
Just want to be convinced RU FB is starting to become a good team and can expected it to be one fairly soon.
After that happens , will start hoping for greatness and playoff appearances. :pray::D

I agree, while we looked much improved, this game could be similar to the Iowa game of last year. I was very impressed with our dline but there are many aspects we need to improve drastically to beat good teams.

I'd remove Nebraska from that list. I know that they may not be your typical powerhouse Neb team this season, but hard to believe we can win in Lincoln at this stage of our program. Purdue will also be a battle. I don't think we win @MD either if they're really the team we saw yesterday @TX.

Now, here is a question...let's say we win 5 and are offerred to go to a bowl... Do we take that bowl or turn it down because it is embarrassing?

Way too small of a sample to predict much of anything. Maybe, we will not show the same energy we did last Friday night again. Let's see how this team performs in the next two games which, on paper, look winnable.

Reactions: rutger80
I LOVE THIS THREAD.

WE ARE RUTGERS FANS. If want to think pie in the sky then so be it. Its not like there is going to be a cesspool if we win four games instead of six. And its not like someone is predicting us in the College Football Playoff. So if you want to be the cool guy and said I told you so if we miss a bowl game then take it to another thread. This thread will be where we have some fun.

Reactions: ron313

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State
I would like to see us play a complete game and dominate Eastern Michigan in all phases of the game next week before I make any predictions like winning 6 games...everyone has potential to beat anyone else after week 1 except for the top 8 or so which seemed to be on another level

Eastern MI
Morgan State
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State
So obviously even though there are multiple paths every path HAS to have Eastern MI and Morgan State. I will submit that it also has to have Purdue and Illinois as well. If we lose any of those four we now have to pull off multiple upsets to get to six which is monumentally harder.

I think the key will be the Nebraska game. If we beat them we can start off the season 5-2 which I think will completely change the outlook and give us a ton of paths to a bowl. Lose to them then the Maryland game becomes a do or die game. If we lose to both Nebraska and Maryland technically there are still enough winnable games to get to a bowl but we need to be 5-5 after Penn State not 4-6 to have any shot.

By the way if we beat both Nebraska and Maryland we will be 6-3 and will get top 25 votes. That would be absolutely massive for this program and for recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT