ADVERTISEMENT

Path to Bowl

Not beating Nebraska or Michigan State so we have to go 6-0 against the rest, sorry but we won't be bowling this year

our fans need to slow down, while last night was very very encouraging we need to see more to find out what kind of team this is...we know its improved but HOW improved is unknown so annexing wins already is putting the cart before the horse..its a process
And we need to find out what kind of team Washington is... we are all assuming a top 10 team... they a stumble a little too.

Folks, we are not going to a bowl. To go from a conference record of 0-9 to 4-5 is simply too much to ask for. Baby steps, show the improvement not necessarily in the W-L record but on the field in general. Maybe win a game we were not supposed to along the way to hang our hat on.

Which bowl might that be? The flutie bowl? Rutgers played prevent offense on Friday. While the running game looked improved with Edwards, I have no idea if Rutgers has a med-long passing game or the athletes to make plays. The offense needs to open it up on Saturday so we can see if they have any players at wide receiver and if Bolin can throw a deep ball? Where were the 2 big recruits Melton and Wormley?

I watched football all day on Saturday and every team was throwing the ball all over the field whilst Rutgers plodded along mostly on the ground the whole game. To make a college football bowl Rutgers will have to ramp up this offense significantly just to keep pace @ the weekly high scoring college game.

The funny thing about this thread is that 4 of those teams listed probably have the exact same thread on their message boards. If you were a Maryland, Purdue, Michigan state, or Indiana fan you would be penciling in a win over RU after this week.

Friday nights game showed me (a) things are better and (b) RU should handle Illinois. However, RUs offense and special teams appear to still have a long way to go. Maryland, Michigan state and probably Indiana would be double digit favorites if we played next week. Purdue would probably be a coin flip.

The funny thing about this thread is that 4 of those teams listed probably have the exact same thread on their message boards. If you were a Maryland, Purdue, Michigan state, or Indiana fan you would be penciling in a win over RU after this week.

Friday nights game showed me (a) things are better and (b) RU should handle Illinois. However, RUs offense and special teams appear to still have a long way to go. Maryland, Michigan state and probably Indiana would be double digit favorites if we played next week. Purdue would probably be a coin flip.

Purdue would be the favorite

When you finish 0-9 B1G the previous year, you will be the underdog every single time.

I'd remove Nebraska from that list. I know that they may not be your typical powerhouse Neb team this season, but hard to believe we can win in Lincoln at this stage of our program. Purdue will also be a battle. I don't think we win @MD either if they're really the team we saw yesterday @TX.
LOL!

Rutgers looks better, and so does the entire Big Ten. A lot will depend on guys staying healthy.
yep conference is keeps getting better and better. thats what happens when more b10 teams hire quality coaches,
rutgers was suppose to get destroyed plays a good game with a top 10 team and wins the battle in the trenches
maryland takes it to texas all game even when they lose starting qb.
purdue was expected to be destroyed against a top 20 team. they lose 35-28 and look well coached

We're not going bowling. After watching some of our conference mates, I'm still hopeful we might get to 3-9, but with only 1-2 complete blowouts this year. And we're not going winless in conference this year. Doesn't sound good, but we'll see progress on the field.

While I am happy to entertain the thought that anything is possible and games are played on grass, not paper.. the way I look at it is this.. 3 probable losses to the big boys.. OSU. Mich and unfortunately Penn State. 2 likely wins in the next 2 games. That leaves 6 games to come up with 4 wins..and none of them are sure things...

Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
MI State

...we would do well to go 3-3 in those 6... we are going to have to fight every minute this year.. and maybe these next two games will set the morale high and the boys stay hungry.

So.. how might it play out game by game? Lets assume Nebraska is a win.. just to see what that might do to confidence, etc. Of course any game can be won or lost.. even Eastern Michigan if you believe the spread.

Sep 1 vs Washington L 30 - 14 0-1
Sep 9 vs East. Michigan 3:30 PM W 1-1
Sep 16 vs Morgan St. 3:30 PM W 2-1
Sep 23 @ Nebraska 3:30 PM EDT W 3-1
Sep 30 vs Ohio St. Time: TBD L 3-2
Bye Week
Oct 14 @ Illinois Time: TBD W 4-2 (they can smell bowl now)
Oct 21 vs Purdue 12:00 PM EDT W 5-2
Oct 28 @ Michigan 12:00 PM EDT L 5-3
Nov 4 vs Maryland Time: TBD L 5-4 (begin to feel desperate.. is it slipping away?)
Nov 11 @ Penn St. 12:00 PM EST L 5-5

Now we have to win one of the last two... it could all come down to how these teams are doing this year... have either of them lost heart?

Nov 18 @ Indiana Time: TBD
Nov 25 vs Michigan St.

So.. assuming we win the next two.. NEBRASKA may decide whether we are a bowl team or not. That game will be HUGE for morale and team expectations and they are real hard to beat in Lincoln.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT